NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 01-03-2019, 12:24 PM
Damon Hudson

Default Ruth M101-5?

Just came through the shop recently on consignment. Long time collector recently passed away, his spouse consigned this...Should I attempt to slab it? I question it...advice welcome!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5960.jpg (72.7 KB, 505 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5961.jpg (67.9 KB, 507 views)
Old 01-03-2019, 12:27 PM
Todd Schultz

Not genuine. An artificially-aged reprint or fake.
If we are to have another contest in the near future of our national existence, I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's but between patriotism and intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition and ignorance on the other. - Ulysses S. Grant, military commander, 18th US President.
Old 01-03-2019, 12:33 PM
Damon Hudson

thx! Whats the giveaway? the background?
Old 01-03-2019, 12:40 PM
Ethan

No space in lower left side of black border. Not enough back foot showing.
Old 01-03-2019, 01:12 PM
Brian T.

Agreed that it is not authentic.
Old 01-03-2019, 02:03 PM
Damon Hudson

how much you offering? lol
Old 01-03-2019, 02:19 PM

Default Ruth Roomie

100% fake
Old 01-03-2019, 02:34 PM
Larry

Check the print dot pattern with a loupe--preferably a 16X one. It should be regular and linear if printed from the original plate, rather than random (counterfeits were made by taking a picture of a real card, then re-screening it--they will show a random dot pattern and lack of clarity compared to one printed from the original plate). Then have it forensically examined for dating of both the ink and the lighter weight than normal cardboard stock. There are prototypes known but not graded with exactly the characteristics shown on your card (inner border; less foot showing due to different photo-cropping) which were in existence and appeared (very, very rarely) at shows long, long before this card exploded in value (a statement which I know will be controversial among the mainstream, but nonetheless remains true). THERE WOULD BE ABSOLUTELY NO POINT IN MAKING A COUNTERFEIT WITH SIGNIFICANTLY DIFFERENT CHARACTERISTICS THAN A REGULAR CARD, i.e., card stock, inner border, and different photo-cropping), BUT EVERY POSSIBILITY SAME WAS DONE FOR PURPOSES OF FINAL DESIGN DETERMINATION.

If you decide to do each of the above, pm me as to the results. The loupe exam is an easy one. Only have the forensic exam as to both ink and stock done if the print dot pattern is what is should be, i.e., regular, linear and identical to the regular version M101-4 and M101-5 slabbed by PSA or SGC. I have no idea what the forensic examination would cost, but get a well-qualified expert if you decide to pursue the matter, and a full and detailed report.

Best of luck,

Larry

Last edited by ls7plus; 01-03-2019 at 02:41 PM.
Old 01-03-2019, 03:00 PM
Todd Schultz

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls7plus View Post
There are prototypes known but not graded with exactly the characteristics shown on your card (inner border; less foot showing due to different photo-cropping) which were in existence and appeared (very, very rarely) at shows long, long before this card exploded in value (a statement which I know will be controversial among the mainstream, but nonetheless remains true).
With all due respect, that's bullshit untrue. (forgot my New Year's resolution).
If we are to have another contest in the near future of our national existence, I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's but between patriotism and intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition and ignorance on the other. - Ulysses S. Grant, military commander, 18th US President.

Last edited by nolemmings; 01-03-2019 at 03:53 PM.
Old 01-03-2019, 03:57 PM
Larry

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolemmings View Post
With all due respect, that's bullshit.
With all due respect, your opinion is bullshit. In the late '80's, I went to many, many shows with a loupe with which to examine cards and protect against purchasing counterfeits (yes, they were out there then--in fact, counterfeits of the '84 Fleer Update Gooden and Clemens were quite popular, as was Mattingly), and have seen both the Ruth (2) and Thorpe (1) with exactly the same characteristics: inner border, different photocropping, lighter weight card stock. I also handled them, and they were not made to appear old, but had the same characteristics to the touch and eye as say, the R316's, with similar stock. But then again, you know the old saying, "opinions are like
_______s; everyone has one.

On the other hand, I've seen many, many counterfeit or reprint Ruth's. Every single one I looked at had the random dot pattern characteristic of re-screening an original. If you're trying to make a passable counterfeit or even a desirable reprint, there is absolutely no point whatsoever in printing them on lighter card stock, with different border characteristics/photocropping.

