NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 07-28-2007, 09:45 PM
Administrator

Default Question to all the Canadians on this board....

Posted By: CN

Jon whenever I see an auction that the seller won't state a shipping price I either stay away or if it is an item I really want I contact him first. I agree with you that $12 seems excessive but I would not leave him a negative rating based on the fact that he wanted any bidders to contact him with the shipping price. CN

Old 07-28-2007, 09:46 PM
Administrator

Posted By: dennis

grossly excessive is very kind.

Old 07-28-2007, 09:51 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jon Canfield

CN,

I agree completely - I have to be honest though - I've been charged high prices before, but in the 1000+ transactions I've done, this is the first time I've ever questioned a seller on his shipping. I should have made my initial statement clearer, however. I won't leave negative feedback, mainly out of fear of my own feedback - but I just won't be leaving a positive. I also think eBay ahs a excessive shipping reporting section, too - although I've never looked for it before!

Old 07-28-2007, 09:59 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Elliot

No question the charge is excessive. Canada Post has all kinds of different rates, my guess is that the seller asked the post office for the two day guaranteed rate and they quoted him the $12 figure. I'd go back to the seller and ask him how much the shipping would be if he put the two cards in top loaders with some cardboard and then put into a regular envelope and then mailed regularly. For a regular letter to the U.S. (up to one ounce) the cost is 89 cents.
FWIW, US based sellers try to do the same thing to me all the time. Shipping to a US address is $2.00, but to Canada they want $10 or more...very upsetting.

BTW, it's Canadians not Canadiens....the Canadiens is the nickname of the Montreal NHL hockey team.

Old 07-28-2007, 10:01 PM
Administrator

Elliot - thanks for the correction. I spelled Canadians correctly, then edited it to an incorrect spelling... I'll fix it now as I don't want to offend any of my neighbors to the north.

Old 07-28-2007, 10:03 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Frank Wakefield

Jon...

I'm not in Canada, but I'm worried for you. He has a 13 feedback. Items sold include a motorcycle, a 1951 Studebaker... the 2 Coupon cards aren't photographed very well... good luck with this transaction.

What you might do is ask him to mail it to a Canadian board member, who can mail it to you for a reasonable amount. About 3 times over the years I've balked at crazy shipping fees. And it is my fault for not determining them first. Those 3 times I sent payment for the item and told them to keep the item, or give it to a kid at church. I'll pay for the item, but not for thievery shipping fees.

Old 07-28-2007, 10:05 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Brad

The Canadian guy (seller) is probably mailing the cards registered/express post ($12+ you get a tracking #)

If you're going to pay the $12 for shipping make it very clear (contact the seller) you would like the cards to be shipped in this manner.

Old 07-28-2007, 10:06 PM
Administrator

Frank - I thought is was the $40 risk... plus I noticed one of the underbidders is another collector although I can't remember his name. I did see the guy sold a collection of '52 Topps cards a while back. The cards looked ok to me, albeit blurry. Since I'm paying with Paypal, if worse comes to worse, I can always return them and deny payment on my credit card.

Old 07-28-2007, 10:18 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Elliot

Jon, just want you to know I was not offended, but thought you would like to know the correct spelling.
As per Frank's suggestion I would be happy to do it for you.
Perhaps, the seller is sending it registered so that he gets the tracking number for PayPal purposes.

Old 07-28-2007, 11:23 PM
Administrator

Posted By: eric p.

i just purchased 2 v122 cards 18 days ago on ebay from a seller from ontario, canada and it cost me a whole $3 for shipping, is your seller overnighting the cards?, i hope this helps, eric.

Old 07-28-2007, 11:42 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Brad

Eric,

If you paid $3 for shipping your taking a risk, No Insurance, plus there's no tracking #. 18 day ago you bought v122's off of eBay, have they arrived yet?

Registered/express post: takes 4 business day, Insurance up to $100+ w/ tracking #! I think it's worth the $12 bucks.

Old 07-29-2007, 12:01 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Jim F

$12 is the exact rate for Express delivery with tracking to the US. It is a 2-7 day service depending on the destination using a prepaid envelope. Wothout the prepaid envelope Express mail will cost the shipper $14-$20. Jim.

Old 07-29-2007, 06:44 AM
Administrator

Thanks for all the help - the selelr emailed me back and said he gave me an incorrect quote and shipping is $4.00. Glad I questioned it.

Old 07-29-2007, 10:25 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Dave Hornish

Those blurry 52's could be Canadian Topps issued cards. They only cover one series (#131-190) from that year and use different cardboard than regular Topps from 1952 (darker stock). They are relatively scarce compared to the US issue.

Old 07-29-2007, 02:46 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Brett

I live in Canada

Most of the cards I sell on this board are low grade and not worth alot, so the U.S buyers don't bother asking for insurance. All of my packages arrive safely to the US buyers so please don't be worried !! Uninsured ground mail to the U.S usually costs me $1.86 or $2 something. Last time I mailed out a package it cost me $5.14 ground mail. Maybe the women at the post office didn't know what she was doing or something i don't know. For insured shipping with a tracking number, the post office people usually say it will be $14 and whatever cents to mail it to the US. Airmail usually costs somewher between $6 - $8ish around here. I have never used UPS to mail out cards, so I don't what they charge. I baught a t206 card on ebay from someone in Montana and I was charged $19 insured shipping and border tax cost me over $20. I wasn't very happy...

Old 07-29-2007, 08:51 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Bobby

Shipping is one of the largest problems we face as buyers.

I know that when I purchase from the US, some people just figure is double when it is almost the same as it is shipping within the US.

However, due to the steady rate increases at Canada Post, shipping is no longer a bargin but for the cards you questioned, 2 bux would suffice.

Many post offices automatically charge for air mail without giving ground shipping as an option, so shipping is usually twice as much.

When I wrote my first book in 2003, it would cost $2.50 to ship to the US. Today the same book is over $5.00.

My new book is 2.5lbs, shipping from Toronto to Michigan (4 hours away) is $16.00. Canada Post rates are killing us and they have taken advantage of the large ebay transactions between country's.

The starting salary for a postman in Canada is just under $20.00 a hour...holy unskilled labor Batman.