NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 07-11-2015, 04:56 PM
Brent Niederman
Bre.nt Nieder.m@n

Default OT: The greatest game ever pitched

Was a fun read, hard to argue against. The reel is simply unbelievable, his curveball in the 5th to the lefty and same guy later on were filthy.

I will admit I am ignorant to older decades of ball pre-70's for individual games.

Almost brings a tear to my eye for what could have been. Tremendous person, talked with him a few times and simply a great guy. I will always be a fan or him both on and off the field.

http://www.ozy.com/performance/the-g...0All%20Devices

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by HOF Auto Rookies; 07-11-2015 at 05:21 PM.
Old 07-11-2015, 05:03 PM
Peter Spaeth

I think Strasburg is on a similar trajectory from limitless potential to just north of average for his career. You have to wonder if these kids have appropriate training etc., to be wrecking their elbows so young.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 07-11-2015, 05:20 PM
Brent Niederman
Bre.nt Nieder.m@n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
I think Strasburg is on a similar trajectory from limitless potential to just north of average for his career. You have to wonder if these kids have appropriate training etc., to be wrecking their elbows so young.

It seems the research I've done is that it basically is attributed to throwing harder than average.

Old 07-11-2015, 05:41 PM
Raymond 'Robbie' Culpepper

I would have to rate Wood's game the best ever. But close behind are many others:

Three that come to mind are

Pedro's 1-hit, 17K game vs. the Yankees ,
Ryan's 7th no-hitter vs. a loaded Toronto lineup,
and my personal favorite, Halladay's Playoff No-Hitter vs. the Reds (I never saw a pitcher more in control than that).

...oh, and then there's Scherzer...WOW!

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente

Last edited by clydepepper; 07-11-2015 at 05:43 PM.
Old 07-11-2015, 05:48 PM
Brent Niederman
Bre.nt Nieder.m@n

Quote:
Originally Posted by clydepepper View Post
I would have to rate Wood's game the best ever. But close behind are many others:

Three that come to mind are

Pedro's 1-hit, 17K game vs. the Yankees ,

Ryan's 7th no-hitter vs. a loaded Toronto lineup,

and my personal favorite, Halladay's Playoff No-Hitter vs. the Reds (I never saw a pitcher more in control than that).

...oh, and then there's Scherzer...WOW!

Great examples, one that sticks out is Pedro. I personally view him as the best ever (I know most likely I'm wrong but my opinion ) and thought about that game.

Old 07-11-2015, 05:55 PM

I agree Brent...IMHO, Pedro was the best I ever saw.
Have you noticed that 'everyone' seems to want to stick someone with label 'best pitcher in the game'...and no one seems to keep that unofficial title more than a year or two.

Verlander gave way to Halladay who gave way to Kershaw who seems ready to give way to Scherzer. Lonely at the top!

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente

Last edited by clydepepper; 07-11-2015 at 05:58 PM.
Old 07-11-2015, 05:55 PM
Brent Niederman
Bre.nt Nieder.m@n

Quote:
Originally Posted by clydepepper View Post
I agree Brent...IMHO, Pedro was the best I ever saw.

We are in the minority my friend

Old 07-11-2015, 06:01 PM

I'm here in GA so, with the amazing Greg Maddux , so you know I mean it if I pick someone else.

Old 07-11-2015, 06:08 PM

Although I wasn't there, Harvey Haddix's perfect game lost in the 13th.
Old 07-11-2015, 06:16 PM
Peter Spaeth

Drugs aside, of the pitchers I've seen as an adult and I am biased towards those I saw a lot, Clemens, then Johnson, then Pedro, then Maddux. If five year stretches were enough, Gooden would be in the mix.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 07-11-2015, 06:26 PM
Greg Mitchell

Topping them all--Marichal's CG 16-inning shutout vs Spahn who gave up winning HR to Mays. I remember hearing about it on radio the morning after and justly now legendary.
Old 07-11-2015, 06:42 PM
Brent Niederman
Bre.nt Nieder.m@n

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregMitch34 View Post
Topping them all--Marichal's CG 16-inning shutout vs Spahn who gave up winning HR to Mays. I remember hearing about it on radio the morning after and justly now legendary.

Omg, I bet that would amazing to listen to live.

Old 07-11-2015, 06:56 PM
Peter Spaeth

That game would never happen today in the age of pampered delicate pitchers. Each side would have had seven different pitchers.

Old 07-11-2015, 06:58 PM
Ted Zanidakis

Default World Series PERFECT game

I was a young teenager on Oct 8th 1956 when Don Larsen pitched his Perfect No-Hitter against the Brooklyn Dodgers in Yankee Stadium.
I watched this entire game....and, there is nothing in Baseball in terms of pitching that compares. It was, and still is the GREATEST game
ever pitched.

