NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > WaterCooler Talk- Off Topics

Old 02-16-2015, 05:32 PM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

I was watching the local news tonight and saw this story that reminded me of this thread...

http://abc13.com/news/girl-4-attacke...ground/520757/

I started to say this last night, but I bit my tongue. I'll say it now though. Pit bulls serve no purpose. IMO, they should all be euthanized.
Old 02-16-2015, 08:28 PM
P.hil €lli$

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagetoppsguy View Post
I was watching the local news tonight and saw this story that reminded me of this thread...

http://abc13.com/news/girl-4-attacke...ground/520757/

I started to say this last night, but I bit my tongue. I'll say it now though. Pit bulls serve no purpose. IMO, they should all be euthanized.
That is the most ignorant post that I have seen on this board ever!
Old 02-16-2015, 08:49 PM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgellis View Post
That is the most ignorant post that I have seen on this board ever!
Last year, there were 42 dog-bite related deaths in the US. 27 of those (64%) were by pit bulls. Going back over the last 10 years, that number decreases slightly to 62%. How does one breed account for so many deaths?

So speaking of ignorance, go ahead and tell us what good dogs pit bulls are and how wonderful they are with kids., blah, blah, blah. There is a reason that pit bulls are banned as pets from most apartment complexes. There is a reason most dog rescues/shelters euthanize pit bulls. There is a reason that the majority of law enforcement uses pit bulls over any other breed.

Or just save your ignorant rhetoric before you look more stupid!!!

Edited to add: Pit bulls make up only 6% of the dog population, but account for 68% of dog attacks.

Last edited by vintagetoppsguy; 02-16-2015 at 09:08 PM.
Old 02-17-2015, 07:36 AM
Ben North

Quote:
Last year, there were 42 dog-bite related deaths in the US. 27 of those (64%) were by pit bulls. Going back over the last 10 years, that number decreases slightly to 62%. How does one breed account for so many deaths?

So speaking of ignorance, go ahead and tell us what good dogs pit bulls are and how wonderful they are with kids., blah, blah, blah. There is a reason that pit bulls are banned as pets from most apartment complexes. There is a reason most dog rescues/shelters euthanize pit bulls. There is a reason that the majority of law enforcement uses pit bulls over any other breed.

Or just save your ignorant rhetoric before you look more stupid!!!

Edited to add: Pit bulls make up only 6% of the dog population, but account for 68% of dog attacks.
Phil was wrong this post is much stupider than the one he quoted because this one also has some made up statistics.

My personal opinion is that it is 100% the dog owners fault and not the dogs no matter what breed it is. Pit Bulls get the bad name because they can be an aggressive breed when owned by people who should not own them.

We have a 2yo American Staffordshire Terrier(supposed to be the worst breed of pit bull). We adopted him a little over a year ago from the same shelter we got our last 2 dogs a St. Bernard and a Rottweiler.

Here is a picture of my Pit Bull from thanksgiving. The Wife and I love him dearly but if he was to ever bite anybody even once he would be dead before the sun set.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN3944.jpg (66.8 KB, 141 views)
Old 02-17-2015, 07:51 AM
P.hil €lli$

Ben, you are correct.

David took some statistics that he Googled to try and make his point. Pit Bulls are the most mis-identified breed out there. The term "Pit Bull" is actually a catch-all phrase for many "Bully Breeds" including American Staffordshire Terrier, American Pit Bull Terrier, American Bulldog and many mixes of these breeds with other breeds.

I'm sure the stats that David took lumped many mixed breed dogs into his 64% of attacks by Pit Bulls, but when he said that Pit Bulls only make up 6% of all breeds, I'm sure that number relates to American Pit Bull terriers that only make up a small percentage of all the dogs that are termed a "pit bull".
Law enforcement and the media continue to mis-identify the true breed of most dogs involved in attacks.

My pit-mix came from a high-kill shelter in Georgia where every dog in that shelter was labeled a "Pit Bull" on their information sheet. It was just easier for the over-worked employees to label every mixed breed dog a pit bull.

I said that David's response was ignorant because it's obvious that he doesn't have any experience at all with "Pit Bulls". Educated yourself before you make such a blanket statement. I have owned my dog for almost three years and I also volunteer on weekends at a shelter dedicated to finding homes for pit bulls. I would include myself in the "ignorant" category too before my experience with these wonderful dogs. But I have learned so much about these dogs.

