NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 11-09-2010, 06:37 PM
Trae Regan

Default eBay: T206 Marquard Throwing "New York & Boston"

What's your take on this?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=110609792534

Looks to me like it would be an MK if PSA had graded it...
Old 11-09-2010, 07:13 PM

Default Another

Mine is available for a fraction of that price and in a condition far superior.

Old 11-09-2010, 08:04 PM

That is strange. Those look to be in exactly the same place.
JimB
Old 11-09-2010, 08:29 PM
Matt Wieder

pit stain.
Old 11-09-2010, 09:09 PM

If you notice the red B is in reverse, which might tell you another card stuck most likely from the Boston Nationals was wet which stuck to the Marquard. This could be one of a kind, but there were many T206 cards that produced different type of ghost images at that time.
Old 11-09-2010, 09:31 PM
Barry Arnold

Default marquard

now if the card had notated(printed legitimately) at the bottom "new york and boston",
i'd be looking for the 850 plus 12 right now.
otherwise, the B is an interesting anomaly that i might pay a wee bit of a premium on but no 862.
best,
barry
Old 11-09-2010, 09:38 PM
Trae Regan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double-P-Enterprises View Post
Mine is available for a fraction of that price and in a condition far superior.
Whoa! Thank you for sharing that. Just when I thought it was sort of hokey, there's another example.

This set never ceases to amaze me, which is why I love it so much.
Old 11-09-2010, 09:49 PM
Tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbsports View Post
most likely from the Boston Nationals was wet which stuck to the Marquard.
It doesn't look like any of the Boston National B's to me but it could be a partial transfer or smudge of one. I'll let you decide. Here are the Boston National B's.

Last edited by Abravefan11; 11-09-2010 at 10:02 PM.
Old 11-10-2010, 07:08 AM
(DJ) Rich.ard.s

I find it interesting that the two examples provided are different backs. Anyone have any other examples?

dj
Old 11-10-2010, 07:25 AM
Tony Ooten

And all this time I just thought some kid back in '10 or '11 thought it would be a good idea to scribble an 8 on Rube's armpit.....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Marquard throwing.JPG (58.5 KB, 1365 views)

Last edited by tonyo; 11-10-2010 at 07:38 AM.
Old 11-10-2010, 09:11 AM
Chris

Default Look!

I see Joe Jackson in the background!!!
Old 11-10-2010, 08:28 PM
Jim R

nice comparison Tim-its not the Boston B

looks like the sheets were in the same place before the ads were printed on the backs.

Pete-I don't see where your card is for sale-can you guide me to the listing?
Old 11-10-2010, 08:52 PM

Default hmm...

Had seen that listing on Ebay earlier today before reading this thread, and assumed that the seller was falsely (or mistakenly) hyping a marked card. It looks like a purple stamp of an "8" to me. Am fascinated to discover that there are other cards with the same printing in the exact same position - lends credence to SGC for assigning a numerical grade to the card rather than going with an Auth designation for it being marked on the front.

But if it's a printing defect, like a wet transfer as mentioned earlier, then two questions:
  • how come there's no other evidence of wet transfer on the card (eg ghost image, another color, etc. -- ie why is the red B the only element transferred)
  • and the misprint doesn't look like a "B".
Old 11-10-2010, 10:08 PM
Johnny S

For it to go under the radar there must not be a whole lot of them I would guess ?
Old 11-11-2010, 06:13 AM
Matt Wieder

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyHarmonica View Post
For it to go under the radar there must not be a whole lot of them I would guess ?
Nah - it just means nobody noticed.
Old 11-11-2010, 10:23 AM
Johnny S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
Nah - it just means nobody noticed.

So this isn't the missing link ?
Old 11-11-2010, 01:50 PM
Trae Regan

@JimR - I don't think there was a public listing aside from the mention in this thread. It's already been sold though.

@Shaun - Totally agree! My first impression was marker or pen. Hopefully we can somehow get to the bottom of the mystery.
Old 11-11-2010, 03:34 PM
Steve Birmingham

I've been trying to figure out exactly what would cause this sort of misprint. It's not a typical fisheye caused by debris on the plate or offset blanket. Those are color inside unprinted rings.

