NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 01-06-2007, 02:16 PM
Administrator

Default Transparency conversion

Posted By: leon

I have an opportunity to get some transparencies of some of the best 19th century memoribilia in the hobby, from one of our esteemed board members for show and tell. The only thing is that I have no idea how to convert them to a jpeg, or what it will take, to post on the board. I don't really want to buy a 100k machine to do it. Any suggestions? I am hoping I can get it done inexpensively somewhere or maybe a board member is in the business? Thanks in advance.

Old 01-06-2007, 02:22 PM
Administrator

Posted By: barrysloate

Make positive images out of the transparencies, which shouldn't cost much, and then post them. I bet I know which ones you mean

Old 01-06-2007, 02:23 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Griffins

Leon-
They need to be drum scanned. There are lots of service bureaus that can do this, but it would be 3-5K to buy a decent drumscanner, and that doesn't mean you'll be able to get good scans without being trained. If you'd like I can find a service bureau in Dallas, or can recommend mine in LA if you want to overnite them.
Flatbed scans (your basic scanner) won't have the shadow/highlight detail, and I"d bet the film might need a spot of retouching here and there to repair that which time removed.
Anthony

Old 01-06-2007, 02:26 PM
Administrator

Barry- no fair.....

Anthony- I will take any help I can get.... thanks too...

Old 01-06-2007, 02:27 PM
Administrator

Posted By: David Davis

For a few hundred dollars you can buy a scanner with a slide/transparency attachment that will scan up to 4" x 5" transparencies. I use one all the time and it works just fine. For larger sizes, you can buy separate attachments that are relatively inexpensive. Epson has a good line of products for this.

Old 01-06-2007, 02:30 PM
Administrator

Some are 4x5 and some are 8x10, I am told. Thanks again

Old 01-06-2007, 02:32 PM
Administrator

Posted By: davidcycleback

For transparencies that large, you can just scan or digitally photograph them with back light and produce jpg images good enough for the internet. Photo dealers scan negatives, slides and transparencies in all sizes all the time, and I've digitally photographed 35mm slides for eBay and produced good, big images. That yours are 4x5 and 8x10 will make them easier to scan or photograph than the 35mm I did.

Old 01-06-2007, 02:57 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Griffins

without getting too techno-geeky, a flatbed scanner typically will have a dynamic range of 3.4, while a laser drum scanner will be 4.0
What this means is more detail in the shadows, better detail in the highlights, and smoother tonal transitions. I"ve tried to come close with the best flatbed scanners (I had a Heidelberg) and even with layer masks and tweeking the scans they just looked so much better drum scanned. For prints, cards, etc flatbeds are fine, but for transparencies it's not even close, IMO.
Back when I shot film for jobs (I"m an advertising photographer) I tried to get around the expense and time constraints of drum scans, but just couldn't, except for down and dirty web usage- simple product stuff shot with controlled studio lighting. For anything with a full tonal range (eg non studio images) drum scans were and are the only way to go. If you want these to look good on the web and also be able to make prints with strong shadow and highlight detail I"d highly recommend doing it right so you don't have to do it over.