That these two would be selected for proofs or prototypes would certainly not have been unusual--Ruth was a 20-year old phenom who went 18-8 with a 2.44 ERA in 1915, the year before the M101-4's and '5's were made, and Thorpe was still at the height of his popularity.

The above is simply based on actual observations long, long ago, when it is doubtful it would have been worthwhile to print up a bunch of such cards for purposes of profit. And if they had been, why are there not more of them WITH THE PROPER PRINT DOT PATTERN I SPOKE OF? HOW DID IT GET THERE? DID SOMEONE MAKE A DUPLICATE PLATE FROM THE ORIGINAL PHOTO THAT WAS USED FOR FELIX MENDELSOHN'S M101 SETS? To me, that would be "bullshit." Because you're ignorant with regard to a given subject doesn't make someone else's observations on that matter "bullshit."

Much more interesting than your comment would be knowing what the dot pattern of this particular card shows under magnification, and if it is indeed linear and regular as it should be, what a forensic examiner's opinion would be after testing both the ink and the card stock, which can be done by a qualified expert. Where did you get your degree in forensics from, by the way?

Larry A. Smith

Last edited by ls7plus; 01-03-2019 at 04:07 PM.
Old 01-03-2019, 04:46 PM
Todd Schultz

Default Nice try

When Fritsch made the reprints, he essentially took a photograph of an existing photo, which when used in the reprint process, caused there to be a slight cropping from the original. It's as simple as that. That is what you see here.

You claim that you saw "originals" or better yet, "prototypes" of the Ruth m101-5 all those years ago. Show me one. Show me a scan of one. Show me a catalog pic or any other depiction of one. Don't limit yourself to Ruth and Thorpe. Show me one of ANY card from m101-5--you get a couple of hundred to choose from. There are none, none that are not reprints. ZERO--are you following along here?

Your latest post sparked a memory of a thread several years ago when you spouted similar nonsense. There you claimed to be in possession of one of these "prototypes", and were asked repeatedly to show scans. You have had more than 5 years from that thread to do so, and yet, nada.
http://www.net54baseball.com/showthr...ghlight=thorpe

There I more kindly suggested that you were in error, and that your analysis concerning Thorpe and Ruth being the subjects of Mendelsohn prototypes was unlikely. I stand by that, and invite you again to post your scan and pray tell, since you seem to be the owner of a six-figure card, why it isn't properly slabbed so as to stand out from the many fakes that ignorant collectors like me would discard. Surely even if you don't wish to sell it you would want protections in place such that upon your passing, your heirs aren't wrongfully told that it is unauthentic, they being unable at that point to consult your expertise. Of course, maybe I am incorrect in my assumption, and that you actually have had your genuine Ruth prototype slabbed. If so, please provide us with the serial number if you are not inclined to show a scan.
Old 01-03-2019, 06:14 PM
Larry

Nice try yourself, or close, but no cigar! You acknowledged that when Fritsch made his reprints, he took a photo to do so, presumably of an original card, since that would be a heck of a lot easier than getting a hold of the original photo from which Mendelsohn produced the M101 Ruth's. THAT WILL PRODUCE A RANDOM, RATHER THAN LINEAR DOT PATTERN. THAT'S HOW MOST COUNTERFEITS HAVE BEEN MADE! How many cards have you looked at under a 16X loupe? Not very many, I suspect. AS STATED, I HAVE SEEN 2 RUTH'S AND ONE THORPE NOW MORE THAN TWO DECADES AGO WHICH HAD A LINEAR, REGULAR PRINT DOT PATTERN, MATCHING THAT OF A REGULAR M101 CARD, BUT WITH DIFFERENT PHOTO-CROPPING AND LIGHTER WEIGHT CARD STOCK, WHICH WOULD INDICATE THEY WERE PRINTED EITHER FROM THE ORIGINAL PLATE, OR A DUPLICATE ORIGINAL MADE FROM THE ORIGINAL PHOTOGRAPH. Do you really think someone had a duplicate plate made from the original photograph, yet were dumb enough to print out the card on quite different stock with different photo-cropping (LOL)? Maybe just for their own amusement, perhaps? Or do you have some other explanation as to how to achieve such an original print dot pattern?