TED Z

Last edited by tedzan; 01-02-2020 at 07:15 PM.
Old 07-11-2015, 06:59 PM
Brent Niederman
Bre.nt Nieder.m@n

Quote:
That game would never happen today in the age of pampered delicate pitchers. Each side would have had seven different pitchers.

100% correct, and at least 7 lol

Old 07-11-2015, 06:59 PM
Brent Niederman
Bre.nt Nieder.m@n

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedzan View Post
I was a young teenager on Oct 8th 1956 when Don Larsen pitched his Perfect No-Hitter against the Brooklyn Dodgers in Yankee Stadium.

I watched this entire game....and, there is nothing in Baseball in terms of pitching that compares. It was, and still is the GREATEST game

ever pitched.

TED Z

Must have been surreal.

Old 07-11-2015, 07:19 PM
Ted Zanidakis

Default Brent

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOF Auto Rookies View Post
Must have been surreal.

Surreal is an excellent choice of words to describe this World Series game. The Dodgers pitcher, Sal Maglie, pitched a great game, also. But, one pitch too good for Mickey Mantle,
who hit a HR.

Here we are 59 years later; and, I will never forget Mantle's catch in deep Left-Centerfield to rob Gil Hodges of a possible inside-the-park HR. Hodges hit the ball approx. 440 feet.

TED Z
Old 07-11-2015, 07:24 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedzan View Post
Surreal is an excellent choice of words to describe this World Series game. The Dodgers pitcher, Sal Maglie, pitched a great game, also. But, one pitch too good for Mickey Mantle,
who hit a HR.

Here we are 59 years later; and, I will never forget Mantle's catch in deep Left-Centerfield to rob Gil Hodges of a possible inside-the-park HR. Hodges hit the ball approx. 440 feet.

TED Z
It may not be true, but I have read that after the game, a reporter actually asked Stengel if it was the best game he had seen Larsen pitch, and he answered, "so far."

Old 07-11-2015, 08:16 PM
Ted Zanidakis

Default Hey Peter

I can't speak of what Casey spoke of. But, I certainly recall what Larsen's response to the gaggle of sports reporters that surrounded him.

He modestly told them...... "the Dodgers made it easy for me, I only threw 96 pitches".

TED Z
Old 07-11-2015, 08:49 PM
Brent Niederman
Bre.nt Nieder.m@n

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOF Auto Rookies View Post
Must have been surreal.

And I guess I should say non-playoff game . Including playoffs Don wins, I think lol. Very difficult to pick because one was where it mattered most.

Old 07-11-2015, 08:54 PM
Drew Ekb@ck

When Sandy Koufax threw his perfect game on September 9th, 1965 he obviously had 27 batters up and 27 batters down. An amazing feat of pitching in any era. What makes this game even more unbelievable is that the opposing Cubs pitcher, Bob Hendly, threw a one hitter allowing only one unearned run. The one hit he gave up ended up left stranded on base.

In all of baseballs recorded history that game was the ONLY true one hitter. It was also the only game in history where only one runner was left on base.

So in all it wasn't just 27 up, 27 down it was actually 56 up and 54 down. In my humble opinion that was the greatest game ever pitched.

Drew

http://www.baseball-reference.com/bo...96509090.shtml
Old 07-11-2015, 10:44 PM

I happened to be at the game where Tom Seaver had 10 strikeouts to end the game against San Diego. I was only 7 years old and my parents lived in Suffolk but I spent a lot of time at my grandparents house in Queens and my grandfather took me to this great game. What I remember most was that it was fairly cold at Shea Stadium that day and I couldn't wait for the game to end. Seaver was my favorite player growing up and the kids of my age group were all Mets fans in Suffolk County.
Old 07-11-2015, 11:24 PM
Jeff R

I was looking at a Joe Oeschger card recently and wanted to find out more about this pitcher and what I found was extraordinary. Oeschger and his rival pitcher, Leon Cadore, each pitched 26 innings in one game, ending in a 1-1 tie. The game took place on May 1, 1920, and it was called due to darkness. While neither of these pitchers would be called the most dominant pitcher, it was certainly an impressive feat and in my mind one of the greatest pitching performances. To read more about this game, there was an ESPN article written about it a couple years ago.

http://espn.go.com/blog/sweetspot/po...ent-26-innings
Successful Net54 transactions with: t206fix x2, Shammus, mybuddyinc x3, FrankWakefield, Brian Van Horn, Jrsox, Vintagetoppsguy, powderfinger, Bocabirdman x2, Baseball*Collectibles, bcbgcbrcb, Vintageismygame, usernamealreadytaken, oldjudge x2, Joshchisox08, rocarroll, Voodoochild, Sebie43 and frankbmd and more...
Old 07-11-2015, 11:33 PM
A.J. Johnson

that curveball eliciting the swinging strike on K #19 at 2:58 on the video is sooo nasty!
*Proudest hobby accomplishment: finished the 1914 Cracker Jack set ranked #11 all-time
Old 07-12-2015, 06:11 AM

