NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 01-03-2019, 03:56 PM
Howard Che.r.n.i.ck

Default OT: Get Ready for USPS Rate Increase

I just heard that the USPS is raising their postage rates once again.

Sellers get ready to update your S/H rates.

Check out the link for the updated rates.

https://www.stamps.com/usps/postage-rate-increase/

Buythatcard

http://stores.ebay.com/Buythatcard
Old 01-04-2019, 07:26 AM
Larry More.y

The "gotcha" with this year's USPS rate increases is that 1st Class Packages are changing over to a zone based pricing structure. With 9 mailing zones, the further away you mail something to, the greater the cost. For example, under the new pricing, if I live in NY and mail a 4 oz piece to NJ the price will be the same as now $2.66. But if a 4 oz mailing is sent to CA from NY with the new rates, the price jumps to $3.09. East coast and west coast shippers will experience the greatest increases in prices. In addition, all 5-8 oz packages will cost $3.05 instead of increasing at each OZ increment.

https://postcalc.usps.com/DomesticZoneChart

https://blog.stamps.com/tag/2019-usps-prices/

I have not seen how ebay will handle this, but it will appear that ebay sellers would consider a switch from a flat rate to a calculated s/h cost so that they do not over/under charge their customers. Or pick a price point in the middle.

The new pricing norm for mailing a card(s) via 1st class package may become $4.

For those that ship a lot using this service, thoughts?
Old 01-04-2019, 07:45 AM
Tim Hadley
Tim Ha.dley

So it's actually cheaper to mail a first class letter in 2019 that is over one ounce... if I'm reading the table correctly? It's cheaper for each additional ounce after the one ounce.
I guess with the zone shipping charges I might be glad I live in the midwest!
Old 01-04-2019, 07:57 AM
Howard Che.r.n.i.ck

International customers will get hit once again. It already cost a fortune to ship first class to Canada. It appears that the rates are increasing 3.9%.

Buythatcard

Old 01-04-2019, 09:05 AM
Stefan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Promethius88 View Post
So it's actually cheaper to mail a first class letter in 2019 that is over one ounce... if I'm reading the table correctly? It's cheaper for each additional ounce after the one ounce.
I guess with the zone shipping charges I might be glad I live in the midwest!
Yes - so first class stamps are going up to $0.55 but extra ounces are now $0.15; so a 2 oz Letter or a 1 oz Non-Machinable is now $0.70, instead of $0.71
Old 01-04-2019, 09:26 AM
Rick McQuillan

Default UPS and Fed Ex

UPS raised their prices by 4.9% on Dec 28th, and Fed Ex prices are going up by 4.9% on Jan 7. The Postal Service's overall increase across the board averages around 2.5%, which is roughly equal to the 2018 rate of inflation. The Postal Service is limited, by law, to limit rate increases to the inflation rate.

Another thing to remember about the Postal Service is - each year, because of population growth, the Postal Service adds 1.1 million new delivery points. This means 1000's of new clerks and carriers need to be hired, new machinery is purchased, and additional vehicles are needed.

T213-2 139 down 46 to go.

Last edited by buymycards; 01-04-2019 at 09:29 AM.
Old 01-04-2019, 10:18 AM
Dave Foster

The linkys say nothing re: the increases ALSO mean more competence, efficiency and minimizing delivery errors. Guess that was an oversight?
Old 01-04-2019, 10:42 AM
Larry More.y

Since 2015 the rate to mail a 1st class package has increased nearly 50% with the 2019 rate change, I decided to look at my selling trends in comparison to the s/h increases over the past few years.

Most of the cards I sell are lower priced 50-60s commons. My transaction count (total payments) for 2018 was 28% below 2015's count, but I sold 13% more items in 2018 than I did in 2015. From 2015 to 2018 my items/transaction has increased by 41%. This means my buyers are buying more at one time than they were 3 years ago, likely to save on the increased s/h costs which I (as most every other seller) has passed onto their customer. While I am not selling fewer items , based on my transaction counts I am shipping fewer packages....however, my year end USPS shipping costs have remained the same over the past few years.

