NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 11-24-2018, 12:38 PM
Lou Simcoe
L0u Sim.coe

Default Overvalued players, series, sets?

Are there any particular cards, players, years, or series within a year that you believe are overvalued?
Old 11-24-2018, 02:25 PM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Not vintage, but I'd say really high end Mike Trout cards are obscenely overvalued and will be terrible investments if that's your goal. Trout could have another great decade and will still have very limited long term value. Amazing player, seemingly a wonderful real down to earth guy, with no almost no star value.
Old 11-24-2018, 02:28 PM
Raymond 'Robbie' Culpepper

1952 Topps #311 - priced way, way outside of a lot of wallets including mine.

- not even a true Rookie Card

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente

Last edited by clydepepper; 11-24-2018 at 02:29 PM.
Old 11-24-2018, 02:37 PM
Fred

I'll say it....

most "rookie" cards.

Could you imagine what you could obtain if you sold a NRMT 52T Mantle? Heck, you could get most of the T206 set and lots of other stuff (ok, maybe not NRMT, but....).

As mentioned before, not even his "rookie" card....

If I had a NRMT 52T Mantle I'd sell it and buy another lesser grade 52T Mantle card and a T206 Wagner in not so bad/great shape. Edited to add - oh yeah, and a 51B Mantle "rookie".

Last edited by Fred; 11-24-2018 at 02:38 PM.
Old 11-24-2018, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clydepepper View Post
1952 Topps #311 - priced way, way outside of a lot of wallets including mine.

- not even a true Rookie Card
Agree with this one, I think it has to be at the top of the list, IMO.
Old 11-24-2018, 02:45 PM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Sherry Magee (Magie) spelling error cards. Who cares that some dude that no one has ever heard off outside of this board and SABR meetings had his name spelled wrong on a tobacco card 100 years ago.

Well who cares to the tune of 80K or 100K might be a better question.
Old 11-24-2018, 03:21 PM
K3v1n Stru55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred View Post
If I had a NRMT 52T Mantle I'd sell it and buy another lesser grade 52T Mantle card and a T206 Wagner in not so bad/great shape. Edited to add - oh yeah, and a 51B Mantle "rookie".
I do not think that you are going to find a T206 Wagner to buy with the proceeds from a NM 1952 Topps Mantle.
Old 11-24-2018, 03:28 PM
Fred

How much is a NRMT PSA graded Mantle going for these days? Perhaps I could by the "restored" T206 Wagner being discussed in another thread.
Old 11-24-2018, 03:34 PM

Quote:
How much is a NRMT PSA graded Mantle going for these days? Perhaps I could by the "restored" T206 Wagner being discussed in another thread.
It would definitely have to be an A. PSA 1 Wagner is more than PSA 8 Mantle.
Old 11-24-2018, 03:38 PM
Br1@n L1ndh0lm3

Almost all Topps cards are overvalued or overrated in case that has different meanings to some.
Don’t get me wrong, I still like them, but they ain’t rare.
How many Nolan Ryan RC are there? That’s my example of crazy hype prices.

On the other side of the spectrum, is it possible that all original Babe Ruth cards are underrated? No bigger sports personality before, during or after his career...

Brian L
Familytoad
Ridgefield, WA

Hall of Fame collector.
Prewar Set collector.
Topps Era collector.
1971 Topps Football collector.
Old 11-24-2018, 03:53 PM
Lou Simcoe
L0u Sim.coe

I knew the 1952 Mantle would be on everyone's mind. What are your thoughts about Mantle cards in general, as overvalued. They're readily available and in nice condition. I understand the reason behind the price, but those prices.... Someone posted a while back that, anyone who thinks Mantle is overpriced doesn't own one.

Clemente also seems to be in the overvalued realm. Great player, the face of Latin baseball and an example for all of us as a humanitarian. He isn't Jackie though.
Old 11-24-2018, 05:28 PM
Fr@nk Burke++

Registry cards for the sake of getting a Joe handshake.

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Nearly*1000* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-24.
Over 680 sales with satisfied Board members served.
If you want fries with your order, just speak up.
Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 11-24-2018, 05:36 PM
CoreyRS.hanus

Condition rarities.
Old 11-24-2018, 06:27 PM
Sam Sw@rtz

Rare backs or printing anamolies of commons.
Old 11-24-2018, 08:43 PM
Val Kehl

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCRfan1 View Post
Are there any particular cards, players, years, or series within a year that you believe are overvalued?
All T206 cards!
Seeking very scarce/rare cards for my Sam Rice master collection, e.g., E210 York Caramel Type 2 (upgrade), 1931 W502, W504 (upgrade), W572 sepia, W573, W575-1 E. S. Rice version, 1922 Haffner's Bread, 1922 Keating Candy, 1922 Witmor Candy Type 2 (vertical back), 1926 Sports Co. of Am. with ad & blank backs. Also T216 Kotton "NGO" card of Hugh Jennings. Also 1917 Merchants Bakery & Weil Baking cards of WaJo.
Old 11-24-2018, 09:06 PM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

1915 Crackerjacks, all postcards.
Old 11-24-2018, 10:27 PM
Anson

Green Cobbs and Ohtani cards.
Old 11-24-2018, 10:58 PM
Eddie S.
Eddie Smi.th

I am always amazed when I see what some collectors are willing to pay for Old Judges where the image is so faded that the buyer has to take the seller's word for who is depicted on the card.