So according to Dave, he would want me and Ben to euthanize our pets because "they should all be euthanized"......how ignorant.
Old 02-17-2015, 08:43 AM

Wow these pitbull posts blow my mind. Are either of you guys aware that pitbulls make up the majority of dogs available for adoption at shelters? So it could be that this person rescued the pitbull and adopted a dog someone had thrown away or abused. If saving a poor dog's life means you have "less than a full deck of cards" then so be it. Have you ever owned or known a pitbull? What was your experience? I have many friends who have adopted pits and they're all sweethearts, a direct reflection of their owners.

Also any dog is dangerous in theory. Your POV that pitbulls are some ubiquitous bad guy dog is misguided. Those collies bit someone too, remember?

Last edited by packs; 02-17-2015 at 09:02 AM.
Old 02-17-2015, 09:11 AM
D@v!d R. Fuhrm@n

Location: Denmark (don't worry, I have a USA mailing address!)

I do not know the accuracy of the statistics quoted by David above. But even the pro pit bull articles I have read will generally acknowledge a disproportionate attack rate for these breeds. While this is usually CORRELATED to poor ownership, it is enough information for me personally to choose not to own one.

For the record, I do not place myself in the "euthanize all pit bulls" camp, and am sure most, including yours pictured above, are very nice. But the specific case being discussed here involves a clearly dangerous group of dogs, the most aggressive described as being the pit bull. Why argue that this neither reflects on the dog nor the specific owner who has seemingly raised it?
T206 back run: 21/38

Last edited by BicycleSpokes; 02-17-2015 at 09:18 AM.
Old 02-17-2015, 09:56 AM
Dave

Quote:

My pit-mix came from a high-kill shelter in Georgia where every dog in that shelter was labeled a "Pit Bull" on their information sheet. It was just easier for the over-worked employees to label every mixed breed dog a pit bull.

I said that David's response was ignorant because it's obvious that he doesn't have any experience at all with "Pit Bulls". Educated yourself before you make such a blanket statement. I have owned my dog for almost three years and I also volunteer on weekends at a shelter dedicated to finding homes for pit bulls. I would include myself in the "ignorant" category too before my experience with these wonderful dogs. But I have learned so much about these dogs.

So according to Dave, he would want me and Ben to euthanize our pets because "they should all be euthanized"......how ignorant.

Same story here. My wife and I volunteer at a no kill shelter, and a majority of the dogs they pick up are pit mixes of some sort, because those are the ones that get abandoned the most. We also foster dogs to help them find homes, since some get more stressed in a shelter environment then others.

We have 4 in our house right now. 2 ours and 2 from the shelter. Pitties being a very broad stroke breed, they are all different from each other, in both appearance and temperament.

Some pits can be a challenge to work with and other are an absolute breeze. They can be as vastly different from one another as people.

I'd like to think we're not nutcases, but that's for other people to figure out on their own.
Old 02-17-2015, 09:56 AM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorth View Post
Phil was wrong this post is much stupider than the one he quoted because this one also has some made up statistics.
Well, Einstein, enilghten us then. What are the REAL statistics?

Quote:
David took some statistics that he Googled to try and make his point.
Are you disputing the accuracy of the statistics?
Old 02-17-2015, 09:59 AM
P.hil €lli$

Quote:
Well, Einstein, enilghten us then. What are the REAL statistics?

Are you disputing the accuracy of the statistics?
Did you read what I stated? Yes, I am disputing the accuracy of your stats. I stated that law enforcement and the media have inaccurately labeled dogs involved in attacks as "pit bulls", so your numbers are off. Did law enforcement or the media do a proper DNA test on these dogs? No they didn't.

Last edited by pgellis; 02-17-2015 at 10:11 AM.
Old 02-16-2015, 08:36 PM
Jim H

I had my wife take pictures of me in the parking lot of the Urgent Care. Also, I saved the torn, blood stain clothes. Plus the clothes are covered with pit bull hair. This morning Animal Control called me. They said they are going to put the animals in quarantine for 10 days. If they have rabies they will put them down. If they don't they will return to the owner. Either way, they will let me know.

Today, I took my first shower and counted the bites. It totals 26, the med tech must have missed a couple. Yes, I'm afraid of scarring.

The way I was brought up suing was never in the discussion. So, I don't know if I want to go that route but again I don't want scars. Even though my wife says "Chicks dig scars".

I would like to money back for the clothes but I don't want to go to the owners house.
Old 02-16-2015, 08:57 PM
D@niel.P@trick.Johnson

I believe that dog bites may be covered by homeowner's insurance. (The dog's owner, not yours.) Thus, if you don't feel comfortable talking with the guy about it, you may be able to file a claim with your insurance agent and let them try and collect from the guy. He's obviously going to know you've filed a complaint when they come and get his dogs, so he may want to talk with you about the situation anyway. Good luck brother...