NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 04-08-2017, 06:32 AM
Stephen
Stephen Abb.ondandolo

Default Questions for dealers

So I have accumulated approx 3000 commons from 54-72 majority being 60's. Some hi numbers etc. some minors. Anyways as a dealer there's probably 4-5k resale in it individually if you did shows. If I were to go to a show would a dealer be willing to trade do you think? If I wanted 3k in trade for one card would a dealer be inclined to do it if there was more than 3k retail in my commons in order to bulk up their inventory and turn a profit? Thought are appreciated and welcomed.
Old 04-08-2017, 06:47 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Generally as a dealer there needs to be more margin than what you are talking about. Maybe $4k-5k in commons might net you around half that in trade. Just my thought on where I might be. Of course the cards still have to be decent and so forth...
Old 04-08-2017, 07:01 AM
Ben North

I agree with Leon on this. With a dealer you would be very lucky to get 50%. I have made a few trades like this and the person with 1 card always gets a premium compared to the guy with a stack of cards. When trading with a dealer you have to consider all the extra time it will take them to unload the lot compared to the single card.

As an example I traded a rare Joe Dimaggio for almost a complete run of Willie Mays cards and received about a 20% premuim for the single card.
Old 04-08-2017, 07:19 AM
Stephen
Stephen Abb.ondandolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
Generally as a dealer there needs to be more margin than what you are talking about. Maybe $4k-5k in commons might net you around half that in trade. Just my thought on where I might be. Of course the cards still have to be decent and so forth...
Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorth View Post
I agree with Leon on this. With a dealer you would be very lucky to get 50%. I have made a few trades like this and the person with 1 card always gets a premium compared to the guy with a stack of cards. When trading with a dealer you have to consider all the extra time it will take them to unload the lot compared to the single card.

As an example I traded a rare Joe Dimaggio for almost a complete run of Willie Mays cards and received about a 20% premuim for the single card.

Guys,

Recount... I have about 8300 commons haha. Majority late 60's early 70's.

All in pages and binders.

over 1000 1969 cards in great shape
over 600 1960 topps cards
over 600 1966 topps cards
and a mix of 300-600 of each other year

So about 300 61's 300 62's etc.

I'd want 4K-5K in trade. You think that is unreasonable? Figure theres gotta be at least 12K resale when broken up.

Last edited by EYECOLLECTVINTAGE; 04-08-2017 at 07:23 AM.
Old 04-08-2017, 07:30 AM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by EYECOLLECTVINTAGE View Post
Guys,

Recount... I have about 8300 commons haha. Majority late 60's early 70's.

All in pages and binders.

over 1000 1969 cards in great shape
over 600 1960 topps cards
over 600 1966 topps cards
and a mix of 300-600 of each other year

So about 300 61's 300 62's etc.

I'd want 4K-5K in trade. You think that is unreasonable? Figure theres gotta be at least 12K resale when broken up.
Unless they are in real NrMt condition I would say you would be lucky to get 10% in trade. That many low end commons could take years to unload.
Old 04-08-2017, 07:41 AM
Br.ent So.bie

I agree with the 10% ratio.
And to be honest, even at that rate I think most dealers would decline.
The space needed, time and work involved, and once the best of the best was gone... there would be a lot of valueless "residue" left over that would never sell.
Old 04-08-2017, 07:58 AM
T0dd M@rcum

I no longer deal, but I once did extensively. There are times you just look at a deal and say, " That won't work." Even at 10% of your estimated value if I am a dealer and I have $1000 worth of high end (let's say a Cobb Red background, but if you are trying to boil it down to one or two cards, it's going to be high end and sellable cards or else considerably overpriced) inventory versus a monster box of commons, the fact that you can sell one card versus having to lug around the monster box for years, you'll keep the single card. There is a chance that you might find a dealer who has an expensive but slow selling card he has had in inventory forever that he sees as if he sees as inventory he is going to be buried with that he might trade. You would probably be best off to move them as lots on eBay or BST. Even then it's not going to be easy to get to 40% or book value, IMO. The exception is if you peel out the high numbers. The 1961s and 1966s if in any condition at all will do well. Sadly there's not that much demand for the 1969s, which I think is a fun set. Please note, I am often wrong, but I think you are in a position to either do the work yourself or settle for literally pennies on the dollar.
Old 04-09-2017, 07:22 AM
J@ohn B.ar#ne.s

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorth View Post
Unless they are in real NrMt condition I would say you would be lucky to get 10% in trade. That many low end commons could take years to unload.
++ Your NrMt will probably be a dealers Ex. Other way around when your buying. Condition governs here. If they really are Nrmt-Mt (PSA 7/8's), then you hold the leverage and can drive the price because any dealer with half a brain can unload raw vintage high-end cards in a minute for a big profit.

If they show wear, then, IMO, you will have to take what you get.

get a few graded or post a few on here of the general condition. You'll get some better assessments.
Old 04-08-2017, 06:54 AM
James
James Kin.chen

I doubt that a dealer would offer you $1000 in trade. There would be a lot of work involved in selling the commons that you have. It would probably take the dealer years to recoup his investment. 3000 commons will take up a lot more space on his table than the single cards that you would take in trade.
James
Old 04-08-2017, 12:19 PM
T0dd M@rcum

If you don't sell them I'll be glad to send you my lists