NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 07-08-2007, 12:16 PM
Administrator

Default Set Cross-Over - Psa to Sgc - Opinions Needed.....

Posted By: Tony Andrea

Hello all -
Ive been reading and following the recent post ("Is the Grading System Broken") pretty close and would like your opinions on something. I currently am only two cards short of completing the E90-1 American Caramel set, (missing only the M. Mitchell & J. Jackson). Roughly 90 cards in my set reside in Sgc holders, while the other 30 reside in Psa holders. There are some key cards from the set that sit in the Psa holders I have and the set averages in condition around vg/ex (4) as a whole.
My question to you guys is this. Would it benefit me to crossover the remaining cards over to Sgc so the set is authenticated completly by Sgc, or would you just leave them the way they are.
I will be selling the set someday and I'm not into the registry thing, so the decision would be solely for value purposes on the set when I did decide to let it go. I do prefer Sgc to Psa, but the cards don't bother me in the Psa holders they're in, and I do think one takes a chance when they start cracking key cards out of already slabbed holders. Your opinions on what you would do would be greatly appreciated. Thanks,

Tony Andrea

Old 07-08-2007, 12:23 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Gilbert Maines

Do nothing. Evaluate the climate again when it is time to sell.

Old 07-08-2007, 12:24 PM
Administrator

Posted By: quan

as of right now i don't think it'll hurt the value of your set at all when you go to sell. there's alot of gloom and doom from some vocal sgc supporters on here re: psa but if you're comfortable with your cards i wouldn't worry about it.

now if the sgc supporters would put a collection together of $500 or so to cross the 30 cards over you should consider it.

Old 07-08-2007, 12:28 PM
Administrator

Posted By: BcD

done this several times with similar concerns. here is a few thoughts

1) the heavy hitters want SGC held cards now. various reasons but here is a few~

they look better
they are better quality
the grades are more consistant
they amplify the vintage look of the cards

A while back I looked at a bunch of cards "Wonkaticket" has that I also have but mine are in PSA holders. His look better,colors look better and overall eye appeal is much better given the same grades. It convinced me I would rather buy an SGC set complete and consistant any day! I think long term its a toss up because there are far more PSA registry collectors (I think it's because the site is easier to navigate and just plain looks nicer)on th e other hand given the reputation of the present SGC crew they will prevail on true vintage cards as your set is and command more money complete on the open market. Now you have also to deal with the possibility of not acquiring the same grades per each card!I flip flopped E-94 sets and lost grades on some and added on a few others.This is a tough issue to weigh out but you know how to grade by now so you should be able to tell what will happen.In any case,do not CROSS attempt.Send the cards in raw and take your chances whichever way you go.You'll do better that way.

BcD

Old 07-08-2007, 12:34 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Wesley

The vocal SGC supporters here are really giving you a skewed picture as far as the cards in PSA and SGC holders. Certainly on this forum, including myself, collectors prefer SGC, but that is largely not the case overall in the hobby. Also, who knows what perceptions might be down the road. I like Gilbert's suggestion to not cross over to one service or another until it is time to sell.

Old 07-08-2007, 12:40 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jeff Lichtman

Tony, leave them as is. SGC and PSA do similarly well on resale for prewar cards. Now if you had GAI cards - different story.

Old 07-08-2007, 12:51 PM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

But I would leave them. I don't think the resale value would be swayed one way or the other. I think even if they were correctly graded in GAI holders they would be ok. I just got some cards in a lot that had SGC, PSA, and GAI...and all were very close to what I would expect. GAI used to be loose on the grading of backs but I think they have tightened up a bit. If I were buying them I would look at the cards more than the holders...but I might be in the minority overall.... Good luck on whichever way you go.

Old 07-08-2007, 01:28 PM
Administrator

Posted By: FYS

As a biased SGC supporter, I completely agree with Gil. I would not do a thing until you are actually ready to sell.

Old 07-08-2007, 02:25 PM
Administrator

Posted By: JimB

I would probably cross it over just for the aesthetics of having the whole set in similar holders. I don't the value of the set would change much either way if it was in all PSA 4s or all SGC 50's if a set like that were sold as a complete set. For that matter, if you left it, it probably would not affect it either, though some people, like me, perfer uniformity in slabs for a set.
JimB

Old 07-08-2007, 02:41 PM
Administrator

Posted By: boxingcardman

From a protection standpoint, there's nothing wrong either way. If you sell via an auction house, let them submit the smaller group to the grader, on their dime. If not, you can elect to spend the $$ and cross the cards later on.

Old 07-08-2007, 06:24 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Tony Andrea

Thanks to everyone who gave their two cents. Looks like the majority
lean towards leaving them for now in the Psa holder.
Although I'm still split on my decision, its been helpful to hear what
other's like yourselves would do. Thanks again.

Tony

Old 07-08-2007, 07:02 PM
Administrator

Posted By: boxingcardman

Personally, I have cards from about 6 sets that will be crossed from PSA to SGC holders shortly. I literally have from 1-5 cards in PSA from those sets that will complete or nearly complete SGC sets when crossed over. I am doing it only for personal aesthetic reasons because w/the T cards I collect the SGC holders look so much better than the bagged PSA floaters.

Old 07-08-2007, 07:04 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Scott Elkins

He will take whatever he can steal - we all know that. Afterall, the card he stole from me was in a PSA holder!