NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 03-29-2011, 07:54 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default Buy/Sell/Trade check? How's it going over there?

Hey Ya'll
Yesterday I counted 16 new threads on the T-cards BST forum. That is quite a few new threads posted. The other BST areas get a lot of activity also. You can post some of your observations, gripes, kudos.....or whatever you want in this thread. That way some folks will get more acclimated, maybe adjust the way they do things and hopefully continue to make it a great place to trade. I get very, very few complaints so it must not be doing too poorly. As always it is caveat emptor, buyer beware. Traders assume all of their own risk. If you don't know your trading partner or just want a reference you can always ask them for references or shoot me a PM. If anyone has ever not received a timely response from a PM they sent me you can post it here too. I try very hard to address them right away. If I give a stamp of approval to anyone, as a reference, it means they are very trustworthy. I won't give a reference, and will say so, if I don't know the person. You can also make suggestions here but I/we are very slow to change things that aren't broken. (and since we have a great thread about Peck and Snyder going I will post my example, just to keep in step with the board, it is NOT for sale)......best regards and happy collecting!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg phunc1869peckandsnyderfinal2.jpg (72.3 KB, 670 views)
Old 03-29-2011, 07:58 AM
T0dd M@rcum

I have had exceptional success on the BST board. Not a complaint in sight....
Old 03-29-2011, 08:16 AM

I have done many deals on the BST without a hitch.
JimB
Old 03-29-2011, 08:21 AM
Rob

I've made many good purchases, never a problem. One day I'll try the selling end of it.
Old 03-29-2011, 08:21 AM
Clayton

Default Excellent !!!

Every transaction I have made with board members on the B/S/T have been perfect !!! It is the one of the first places I look when I'm ready to buy, along with a couple of board members personal websites. A+

Sincerely, Clayton
Old 03-29-2011, 08:47 AM
Patrick N.

Default Fee increases

Due to the fee increases on eBay, I found the BST is a very good place to sell and buy at reasonable $'s. I do wish there were more folks on the post-war side but over time I think that area will grow leaps and bounds. I do wish the pm system was trusted/more reliable as I think there can be some confusion as to pm'ing and em'ing and the "first come first serve" system.
Old 03-29-2011, 08:52 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by mintacular View Post
Due to the fee increases on eBay, I found the BST is a very good place to sell and buy at reasonable $'s. I do wish there were more folks on the post-war side but over time I think that area will grow leaps and bounds. I do wish the pm system was trusted/more reliable as I think there can be some confusion as to pm'ing and em'ing and the "first come first serve" system.
PM system isn't reliable? Please help me understand or is it more that the users don't trust it? I think PM'ing and posting in the thread, as well as emailing if the seller wants that, are all good ways to communicate.
Old 03-29-2011, 08:58 AM
Jim

Default Love BST

but no one seems to want to trade much, and make no mistake that group is tougher than a pawn shop
Old 03-29-2011, 08:59 AM
Mike Dugan

I have to admit that until recently I have not paid much attention to the BST section.

Just yesterday I lost on an offer, actually got my door blown off but the seller was very gracious letting me know where the bids were and what the recent trends have been.

I think this speaks volumes to the helpful attitude of the majority of the membership of Net54.
Old 03-29-2011, 09:07 AM
Steve Birmingham

It's probably some confusion about which method to use. None of us want there to be any problems of course, so it's a bit difficult at first.

My concern has been if 2 or 3 people want an item, but one emails and another sends a PM nearly at the same time. If neither posts in the thread it's manageable, as long as the time stamps get checked before responding.
But if one seller emails at say 10:00 and posts email sent at 10:05 and another PMs at 10:01 and posts Pmd at 10:03 that could be tricky to manage without some bit of hard feeling from someone however small. Especially if a third poster posts an I'll take it at 10:02.

It's never happened to me, and probably would be a rare thing, but still possible.

I've only sold a few things, and made a trade or two. But all have gone very well.

The further question would be just how much stuff could/should be posted. I'm doing a bit of desk cleaning and need to put some stuff up, but I worry about making it too many posts or it all getting lost in one large post.

Steve B
Old 03-29-2011, 09:13 AM
Bill

Love the BST! I have had nothing but satisfactory transactions there!
Old 03-29-2011, 09:57 AM
Gr3g N@z@r3th

I have bought many cards through B/S/T without a hitch.
Old 03-29-2011, 10:04 AM
Todd C

I check it out several times a day.

Have sold a few items too !