I believe it's from dents on the plate, or stone. Ink would pool in the dent or chip, but wouldn't print in the center if the defect was deep enough. So it would only come from one spot on the sheet, and probably only from part of the overall press run.

Having different backs should prove that groups of fronts were printed first and then backs were printed as needed.

Steve B
Old 11-11-2010, 06:19 PM
Jim R

thanks Trae-not really in to oddities just wanted to know the asking price and by the post I thought I missed something.

Now if it had an Uzit reverse...
Old 11-11-2010, 06:19 PM

Just a note. This seller is the guy that a few weeks ago, some of us were talking about a wild new bidder that made us look like we were bumping our own auctions. He placed like 20 bids on one of my lots as a 0 feedback guy, and lots of bids on my other stuff selling that weekend. He has put this lot together over the last few weeks and must be trying to make the flip before the vig adds up on the credit card.
He has about $1500 worth of my stuff in there, wonder if he is gonna make the flip in time!

I just thought that was kind of funny,
Bob
Old 11-11-2010, 07:04 PM
Matt Wieder

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyHarmonica View Post
So this isn't the missing link ?
Sorry.
Old 11-16-2010, 06:43 PM
Trae Regan

Here is a high-res zoomed scan of the "8" - still no clue what it is.

Old 12-31-2010, 07:46 PM
Ron Rice

Default Marquard with red 8

Here's another example of the odd Marquard variation with the Red 8. It looks more like an "8" than a "B".

This one has a Sweet Caporal 350-460 back Factory 25 back. It sure seems like this card is an uncatalogued T206 variation since it is a front variation and was printed with several different backs.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Marquard0001.jpg (18.1 KB, 791 views)
Old 01-21-2012, 08:05 AM
Doug

So what has to happen for this card to be "recognized"? I think it should at least have some kind of nickname. Mine is a Piedmont 350~460.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pelty 002.jpg (30.0 KB, 702 views)
Old 01-21-2012, 10:43 AM
Ron Kornacki - Uncle Nacki

I tried picking one up last week on ebay. The opening bid was $100 and I bid $175 and a day later the auction was ended early within its first day listed. The seller then relisted it and sold it for $225. I probably would have paid more than that but his loss and mine too. I think the card should be call the "Demo Marquard" because it kinda looks like a demolition derby figure eight or call it the "Infinity Marquard" because its similar to the infinity sign.
Old 01-22-2012, 09:11 AM
Pup6913

This is F'-ing ridiculous. As soon as a few marks are found on a 206 its instantly a variation but if its another less collected set the obvious variations are swept under the rug and disregarded. The Graham 205 Blue writing vs Black writing on front. No way to say its not a deliberate change in ink thus making it a variation but will probably never be recognized as such. The PB white is another. There was also a card I wanted to buy from Turner at nationals that was a reverse image. That was a strip card found with 2 different fronts yet it is disregarded as a variation. So WTF makes a variation. Just Because its a 206 is my vote and nothing less.
Old 01-22-2012, 10:29 AM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pup6913 View Post
This is F'-ing ridiculous. As soon as a few marks are found on a 206 its instantly a variation but if its another less collected set the obvious variations are swept under the rug and disregarded. The Graham 205 Blue writing vs Black writing on front. No way to say its not a deliberate change in ink thus making it a variation but will probably never be recognized as such. The PB white is another. There was also a card I wanted to buy from Turner at nationals that was a reverse image. That was a strip card found with 2 different fronts yet it is disregarded as a variation. So WTF makes a variation. Just Because its a 206 is my vote and nothing less.
Andrew, to me it's interesting because it's an oddity that hasn't yet been explained, and it's found with different backs. It's weird - that's all. Not in the same league as the Graham you describe. The T206 is more popular than the T205, so people are more interested in discussing these strange things.

