NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 10-28-2016, 02:29 PM
George E.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcmtiger View Post
I attended all the games at Tiger Stadium in 1984. In those days you sent in payment to a PO Box and they sent you the tickets. I sent money from my home address, My PO Box, My Mothers address, My sisters address, my wife's 2 addresses from her work office. I received tickets for each location I mailed the ticket requests. I had tickets for all of the Home games. The Ticket prices were $ 25.00. This enabled me to take my son's, My Daughter and her husband, my Dad to different games. My youngest son and I attended the clinching game in Detroit. We were on the field after the Tigers clinched. I even had one pair of tickets I sold to a co-worker.

Those were the days. Never happen again. See those prices for the game today.
The first game I ever attended was Game 3 of the '84 Series. I was 6.
Old 10-28-2016, 02:37 PM
₳₦ĐɎ ₦ɆɄ฿ɆⱤ₮

Default 2006 game 4 / 2011 game 7

In 2006 I bought a pair of tickets to several NLDS and NLCS games. One of the games I didn't have someone to go with so I posted on Myspace (pre facebook days) that I had a spare ticket to the NLCS game. A female from my Church jumped at the opportunity even though we didn't really know each other. After that game we clicked and spent the rest of the games watching on TV together. I then asked if she would be willing to go to Game 4 of the World Series with me, but because I wasn't rich she would have to pay for her ticket. She said yes.
Fast forward a year later we got engaged and now we have celebrated our 8 year wedding anniversary this year.

When the Cardinals got to the 2011 WS I bought tickets to a few games, but didn't feel like I could afford to keep them all so I resold my other tickets predicting there would be a game 7 and I wanted to be there for that one. That was a great experience for my wife and I to enjoy together since our first time getting to know each other was 5 years prior at the Cardinals playoff games.

So the Cardinals playoffs are very dear to our memories in our marriage.
Old 10-28-2016, 03:16 PM
Al Richter

Default 2006

That is a great story Andy. I had tickets to the original game 4, which was rained out. So people with game 5 tickets went to what became game 4 and game 4 ticket holders ended up at game 5, which was the clincher. As miserable and disappointing it was waiting for them to call game 4 , it worked out great for me in the end

Been fortunate to attend at least one game in each Series the Cardinals have been in since 1964 with the exception of 2013, but my biggest thrill was being at game six in 2011 with one of my sons. My view is it was one of the top 5 world series games of all time

Last edited by ALR-bishop; 10-28-2016 at 03:46 PM.
Old 10-28-2016, 03:42 PM
Charles
Cha.rles

Quote:
Originally Posted by rats60 View Post
I don't get people like you who feel that they are entitled to something they are not. How about we are baseball fans and what baseball fan wouldn't want to go to a World Series game given the opportunity? I have been to 2 World Series games and I only wish that my team would make a World Series so I could watch them play in it.

Chris,

Thanks for your response. I think that it was noble of you to accompany your friend who had no one else to go with.

And as for you Rat,

I don't think that I'm "entitled" to anything, except my paycheck (which I work very hard for).

I too am a fan of the game and when I travel on business I try to attend a game at the city that I'm in. I do this primarilly to experience the ball park, and unless one of the teams playing is in the NL East, I have no real rooting interest. (I would root against any NL East team - unless it was the Mets.)
I know in my heart that as a fan of the game I would be happy to attend ANY World series game, but that being said; I also know that a real fan of the team playing would be ESTATIC to attend that same game.

In 1996 a good friend of mine was working in upper-management for Circuit City Stores. He got a free pair of seats for one of the games at Yankee Stadium from his employer. Since my friend is also a Mets fan (and hates the Yankees almost as much as I do), he did the right thing and gave both tickets to his neighbor who was a die-hard Yankees fan.

This is just my opinion / point-of-view. And everyone knows that opinions are like you-know-whats!

