NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 11-04-2018, 11:06 AM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Default SGC new holders, Heritage

Looking through the most recent Heritage catalog I was struck by home many hundreds of cards are all of a sudden in new SGC holders. Funny how a major auction house can seemingly get 1000 or more cars graded so quickly, while shlubs like me seeming wait for ever or have to pay silly premiums for rush service for a few cards. I guess there are customers and then there are Customers.

I am probably in the minority as I actually like how they look.

Last edited by Snapolit1; 11-04-2018 at 11:07 AM.
Old 11-04-2018, 11:15 AM
Peter Spaeth

All customers are equal. Some are more equal than others.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 11-04-2018, 11:24 AM
Luke Lyon

Is this really that fast though? I saw some of the new holders at the National, and I got my first submission of the new labels back about 3 weeks ago.
Old 11-04-2018, 11:30 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke View Post
Is this really that fast though? I saw some of the new holders at the National, and I got my first submission of the new labels back about 3 weeks ago.
your facts are not welcome here

Last edited by RedsFan1941; 11-04-2018 at 11:31 AM.
Old 11-04-2018, 11:40 AM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Quote:
There were showing them at the National but I thought they hadnt been officially rolled out yet.

And presumably a catalog like there has to be at the printer months before it goes out to anyone. A tremendous amount of work I am sure.
Old 11-04-2018, 12:01 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapolit1 View Post
And presumably a catalog like there has to be at the printer months before it goes out to anyone.
weeks, not months
Old 11-04-2018, 02:05 PM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

Quote:
There were showing them at the National but I thought they hadnt been officially rolled out yet.

And presumably a catalog like there has to be at the printer months before it goes out to anyone. A tremendous amount of work I am sure.
You need to check your facts before you start typing. Heritage has their own in house printing operation so they get catalogs made more quickly than others.
Old 11-04-2018, 02:47 PM
And.rew Fin.kel.man

Quote:

I submitted cards to SGC at the National and received them back slabbed with the new label before the end of the show.

Last edited by Andrew1975; 11-04-2018 at 02:51 PM.
Old 11-04-2018, 03:30 PM
Chase

Quote:
Looking through the most recent Heritage catalog I was struck by home many hundreds of cards are all of a sudden in new SGC holders. Funny how a major auction house can seemingly get 1000 or more cars graded so quickly, while shlubs like me seeming wait for ever or have to pay silly premiums for rush service for a few cards. I guess there are customers and then there are Customers.

I am probably in the minority as I actually like how they look.
I feel your pain but we have no idea when HA submitted all of those cards to SGC. Also HA does a great deal of business with them. I think they are entitled to being taken care of for deadline purposes as long as the little guys, like us, are not having our orders pushed back.

PSA does the same thing. They give expedited service to big submitters as well as huge price breaks. Min price per card for the avg submitter is now $8 or $10 making it no longer not effective to submit commons however the higher volume guys are paying as low as $3 or $4 per card.
Old 11-05-2018, 07:04 AM

Quote:
+1

I submitted to SGC right after National. The whole turnaround was less than 10 days and that included shipping back and forth.
Old 11-05-2018, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedsFan1941 View Post
weeks, not months

Not even weeks. Trust me.
Old 11-05-2018, 07:48 AM
Robert Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorewalker View Post
I feel your pain but we have no idea when HA submitted all of those cards to SGC. Also HA does a great deal of business with them. I think they are entitled to being taken care of for deadline purposes as long as the little guys, like us, are not having our orders pushed back.

PSA does the same thing. They give expedited service to big submitters as well as huge price breaks. Min price per card for the avg submitter is now $8 or $10 making it no longer not effective to submit commons however the higher volume guys are paying as low as $3 or $4 per card.
I don't know what defines a "big sumbitted"...we have a $3,000+ group sub and weren't given any special treatment.
Old 11-05-2018, 07:54 AM
T0dd M@rcum

Quote:
Looking through the most recent Heritage catalog I was struck by home many hundreds of cards are all of a sudden in new SGC holders. Funny how a major auction house can seemingly get 1000 or more cars graded so quickly, while shlubs like me seeming wait for ever or have to pay silly premiums for rush service for a few cards.
I hate to be the one to tell you, but grading is now and forever has been a rigged game.
Old 11-05-2018, 08:12 AM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Location: https://www.psacard.com/psasetregistry/mysetregistry/set/348387

if SGC said that due to new higher standards they would not just take the old grades and give rubber stamp the new holders with the same grade andthta they would have to 're-earn' the grade, i think that would send a good message as far as re-sale..

maybe they are doing that, correct me if i am wrong but assumed they do what PSA does..
Old 11-05-2018, 08:24 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orioles1954 View Post
Not even weeks. Trust me.
all catalogs are not created equal
Old 11-05-2018, 12:08 PM
Chase

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyw8469 View Post
I don't know what defines a "big sumbitted"...we have a $3,000+ group sub and weren't given any special treatment.
That is pocket change in the world of grading. I was referencing dealers who consistently send in very large submissions month after month. A one time 3K submission is not gonna get any eyes on you. Maybe if you did that 2 times a month consistently you could cut yourself a deal.
Old 11-09-2018, 11:13 PM
Larry

Frankly, I'm surprised that there is such an apparent demand for the new holders. Maybe it's just me, but I think they are butt-ugly! I haven't handled any, but hopefully they are sturdier than the older ones.

To each his own (makes for a broader market),

Larry

Last edited by ls7plus; 11-09-2018 at 11:13 PM.
Old 11-10-2018, 04:38 AM

Default SGC New Holders

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldjudge View Post
You need to check your facts before you start typing. Heritage has their own in house printing operation so they get catalogs made more quickly than others.
Even if Heritage didn’t have their own in-house printing, at most, a catalog needs no more than one month lead time for printing. Having worked for two major auction houses in the past decade, this is not an estimate but a fact.
Old 11-10-2018, 05:04 AM
Bruce Fairchild

I submitted a small number of cards to SGC a couple of months ago and was surprised to receive them in about 5 weeks. Not even close to my wait with PSA.
I'm another that likes the SGC flip.
Old 11-10-2018, 05:40 AM
“the bambino”

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorewalker View Post
$3-$4 would be very nice. I called PSA a couple of years ago to inquire about a possible discount for my 587-card 1961 Topps set. Was told PSA doesn't discount, so I didn't submit. I wasn't about to pay $5k for grading a $5k set. Can anyone actually confirm they've received a discount from PSA, or is this speculation?