Todd
Old 03-29-2011, 10:04 AM
Robert Williams

I bought an old Goudey from Brian Terjung. He was nice enough to send me a card to check out if I wanted it BEFORE I PAID FOR IT!! Once I saw the card in hand, of course I wanted it, and paid for it. We also consumated a deal on Monday, and I had the cards in hand on Wednesday morning!
Old 03-29-2011, 10:10 AM
Robert Williams

Oh...I also bought a Jim Brown rookie card from Kevin Mize and a Roger Maris All Star card from Tony Quinn. Both cards looked better in person that the scans showed! Really nice cards!!! Haven't been burned yet on BST board!! (knock on wood)......
Old 03-29-2011, 10:16 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve B View Post
The further question would be just how much stuff could/should be posted. I'm doing a bit of desk cleaning and need to put some stuff up, but I worry about making it too many posts or it all getting lost in one large post.

Steve B

Thanks for the feedback so far. Here (below) is a part of the BST rules, posted in that area, concerning posting things in the BST. I think you can post 3-4 threads with different things in the same area per day. Just be courteous and all is good....(don't be a ball hog ) Or, you can post them singly in different days...Hope that makes sense.

Once any transaction is completed in the Buy/Sell/Trade areas, or over with, that transaction shouldn’t be deleted. Specific pricing, or confidential information may be removed but the other information should stay. Items should be consolidated in the BST area, into one thread, when appropriate. In other words don’t list more than a few similar items in single threads, in the same BST area, at once. IF you do this, they will most likely be deleted and asked to be posted again in a consolidated fashion. You should not bump a BST thread to the top very often (every 3-4 days at most) as it is discourteous to other posters.
Old 03-29-2011, 10:32 AM
Patrick N.

Default Curiosity

Just out of curiousity, why do some people remove sale $ once card is sold?
Old 03-29-2011, 10:41 AM
€r!©k §µmmær$

Default Removing the price

Only speculation, but presumably because it sold for less than ask, but the seller doesn't want to disclose how much less.
Quote:
Old 03-29-2011, 10:42 AM
M@tt McC@rthy

Quote:
+1

Also...wish some folks used better Thread Titles so I know what's being offered. Otherwise, no complaints.
I collect Hal Chase, Diamond Stars (PSA 5 or better), 1951 Bowman (Raw Ex or better), 1954 Topps (PSA 7 or better), 1956 Topps (Raw Ex or better), 3x5 Hall of Fame Autographs and autographed Perez Steele Postcards. You can see my collection by going to http://www.collectorfocus.com/collection/BigSix.
Old 03-29-2011, 10:54 AM

<- says it all about BST experiences...
Old 03-29-2011, 11:32 AM
Chr!$ "Bubba" L@mb

I have bought from 10-15 different sellers on the B/S/T and never once had a problem. I've always received fast, courteous service. I only wish there was more stuff for sale on there. Keep the great deals coming guys! Thanks!
Old 03-29-2011, 11:33 AM

Quote:
I remove the price out of courtesy to the buyer.

edit to add; i really appreciate the bst.....as both a buyer and a seller (which, in a roundabout way, makes me a trader)

Last edited by andybecker; 03-29-2011 at 11:43 AM.
Old 03-29-2011, 12:11 PM
Dan Bretta

I listed 5 items on the B/S/T yesterday and sold 4 of them within hours....and all four paid for within the day. Not only are the sellers over there great, but also the buyers. Never had a bum deal in 6 years on Net54.

Last edited by slidekellyslide; 03-29-2011 at 12:13 PM.
Old 03-29-2011, 12:36 PM
Robert Williams

Quote:
Only speculation, but presumably because it sold for less than ask, but the seller doesn't want to disclose how much less.
The cards I bought WERE NOT for less than asking price. The only reason I can think of removing the prices would be for confidentiality reasons. Some buyers believe that a seller shouldn't make a profit, and if they know that you paid $500 for a card, then they will offer $505 or something like that. That is why VCP is sometimes a bad tool, especially if buyers are too hung up on the averages. A premium example would bring the averages up, as well as an inferior example would bring the averages down.

Last edited by bobbyw8469; 03-29-2011 at 12:37 PM. Reason: mispelling
Old 03-29-2011, 01:04 PM
Steve Murray

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve B View Post
It's probably some confusion about which method to use. None of us want there to be any problems of course, so it's a bit difficult at first.