- Charles

Check out my collection..........
http://ImageEvent.com/The_Cardfather

Check out my stuff for sale.........
(Message me for Net54 members direct sale discount.)
https://www.ebay.com/str/thecardfathersstore

Last edited by The-Cardfather; 10-28-2016 at 03:43 PM.
Old 10-28-2016, 07:31 PM
Mike E

1984. Padres vs. Tigers. Saw my friend and semi-pro teammate Doug Bair pitch in relief for Detroit.
Old 10-28-2016, 07:33 PM
Brandon Bailey

2008 game 4. Lots of homers including joe Blanton. Great experience , I took my Dad who has always hated baseball and still does, but took me to enough games and baseball card shows that I felt he should enjoy it,he loved the experience and still says it was by far the best sporting event he has ever been too. If my Orioles ever make it plan to go to more and take my sons this time around. Regardless of if it is your team or not if you can make a World Series it is unlike any other baseball experience.
Old 10-28-2016, 08:09 PM
I@n Cl@rke

Quote:
Originally Posted by clydepepper View Post

...as the first MLB game I ever 'saw' was Game 1 of the 1963 Series in Black & White.

While I was already hooked on the Game, THAT Game cemented my connection, my obsession and my addiction.
Bummer about your bosses in Atl, but you were far luckier than all the guys at the institution in One Flew Over the Cuckoo's nest. That's the specific game McMurphy tries to get voted onto TV, but gets screwed by the rules. Oh that Nurse Ratched's evil knows no bounds.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1964 Topps Koufax WS $180 signed.jpg (79.5 KB, 229 views)
Old 10-28-2016, 09:05 PM
Richard L.

Game 4 of the '86 series at Fenway. Gary Carter hit 2 dingers in a winning effort. Being a Sox fan, that series was a tough pill to swallow.
Old 10-28-2016, 09:12 PM
Josh Margolin

Games 3 and 4 of the series last year. Someone offered me a ticket to game 5, but I decided I needed to watch in the privacy of my own home. I was right.

Want List: T227 Baker Amen!
Old 10-28-2016, 09:49 PM
₳₦ĐɎ ₦ɆɄ฿ɆⱤ₮

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALR-bishop View Post
That is a great story Andy. I had tickets to the original game 4, which was rained out. So people with game 5 tickets went to what became game 4 and game 4 ticket holders ended up at game 5, which was the clincher. As miserable and disappointing it was waiting for them to call game 4 , it worked out great for me in the end

Been fortunate to attend at least one game in each Series the Cardinals have been in since 1964 with the exception of 2013, but my biggest thrill was being at game six in 2011 with one of my sons. My view is it was one of the top 5 world series games of all time
Yeah I bought the tickets the day of the game at face value because the rain out made game 5 a non clincher so the seller didn't care about going. Yet it is a nice conversation piece because I have game 5 tickets, but went to game 4. Then in 2011 the game 6 was rained out, but they had learned from their mistake in 2006 and moved both games instead of doing the switch-a-roo they had done in 2006. That game 6 was stressful, since I had sold my guaranteed game 1 tickets to chance a game 7. My wife still teases me about pacing the house watching it on TV.

Last edited by bn2cardz; 10-28-2016 at 09:51 PM.
Old 10-28-2016, 10:08 PM
J Stone

I went to every A's home WS game 1972-1974. Being a kid at the time I had no idea how fortunate I was at the time.
Old 10-28-2016, 10:10 PM
Brent Niederman
Bre.nt Nieder.m@n

It's official for me now!!!
Old 10-28-2016, 10:59 PM
Mark Arentsen

Default 2005 World Series Game #1 at Comiskey Park-Chicago

My brother and I went to the game, but we didn't sit together. I bought my nosebleed ticket the day after the White Sox won the A.L. pennant from a broker, but my brother balked at such a high cost, so he passed. FIVE HOURS before I was to leave for the game, he sheepishly calls to say he bought a ticket and would it be OK if he went with me. Of course, but I also had to drive him into downtown Chicago to get the ticket, which wasn't such a big deal. The White Sox won, my favorite player-Joe Crede-hit a home run and Bobby Jenks was electic on the mound. There's no telling when the White Sox will get back to the World Series. I'll forever cherish going and I know my brother is glad he went too.
Old 10-29-2016, 07:10 AM
C@rl P@rk

Game 2 of the 2009 World Series. Decked out in Phillies gear, we ventured to a nearby Burger King before the game. A few tense moments as a local Bronx denizen wouldn't leave me alone, heckled me past the point of good naturedness and actually said ominously "you're a long way from Philly, boy."

The fact that the Phillies lost a close one 3-1 behind a solid start from Pedro Martinez didn't bother me so much having escaped Burger King with my life. . AJ Burnett was unhittable that night...he put on a clinic.

