NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

View Poll Results: Should Anonymity be allowed on this board?
Yes 39 22.41%
No 99 56.90%
Yes, but names should be shown in full, elsewhere in contacts, but not required in threads 36 20.69%
Voters: 174. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-28-2009, 08:28 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default Should Anonymity be allowed on the board?

Jerry brought up a few good points in his last post, in the other thread, pertaining to anonymity on the board. Personally, I sort of wish there wasn't any, and could "make" it that way, but I always like to solicit opinions. There has never been a real persuasive argument to mandate "not" allowing public anonymity. Also, with the registration process the way it is, and me requiring blood according to one member (which I thought was an idiotic statement, but whatever) it is much safer than the old board. All of that being said I would like to get current views. I am not saying it will change, and I still think the current rules are good, but it rarely hurts to solicit opinions. Thanks in advance for your professional responses and thoughts....best regards

Last edited by Leon; 05-28-2009 at 08:59 AM. Reason: typo
Old 05-28-2009, 08:34 AM
Bradley Holt

Seems this thread should have a poll and let the numbers speak for themselves!
Old 05-28-2009, 08:49 AM

Would I have to go on the record with my response to this question?
JimB
Old 05-28-2009, 08:52 AM
Rawn Hill

I don't think a name needs to be attached to each post as long as the post is not confrontational and Leon has the information on file. Some of the bantering back and forth is quite amusing on a grade school level.

Rawn
Old 05-28-2009, 08:56 AM
Jim R

No-Look at Bond73-you can still fly under the radar. I don't see any reason not to put your name with your post.

JR cfc1909
Old 05-28-2009, 08:58 AM
Banned

Too ... weak ... to ... type ... waiting ... on ... transfusion ... of ... O-positive ... so light-headed ...
Old 05-28-2009, 09:00 AM
Matt Wieder

I'm assuming the argument for allowing anonymity is that there are those who contribute to the forum who would not do so if they were required to expose their name for all to see. While I certainly would appreciate it if everyone at least exposed their first name, I'm OK with allowing anonymous posts for the additional content it brings to the forum. I can think of several good threads that may never have taken place if real names were required to be exposed (e.g. Skydash).
Old 05-28-2009, 08:57 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default JimB

Recently I found that I can in fact see the votes behind the scenes. I was unaware of that feature before. The voters won't be made public in this poll. Maybe we should have a poll to see if the poll should be anonymous?

My personal feeling has always been that we shouldn't allow anonymity but the rules allow for it in non-controversial or non-opinionated threads/posts. If we DON'T allow any anonymity some folks might not post, which would be a shame. As already mentioned I do have everyone's contact info as part of the registration process. We have already seen that be a big help on a few occasions (Bond73). And I am not naive enough to think that process is foolproof either...but it's a heck of a lot better than before AND if I find any foul play I can boot the person registering.....regards
Old 05-28-2009, 09:11 AM
Jerry
Jer.ry Fic.chi

Like I noted in the other thread, I have not disclosed my last name on this forum (Leon has it, though) for the sole purpose of separating my hobby and my profession when my name is searched on the web. Though not a household name, it is well respected in my industry and I want it to remain that way. I'm not saying that the association with baseball memorabilia would taint my name, but it is my choice to keep them separate from each other if at all possible. Though I love my hobby, my livelihood takes precedence. If full name disclosure becomes mandatory, I will revert to permanent lurker.

Jerry
Old 05-28-2009, 09:14 AM
Barry Sloate

I voted an unequivocal "no." I realize there are others who prefer anonymity but I see no reason for it. We're not working on the Manhattan Project here, it's just baseball cards, and I find it frustrating that most of the time I have no idea who I am communicating with.
Old 05-28-2009, 09:18 AM

Jerry,

How would you feel about the third option in the poll? This would allow fellow collectors to know who you are, while simultaneously avoiding having your name come up in association with the message board in internet search engines. I was a solid "NO" until I read your post in the other thread. It was because of you that I suggested the third option to Leon. As Barry said, we're not splitting the atom here!

