NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 06-29-2018, 08:28 AM

Default Help needed with identifying T210 player by his full name

I'm looking to identify the player listed as MacConachie (Series 2) Norfolk by his full name.

Guessing he made the card photo shoot, but failed to make the official team roster.

Thanks,

Patrick
Old 06-29-2018, 10:59 AM
S Gross

Patrick,

I'm sure you checked Baseball Resource, as I just did.

No MacConachie at all.

But, I dropped the "a" as a possible misspelling and came up with this fellow:

https://www.baseball-reference.com/r...d=mccona001---

As you stated probably didn't make roster, but played for lower Class D Carolina Assoc.

No first name, but if you go 7 for 62, you probably won't be remembered

Last edited by mybuddyinc; 06-29-2018 at 10:59 AM.
Old 06-30-2018, 05:23 AM
Jason Wells

Nice work finding the Baseball Reference page by dropping a letter off the name. Thats a common T210 mistake and makes it quite hard to find certain players. I seem to recall a first name of Bill aka William. I will try to research where that memory comes from.
Old 07-02-2018, 08:50 PM

The T210 catcher shown with Norfolk is Gerald Oscar MacConachie, who went by his initials "G.O." The 1911 baseball guides listed the player as "McConachie", which is where Baseball-Reference got that name. His name in the Winston-Salem newspaper boxscores was MacConachie, however.

Gerald Oscar MacConachie, thought he was born on April 15, 1888 in Detroit, MI, but Michigan birth records show he came a month earlier, on March 15.

He was a catcher on the Detroit Athletic Club team in 1909, with teammates Fred Blanding, Chick Lathers, Bert Lerchen, and Nemo Leibold, who all went on to play in the Major Leagues. In 1910 he signed with the Norfolk club in the Virginia League, then played with Winston-Salem and Greensboro in the Carolina Association, but the heat persuaded him to return to Michigan.

He took a job as an assistant in the Detroit Free Press’ sports department, where he worked under sports editor E.A. Batchelor. As well as writing, he also spent much of his time as a cartoonist for the paper. In 1912, he signed to play with the Detroit franchise in the newly formed Columbian Baseball League, which evidently never got off the ground. In 1917, he was named as one of the officials for the annual Decoration Day auto race at the Michigan State Fair.

G.O left Detroit and moved to Wilmington, DE, where he became editor of the Harlan News, a weekly newspaper for employees of the Harlan shipyard. He also got married during his three years in Wilmington. In 1922, MacConachie was appointed a member of the United States Shipping Board, under the Federal Personnel Board, appointed by President Warren G. Harding. From there, he moved to Buffalo, then Philadelphia, and then to New York City to take jobs in the advertising business.

In 1931, G.O. was the US business manager for Sir Malcolm Campbell, champion British race car driver, when Campbell set several land speed records at the Daytona Beach Race Course. His last known job, during World War II, was with the U.S. Navy Bureau of Ships, but in 1946 he and Len D. Hollister obtained a copyright for “Secret Witness, a modern melodrama in three acts.”

G.O. died in Queens, NY in January 1957.
Old 07-02-2018, 09:51 PM

Default Many Thanks!

Many Thanks Tom!

Patrick
Old 07-02-2018, 09:52 PM
Kevin

^^^ Excellent research ... well done. Very interesting.

Wanted:
updated March 3, 2024
Detroit Tigers American Caramel & National Caramel

For sale or trade
updated October 24, 2018
Old 07-02-2018, 11:08 PM
Scott Ti3k

Threads like this are what keep me coming back to net54 even when I am not doing much collecting myself.

Great research and great knowledge. I love it!
Old 07-03-2018, 03:49 PM
Jason Wells

Nice my records have been edited