Last edited by KingFisk; 10-29-2016 at 07:12 AM. Reason: Updated to add Burnett was lights out!
Old 10-29-2016, 07:21 AM
Richard Simon

1973 Game 3.
2000 Game 5, with the awful memory of seeing the Yankees rush onto the field at Shea Stadium after the last out.
www.bonanza.com/booths/richsports
--
"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure."- Clarence Darrow
Old 10-29-2016, 10:15 PM
"Thumbs Down Guy"

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingFisk View Post
Game 2 of the 2009 World Series. Decked out in Phillies gear, we ventured to a nearby Burger King before the game. A few tense moments as a local Bronx denizen wouldn't leave me alone, heckled me past the point of good naturedness and actually said ominously "you're a long way from Philly, boy."

The fact that the Phillies lost a close one 3-1 behind a solid start from Pedro Martinez didn't bother me so much having escaped Burger King with my life. . AJ Burnett was unhittable that night...he put on a clinic.
I didn't have tickets but I walked around the area during the game and took pictures. Here are a couple of favorites...

As the first pitch of Game 2 is thrown (see the flat-screen TV), fans wait outside the ticket sales window hoping the Yankees will make more tickets available.

(Photo taken October 29, 2009. © Gary Dunaier. Link to upload on Flickr.com: here.)

Meanwhile, in a laundromat a couple of blocks away from the stadium (Super Laundry Of Ogden, 96 W. 162nd Street, near Ogden Avenue), a man watches the game on TV.

(Photo taken October 29, 2009. © Gary Dunaier. Link to upload on Flickr.com: here.)

If you like those, you'll like the 78 photos I took around the stadium and its neighborhood during the game. They can be found on Flickr (link).
Old 10-29-2016, 10:26 PM
"Thumbs Down Guy"

Went to all three games of the 2015 World Series at Citi Field. I took plenty of photos walking around the ballpark, 'cause that's what I do at games. Here are links to my Flickr photosets:

Game 3
Game 4
Game 5
Old 10-29-2016, 11:51 PM
Kev1n @1les

Default 1990 Reds vs A's game 2

I was a big Reds fan growing up. During the 1990 season, I either watched, listened to, or attended every game that year. The Reds started out hot and then hung on for dear life - finishing 90-72. I thought that they would lose to the Pirates in the LCS, but they pulled it out.

In game 1 of the WS, Jose Rijo led the Reds to victory - I think that it was 10 or 11 - 0.

I had just started my freshman year in college. A guy on my floor named Mike Amrein came down to my room and said that he spoke to his uncle and tickets were going for $50 - would i want to go with him? I said sure.

We go to the stadium and soon realized that tickets were 200-250 apiece - quite a sum for college students. The $50 that was quoted was the face value. After about an hour, we realized that tickets were much more expensive than we had planned and we would probably have to go across the river and watch the game on TV. About that time, an older gentleman walked up to me and said - "I have a blue seat". I said, "How Much?" he said, "What it says here" - which was $50. Now, Mike was a new friend, but a friend - and he drove - so I couldn't just buy the ticket and say - see you in three hours! I bought the ticket and then sold it for $200. We then split the profit and bought 2 tickets for $400. - A net of $250 total. These tickets were underneath the scoreboard. We had to actually angle our heads during the entire game to see it.

However, it was awesome. if I recall correctly, Eck came on to pitch the 9th. A little known player named Billy Bates beat out an infield single. Joe Oliver eventually hit a double down the line and the Reds won game two. I still have the stub and the program.

After the game, people were going crazy. They were driving through town waving brooms. people were celebrating in the fountain of downtown Cincinnati. I think it was after 3am that we arrived back home - but we had attended the game.

Beyond all belief, the Reds went on to sweep that series. I look at that lineup in retrospect and am amazed that the sweep didn't go the other way.

As an aside, I was the sports director of my college radio station. The next year, I applied for and received, opening day passes to the Reds game. It was also the ring ceremony.

I was 19, so please have some grace - but

I remember that I was on the field and they were celebrating the championship. Marge Schott gave Schotzie a replica collar of the world series ring. it was probably 100-200k as it was full of diamonds. If you remember from the World Series, Eric Davis made a sliding play in game 4 and lascerated his kidney. Marge would not pay to send him home, so he had to spend 10k of his own money to get home on a medical plane.