If I was the original poster to this thread, I'd certainly do a bit of investigation, the first of which will cost very, very little, merely to see if the second more costly step is even warranted. If the result shows a random, non-linear print dot pattern, the matter is at an end--simple test, simple conclusion. But if the result is positive, and does show a regular, linear dot pattern, I would at least consider consulting a qualified forensic paper examiner concerning the age of both the ink and the card stock, and possibly incurring the cost of the second step (which, admittedly, even if positive also, may not be sufficient to satisfy closed-minded graders at several of the TPG's). Better careful and thorough now, though, rather than sorry later. Alternatively, of course, you can do nothing and potentially lose out on a positive opportunity. Personally, I would want to learn more before coming to a conclusion based on insufficient facts, since I don't know everything, as you so obviously do. But as a lawyer specializing in litigation for more than 40 years, I certainly saw more than enough of conclusions drawn from insufficient facts--what a joy it has been getting them reversed in the Michigan Court of Appeals, Michigan Supreme Court, and U.S. Sixth Circuit Court of Appeals for almost 40 years. Join the crowd!

You probably don't believe there were printer's proofs of the '69 Topps Super Reggie Jackson, either, do you? But I own one (graded authentic by PSA before they stopped grading printer's proofs some time ago), and another, along with the Pete Rose from the set, went for about $900 some years ago in an REA auction. Perhaps the printer's proof/prototype Hal Newhauser card from the '40's doesn't exist either? Or, if it does, was that the only such card ever made?

Oh, and don't worry about my heirs--they certainly won't be hurting!

Best of luck as you stumble along your way,

Larry

Last edited by ls7plus; 01-03-2019 at 10:13 PM.
Old 01-03-2019, 07:49 PM
Todd Schultz

40 year litigator, wow. Did you consult with Rudy Giuiliani on this one?

So where’s your evidence counselor? You claim to own one of these Ruth “prototypes”, and have for years now. You stated you had scans more than 5 years ago, ready to upload. I and others asked you to provide one. You are and have been silent. Why? You are the proud owner of perhaps the most iconic card in the hobby— made even more valuable by the fact that yours is a one-of-a-kind prototype–and have told us 5 years ago that scans were coming. Now nothing. Geez, and you’re having trouble understanding why someone would call bullshit?

Your “evidence” consists entirely of your recollection–shared by no one else who has come forward– that you observed certain dot patterns 30 plus years ago convincing you that the cards with a larger space between photo and frame were legit. So let’s establish foundation for your testimony, Mr. Darrow. Where was this, and when? Did you take notes? Who was the dealer who showed you the cards? What other witnesses were there who might be called to share your recollection (you fancy pants litigators call that corroboration)? All those years ago. How many genuine, “normal” Ruth rookies had you examined by that time, which might serve for comparison? How many m101s of any kind had you examined? Oh that’s right, you were on the lookout for fake Mattingly rookies, sleuth that you are, and were carrying a loupe. Got it. Unimpeachable for sure. Wait, why are we wasting our time with such silly questions–you’ve got the card to prove your point. Where is it?

Your lack of evidence is matched by the illogic or at least implausibility of your other explanations. I pointed out years ago that Ruth and Thorpe’s popularity in early 1916 was not so great as to explain why they would have been selected for salesman’s samples, as you claimed, particularly given other available players and the Chicago base of operations for Mendelsohn. You agreed, but then switched gears to suggest it was a prototype or printer’s proof. But such things are by definition internal, not to be made public, so why would it matter if it was Ruth or Thorpe, when Jimmy Archer or Al Mamaux would serve the purpose? Their popularity (which I believe you overstate anyway) essentially would be a non-issue.

Then there’s the matter of card numbering. You are suggesting that Mendelsohn made a prototype of Ruth and Thorpe, and that he numbered them 151 and 176 respectively. So the issuer already knew that he would have 150 cards alphabetized before Ruth, then another 24 before Thorpe, when he generated these prototypes. Sure, makes complete sense. And if your answer is maybe Mendelsohn made a prototype of the entire 200 card set, then I ask again, as I did 5 years ago, why are there no other examples of any other cards in existence. For that matter and again, why are even the Ruth and Thorpe “prototypes” not confirmed by anyone other than you?