My concern has been if 2 or 3 people want an item, but one emails and another sends a PM nearly at the same time. If neither posts in the thread it's manageable, as long as the time stamps get checked before responding.
But if one seller emails at say 10:00 and posts email sent at 10:05 and another PMs at 10:01 and posts Pmd at 10:03 that could be tricky to manage without some bit of hard feeling from someone however small. Especially if a third poster posts an I'll take it at 10:02.

It's never happened to me, and probably would be a rare thing, but still possible.

I've only sold a few things, and made a trade or two. But all have gone very well.

Steve B
This problem can be alleviated by sellers making it crystal clear how buyers are to respond.

For me I require emails only. No pm's. No posts to thread. If the buyer wants the item he/she must email me with an unequivocal "I'll take it". Anything short of that the item is still available.

I leave prices up on sold items. No need to hide it or "protect" someone's privacy. Unless the buyer posts the item on a pickup thread no one knows who she/he is anyway.

I've sold a lot on the BST and every single transaction has been thumbs up.

Thanks Net 54 BST!
Old 03-29-2011, 01:09 PM

My transactions on the BST have always been smooth.
Old 03-29-2011, 01:17 PM

The B/S/T Boards here are my preffered way to buy and sell cards from/for my collection. What a great community of honest and forthright folks.
Love it.
RayB
Old 03-29-2011, 01:18 PM
Jason Wells

Default B/s/t

Its good to have a place to ask for references thanks Leon.I have made a couple recent purchases based on blind trust i hope work out.Good to know there are other options out there.
Old 03-29-2011, 01:22 PM
John

My transactions whether B or S, have all been smooth. Most recently I bought from Jay Miller.
These comments have been reassuring. Other than the occasional "lost in the mail" story, I wonder if we would hear about any deals gone bad on the board? I don't recall any, but my memory sux.
Old 03-29-2011, 01:26 PM
Jason Albregts

I've had nothing but great transactions in the BST section. I've gotten to know some first rate people as well.
Old 03-29-2011, 01:37 PM
Scott Levy

Great stuff and easy people to do business with.

Overall an A+
Old 03-29-2011, 01:47 PM

The B/S/T board is the greatest !!! It ranks in a close tie with the Net54 dinner !!!

Old 03-29-2011, 02:41 PM
Richard Cline

I agree with the majority of posts, the BST has been a fantastic place to add to my addiction with some very reliable people.
Thanks for setting it up.
RC
Old 03-29-2011, 02:53 PM
Banned

The monthly pickup threads and the B/S/T often are a great tandem. It's nice being able to see cards in a pickup thread, and then -- bingo! -- a few days or a week later, they're available on the B/S/T. Kind of like an auction preview, then the auction.
Old 03-29-2011, 02:58 PM
qu@n nguy3n

what's wrong with getting max exposure for your sale rob?
Old 03-29-2011, 03:21 PM
Phil Garry

I've enjoyed it mainly on the seller end of things but have also made a couple of purchases and never a problem with either scenario.

Thanks for implementing and keeping the B/S/T as a great alternative to e-bay!
Old 03-29-2011, 03:27 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaddurbin View Post
what's wrong with getting max exposure for your sale rob?
Absolutely nothing. Some people were just born to sell.
Old 03-29-2011, 03:32 PM
Jason C.

Default Love B/S/T

As a bottom-feeder, I can't really afford the majority of the stuff offered. Nonetheless, I enjoy seeing what is available from the Net54 group and if something does come up that is in my budget I feel a little safer with the purchase within this community.

It's a wonderful attribute for Net54.

(I'll go back to my lurking status in 3...2....1....)
Old 03-29-2011, 03:38 PM
Eric Shaeffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob D. View Post
Absolutely nothing. Some people were just born to sell.
lol +1
Old 03-29-2011, 03:41 PM
Frank Wakefield

I dislike the messaging. I prefer emails. The messaging system here frustrates me because of the pop up aspect of it. Also, when I try to go to Net54 I want to look at a thread or the board in general, and I don't want to get sidetracked by a message that jumps up first. eBay has a similar deal at their start, if I go there I end up with some ad or notice of theirs, and there's usually a 'continue to my eBay' box in the corner. Sometimes, instead of clicking it, I go to bookmarks and go somewhere else, sometimes here. If I wanted to go to My eBay, I wanted to go to My eBay; I didn't want to go to some ad they had going... I think some folks like the Net54 messaging, which is fine. I don't, and prefer to not use it.