Last edited by BillyCoxDodgers3B; 05-28-2009 at 09:19 AM.
Old 05-28-2009, 09:41 AM
Dan Studebaker

I agree with Jerry and take it one step further. Though I do not keep my identity a secret from members of this board, I do not want business associates, clients, or employers to know about my association with this board and hobby unless I tell them.

There are cases on this forum where arguments/attacks/bantering can look very bad to an outsider. There are also cases where outright falsehoods are stated about people which could adversely affects a person's professional and/or personal relationships.
Old 05-28-2009, 09:59 AM
Barry Sloate

The one defense I accept for anonymity is that if one Googles his name, posts from this board will show up. I think there are easy ways to prevent it.

If I am not mistaken, if I added a period or two and identified myself as "Bar.ry Slo.ate" wouldn't that keep my name out of standard searches?

As far as arguments such as Mr. Mitt made that posting on this board would adversely affect his business, you lost me. Why? Post intelligently (not saying you don't) and it may even enhance your image. People will see that you are knowledgeable, and that can only help. I actually made the decision that by offering information I was actually enhancing my business, not taking away.
Old 05-28-2009, 09:59 AM
Doug C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrysloate View Post
I find it frustrating that most of the time I have no idea who I am communicating with.
I voted no also. I think people should be required to put their real name under their user ID so you at least have an idea who you are talking with.
Old 05-28-2009, 10:47 AM
Jerry
Jer.ry Fic.chi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug View Post
I voted no also. I think people should be required to put their real name under their user ID so you at least have an idea who you are talking with.
I respectfully disagree with both Barry and Doug. How would my last name attached to a post add anything pertinent to a thread? For the sake of a forum such as this, they're simply letters on a heading above written thoughts and opinions. If I were to write Jerry Jones or Jerry Smith or Jerry Simpson, would that give you an idea of who you're talking with? No, it wouldn't. As a matter of fact, surnames don't tell you anything about a person that is pertinent to this hobby. A well thought out username, however, can. I chose Mr. Mitt. That tells you much more about my collecting interests than my last name ever would.

I do, however, understand the need to know who posts here so another Bonds73 fiasco doesn't take place. I believe Leon has taken the appropriate steps and precautions to limit and quickly rectify a situation such as this if it were to ever arise again. I have no problem providing any information required to the forum owner, as long as it is held in confidence and only used if my actions are illegal or belligerent toward another.

Jerry
Old 05-28-2009, 10:55 AM
Doug C.

I'm not so much worried about full names as much as just having a first name. On the board as well as the chat room, I think it would be nicer to be able to have a name to go by instead of having to refer to people by their user id.

Last edited by Doug; 05-28-2009 at 10:56 AM.
Old 05-28-2009, 09:16 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default Jerry

To me you make a very persuasive argument to keep things the way they are.....but I do like to solicit feebback for a few different reasons. It's sort of like.....

Ok, we have a rule, and can I be persuaded to change it? Would you consider giving a pint of blood?
Old 05-28-2009, 09:28 PM

First off, as noted in an earlier e-mail Leon, that "blood comment" was an inside joke from a prior conversation which you forgot. I am forgettable I guess. The poll has a strong showing for "NO", which is fine, I voted another way. I can understand a change if there were reckless newbies or a ton of gnomes controlling the joint, but while I still prefer the other board (I do not miss the Bruces), I'm kind of warming to this new environment. Keep up the good work.

DanC
Old 05-28-2009, 12:16 PM
Paul

Default Anonymity

I have never understood what value a name has versus a handle. I only go by T206Collector on here. Many of you know my first name, which is alright, I guess, but who cares -- and why does it matter to anyone? As long as the user relies on a consistent name, there is no confusion as to "identity".

If I told you my name was Fish or Fred, what is the value in either? This is an internet chatboard.

www.instagram.com/signedT206/
@SignedT206
Old 05-28-2009, 01:22 PM
Dan Bretta

I voted "NO", but I can see the merits of being anonymous....however one should not be anonymous when wishing another poster dead, so they can then suffer the embarrassment of having said death wish appear in the New York Daily News Blog.

