NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 11-04-2018, 06:52 PM

Default New Participating Member

Hi...I wanted to take this time to introduce myself to other members. Although I registered September 2017 I never made time to introduce myself nor get involved although I check in from time to time to see what has been going on. Having broken my leg a few weeks ago while coaching at a cross country meet I’ve got lots of down time while I’m recovering from surgery so I thought I’d use the down time to introduce myself and try to get more involved in what I can tell is a fantastic group of not only collectors but even a greater group of people! I’ve enjoyed spending many hours of my down time reading the forums posted from the past. I began collecting cards in 2nd grade back in 1972 and collected until 1981 when I went off to college and stopped due to not having any extra funds to do so. I always kept my collection at my folks house and would look at them from time to time and all the time kept thinking I’d get back into it yet I knew I was so far behind it just seemed overwhelming to do so. Fast forward to 2002 and I was seriously looking for a reason and a starting place to jump back in to collecting when I came across a Jim Thorpe game used jersey card and a light came on! Having grown up close to his birthplace here in Oklahoma and being a track/cross country coach all my adult life(35 years now) I was well aware of Jim Thorpe and all he had accomplished. Being one who likes to try to do things most others do not I decided to start a Jim Thorpe collection as I figured very few people really concentrated on him. In diving into collecting Thorpe I got to be in contact with 2 others who have amassed really nice Thorpe collections but I do know there are very few who do collect Thorpe extensively. I have seen some smaller yet quality collections on some of the forums on this site. Since a couple of others who I know collect Thorpe cards I sold almost all of my 485 Thorpe material cards 8-9 years ago and starting concentrating on vintage ephemera concerning Thorpe. At 485 I realized I had a sickness I think! So, out of the ordinary Thorpe items, game tickets, game programs, original photos, postcards, etc...are what I primarily concentrate on now. I’ve also ventured into 1912 U.S. Olympic trials, 1912 Olympic items and post Olympic track items that he was involved in but didnt necessarily belong to him yet he would have received a ‘like item’ from the same meet or celebration. My goal is to accumulate items from all aspects of his life from beginning to end and tell his life’s story with any kind of ‘memorabilia’ that I can find and be fortunate enough to buy. At age 55 now I will continue to work on it exclusively as the only thing I collect. With over 1,000 Thorpe related items it just seems time to start sharing what I’ve been able to accumulate with other collectors. Hope to get to know some of you over the years! Thank you for your time! Mike
Old 11-04-2018, 07:09 PM
Lou Simcoe
L0u Sim.coe

Welcome aboard!
Old 11-04-2018, 09:05 PM
Bob McLean

Hi Mike, glad you are here. Very interesting topic for collecting. Mr. Thorpe is no doubt one of the all time great athletes in this country.
Old 11-04-2018, 09:51 PM

You know...as time goes by and fewer and fewer kids get involved in the hobby the more I get set in stone to get his name and legacy out in the open. I believe it is a unique collection which is a big reason in persuing it. I teach Oklahoma and U.S. History so I make sure that I do an extensive section about him in class so I get to put his name out in the public quite a bit!
Old 11-04-2018, 09:58 PM
Val Kehl

Welcome aboard, Mike - you have an awesome collecting focus!
Seeking very scarce/rare cards for my Sam Rice master collection, e.g., E210 York Caramel Type 2 (upgrade), 1931 W502, W504 (upgrade), W572 sepia, W573, W575-1 E. S. Rice version, 1922 Haffner's Bread, 1922 Keating Candy, 1922 Witmor Candy Type 2 (vertical back), 1926 Sports Co. of Am. with ad & blank backs. Also T216 Kotton "NGO" card of Hugh Jennings. Also 1917 Merchants Bakery & Weil Baking cards of WaJo.
Old 11-04-2018, 10:14 PM