Finally and again, you are basically stating that these “prototypes”, which are different than the final product only by the small difference in space between the photo and frame, were completely scrapped. Mendelsohn kept the same design, photo selection, team, player name and number fonts and number sequencing, but just decided he needed to start over because that little space difference was bugging him to distraction. Yep, I can see no other explanation.

Please put an end to this, and show us your card. Or, in your words, keep stumbling along.
Old 01-03-2019, 09:14 PM

Well, I gotta admit, I don't have much knowledge about this card but if I'm sitting in the jury right now I think Todd just won the case without even needing a vote.

Rob M
Old 01-03-2019, 09:24 PM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

I have collected these cards on and off for thirty years. Everything Todd says is absolutely spot on. Nuf said!
Old 01-03-2019, 09:28 PM
Larry

I at least have honest questions, but not enough real answers. Todd seems to have plenty of bluster, but not much else. I am suggesting that at least one answer is easily had by the original poster to the thread before taking any decisive action--examination of the print dot pattern by magnification. That will either lead to more questions or signal the end of the trail.

Personally, I will be pursuing my own answers in due course, but have absolutely no reason to hurry, as other priorities have easily superceded it (new condo in Florida; Z06 Corvette to go with it; no need for the money any such card would be worth, so no financial motivation on my part; and wouldn't be selling it in any event). My purchases are intended to be investments over the long haul--some will work out, some will not, but I believe a great deal will over the long term and to a great extent, especially as our hobby continues to grow in numbers and knowledge. How many countries did REA announce their auctions reach?!? My collection will serve as just a minor part of my estate, most probably auctioned off upon my death to assist in putting my niece, nephew and granddaughter's children through college, as well as directing a portion to the missionary work of the church.

Answers won't be that hard to come by, and whatever they may turn out to be, I can accept them--if I'm wrong, then I'm wrong (I'll have no problem admitting it--never have). The answers will, however, come from those qualified to give them, and not those apparently without the requisite expertise who are instead driven by ego and assumption--that's purely a fool's path.

Sincerely stated,

Larry

Last edited by ls7plus; 01-03-2019 at 10:21 PM.
Old 01-03-2019, 09:35 PM
Larry

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldjudge View Post
I have collected these cards on and off for thirty years. Everything Todd says is absolutely spot on. Nuf said!
I've been heavily involved in the hobby for just under 30 years also, and don't even pretend to know everything there is to know, even with studying virtually everything I can get my hands on in accordance with what I'm seeking from it. If you know it all, you can call me

Impressed,

Larry
Old 01-03-2019, 09:42 PM
Larry

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramram View Post
Well, I gotta admit, I don't have much knowledge about this card but if I'm sitting in the jury right now I think Todd just won the case without even needing a vote.

Rob M
lol! I don't think anyone here is even qualified to cast a vote, except David, and he'd have to conduct an examination of the item.

Larry

Last edited by ls7plus; 01-03-2019 at 10:23 PM.
Old 01-03-2019, 10:36 PM
Todd Schultz

Larry, please, why won’t you post a scan? Your honor, please instruct the witness to answer the question.

Oh, that’s right, you will do so in due course, and you have absolutely no reason to hurry, given the vast riches you need to enjoy first. I’m sure that impresses so many folks here, and completely explains why you can take a good portion of an evening posting to the forum but not any time to post a scan.

But what about your love of the hobby and your affection for net54? Surely you realize that posting and discussing scans of your one-of-a-kind prototype Ruth could rock the hobby and possibly lead to important new research. I guess you’re just a low-key guy who prefers to keep his collection to himself. But wait, if that’s true why we were told more than five years ago, in a thread you chose to start yourself, that scans of your treasure were available?

You state you began getting heavily into the hobby just under 30 years ago, which means you were just getting “heavily” into it in the late 80's–the same time you claim to have made your momentous observations. Is it possible maybe you were not all that schooled in m101s, and Ruth rookies in particular, to know with any degree of expertise what you were seeing? Seems it would be easy enough to determine if you just show us a scan of your card. A scan–no pressure to sell–just a flippin’ scan.

