NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 03-29-2017, 07:15 AM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Default How to run a good card shop

Good article by Rich Mueller.

I have a nice shop not far from me in NJ where the guy does all of this.

I particularly like the point about not complaining to every customer about how crappy things are. No one wants to feel like they are the last person left collecting cards.

http://www.sportscollectorsdaily.com...rts-card-shop/
Old 03-29-2017, 07:19 AM
Joe

Where is the NJ Shop?
Old 03-29-2017, 08:41 AM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Fair lawn, NJ. Only been there a couple of times but a cool place. America's Pastime.
Old 03-29-2017, 09:12 AM
M1ke Ant1$ta

I do wish there was a shop around me. I am getting sick of eBay! Anyone know of one near Fairfield, CT that sells more than just the shiny stuff?

Thanks
Mike

Do yourself a favor and sign up for Ebates - save $$$
on online purchases including cards on ebay. I have saved over $700 so far which = free cards!

www.ebates.com
Old 03-29-2017, 12:47 PM
Kevin

Quote:
Originally Posted by TistaT202 View Post
I do wish there was a shop around me. I am getting sick of eBay! Anyone know of one near Fairfield, CT that sells more than just the shiny stuff?

Thanks
Mike
I'm also in Fairfield, CT! I'm originally from Westchester NY which had a few but all are basically gone now. Not much in the way of card shops that I've seen in the area. Only one I've heard is good is JB Sports Cards in Orange, CT (15 mins from Fairfield). I usually try to just wait until the White Plains show comes up at the Westchester County center and go to that, always know there will be tons of dealers and can usually find what I want. Hope that helps
Old 03-29-2017, 12:53 PM
Scott

Berlin CT, Ken's Cards and Collectibles. Mill St.

Anyone ever in the area, check it out. GREAT clean store, w new, old, and e'thing in between and for Pro
Wrestling fans, a Great Wrestling room too.
Old 03-29-2017, 04:01 PM
Michael S.

American Legends on Central Avenue in Scarsdale, in Westchester County is great. Shiny Stuff, Vintage, and Pre-War coupled with cool people. If you ever go to the shows at County Center in White Plains; it's a 10 minute ride down the block.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TistaT202 View Post

Thanks
Mike
Old 03-29-2017, 06:06 PM
Kevin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmount76 View Post
American Legends on Central Avenue in Scarsdale, in Westchester County is great. Shiny Stuff, Vintage, and Pre-War coupled with cool people. If you ever go to the shows at County Center in White Plains; it's a 10 minute ride down the block.
He is still open? Good to know
Old 03-31-2017, 10:42 AM
Rich Klein

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmount76 View Post
Mark, Donna and their staff are good people. I miss them
Old 03-29-2017, 09:22 AM
Alex

Does anyone have any suggestions in the DC/Northern Virginia area?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
SLers = 33/48
Horizontals = 6/6

ALWAYS looking for T206 with back damage.
Old 03-29-2017, 09:29 AM
M@rk Comer

Default Article

Good article. I'm sure there would be more shops around if they followed some of the quality business practices mentioned. We have a pretty good card shop in Jacksonville, FL. While I typically just go for supplies it's a pretty nice environment.
Old 03-29-2017, 10:08 AM
Steve Birmingham

That's all good advice for most any business.

The only one I don't totally agree with is number 3. A lot of the places I used to really like to go were way on the other end of things, not always clean, and pretty disorganized. Clean is better for cards and stuff, but a lot of the other stuff I collect can get a bit grubby.
It's more the hunt for something "interesting" for me. If a place is too well organized and for non-paper stuff, too clean I know there's no bargains hiding there.

Steve B
Old 03-29-2017, 11:43 AM
_G@ґy*€hℯη_

A while back, I chatted with a guy who owned a card shop in Florida, after I purchased some cards from him. Basically, he went to a local card shop when he was a kid, and always said to himself that someday, he was going to buy that place. After he grew up and worked for a while, he did buy that card shop, and he's really enjoyed owning it. What he tries to do is to try to make his card shop a place to hang out, and not just to purchase cards and memorabilia. For example, he will do events such as fantasy football drafts where people can just talk about sports, and not feel pressured to buy things because they are in this store. He also tries to price his stock very fairly, even under market, where if the buyer decides to resell, they can even make a small profit on his stuff. That is, he doesn't try to wring every last cent out of his sales, so that his customers will feel that they have been treated very fairly and enjoy the shopping experience with his store.
Old 03-29-2017, 02:11 PM
C@rl P@rk

There is one card store near me in NJ, which I think is still open. When I got back into the hobby a few years ago I was excited to find out there was an active card store. When I went there it was empty, save for the owner. He sat there the entire time I was in his shop, just staring out the window. I tried to talk cards and about the hobby with him a few times in the 15 min I was there, but he was pretty terse. It was a disappointing contrast to what I had been used to in card shops back in the day. Different time I guess, and to each their own, but I never went back to this guy's place, despite it only being 15 min from my house. Made me realize how much the camaraderie makes this hobby so enjoyable for me and it was not to be found at that shop.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Last edited by KingFisk; 03-29-2017 at 02:12 PM.