I see that you collect Sam Rice so you personally know how hard it can be to even find ...much less purchase excellent items for your collection. I guess that’s the fun of it huh? I’ve always walked to the beat of a different drummer so I’m always thinking of different angles to make my collection even better. I’ve even purchased some team photos of the teams he would have competed against so maybe I’m going to far away from my focus...time will tell. I’ll eventually put it all in sequential order and tell his story!
Old 11-04-2018, 10:17 PM

Welcome, Mike. Hope you make a speedy recovery. All my daughters run xc.
Old 11-04-2018, 10:47 PM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

Hi Mike. Welcome to the forum. I only have one Thorpe card, albeit a nice one, so I am anxious to see some of the material you have acquired.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 61703535-9717-4AA1-B6C2-5D99B6FA248F.jpg (12.6 KB, 171 views)
Old 11-04-2018, 11:00 PM

Greatest and oldest sport! They made a great choice!
Old 11-04-2018, 11:03 PM

Oh my gosh..uh..yes it is a fantastic card! I sold a PSA 8 sport kings, PSA 3 famous and Barr like yours and a 1922 zeenut(authentic) 8 or 9 years ago so I indeed know what you possess! Kinda wish I had not sold them now but had some dire family issues so it had to be done and would do it again. Love your card and thanks for showing it! Mike
Old 11-05-2018, 09:57 AM
Ed

Default Thorpe

Hi Mike-
Thanks for posting!
It would be great to see some pix when you get a chance, realizing that having a broken leg may not make it too easy to get around.
Ed
Old 11-05-2018, 10:00 AM
T0m C@rf@gn0

That is a terrific area of focus. I especially like that you are going towards the memorabilia side as there would be so much more that you can (potentially) obtain as opposed to just cards which are unfortunately very limited.

Are you interested in movie posters for the film Jim Thorpe All American? I may be able to get my hands on some posters, lobby cards etc. Let me know and I will see what I may be able to track down, or at least keep an eye out for. Thorpe was an extra in several films in the 1930's, unfortunately he was not featured in any posters or lobby cards for those roles.

I had a Jim Thorpe signed moccasin sole that I sold about a year ago.
Old 11-05-2018, 07:21 PM

Tom? Hi...I have several things concerning the movie of his life. I have a movie poster but not a lobby card. I actually have a lobby card with Jim on it and an original picture with the same likeness! I’m collecting all aspects of his life. I’ll eventuall post a picture of the lobby card and picture for all to see. He does appear with Tex Ritter on a movie poster of ‘Arizona Frontier’. Google the movie or Jim Thorpe and the movie and you can see it. Mike
Old 11-05-2018, 07:58 PM
T0m C@rf@gn0

Quote:
Originally Posted by runred41 View Post
Tom? Hi...I have several things concerning the movie of his life. I have a movie poster but not a lobby card. I actually have a lobby card with Jim on it and an original picture with the same likeness! I’m collecting all aspects of his life. I’ll eventuall post a picture of the lobby card and picture for all to see. He does appear with Tex Ritter on a movie poster of ‘Arizona Frontier’. Google the movie or Jim Thorpe and the movie and you can see it. Mike
Is that him with the cauldron? I know there are a few still that picture him. Lobby cards from that film don't show up very often.

Actually in doing some research, Thorpe is prominent on the one sheet and the title card for the film as well. I was not aware. One sheet is a great image of Thorpe.
Old 11-05-2018, 08:23 PM

Default Welcome

you will love it here.
Old 11-06-2018, 06:30 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Welcome aboard, Mike. I collect some Lobby Cards too.....Love to see it when you get a chance. Happy Collecting and good luck in the hunt!!
Old 11-06-2018, 10:55 AM

Leon..thanks for the welcome! The lobby cards and posters with him on them are next to impossible to locate. I think I found the lobby card from somebody in Australia if I remember the purchase correctly. Sure would love to get a movie poster of Arizona Frontier with he and Tex Ritter on it. Several movie items from that movie has him on it....just can’t locate any! Mike
Old 11-06-2018, 08:21 PM

I already do! I’ve already seen some Thorpe stuff I didn’t know existed!