How about These 3 oldies:

October 2, 1908 - Cleveland 1 Chicago 0
Addie Joss's Perfecto vs. Big Ed Walsh's one unearned run & 15Ks

May 2, 1917 - Cincinnati 1 Chicago 0
The DOUBLE NO-HITTER-
Fred Toney bests Hippo Vaughn in 10 Innings.

May 26, 1959 - Milwaukee 1 Pittsburgh 0
Hard-Luck Harvey looses his perfecto in the 13th inning &
Lew Burdette completes a 13 inning shuout.

Two sources for this information: 'Dry Wells- A Century of No-Hitters' by Paul Malone & 'Pitched Battle- 35 of Baseball's Greatest Duels from the Mound' by John Klima

Last edited by clydepepper; 07-12-2015 at 06:14 AM.
Old 07-12-2015, 10:10 AM
Jake

No respect for Kerry Wood's 20k game aside from the original post? I actually watched that game during the winter doldrums on YouTube and I never knew that he hit Craig Biggio. The opposing pitcher, Shane Reynolds, also threw a good game himself.

Always up for a trade.

If you have a Blue Weiser Wonder WaJo, PM/Email Me!

Last edited by Jlighter; 07-12-2015 at 10:13 AM.
Old 07-12-2015, 05:08 PM
C0nor D0na.hue

I once read about a game that Cy Young pitched against Rube Waddell. They both went the distance....21 innings. Waddell ended up winning, but not before Young hit a guy in the 20th still with such force that he broke the guy's arm. Maybe not the greatest game ever pitched, but certainly worth an honorable mention.
Old 07-12-2015, 06:24 PM
Bob Donaldson

Another vote for Pedro's 17 K 1 H 1 ER game against the Yankees.

As a Red Sox season ticket holder I saw a lot of Pedro and Roger in their primes. I'll go with Pedro. Man I miss him!
Old 07-12-2015, 06:33 PM
Pete Sycks

Jack Morris 1991 Game 7, complete game 10 inning shut out. Most clutch performance in the toughest situation known to the game.

http://syckscards.weebly.com

Always looking for 1938 Goudey's
Old 07-12-2015, 07:23 PM
Brent Niederman
Bre.nt Nieder.m@n

Quote:
Originally Posted by sycks22 View Post
Jack Morris 1991 Game 7, complete game 10 inning shut out. Most clutch performance in the toughest situation known to the game.

And the balls TK had to have faith in him.

Old 07-12-2015, 09:17 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by sycks22 View Post
Great performance, but I cannot see a 7-hitter being the greatest pitching performance of all time.

Old 07-12-2015, 09:23 PM
Brent Niederman
Bre.nt Nieder.m@n

Default OT: The greatest game ever pitched

Wood was just pure domination to a point where it looked like the Astros had never played before. They just got embarrassed.

Last edited by HOF Auto Rookies; 07-12-2015 at 09:24 PM.
Old 07-12-2015, 09:27 PM
Peter Spaeth

Didn't see it, but Nolan Ryan's no-hit, 17 strikeout performance against the Tigers in 1973 has to be up there. I have read that the last batter, Norm Cash, first came to the plate with a broomstick, telling the catcher and umpire a bat would do him no good.

Old 07-12-2015, 09:27 PM
Brent Niederman
Bre.nt Nieder.m@n

Quote:
Didn't see it, but Nolan Ryan's no-hit, 17 strikeout performance against the Tigers in 1973 has to be up there. I have read that the last batter, Norm Cash, first came to the plate with a broomstick, telling the catcher and umpire a bat would do him no good.

I remember reading of that!

Old 07-13-2015, 11:55 AM
Paul S

Quote:
I have read that the last batter, Norm Cash, first came to the plate with a broomstick, telling the catcher and umpire a bat would do him no good.

I thought it was a table leg

Last edited by pbspelly; 07-13-2015 at 11:56 AM.
Old 07-14-2015, 06:08 PM
Chris

Default Harvey

Gotta give Harvey Haddix another vote. 12 perfect innings versus Aaron, Mathews, Adcock etc. Unbelievable in today's world.
Old 07-14-2015, 06:12 PM
Sco.tt Mar.cus

I'll throw it out I case it hasn't come up already: Warren Spahn vs Juan Marchial on July 2, 1963. I think it went 16 innings, and ended 1-0 when Willie Mays homered.