When the rain came, they moved us underneath the stadium. I looked to my left and lo and behold, there was Schotzie, the St. Bernard.

For a brief moment, I thought to myself "I bet the team would consider me a hero if I turned around and drop kicked the dog' I would probably be banned from the stadium and would probably go to jail, but the fact that she spent all of that money on a ring/collar for the dog but wouldn't pay to send Eric Davis home would make me a popular guy in the clubhouse.

Alas, I resisted temptation and did not do anything. I love animals and could not bring myself to lash out against an innocent dog - but I was so mad at Marge for what she did.

The funniest part of that day was that they had me in the press room. I was 19 - well below drinking age - yet I was drinking beer off of the tap all day and enjoying opening day and the championship celebration.

Over the years, I moved to Pittsburgh. My love for the Reds waned and the Pirates became the families' team of choice. Yet, everytime they play the Reds I find myself a bit conflicted and never get a lot of joy in a Pirates win.

53-55 Red Mans Complete Set
Old 10-30-2016, 04:34 AM
Jim Boushley
Jim Bou.shley

Got back Friday from Game 2 of this years Series in Cleveland. Guess I will have been able to see the only game the Cubs are going to win in this years Series.
Old 10-30-2016, 06:14 AM
C@rl P@rk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Dunaier View Post
I didn't have tickets but I walked around the area during the game and took pictures. Here are a couple of favorites...

As the first pitch of Game 2 is thrown (see the flat-screen TV), fans wait outside the ticket sales window hoping the Yankees will make more tickets available.

Meanwhile, in a laundromat a couple of blocks away from the stadium (Super Laundry Of Ogden, 96 W. 162nd Street, near Ogden Avenue), a man watches the game on TV.

If you like those, you'll like the 78 photos I took around the stadium and its neighborhood during the game. They can be found on Flickr (link).
Cool! Wonder if you got a shot of my BK antagonist! Thanks for sharing. I was lucky enough to have a co-worker with season tickets that sold me his ticket for that game at face value. Good memories.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
Old 10-30-2016, 06:17 AM
Mike

I was at the 1986 Mets game 6 world series at 17 years old. Truly amazing experience with 2 other friends. Seats were field level near the left field foul pole. My friends father had box seats season tickets. Purchased the World Series program, over the past mant years I have 20 autographps from players on the cover of the program. Great life experience
Old 10-30-2016, 07:56 AM
Charlie

Game 6 1996- was in next to last row in upper deck but who cared
Game 2 2000- was in the bleachers- Again who cared
Old 10-30-2016, 09:00 AM
James

1993 - Game 4 - 15-14 game, at that point I think broke the record for the most runs scored in a world series game. Game was crazy. I had won the right as a 13 year old kid to buy tickets at face value by entering a lottery, I had no money, fortunately, my Dad was able to buy them for me and him. Almost directly behind the left field foul pole at the Vet. Seats couldn't have been worse, the experience as a 13 year old kid couldn't have been better (well could have been better if Mitch Williams hadn't imploded) but even though the Phillies lost, being there to witness it with my Dad in person is still one of my favorite childhood memories.

2008 - Game 4 - No lottery this time, and I had to pay significantly above face value, but I had the opportunity to repay my Dad and take him this time. The Phillies took the lead from the start, and it was just one of those games where everyone in the stadium early on had a good feeling. So much energy, capped when the SP, Joe Blanton homered in the 5th. The place went nuts. A great experience to be there for a WS win.

2009 - Game 4 - Had a partial season plan with some friends, got the opportunity to purchase at face value. Completely different experience than when I went with my Dad, but still fun. Memories on this one are a little fuzzier as a good time was had "pre-gaming" but this one ended in another Phillies loss
Old 10-30-2016, 10:30 AM
Rich v@n He$$

Game 1 of Chicago - Houston (sat with the MLB VP in charge of liscensing)

Games 1 & 2 of Detroit - St Louis

Game 3 of Boston -Colorado
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PA210020.jpg (76.4 KB, 189 views)
Old 10-30-2016, 10:38 AM
Bill Zimpleman

First game of the 1960 world series.....pirates against thr yankees
Old 10-30-2016, 12:24 PM
Bob Donaldson

1975 Game 2
1986 Game 3
2004 Game 1,3
2007 Game 1,2
2013 Game 1,2,6 (WS victory)

All at Fenway. Had tickets for game 6 Yanks/Mets in 2000 but it never went that far :-(
Old 10-30-2016, 03:16 PM
M@rk Lu7z

Quote:
Originally Posted by zimp View Post
First game of the 1960 world series.....pirates against thr yankees
That must have been a memorable experience.
Old 10-30-2016, 07:05 PM
Bill T.