Last edited by nolemmings; 01-03-2019 at 10:37 PM.
Old 01-04-2019, 04:47 AM
Damon Hudson

LOL I'm rooting for Larry on this one...Just bought a loupe 16x, I should get one anyway.
Old 01-04-2019, 08:22 AM
Chris

This is pretty clearly a fake given the artificial wear. None of the other discussions negate that. I wouldn’t waste money on this one.
Old 01-04-2019, 09:17 AM
Rich

I have a Porsche...
Old 01-04-2019, 11:53 AM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky View Post
I have a Porsche...
Me too.
Old 01-04-2019, 12:04 PM
Banned

toyota. so yeah I’m kind of a big deal
Old 01-04-2019, 01:05 PM
Ethan

Default Haha!

I have a Subaru with 225,629 miles...and a real Ruth!
Old 01-04-2019, 01:55 PM
Bob Davies

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls7plus View Post
Personally, I will be pursuing my own answers in due course, but have absolutely no reason to hurry, as other priorities have easily superceded it (new condo in Florida; Z06 Corvette to go with it; no need for the money any such card would be worth, so no financial motivation on my part; and wouldn't be selling it in any event)..... My collection will serve as just a minor part of my estate...
I have no horse in this race, so as a neutral observer...
when someone first outlines their worth and purchases, and then proceeds to use it as some kind of justification for an argument, it screams DOUCHE BAG.

Last edited by Stampsfan; 01-04-2019 at 01:57 PM.
Old 01-04-2019, 02:17 PM

RIP The Bruces

...or maybe not
Old 01-04-2019, 02:28 PM
Paul Herbener

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stampsfan View Post
I have no horse in this race, so as a neutral observer...
when someone first outlines their worth and purchases, and then proceeds to use it as some kind of justification for an argument, it screams DOUCHE BAG.
^^^^^^This^^^^^^
Old 01-04-2019, 03:24 PM
James

Quote:
Originally Posted by stampsfan View Post
i have no horse in this race, so as a neutral observer...
When someone first outlines their worth and purchases, and then proceeds to use it as some kind of justification for an argument, it screams douche bag.
amen
Old 01-04-2019, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky View Post
I have a Porsche...
Like this?

Old 01-04-2019, 04:11 PM
Ethan

Don't make me post my Subaru!!
Old 01-04-2019, 05:18 PM
Sean Costello

Quote:
Originally Posted by rats60 View Post
Like this?

What year is this Porsche? I used to own a 1978, hunter green, but otherwise it looked just like yours. I sold mine in 2003 so that I could buy more cards.

It was my "other" car. I met my girlfriend two years after I sold it. When she found out about it, she asked "why didn't you keep the Porsche and sell the Honda?" I told her "Because no one would pay much for the Honda."
Old 01-04-2019, 05:57 PM
Rich

"Like this?"

LOL, nope... I wish!

Just figured since Larry was mentioning he had a Corvette, it was relevant...
Old 01-04-2019, 07:37 PM
Er1c Sh@rp.

Ooh ooh! If we're playing the keeping up with the Jones' game then I'm posting my farm truck. I also have a hunting cabin. I just told my son that when I die to sell them for a free semester at the community college.
Old 01-04-2019, 09:35 PM
Jon Canfield

Back to the Ruth card - the one posted above is not genuine, and no such cards that display the characteristics of the one above (wide border, etc) were ever genuine.
Old 01-04-2019, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean View Post
What year is this Porsche? I used to own a 1978, hunter green, but otherwise it looked just like yours. I sold mine in 2003 so that I could buy more cards.

It was my "other" car. I met my girlfriend two years after I sold it. When she found out about it, she asked "why didn't you keep the Porsche and sell the Honda?" I told her "Because no one would pay much for the Honda."
1985. I have thought about selling to buy cards, but not yet.
Old 01-07-2019, 12:09 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

I have never seen a real M101-5/4 with a large, inside white border, such as is on the Ruth. I have seen fakes and reprints with smaller borders too, as others might have mentioned.
Old 01-07-2019, 01:20 PM

Default Ruth Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
I have never seen a real M101-5/4 with a large, inside white border, such as is on the Ruth. I have seen fakes and reprints with smaller borders too, as others might have mentioned.
+1,000! Spot on Leon!
Old 01-08-2019, 06:54 PM
DR
David R@tliff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tao_Moko View Post
Ooh ooh! If we're playing the keeping up with the Jones' game then I'm posting my farm truck. I also have a hunting cabin. I just told my son that when I die to sell them for a free semester at the community college.
Nice truck! I drive an F150.

I'll put either of these up against any Porsche in a good ole game of chicken any time!