With the above in mind, I suspect many other businesses have experienced similar results over the past few years. If my experiences are indeed similar to the majority of other businesses that rely on the USPS to deliver their product, this ultimately means that the USPS in not increasing their revenue by raising their rates, they are simply reducing their volume.
Old 01-04-2019, 10:44 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Actually, a zone-based rate makes sense. I mean, it takes more of everything to ship a card across country than across town.

Flat rate shipping prices will go up on eBay.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 01-06-2019, 03:14 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Everything is going up. USPS is following suit.
Old 01-06-2019, 05:09 PM
Steve Zarelli

Granted, email killed the postcard and letter, but package mailing is higher than ever given online selling. You'd think the post office would be doing well... especially given the low fuel costs over the past few years.
Old 01-06-2019, 06:43 PM
T!.m H.
Tim Hu,nt

Feel lucky we are not in the eurozone where a one ounce letter typically cost around $3 usd to mail...we still have it good here...
Successful B/S/T deals with asoriano, obcbobd, x2dRich2000, eyecollectvintage, RepublicaninMass, Kwikford, Oneofthree67, jfkheat, scottglevy, whitehse, GoldenAge50s, Peter Spaeth, Northviewcats, megalimey, BenitoMcNamara, Edwolf1963, mightyq, sidepocket, darwinbulldog, jasonc, jessejames, sb1, rjackson44, bobbyw8469, quinnsryche, Carter08, philliesfan and ALBB, Buythatcard and JimmyC so far.
Old 01-06-2019, 06:58 PM
Fred

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
Everything is going up. USPS is following suit.
Let's hope the price of card board does not go up!
Old 01-06-2019, 08:58 PM
Adam Yastrzemski

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Zipper View Post
Granted, email killed the postcard and letter, but package mailing is higher than ever given online selling. You'd think the post office would be doing well... especially given the low fuel costs over the past few years.
You can do a google search for total revenue for usps to find the numbers. They did a total $70 billion in revenue last year. Each year they average between $65 - $74 billion. So, what happens with a government agency or any large corporation is when revenue goes up they find a way to spend it and they budget a little more for next year. So when revenue goes from $74b to $65b - and they budgeted $76b - they fall short. I’m sure we all wish we had those problems. But the postal service does have a lot of payroll, a lot of pensions and a lot of fuel to pay every day. The average postmaster salary is $74k and almost every town in the US has one.
That being said, when I started mailing cards on eBay in 1998-99 it would cost 49 cents to mail a card in a bubble mailer. Now it’s close to $3. About 4 years ago I could ship a framed photo from NY to CA for under $15. Today it’s $70. So the package cost has risen at an insane rate and their revenue has stayed mainly even so they must be losing a lot on stamped mail.
As it stands, they are still the best deal out there. For small packages under a pound no one else can compete. And unless you are a big seller and negotiate a better price on volume with ups or fedex they are still the best on packages over a pound also.
Buyers have to understand that it costs money to ship things and those costs are going up and they are going to have to pay a little more. And it sucks for all of us as both buyers and sellers.
Old 01-07-2019, 06:13 AM
Howard Che.r.n.i.ck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yastrzemski Sports View Post
You can do a google search for total revenue for usps to find the numbers. They did a total $70 billion in revenue last year. Each year they average between $65 - $74 billion. So, what happens with a government agency or any large corporation is when revenue goes up they find a way to spend it and they budget a little more for next year. So when revenue goes from $74b to $65b - and they budgeted $76b - they fall short. I’m sure we all wish we had those problems. But the postal service does have a lot of payroll, a lot of pensions and a lot of fuel to pay every day. The average postmaster salary is $74k and almost every town in the US has one.
That being said, when I started mailing cards on eBay in 1998-99 it would cost 49 cents to mail a card in a bubble mailer. Now it’s close to $3. About 4 years ago I could ship a framed photo from NY to CA for under $15. Today it’s $70. So the package cost has risen at an insane rate and their revenue has stayed mainly even so they must be losing a lot on stamped mail.
As it stands, they are still the best deal out there. For small packages under a pound no one else can compete. And unless you are a big seller and negotiate a better price on volume with ups or fedex they are still the best on packages over a pound also.
Buyers have to understand that it costs money to ship things and those costs are going up and they are going to have to pay a little more. And it sucks for all of us as both buyers and sellers.

Well said!

Buythatcard