Games 1 and 2 of the 83 series in Baltimore. (Also games 1 and 2 of the ALCS.) Game 2 was the only game I've attended with my Mom. It turns out that she and Dad use to go to games at Griffith Stadium from time to time, but once we kids came along it would be just Dad and me.

Them was the days when actual fans could buy tickets--none of this season ticketholders-only jazz. I camped out in line the night before to buy tickets when they went on sale. Got 4 for each game, but then the Os won on the road so no game 6 or 7. I didn't have to camp out for the ALCS; game 2 wasn't sold out and I couldn't sell an extra ticket outside the stadium on game day for even face value.
Old 10-30-2016, 10:15 PM

I was an usher at Busch Stadium during the 1982 Series. Around the 7th inning of Game 7, I was told the team wanted a large security presence down by the field so no fans would run out there after the game (that didn't work out too well). My station was in the aisle in the first row behind the Cardinals dugout. So I had about the same view as the players when Bruce Sutter struck out Gorman Thomas to end the Series. And I got paid for it!

Fast forward 29 years and I was at Game 7 in 2011 with my son as the Cards took down the Rangers. An amazing memory and an even more cherished bonding moment.
Old 10-30-2016, 11:18 PM
Mike Navarro

I've been to a few, but this was my favorite. I was a flag unfurler. When it got to “Banner yet wave”, we had been instructed to make the flag wave. It was incredible, the crowd went nuts, and I’ve got to admit that a couple tears streamed down my face, it was surreal. My wife is the lady on the lower far right, and I’m the wide guy in the red shirt, black shorts beside her.

At the end of the Anthem, two helicopters flew over us. One had the Texas flag on the bottom, and the other had the American flag. My camera phone was able to capture it:

Here’s a better photo of the choppers:

Next up was the first pitch by two Texas favorites, Nolan Ryan and George W. Bush:

This was my view from the camera phone:

Here’s a shot from another angle that I’m going to have to get autographed eventually. You can see me taking a photo to Bush’s left, I’m the blurry wide guy in the red shirt, black shorts, holding the camera up:

And here’s another shot where you can see left to right, my backside, my wife’s backside, George W. and Nolan Ryan. This is another one I hope to get autographed:

After we got the flag put up (which took all of about 3 minutes, the Rangers hooked us up with a bag full of goodies, TShirts, hats, programs, etc. My wife and I then entered the Ballpark to go to the game and spied the ALCS trophies. Of course, I had to have a picture:
Very fun night and the Rangers won the game to boot behind an incredible Holla d pitching performance.
Old 10-31-2016, 06:23 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Now that is cool. Bet those are some lifetime memories.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenavarro View Post
I've been to a few, but this was my favorite. I was a flag unfurler. When it got to “Banner yet wave”, we had been instructed to make the flag wave. It was incredible, the crowd went nuts, and I’ve got to admit that a couple tears streamed down my face, it was surreal. My wife is the lady on the lower far right, and I’m the wide guy in the red shirt, black shorts beside her.

After we got the flag put up (which took all of about 3 minutes, the Rangers hooked us up with a bag full of goodies, TShirts, hats, programs, etc. My wife and I then entered the Ballpark to go to the game and spied the ALCS trophies. Of course, I had to have a picture:
Very fun night and the Rangers won the game to boot behind an incredible Holla d pitching performance.
Old 10-31-2016, 05:16 PM
Sean Costello

Quote:
Originally Posted by ullmandds View Post
1978 WS....game 4 at yankee stadium.

I was 9...I caught a foul ball off the bat of Reggie Smith. I was watching it on youtube last night and I think I found the pitch/foul I caught!!!
Pete, wasn't that the Reggie "hip and run" game?
Old 10-31-2016, 05:58 PM
Sean Costello

I went to games 3,4 and 5 in Oakland in 1974. I had just graduated high school, and with nothing better to do I took a Greyhound from Phoenix to Oakland.I had bought the tickets in advance, because in those days they didn't sell out. I was (and still am) a Cubs fan, but I wanted to see a World Series.