Cue the death threat to my inbox in t-minus.......

Old 05-28-2009, 01:30 PM

Dan,

This is one of my concerns. As someone who uses their full name, I do not appreciate the fact that somebody can come on here and say things that may be incorrect/hurtful, etc., before running away, only to come back later under a new guise/new IP. People should be publicly held accountable for anything they publicly post, and that was my main concern.

Conversely, the points stressed by a couple of others certainly carry more long-term weight. I did give these things consideration, but, as someone who has always used my name, I guess my feelings on this echo those of Barry.
Old 05-28-2009, 01:46 PM
Dan Bretta

I've always used my full name...not just here, but also for over a decade on usenet. It's never been much of a concern for me since I've always worked for myself, but I can see the point that many of those concerned with the issue have made.
Old 05-28-2009, 06:04 PM
Frank Wakefield

1- I voted 'no'.

2- The poll process works very well here at this new site. Again, thank you, guys.

3- Even though I voted no, I kinda agree with what Joann said up there about perfection. It was a well moderated system, thanks to Leon.

4- Seeing Barry Sloate use his name helped me reconsider what I'd used on the old board, and for me going with my name here seems better.

5- After reading Barry's posts I'm going to mention 'BarrySloate' one more time, 'cause he's a good guy, runs good auctions, and all that jazz...

6- So maybe I should have voted some sort of qualified no along the lines of what Joann talked about, but I'll stay with a straightforward no.
Old 05-29-2009, 09:52 PM

I have to say, the dissenters to my viewpoint have made great points. Admittedly, I did take all of your concerns into consideration prior to us actually having this debate, but I now understand just why you are all on the opposite side of the fence. You have swayed me just enough; I still don't fully agree with you, but neither do I fully agree with my original feelings on the subject. Being set in my ways as I am, I almost feel like congratulating the "other side" for managing to put a dent in my opinion! Points well taken, guys, and a lesson learned on this end.
Old 05-29-2009, 11:25 PM
Fred

Leon,

Have you seen a drop in participation since the new board has been put in place? Just curious. It's different but it's also pretty neat.
Old 05-31-2009, 08:01 AM
TedBallgame

I see no value to having one's real name (complete name) posted after each submission. A simple first name, with a following initial for their last names perhaps, but not a full name. I personally have no problem with anyone on this board knowing who I am, where I live, cell #, blah, blah, but I'm sure there are posters who prefer some semblance of privacy and that should be respected, regardless of their rationale.

After all, Leon has everyone's real stuff, what is to gain by exposing personal data? Today's cyberworld is whacky enough without aiding the nuttys. If a poster go postal, I'm sure Leon could easily nuke them in about a half nanosecond.

As for Leon, somehow "peasant" does seem to fit your persona, something like "Beldar the all-knowing", or "High Priest of NET54" perhaps.

I really am Al.
Old 05-31-2009, 02:50 PM
Jeff

I can see both sides. I have no issue with it as long as the poster is honoring the decorum of the site. I don't necessarily need to know who everyone is. Would it be nice, sure but absent troll-like behavior NBD to me.
Old 05-31-2009, 04:51 PM
TedBallgame

To Leon...

A BIG OOPS!! My post about "peasant" fitting your persona was in error, I meant to type doesn't fit your persona. Sorry for the bad post, no harm intended, I type too fast sometimes and need to slow down and re-read what I'm about to post.

Al
Old 06-01-2009, 10:05 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default verdict....staying the way it is...

The ending totals on the anonymity poll were: (Should we allow anonymity?)

Yes 3822.35%
No 9656.47%
Yes, but names should be shown in full, elsewhere in contacts, but not required in threads 3621.18%

****To me there were enough folks that had good reasons for keeping it the same as it has been so that is what we will do.....

Thanks to everyone that voted and also I hope a few folks saw some other opinions that changed their own, at least a little bit. regards