NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 02-23-2021, 06:13 AM
Bill H@e1ig

Default RIP Ted Patterson

Ted Patterson who was a longtime Baltimore area TV/Radio Sports reporter & author who had amassed a huge collection of cards & memorabilia (the majority of which had been consigned to Love of the Game Auctions) passed away yesterday at the age of 76.

Here is an article about his collection from a couple years back:

https://www.sportscollectorsdaily.co...ummer-auction/
Old 02-23-2021, 06:26 AM
Raymond 'Robbie' Culpepper

Always sad to hear...RIP

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente
Old 02-23-2021, 08:37 AM

RIP, Ted.
Old 02-23-2021, 09:40 AM
Scott Gaynor

Back in 1996-97 I was running the auctions in SCD for Jay's Sports Connection in Towson MD. Ted was out biggest consignor. He had just purchased the remaining collection of Hobby Old Timer Wirt Gammon and we were breaking that up. Thousands and Thousands of publications, hundreds of T206's, some of the nicest N43's I have ever seen.

I went to Ted's house to see his collection and he had amazing stuff. I don't think the he spent more than 25 cents on anything that he owned either. Pretty much everything that he had he got for free in his job as a sports radio personality or in trade. As he walked out of the Orioles clubhouse he would just grab a few bats and bring them home. I guess nobody cared back in the 1970's.

He also told me why the Orlando Pena card in the 1973 Johnny Pro set was considered scarce. The set was given out at the ballpark for a home game, but they forgot to add the Pena card. Ted found them in the trash and brought them home, at one time he owned all of them.
https://www.ebay.com/sch/estate-find...1&_ipg=&_from=

Find my monthly auctions on auctionninja
https://www.auctionninja.com/gaynors-fine-consignments/
Old 02-23-2021, 10:13 AM
Jason Wells

Rip Ted. Amazing collection he amassed.
Old 02-23-2021, 12:06 PM
Al

I've been unbelievably fortunate to have become friends with Ted over the years, and I'm just so sad over his passing.

I'll never forget Ted's stories. I could - and did - sit and listen to him for hours.

Ted had an amazing collection, too, but I loved sitting with him just to hear those stories.

This morning I wrote something up about him, and about our relationship. If you're so inclined: https://lotgauctions.blog/2021/02/23/rip-ted-patterson/

-Al
Old 02-23-2021, 12:16 PM
Hank Thomas

Legendary collector, sports radio/tv personality, and a good friend. Rest in peace, Ted.
Old 02-23-2021, 12:17 PM
Don Hontz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al C.risafulli View Post
I've been unbelievably fortunate to have become friends with Ted over the years, and I'm just so sad over his passing.

I'll never forget Ted's stories. I could - and did - sit and listen to him for hours.

Ted had an amazing collection, too, but I loved sitting with him just to hear those stories.

This morning I wrote something up about him, and about our relationship. If you're so inclined: https://lotgauctions.blog/2021/02/23/rip-ted-patterson/

-Al
Al Very nice story on Ted, I enjoyed reading it--Sounds like he was a wonderful man---Sorry for your loss. Don
Old 02-23-2021, 02:51 PM
Paul Lehr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al C.risafulli View Post

-Al
That was a great read. Ted sounds like a great guy.
Old 02-23-2021, 04:52 PM

This was the lead on Baltimore sports talk radio today. Patterson spent 46 years covering Baltimore sports. I spoke to him a couple of times when he consigned some items to Huggins & Scott and always found him to be cordial and welcoming.

R.I.P.

Last edited by Orioles1954; 02-23-2021 at 04:52 PM.
Old 02-24-2021, 10:58 AM
Rich Rubin

Here's an obituary from today's Baltimore Sun. The thoughts expressed are all consistent with my wonderful experiences with Ted. He was incredibly knowledgeable and passionate about sports and our hobby. An afternoon with Ted at his house was a seminar in baseball and football history as we toured his extensive and varied collection. He will be missed.

https://www.baltimoresun.com/obituar...lse-story.html

Rich Rubin
Old 02-25-2021, 09:03 PM
Dan=iel Enri.ght

Beautiful, Al.