NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 01-14-2008, 07:47 AM
Administrator

Default Gypsy Queen Script Card

Posted By: Jay

For those of you who don't know, Joe Gonsowski and I are working on a book about the baseball card issues of Goodwin & Co(Old Judge/Gypsy Queens). In association with a chapter on Gypsy Queens I am trying to verify the existence of a Gypsy Queen script card. This would be a card where the player's name is not presented in block letters at the bottom of the card but rather in script letters in the photo. If anyone on the board has such a card(Connor is a likely candidate) please post an image or send me a scan at oldjudge@gmail.com

Thanks ---Jay

Old 01-14-2008, 08:03 AM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

Do Brownie Champs count?

Old 01-14-2008, 08:47 AM
Administrator

Leon--Thanks for responding, but no. These cards would be equivalent to Old Judge script cards and would include the following players(Esterbrook, Gerhardt, Lynch, Orr, Connor, Welch, Kelly and Phenominal Smith).

Old 01-14-2008, 11:33 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Bruce Babcock

Jay & Joe, is this what you are looking for? It's a script name within the photo.

Old 01-14-2008, 12:05 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Joe_G.

Close, but the Kelly you shared is the same as Leon's Brown's Champ card, that is, they are both short numbered cards/poses. Of the 10 Kelly poses, 3 are script & 7 are considered short numbered even though all 10 have "$10,000 Kelly" written in script. The 3 script Kelly cards (two portraits & a batting left handed pose) show him in a "Chicago" uniform with "Chicago" clearly visible. The 7 different Kelly cards in the short numbered series were modified a bit to replace "Chicago" with "Boston" where necessary.

Best Regards,
Joe Gonsowski

<edited to add pic of short number Kelly #5>

Old 01-14-2008, 05:23 PM
Administrator

Bruce--You found what I asked for but I should have been a little more precise with my wording. As Joe mentioned, two of the first Old Judge issues were the script series and the short number series. The basic differences between the two are that script cards have the players name written in script in the photographic area of the card and these cards are unnumbered. The short number series may or may not have the players name in script(in the case of Jim McCormick it is typeset) and all cards have a non-zero number in the upper right corner of the card. The script series was made up of the spotted ties and cards of the players I mentioned before, namely Connor, Esterbrook, Gerhardt, Kelly, Lynch, Orr, Phenomenal Smith and Mickey Welch. Of the ten Kelly N172 poses, as Joe also mentioned, three were script cards. The short number series is made up of the Brown's Champs, the 7 other Kelly N172 poses, 10 poses of Jim McCormick, a card of Chicago mascot Willie Hahm, and a two player card featuring Ned Williamson and the aforementioned Willie Hahm.
Unfortunately, the Gypsy Queen banner at the top of a Gypsy Queen card obscures a number, if there was one. For that reason, for a Gypsy Queen script card to exist it would have to be from one of the poses in the Old Judge script series, ie one of the 3 Kelly script poses or poses of other script series players.
Lew's Enclclopedia mentioned the existence of a Connor script Gypsy Queen card. I was just trying to get an image of such a card(Lew does not have an image) or of a different script card to confirm the existence of this variety.

Old 01-14-2008, 05:25 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Fred C

When is this book going to be released? Please let me know if you need someone to review it ahead of time.

Old 01-15-2008, 11:42 AM
Administrator

Posted By: dan mckee

I will check my Ewing tonight Jay but I think you have already seen it?? Dan.

Old 01-15-2008, 01:03 PM
Administrator

Dan--Thanks, but Ewing won't work. The only ones that are possible are the listed players. Ewing is interesting though as he does not have an 1886/1887 N172 but he does have a Gypsy Queen.

Old 01-15-2008, 05:21 PM
Administrator

Posted By: dan mckee

oh ok, sorry for my ignorance my friend. Dan.

Old 01-15-2008, 07:19 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Preece1

If your level of card knowledge could be viewed as ignorance, I hope to one day be ignorant.

Come on guys, easy lay-up here

Old 01-15-2008, 07:25 PM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

Throw one out here.....we're ready for it...

Old 01-16-2008, 10:16 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Bruce Babcock

Jay & Joe, I think I follow you now. I hope this won't be on the midterm . . . (insert smily face here).

Old 01-16-2008, 10:38 AM
Administrator

Bruce--No midterm for this course but we may require a paper.