I had a ticket in the lower deck looking down the 1st base line. I had a perfect view when Bill Buckner singled to lead off the 8th. The ball got past Billy North in right-center. Buckner took second and tried for third, but Reggie and Dick Green threw him out.I can still remember Green taking that relay while I thought "no way can they get him." But he made a perfect throw, and saved the game.
Old 10-31-2016, 06:01 PM

Default I have attended ---

Lifetime Detroit fan but have had the opportunity to attend World Series games with my sons. I take no other real vacations.

1978 3, 4, 5
1998 1
1999 4
2000 1
2001 4, 5
2003. 1, 6
2004. 1
2006. 1
2007. 1
2008. 4
2009. 2
2010. 3
2012 3 4
2013 1, 3, 6
2014 4
2015 1

Keith H Thompson grand-nephew of Sam Thompson (Detroit 1885-1888, Philadelphia 1889-1898, Detroit 1906, HOF 1974)
Old 10-31-2016, 06:03 PM
Sean Costello

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cardfather View Post
Chris,

Please don't interpret this as a nasty or malicious response, but.......

I DON'T GET GUYS LIKE YOU!!!!
You went to game 5 of a World Series game, but you're not a fan of either team??????
I went to the '74 Series even though I wasn't a fan of the A's or Dodgers. I'm a baseball fan, and it was a great experience.

I also went to a concert by the Talking Heads and the B52s, and neither of them are my favorite band.
Old 10-31-2016, 06:05 PM
Sean Costello

Hey Keith, first post? Welcome to the board.
Old 10-31-2016, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean View Post
Hey Keith, first post? Welcome to the board.
Sean, My first post and probably last. I note the Woodland address. I'm a graduate of UCDavis (1952). A classmate of mine (Phyllis Burr) lived on a farm in Woodland. I was best man at her wedding. Keith
Old 10-31-2016, 08:21 PM
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith H. Thompson View Post
Sean, My first post and probably last. I note the Woodland address. I'm a graduate of UCDavis (1952). A classmate of mine (Phyllis Burr) lived on a farm in Woodland. I was best man at her wedding. Keith
Two posts every four years isn't bad . Do you have any of your relative's cards?
Old 10-31-2016, 08:59 PM
Al Richter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Collectorsince62 View Post
I was an usher at Busch Stadium during the 1982 Series. Around the 7th inning of Game 7, I was told the team wanted a large security presence down by the field so no fans would run out there after the game (that didn't work out too well). My station was in the aisle in the first row behind the Cardinals dugout. So I had about the same view as the players when Bruce Sutter struck out Gorman Thomas to end the Series. And I got paid for it!

Fast forward 29 years and I was at Game 7 in 2011 with my son as the Cards took down the Rangers. An amazing memory and an even more cherished bonding moment.
Great story. But still glad I was at game 6 in 2011. In 1982 we got our tickets from Pee Wee Reese who was the rep for H&B( Louisville Slugger). My wife was a shareholder
Old 11-06-2016, 08:39 AM
Arnie

Had season tickets to the first year of the Marlins. Gave them up after the first year, but then in 1997 a few days before the season I looked at the team and thought they had a great chance to go to the world series. Called up the ticket office, bought two 1/2-year season tickets that guaranteed me those seats for the post season.

Went to every post season game down here that year, and that means i was in the stadium when the world series went to extra innings and Renteria won it with a single up the middle to score Counsel. Went totally nuts!!! What an accomplishment for a team that had been around such a short time!!!

Then in 2003 the Marlins played my true love, the Yankees. Tickets sold out fast here, and had to pay scalper prices to go to one game. Marlins broke my heart by beating the Yankees in the series, but at least the game i went to was a Yankee win!!!!!
Old 11-06-2016, 09:08 AM
P. Sp.ec.tor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean View Post
I went to games 3,4 and 5 in Oakland in 1974. I had just graduated high school, and with nothing better to do I took a Greyhound from Phoenix to Oakland.I had bought the tickets in advance, because in those days they didn't sell out. I was (and still am) a Cubs fan, but I wanted to see a World Series.

