NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 10-09-2019, 09:13 AM
Howard Che.r.n.i.ck

Quote:
Originally Posted by buymycards View Post
I set up at card shows. I have a Wisconsin sellers permit and I pay sales taxes on everything that I sell at shows. I don't charge the customers, so I effectively lose 5.5% on every sale at a show. This has been going on for years. Nothing new. The Wisconsin Department of Revenue has been known to show up at shows to check the dealers to see if they have a sellers permit.

I also pay Federal and State taxes on my net profit at the end of the year, along with around 15% for Medicare and Social Security. When I purchase a collection I have to get if for a really low price in order to make a profit.

Most of my fellow dealers don't have a permit and they don't pay taxes on their sales. That is why most dealers don't accept debit or credit cards, or PayPal or checks. They deal in cash so they can avoid taxes.

It is hard for me to believe that paying sales tax on a purchases is a big hardship for most buyers, and I wouldn't let 5% stop me from buying something for my collection. The people who are cancelling purchases because of the sales tax are flippers, and the 5% eats into their profit.

Rick
Rick,

I agree with you 100%.

I also pay my taxes at the end of the year on every single item that I sell. It's all part of running any legit business.
I know sellers who do business on eBay that never record their online earnings. I believe that will catch up with them one day.

Buyers need to understand that it's not the Seller's or eBay's fault for collecting any tax. Eventually, it will be mandatory for all online sales. It's just a matter of time, when the online AH's start collecting too.
Like death, you can't avoid it.

Buythatcard

http://stores.ebay.com/Buythatcard
Old 10-09-2019, 04:57 PM
Br1@n L1ndh0lm3

Default 1776

Complaining about paying taxes is 243 years too late.
But complaints about how the tax payments are used is timeless.

Brian L
Familytoad
Ridgefield, WA

Hall of Fame collector.
Prewar Set collector.
Topps Era collector.
1971 Topps Football collector.
Old 10-09-2019, 05:13 PM

Default BST Question

Ebay sent out the sales tax email in conjunction with Paypal in regards to the new states taxable as of Oct. 1. In the email it said that ebay and paypal would handle the tax and the seller would have to do nothing.

My question is this...... If you are paying for an item on the BST or anywhere else(not ebay) and using regular paypal (not-F/F), is that transanction now going to be taxed by paypal as a business transaction, tax collected and forwarded to the applicable state.

I believe the answer is yes, but have had no dealing either as a buyer or seller this month to test the theory. I have a feeling paypal is going to track the 30 odd states that enacted the law and tax those transactions automatically as well(some vendors had added tax prior).

Further to add, perhaps only the buyer will see it and the seller won't be able to as they don't pay it, ebay/paypal does.

??

Last edited by sb1; 10-09-2019 at 05:15 PM.
Old 10-09-2019, 05:28 PM
T@yl0r $ch0ck

Also....

Isn't ebay over collecting the taxes? If I sell to someone in South Dakota, ebay will collect the sales tax. But if I don't make 200 sales or sell over $100K to South Dakota, does ebay reimburse that/those buyers? I highly doubt it. Or is ebay considered the 'vendor' in this case? Inquiring minds want to know.
Old 10-09-2019, 05:29 PM
Andrew Hunt00n

How could Paypal know if the seller already charged sales tax on their own and the buyer is already paying it? That would be double taxation right?

The Great T206 Back Stamp Project: Click Here
My Online Trading Site: Click Here
Member of OBC (Old Baseball Cards), the longest running on-line collecting club www.oldbaseball.com
My Humble Blog: Click Here
Old 10-09-2019, 05:35 PM
T@yl0r $ch0ck

Quote:
Originally Posted by CobbSpikedMe View Post
How could Paypal know if the seller already charged sales tax on their own and the buyer is already paying it? That would be double taxation right?
My 'guess' would be that ebay means they will request the total amount (including sales tax) to paypal and paypal will ensure the total (including sales tax) is deducted from the buyer's account. Paypal only 'knows' since that is the total requested by ebay. Otherwise, it's BAU from the paypal viewpoint.
Old 10-09-2019, 07:08 PM
Andrew Hunt00n

Quote:
Originally Posted by tschock View Post
My 'guess' would be that ebay means they will request the total amount (including sales tax) to paypal and paypal will ensure the total (including sales tax) is deducted from the buyer's account. Paypal only 'knows' since that is the total requested by ebay. Otherwise, it's BAU from the paypal viewpoint.
Hi Taylor,

I meant when someone sells something off eBay (like on the BST) and the buyer uses PayPal to pay. If the seller charged sales tax then PayPal would have no idea it was included in the amount the buyer transfers.

Member of OBC (Old Baseball Cards), the longest running on-line collecting club www.oldbaseball.com
Old 10-10-2019, 07:37 AM
T@yl0r $ch0ck

Quote:
Originally Posted by CobbSpikedMe View Post
Hi Taylor,

I meant when someone sells something off eBay (like on the BST) and the buyer uses PayPal to pay. If the seller charged sales tax then PayPal would have no idea it was included in the amount the buyer transfers.
Andy,

I think ebay's statement with reference to paypal is only in regards to their interaction with paypal and not a comment on paypal's policy in general. I doubt paypal itself will be in the 'tax assessing' game since they are only processing money transfer requests, but I could be wrong.
Old 10-10-2019, 04:39 PM
Andrew Hunt00n

Quote:
Originally Posted by sb1 View Post
Ebay sent out the sales tax email in conjunction with Paypal in regards to the new states taxable as of Oct. 1. In the email it said that ebay and paypal would handle the tax and the seller would have to do nothing.

My question is this...... If you are paying for an item on the BST or anywhere else(not ebay) and using regular paypal (not-F/F), is that transanction now going to be taxed by paypal as a business transaction, tax collected and forwarded to the applicable state.

I believe the answer is yes, but have had no dealing either as a buyer or seller this month to test the theory. I have a feeling paypal is going to track the 30 odd states that enacted the law and tax those transactions automatically as well(some vendors had added tax prior).

Further to add, perhaps only the buyer will see it and the seller won't be able to as they don't pay it, ebay/paypal does.

??
Taylor,

I was referencing Scott's post above regarding PayPal collecting tax on transactions that aren't PPFF like from the BST. That's where I think it could be a problem if they collected sales tax on all transactions.

Old 10-10-2019, 04:55 PM

I can see how paypal could view every non-FF transaction as a taxable sale and apply the states sales tax to the $ amount. It is called goods and services...
Old 10-10-2019, 05:41 PM
T@yl0r $ch0ck

Quote:
Originally Posted by sb1 View Post
I can see how paypal could view every non-FF transaction as a taxable sale and apply the states sales tax to the $ amount. It is called goods and services...
A ) The assumption would have to be that any request coming directly from the owner of the paypal account that is not a PPFF request would not have already had tax applied to it.
B ) For example, if a small business that doesn't directly link their request to paypal, but accepts paypal funds and has already applied the tax to the invoice sent to me, then if paypal adheres to A above, they are doubly taxing the invoice.

We are all speculating here though on what paypal may or may not do.

I still have the question/concern though of ebay over collecting taxes if I truly am the vendor and haven't met that state's specific threshold of sales.