I have always been kind of amazed by the value of the Fatty Arbuckle Zeenut card. I get it that the image is fun and unique, but his Exhibit cards are worth very little.
Old 11-25-2018, 12:52 AM

Quote:
I have always been kind of amazed by the value of the Fatty Arbuckle Zeenut card. I get it that the image is fun and unique, but his Exhibit cards are worth very little.
Besides the popularity of the image and his notoriety, the Arbuckle card is a true scarcity in the 1919 set, and because of this it is the one card that will keep most collectors from completing the set.

Brian
Old 11-25-2018, 01:17 AM
Rhett Yeakley

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianp-beme View Post
Besides the popularity of the image and his notoriety, the Arbuckle card is a true scarcity in the 1919 set, and because of this it is the one card that will keep most collectors from completing the set.

Brian
Also, the Zeenut Arbuckle card is part of a Baseball Card Set and not simply a promotional card for an actor/actress of which there are hundreds of out there with some to minimal collectors value.

ebay store: kryvintage-->https://www.ebay.com/sch/kryvintage/...p2047675.l2562
Old 11-25-2018, 01:34 AM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

“I am always amazed when I see what some collectors are willing to pay for Old Judges where the image is so faded that the buyer has to take the seller's word for who is depicted on the card.”

I agree completely
Old 11-26-2018, 07:58 AM
Bob McLean

Quote:
I'll say it....

most "rookie" cards.

Could you imagine what you could obtain if you sold a NRMT 52T Mantle? Heck, you could get most of the T206 set and lots of other stuff (ok, maybe not NRMT, but....).

As mentioned before, not even his "rookie" card....

I think I would upgrade my house.
Old 11-26-2018, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CurtisFlood View Post
I think I would upgrade my house.
Well, it could be argued real estate is overvalued for the most part. Or at least it's not really an "investment".

Last edited by silvor; 11-26-2018 at 08:11 AM.
Old 11-26-2018, 08:17 AM
Steve P
Steven Pacc.hiano

Any derek jeter card
Successful transactions with: Drumback, Mart8081, Obcmac, Tonyo, markf31, gnaz01, rainier2004, EASE, Bobsbats, Craig M, TistaT202, Seiklis, Kenny Cole, T's please, Vic, marcdelpercio, poorlydrawncat, brianp-beme, mybuddyinc, Glchen, chernieto , old-baseball , Donscards, Centauri, AddieJoss, T2069bk,206fix, joe v, smokelessjoe, eggoman, botn, canjond

Looking for T205's or anything Babe Ruth...email or PM me if you have any to sell.
Old 11-26-2018, 08:48 AM
Bob McLean

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvor View Post
Well, it could be argued real estate is overvalued for the most part. Or at least it's not really an "investment".
In our neck of the woods real estate is a big bargain. Buy or build, it is affordable on most budgets.
Old 11-26-2018, 01:06 PM
Steve P
Steven Pacc.hiano

Quote:
Originally Posted by CurtisFlood View Post
In our neck of the woods real estate is a big bargain. Buy or build, it is affordable on most budgets.
Real estate usually a good investment as long as the schools are good.
Successful transactions with: Drumback, Mart8081, Obcmac, Tonyo, markf31, gnaz01, rainier2004, EASE, Bobsbats, Craig M, TistaT202, Seiklis, Kenny Cole, T's please, Vic, marcdelpercio, poorlydrawncat, brianp-beme, mybuddyinc, Glchen, chernieto , old-baseball , Donscards, Centauri, AddieJoss, T2069bk,206fix, joe v, smokelessjoe, eggoman, botn, canjond

Looking for T205's or anything Babe Ruth...email or PM me if you have any to sell.
Old 11-26-2018, 01:14 PM
T0dd M@rcum

Understanding it is relatively tough for the issue, the T212 Ten Million would come to mind. It's probably worth 10X what it should be because of the interesting name.
Old 11-26-2018, 01:14 PM
David Kathman

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldjudge View Post
“i am always amazed when i see what some collectors are willing to pay for old judges where the image is so faded that the buyer has to take the seller's word for who is depicted on the card.”

