NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 02-12-2007, 11:07 AM
Administrator

Default Frequency of T3 Turkey Red Backs

Posted By: Patrick McMenemy

I'm curious as to just how rare certain T3 Turkey Red backs really are compared to other backs.

I have a very small sampling of 6 cards.

Here are my backs:

Series 1, No. 21 Red Kleinow,(1-76 back) (NO ADDRESS)

Series 1, No. 50 Chief Meyers, (1-76 back) (NO ADDRESS)

Series 2, No. 120 Gabby Street, (51-126 back)

Series 2, George Gibson, Johnny Kling, and Ira Thomas, (Turkey Red Ad back)

Per Lew Lipset, the "no address" back is quite rare.

Since 2 out of my 6 have this back, I'm curious if it really is a rare back or not.

Any feedback is appreciated.

Thanks,

Patrick

Old 02-12-2007, 11:44 AM
Administrator

Posted By: barrysloate

It is certainly less common than the checklist back, but it is not rare. It does command a bit of a premium, however.

Old 02-12-2007, 01:21 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Mark

Turkey Red backs are not that rare in general. However, with certain fronts, they are very difficult to find. NO AD backs, on the other hand, I believe ARE rare. I've spent the last year and a half putting together a set, and have looked at hundreds of Turkey Reds. I've seen lots and lots of Turkey Red backs, but only a few no ad backs available.

Old 02-12-2007, 01:37 PM
Administrator

Mark- when you say NO AD backs I assume you mean the ones without the address on the bottom.

I think Turkey Red ad backs may be overrated a little bit in terms of scarcity, but they are desirable because they are so attractive, and because type collectors need one example.

So Mark, if a Turkey Red back is not commonly seen with a particular front, that will bring a huge premium? Has anyone ever made a checklist of the most difficult front/back combinations?

Old 02-12-2007, 01:52 PM
Administrator

Barry,

I'm not an expert on this. Whenever I have a Turkey Red question, I go to Craig or Keith. They know a lot more than I do.

However, I do know that certain cards in the second series are almost always found with one back or the other. FOr example, Eddie Collins, Walter Johnson and Harry Lord are almost always found with the Turkey Red back. It is unusual to find any of them with a checklist back. On the other hand, Chief Bender, Ed Lennox and Admiral Schlei are almost always found with a checklist back, and almost never a Turkey red back. You can verify this, to some degree, I am told, by checking the PSA population reports. When I first heard this info, I started watching as these cards came up in auctions. It almost always holds up.

No, these cards do not bring any great premium, for two reasons. First, most people don't know about it, and secondly, it probably wouldn't matter much to most people, unless you are working on a master set. You may not be able to get Lennox with a checkist back, but most people wouldn't care, because they can get that back easily with a different front.

But Patrick didn't ask about value - he asked about rarity. Depending how strictly you use the word "rare", I beiieve NO ADDRESS backs are, to some degree, rare.

Mark

Old 02-12-2007, 02:15 PM
Administrator

I have a Johnson with a checklist back. So that one is tougher, but as you say commands no real premium?

Old 02-12-2007, 02:25 PM
Administrator

To most people, no premium at all. In fact, most think the Turkey Red ad back should bring a premium, and might pay more for it, even though it is much more common.

Old 02-12-2007, 02:37 PM
Administrator

Sounds like an area of the market where a good article and checklist is needed!

Old 02-12-2007, 08:05 PM
Administrator

I would like to read that article myself. Maybe a survey is in order. Do you suppose there are enough T3 collectors on the forum to make it worthwhile?

Old 02-13-2007, 04:10 AM
Administrator

Ted Z., among others, has gathered an incredible amount of information regarding the T206 backs, all from board participants. I bet if you started a survey, you would get plenty of input.

Old 03-01-2007, 10:45 AM
Administrator

Posted By: ockday

Series 1 with address 27 different

Series 1 no address #44 Trying to catch him napping

Series 2 Checklist back..27 different
Series 2 Turkey Red back...13 different

So for me I it's 1 out of 28 1st series with no address.

While we're at it..

I have 12 1st series cards that list card # 76 Jack Johnson
and 15 1st series cards that stop listing at #75 O'brien

Alan