I do wish folks would leave the prices up. The price was up before the buyer bought, so it is little protection to the buyer. When left up, the prices are a good resource for many of us. So leave them up, please, to help the many, instead of the one. Thanks.
Old 03-29-2011, 03:54 PM
Matt Wieder

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankWakefield View Post
I dislike the messaging. I prefer emails. The messaging system here frustrates me because of the pop up aspect of it. Also, when I try to go to Net54 I want to look at a thread or the board in general, and I don't want to get sidetracked by a message that jumps up first. eBay has a similar deal at their start, if I go there I end up with some ad or notice of theirs, and there's usually a 'continue to my eBay' box in the corner. Sometimes, instead of clicking it, I go to bookmarks and go somewhere else, sometimes here. If I wanted to go to My eBay, I wanted to go to My eBay; I didn't want to go to some ad they had going... I think some folks like the Net54 messaging, which is fine. I don't, and prefer to not use it.
Frank, it's been explained to you before, but for the benefit of others, the pop-up notification can be disabled in your User Control Panel (top left link).
Old 03-29-2011, 04:03 PM
Marc

As a frequent buyer, seller, AND trader, I will say that I have had nothing but positive experiences. I have added to my collection immensely due to the deals I've been able to make on the B/S/T and it's a wonderful forum for sellers as well. Whether it's a multi-thousand dollar deal or trading $10 beaters, 99% (not a verified statistic ) of the correspondence I have had has been pleasant and polite, even when I don't end up making a deal. So definitely a thumbs-up from me.
Old 03-29-2011, 04:07 PM
Robert A

Great resource!

Thanks to Leon, the former owners, the moderators, and the community for making it a good experience.

Robert
Old 03-29-2011, 04:40 PM
Rick McQuillan

Default Bst

I have completed dozens of BST transactions, as a buyer, seller, and trader, and all have gone well. Plus, the lower end stuff that I sell would cost me an average of 36% for ebay and PayPal fees, so it works well for me.

Rick

T213-2 139 down 46 to go.
Old 03-29-2011, 04:46 PM
Sc.ott Stif.fler

I am a great fan of the T card BST board. I have never had a bad experience buying or selling.
Old 03-29-2011, 05:36 PM
Frank Wakefield

Thank you, Matt. And I agree, it has been explained to me before. (Amazing how I can type that without having to do that "quoting" crap...)

I still don't like the pop ups and stuff. Emails are a much more tolerable means of communication, for me. Again, I'm not whining to get rid of the messaging and pop up stuff. I was just answering Leon. S,H,D, if he's wanting an answer I should be able to answer.

I think the B/S/T section is a great aspect of what we have going here... Thank you guys for having it.
Old 03-29-2011, 05:39 PM
D.B. Cooper

Quote:
Thank you, Matt. And I agree, it has been explained to me before. (Amazing how I can type that without having to do that "quoting" crap...)
Which post are you referring to? Who's Matt? I'm confused.
Old 03-29-2011, 06:12 PM
M!ke S@il£r

BST has been a very positive experience for me. I find myself missing tons of good deals on Ebay because I practically ignore it in favor of BST. I only wish I could afford more of the neat cards.

Last edited by vintagecpa; 03-29-2011 at 06:12 PM.
Old 03-29-2011, 06:25 PM
Banned

Quote:

I still don't like the pop ups and stuff. Emails are a much more tolerable means of communication, for me. Again, I'm not whining to get rid of the messaging and pop up stuff. I was just answering Leon. S,H,D, if he's wanting an answer I should be able to answer.

I think the B/S/T section is a great aspect of what we have going here... Thank you guys for having it.
Frank,

A few months ago I e-mailed you step-by-step directions how to disable the PM/pop-up feature, and you replied the problem had been taken care of to your satisfaction. If those PMs/pop-ups have somehow activated themselves and are bothering you, would you like to have those directions provided again? Just let me know, and I'll be more than happy to do so.
Old 03-29-2011, 06:39 PM
Frank Wakefield

Rob, the popups and messaging was annoying me. And yes, you did send me great, step by step instructions, on how to stop them. I used your instructions. The effort was a success. And I thanked you. (Again, amazing how I've managed to respond to that without the 'quoting' crap.)

So no, Sir. I don't need the instructions again. All is fine, I'm not getting the messages, not getting the popups. That was fairly clearly stated up there. Maybe all you wanted was to jump in there with a quote, to pick at me, instead of offering a response to Leon's thread. I responded to it. You and Matt just stirred stuff. (Matt could have made a general comment about changing the settings, without the quote or history.) Grow up, guys.

Last edited by FrankWakefield; 03-29-2011 at 06:40 PM.