NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 01-07-2005, 02:26 AM
Administrator

Default Matty McIntyre Photo--Need ID help

Posted By: Adam J. Baxter

Hi all,
I won a few photos off Ebay from the Matty McIntyre estate album. On the back of one was a photo of three gents in street clothes. I'm almost 100% certain the the guy in the middle is McIntyre based on comparisons with some cards of his, but I haven't been able to ID the other two. Any help would be appreciated. I've included a couple of scans below

Thanks,
Adam

Old 01-07-2005, 02:45 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Rhys

To his left, your right, is Germany Schaefer. Almost every picture I won had photos of Schaefer in them as he and McIntyre were good friends. I cont think of the other guy right now.

Old 01-07-2005, 05:38 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Scott

Old 01-07-2005, 07:44 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dan B

You just helped me identify the last of my unidentified Matty pics. That picture leaves no doubt that my photo is of Ed Killian.

Old 01-07-2005, 11:00 PM
Administrator

That McIntyre Estate photo album was incredible - I would have loved to have seen it before John "the butcher from Arkansas" Rogers got hold of it. John doesn't even wield his scissors well.

Old 01-16-2005, 09:07 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Adam J. Baxter

Rhys, Scott, thanks for the ID help. The Schaefer looks spot on and the guy to McIntyre'
s right does look an awful lot like Killian. So I'll go with Killian, McIntyre, and Schaefer . The album in it's entirety must have been an awesome sight and now it's separated forever. Also, many of the photos were trimmed out of the album very haphazardly as well, with some photos on the reverse of others being trimmed in half...or worse. Kind of a shame, and in hindsight I almost feel a little guilty for participating in the auction. At the very least, I can do my part and take care of the ones I have.

Old 01-16-2005, 10:24 AM
Administrator

The seller, John Rogers, is infamous for this tactic - he makes his money buying items that he can chop into pieces. The Chadwick scorebooks are another example of a Rogers chop-job. I didn't participate in the Chadwick "individual page" auctions for the reason you cite - perhaps I should have avoided the album page auction as well. Thoughts?

Old 01-16-2005, 12:01 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dan Bretta

I just wish I had seen the album on Leland's before I saw the pictures on ebay. The entire album sold for less than $4,000. I think he made over $25,000 by chopping it up. He made his money back with the 1905 team photo. IMO it sucks that he did that with the album, but he's a dealer and not a collector so he's not really going to respect the history of an item if he can make money on it by disassembling it. I don't feel guilty about buying some of the photo's though, because it was already broken up anyway. I figured here was my chance to obtain some one of a kind 100 year old photos of Major league players taken by a major leaguer. I may be the only person to own a photo of Jimmy Archer in a Tiger's uniform (aside from the 1907 team photo).

Dan

Old 01-16-2005, 12:22 PM
Administrator

If I had seen it on Lelands's I would have definitely bid...provided the description was indicative of the content - sometimes you just get lucky with Leland's.