NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 02-01-2014, 02:08 PM
J0n@th@n P@rker

Default Old Comiskey Park Foul Line

I have had this in my collection for several years now, but looking for any info about it. What I do know is 10 1ft sections of the foul line were auction off at the Comiskey Park auction in 1991. This one was lot #318 in that auction as I have the original post-it note used to catalog it during the event. Have tried to do research on where on the field these came from(thinking most likely OF), have any come to auction or what was the original price it sold for in 1991. It is one of those pieces in my collection I wish I knew more info on. I do believe I am the 2nd owner of it. Any info is really appreciated. Thanks.

image.jpg
Old 02-01-2014, 02:09 PM
J0n@th@n P@rker

Another angle.

image.jpg

Last edited by parker1b2; 02-01-2014 at 02:32 PM.
Old 02-01-2014, 03:47 PM
Paul Gruszka aka P Diddy, Cambo, Fluke, Jagr, PG13, Bon Jokey, Paulie Walnuts
Pa.ul Grus.zka

Default Question

Was this on the ground, I always thought they just chalked the lines....or was it part of the outfield wall going up or foul pole?

Sorry if I sound dumb....I am.
Old 02-01-2014, 03:54 PM
And.rew Whi.te

I believe I remember looking at the foul line many times at Comiskey and realizing it wasn't just a chalk line but an embedded "line" of some type set into the ground. I do remember the grounds crew taking a pain bucket and a rather large brush and going up and down the line painting the foul line. I always wondered what that foul line was made of and I guess I now know!!

Edited to add the foul line I am speaking of was only in the outfield....the infield was still chalked as it has been for years. The outfield had a permanent foul line which is what I think the OP is showing here.

Last edited by whitehse; 02-01-2014 at 04:00 PM. Reason: extra info
Old 02-01-2014, 04:08 PM
J0n@th@n P@rker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoeless Moe View Post
Was this on the ground, I always thought they just chalked the lines....or was it part of the outfield wall going up or foul pole?

Sorry if I sound dumb....I am.
I always thought they just chalked the lines also, until this piece was made available to me. That one of the reasons I am looking for more info on it. Whenever I show someone my collection they always say I thought foul lines were just chalked. Curious if this was just something they did at Comiskey or did other parks do it as well.

Last edited by parker1b2; 02-01-2014 at 07:46 PM.
Old 02-01-2014, 04:13 PM
J0n@th@n P@rker

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitehse View Post
I believe I remember looking at the foul line many times at Comiskey and realizing it wasn't just a chalk line but an embedded "line" of some type set into the ground. I do remember the grounds crew taking a pain bucket and a rather large brush and going up and down the line painting the foul line. I always wondered what that foul line was made of and I guess I now know!!

Edited to add the foul line I am speaking of was only in the outfield....the infield was still chalked as it has been for years. The outfield had a permanent foul line which is what I think the OP is showing here.
Thanks for the info. I figured it would be the OF. There is caked on white paint ontop. Sides and bottom were definitely buried in dirt for sometime ( ends are not dirty from where it looks like it was cut from a larger piece for the auction). . Wonder if it is something they replaced every season or how often they would have replaced it.

Last edited by parker1b2; 02-01-2014 at 04:17 PM.
Old 02-01-2014, 04:15 PM
Belltown Vintage

Now you've got me curious about some photos I have somewhere - I went to one of the first games at the new Comiskey and you could see the old Comiskey next door, partially torn-down, so I took a bunch of photos from the stands at the new park. I'm thinking the view was primarily of the left-field line and the outfield. I'll see if I can dig them up.
Old 02-01-2014, 07:44 PM
Paul Gruszka aka P Diddy, Cambo, Fluke, Jagr, PG13, Bon Jokey, Paulie Walnuts
Pa.ul Grus.zka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runscott View Post
Now you've got me curious about some photos I have somewhere - I went to one of the first games at the new Comiskey and you could see the old Comiskey next door, partially torn-down, so I took a bunch of photos from the stands at the new park. I'm thinking the view was primarily of the left-field line and the outfield. I'll see if I can dig them up.
I went to one of the last games, I believe Bobby Thigpen set a save record and I was kicking in a seat in the upper deck right field bleachers (punk kid I was), and left with a seat back under my shirt, when the crowd was singing "Nah nah nah nah nah nah nah, hey hey goodbye".

(good indicator your gonna be a memorabilia addict)

Last edited by Shoeless Moe; 02-01-2014 at 07:58 PM.
Old 02-02-2014, 10:41 AM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoeless Moe View Post
I went to one of the last games, I believe Bobby Thigpen set a save record and I was kicking in a seat in the upper deck right field bleachers (punk kid I was), and left with a seat back under my shirt, when the crowd was singing "Nah nah nah nah nah nah nah, hey hey goodbye".

(good indicator your gonna be a memorabilia addict)
I only went to one game there, but I felt like I had stepped back in time - hot dog stands hidden in strange nooks and crannies, that huge area under the stands. Everything looked like it was ready to fall down, so you probably just helped them out. Harold Baines' number was retired when I was there, so they showed pictures of past White Sox greats on the big screen. Memorable, but hot and sweaty experience.
Old 02-09-2014, 10:30 PM
Jeff

I was at that auction in 1991 and picked up a couple original signs from Comiskey Park. There was a catalog that was given out at the auction which I will try to find that should give a description of that item. I do not have any prices realized, however.
Old 02-10-2014, 07:21 AM
Mike Steiner

If I remember correctly, the foul lanes were old fire hoses.

If you google it, you'll find stories about it.

https://whitesoxshorts.com/
Old 02-10-2014, 08:41 AM
Alex

Quote:
Originally Posted by karamaxjoe View Post
If I remember correctly, the foul lanes were old fire hoses.

If you google it, you'll find stories about it.

It does look like an old fire hose now that you mention it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SLers = 33/48
Horizontals = 6/6

ALWAYS looking for T206 with back damage.
Old 02-10-2014, 04:49 PM
J0n@th@n P@rker

Thanks for the info.. I did a search and found that the foul lines indeed were made of flatten water hoses (thanks Mike!!) Here is a closer pic of the end showing the rubber. Again appreciate everyone's help.

image.jpg

Last edited by parker1b2; 02-10-2014 at 04:54 PM.