i agree completely
+1000
Old 11-26-2018, 02:08 PM
Bob McLean

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilKing00 View Post
Real estate usually a good investment as long as the schools are good.
Ours are good. We have produced a quality graduate able to go into whatever field they choose. Even a Chicago lawyer in the bunch.
Old 11-26-2018, 02:30 PM
Glenn
Glen.n Sch.ey-d

I'm interested in collecting the best players and the rarest cards, so anything that is highly valued for some other reason seems overpriced to me. And there are plenty of literally unique cards, so the fact that I could pick up this one for under $200 while others that I'd really like to own, such as this one cannot be had for under $100,000 does make the latter (equally rare as a specific set/player combo, much more common as a type, even if you specify the California League) seem a bit odd. Maybe if Jennings had sharper corners...

The other thing I'd say in general is that wherever there's a discrepancy between how great a player was and how popular he is to collect, that seems almost by definition to be an overvaluing of the cards. That's true even for some of the greatest players in the game's history. For instance, I'd have Mathewson, Gehrig, and Mantle each ranked among the top 25 players in MLB history (but outside of the top 10), whereas the prices their cards command suggest they're all among the top 10 players. Eddie Collins by contrast, also one of the top 25 players, seems undervalued. Not to say that buying Collins or selling Mathewson is a brilliant financial move right now, but if there's much value in cards 100 years from now I suppose I'd bet that Eddie Collins would rank a bit higher and Mathewson a bit lower than where they are right now.
Old 11-26-2018, 02:49 PM

Cracker Jacks. Haven't gotten any rarer. Prices continue to climb.
Old 11-26-2018, 04:57 PM
Orlando Rodriguez

T206. Other than rare backs and a handful of individual cards, they are beyond abundant. And even some of those “rare” ones are errors or variations. Also, I don’t fully understand why anyone would want to own the cards of 400+ common players. It’s a legendary set, but I think it’s way overrated. In contrast, CJ’s are more rare, much nicer, and came inside a product that goes hand in hand with baseball. I don’t collect either, so I have no dog in this fight. There was a thread recently where guys were posting T206s next to their T3 counterparts and the T3 images blew the t206 out of the water. Much like the 52 mantle, I think anything as popular and common as T206 belongs at the top of the overrated list. Don’t think I’m winning any popularity contests with this suggestion, but hey, it’s just my opinion.

Last edited by orly57; 11-26-2018 at 06:29 PM.
Old 11-26-2018, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by orly57 View Post
T206. Other than rare backs and a handful of individual cards, they are beyond abundant. And even some of those “rare” ones are errors or variations. Also, I don’t fully understand why anyone would want to own the cards of 400+ common players. It’s a legendary set, but I think it’s way overrated. In contrast, CJ’s are more rare, much nicer, and came inside a product that goes hand in hand with baseball. I don’t collect either, so I have no dog in this fight. Much like the 52 mantle, I think anything as popular and common as T206 belongs at the top of the overrated list. Don’t think I’m winning any popularity contests with this suggestion, but hey, it’s just my opinion.
-1 Boo!!! You lose my vote in the net54 popularity contest! But I will agree with you one thing - t206 Titus; I mean, great stash but otherwise who cares. Totally overrated

Last edited by Rhotchkiss; 11-26-2018 at 07:16 PM.
Old 11-26-2018, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by orly57 View Post
T206. Other than rare backs and a handful of individual cards, they are beyond abundant. And even some of those “rare” ones are errors or variations. Also, I don’t fully understand why anyone would want to own the cards of 400+ common players. It’s a legendary set, but I think it’s way overrated. In contrast, CJ’s are more rare, much nicer, and came inside a product that goes hand in hand with baseball. I don’t collect either, so I have no dog in this fight. There was a thread recently where guys were posting T206s next to their T3 counterparts and the T3 images blew the t206 out of the water. Much like the 52 mantle, I think anything as popular and common as T206 belongs at the top of the overrated list. Don’t think I’m winning any popularity contests with this suggestion, but hey, it’s just my opinion.
T3 is the most beautiful set ever made. T206 is still one of the most beautiful sets ever (T3 borrowed many of its images) and blows away Cracker Jacks. I have sold off most of my sets, but the t206 set is one that I will keep until I die. I don't see how any prewar cards can be over rated. They are far more scarce than most post war sets. Those "common" t206s still have smaller populations than the "rare" 1952 Topps Mantle.
Old 11-26-2018, 10:32 PM

It seems like every card I want to buy is overpriced, while any that I want to sell are underpriced.
Old 11-27-2018, 12:13 AM
Lou Simcoe
L0u Sim.coe

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul View Post
It seems like every card I want to buy is overpriced, while any that I want to sell are underpriced.
Amen to that. That's the life story of my collection.