NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 12-16-2006, 10:27 AM
Administrator

Default W/Strip card? fell from hole in my NY tenement ceiling yesterday

Posted By: Joseph Jesselli

Occasionally small pieces or paint or rock fall from a hole near a water pipe in the ceiling of my NYC bathroom. This fell yesterday. Obviously, the card has been discovered only because of a water problem, consequently the sad condition. The card has a blank back. Here we go:

I am a collector of early baseball memorabilia, but I'm not a big card guy. I've checked the most recent SCD Standard Guide I have (2002) and came up blank. This page from Old Cardboard's web site:

http://www.oldcardboard.com/w/red-bg-game-cards/red-bg-game-cards.asp?cardsetID=852

seems to be close. The card they've used as a sample (Hogan-Giants) belies their 1921? designation--that set probably dates from 1928-32 when Hogan played for the Giants. My guy (Jim Elliot) played for Brooklyn from 1925-30...so 1928-30 seems more like it. BUT...though the cards have a similar typeface and playing card motif, they are different in that my card seems to have no number and has the manufacturer's logo upper right, that company being the Universal Toy & Novelty Co., which, of course, has a baseball card history. My guess is that both cards are Universal Toy & Novelty product, but are different years. But I am a novice at this: can anyone ID my card for me?

And, yes, I'll be getting up on a ladder with a flashlight to further investigate that hole.

Old 12-16-2006, 10:51 AM
Administrator

Posted By: steve f

new Krause pp537;

1920's W-unc, nearmint-$150

it appears the number and suit symbol were burned off.

Keep tearing at the plaster.

Old 12-16-2006, 12:15 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Frank Wakefield

That Elliot card is not quite mint. But it does need a good soaking.

Old 12-16-2006, 12:30 PM
Administrator

Posted By: fkw

Very rare card! Now I know how Lipset knew the name of the maker of this set. The first time I heard Universal Toy and Novelty Co. as the makers of these cards was in an Old Judge Newsletter around 1990. I had a Hogan back then and always remembered the connection, but had never seen the proof until now. Great find, now the SCD can update their info and actually include the known cards.

Jim Elliot (? of Spades w/logo)
Lou Gehrig (5 of Hearts)
Shanty Hogan (6 of Clubs)
Doug McWeeny (7 of Spades)
Babe Ruth (5 of Diamonds)

Old 12-16-2006, 12:49 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Peter Thomas

I think I have a few of these - need to dig them out

Old 12-16-2006, 12:58 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Tom Boblitt

I vote for some microtrimming.........

Old 12-16-2006, 12:58 PM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

Old 12-17-2006, 02:22 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Paul

When I get home, I'm knocking down some walls. My house was built in 2001, & there might be a Pujols rookie in there somewhere. All kidding aside, this post is funny/strange (except for the water problem). Card falling from the ceiling!!! What are the odds of that? Any other stories of amazing finds out there?

Old 12-17-2006, 03:09 AM
Administrator

Posted By: fkw

About 1/2 of the known 1910 E271 Darby Chocolate cards (22) were found in 1982 nailed to the wall of a fire damaged garage in North Carolina (many have been restored to fix the huge hole in the center).

Old 12-17-2006, 03:33 AM
Administrator

Posted By: John S

When I remodeled my bathroom I found an empty beer bottle crumpled ciagarette pack (my house was built in 1959 so no hope for the ciagarette pack). The empty beer bottle might explain the lack of square corners anywhere in my house.

Old 12-17-2006, 06:18 AM
Administrator

Posted By: James Feagin

While searching Craig's List for cards, I noticed a woman advertising "antique baseball cards". The woman had been renovating a 19th century home in an older part of DC, after punching a hole in the ceiling, 12 T206 cards and a non-sports strip card came tumbling out. There were all in poor condition with dirt and water damage. There was a Marquard, Gandil, Chance and the rest commons. It does happen.

James

Old 12-17-2006, 12:47 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dan Lundrigan

Looking at the bottom of the card you might want to put some D-Con in the hole before you stick your hand in there.I might have to start punching some holes in my walls to see what I find!