I had a ticket in the lower deck looking down the 1st base line. I had a perfect view when Bill Buckner singled to lead off the 8th. The ball got past Billy North in right-center. Buckner took second and tried for third, but Reggie and Dick Green threw him out.I can still remember Green taking that relay while I thought "no way can they get him." But he made a perfect throw, and saved the game.
Having grown up on NY and subsequently LA, there was never a chance I could have attended a WS game (I was young and my Dad wasn't really a baseball fan). Later, I moved myself to the Bay Area. When the A's made it to the Series I still had that mentality. I kicked myself in the tush when I later found out I could have walked up to the gate on the day of a game and gotten a ticket. Still haven't been to a WS game, although several playoff games.
Old 11-06-2016, 11:34 AM

Default Life as I know it

Great stories everyone. I can claim to have attended a World Series ticket line, and having used my credit card to purchase tickets.

In 1998 when the Padres made the World Series I took off work to stand in line at Jack Murphy Stadium to buy tickets for a group of friends. By the time I got to the window they only had multiple seats together for game 5. They did have individual tickets for game 3. I decided against buying the game 3 ticket for myself, and purchased the group of game 5 tickets.

I am proud to say I received a full refund. However, that might have been my only shot at attending a World Series. I will probably have to settle for the glorious distinction of having purchased World Series tickets.

Brian
Old 11-06-2016, 01:22 PM
Jonathan Sterling

2001 Game 4 with My Son, Jeter Mr. November
2003 Game 1 again with My Son
2009 Game 2 with My Wife.

All Great memories
First Yankees Post season was a 98 ALDS game vs Rangers with the whole Family..
Old 11-06-2016, 04:09 PM

Default World Series Games Attended

1988 - LA Dodgers/A's - Kirk Gibson HR
1989 - SF Giants/A's - Earthquake Game
1998 - SD Padres/NY Yankees - Game 1
2000 - NY Mets/NY Yankees - Games 1-2-5
2001 - Diamondbacks/NY Yankees - Games 1-2
2002 - SF Giants/Anaheim Angels - Games 1-2 - 7
Jerry Sage
Old 12-29-2016, 04:21 PM

1980 game 6
1986 game 1
1993 game 5
Old 12-29-2016, 05:26 PM
David Kathman

I've never been to a game myself, but my dad went to game 7 in 1960 and saw Maz hit the homer, along with all the other craziness in that game. He was a student at Carnegie Tech (now Carnegie Mellon University) at the time.
Old 12-29-2016, 06:31 PM
And.rew Fin.kel.man

2004 game 2
2007 game 1
Old 12-29-2016, 08:23 PM
Seth

Saw 2008 Game 5, or at least the first 5 1/2 innings: I was living abroad but came to Philly for two days for a meeting, coincidentally during the WS. My dad surprised me with one ticket (he said, at that price, one was all I'd get!) for my birthday (also coincidentally around that time). When the game was suspended in the sixth, I had to face the painful fact I had to fly out the next day and couldn't see what wound up being the clinching end to Game 5. I had to give my stub to a friend who caught the last bit of the game two nights later. But at least I saw part of a WS game!
Old 12-30-2016, 03:54 PM
Chris

My son took me to game 2 this year. Sadly the Tribe lost and the game never was even close. But the experience was once-in-a-lifetime. the lousy weather really dampened the whole experience and ambiance. I can only imagine how much fun it is to go to a tight ballgame, in decent weather, with a really pumped-up crowd.
Old 01-02-2017, 06:52 PM
"Thumbs Down Guy"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Dunaier View Post
Went to all three games of the 2015 World Series at Citi Field. I took plenty of photos walking around the ballpark, 'cause that's what I do at games.
And before that, what I'd do when the Yankees were in all those post-season games, I'd walk around the ballpark without tickets - not to try and buy one, but just to soak up the post-season vibe. I didn't do this every game, just once during each series, usually the first home game.

Once I even found a counterfeit ticket lying on the ground!

A few times I'd walk around holding up a sign saying "I NEED O TICKETS" or "I DON'T NEED NO TICKETS." Some people thought that was a subtle way of saying that I actually was looking for tickets, so they'd come up to me and ask if I needed tickets. I quickly pulled out another sign: "ONLY IF THEY'RE FREE."

Good times.