As you know, it's difficult to get the T205 collectors on this board to talk about anything related to the set, so you know they aren't going to want to make people aware of the truly scarce items that aren't public knowledge. If I find a T205 with anything the least bit unusual about it, or even a well-known variation, I tuck it away for later discussion. I think the only way you are going to get really in-depth discussions on T205s, is to set up your own discussion forum specifically for that purpose, and invite all the T205 collectors - if you build it they will come.

edited to add: I have gotten GREAT response to my T205 questions via PM and email, so I know 'they' want to talk about the set. (thanks)

Last edited by Runscott; 01-22-2012 at 10:31 AM.
Old 01-22-2012, 11:11 AM
Tony Ooten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pup6913 View Post
Funny, I remember being surprised back in aught-10 (when the thread started) that it didn't get more discussion.

It went over a whole year with nary a peep (unless I missed it). I wouldn't call that "instantly".

Not defending t206 over t205 per se' just commenting on the interesting view from different perspectives.
Old 01-22-2012, 11:04 PM
Trae Regan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillies*phan View Post
So what has to happen for this card to be "recognized"? I think it should at least have some kind of nickname. Mine is a Piedmont 350~460.
Unfortunately when Bob's work was "ignored" in the 2012 Standard Catalog, the chances of this card being officially recognized went down the crapper I think.

Even despite this: http://boblemke.blogspot.com/2011/05...th-errors.html

I wrote PSA, SGC, and at Bob's suggestion even Beckett Almanac, referencing Bob's blog post(s in this case), and PSA & SGC both said if it's not cataloged, then they wouldn't recognize it, and Beckett Almanac gave this oddball response: "For now, that is all we got for that checklist. We will just save your email to keep you posted for the updates/additions.", which in more words means "NO.", I guess.

I think all of the options have been exhausted for now, but I'm open to anyone else's idea(s).
Old 01-23-2012, 05:16 AM
Doug

Would PSA or SGC put a notation on the flip? They do it for "missing red ink" and I doubt that is in the catalog.
Old 01-23-2012, 11:01 AM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillies*phan View Post
Would PSA or SGC put a notation on the flip? They do it for "missing red ink" and I doubt that is in the catalog.
What would the flip say? (I would call it the 'Marquard Infinity', which I think would be appropriate since if you are going to give this card a special flip, you will be doing it for infinity with all other such 'error' cards.)
Old 01-23-2012, 11:18 AM
Doug

Maybe we should start another thread and include a poll for everyone to vote for the name.
Old 01-23-2012, 05:45 PM
Ron Rice

Default Marquard 8

Hi Doug,

Thanks for posting your scan of the Marquard "8" variation. I've seen 6 different of these now, and with several different backs.

I find it interesting how the Magie error card is priced sky-high while the Marquard error can be had for almost the usual price for a Marquard! Also interesting that it took 100 years of collecting for anybody to notice!
Old 01-24-2012, 11:17 AM
Frank Kealoha Ward

The Magie spelling error is a true manmade error... big difference

this "8" thing is only a print defect.
The guy that designed the card probably didnt intentionally put a red "8" on Marquards armpit, .....its a stray print mark.
Old 01-24-2012, 12:00 PM
Mi.ke Masi.nick

Here's another weird one... we could have a blue splotch variation too:

Old 01-24-2012, 12:14 PM
Tony Ooten

so far, mine is in the worst condition by a long shot!
Old 01-22-2013, 10:31 AM
Jason Stricker

Interesting how Marquard has more than one 'error'. Here's my 'comma' error card where the left period on his uniform is a comma rather than a period. I would really like to see SGC (and other TPGs) acknowledge these given there are more than just one or two out there. SGC labeled the T206 Walsh 'blue' old mill with a special flip when there's only one out there that we know about, yet they won't label the Marquard "8" or the Marquard "comma error" when there are plenty of known examples.

Old 01-22-2013, 10:39 AM
Archive

Here is another version. I do not own it, just saved a scan.

Jantz
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Marquard red dash front.jpg (74.7 KB, 470 views)
Old 06-13-2013, 02:53 PM
Doug

Concerning the number of the armpit 8's produced. If one card on a sheet had the "8" would all of the Marquards had it or just the one card.
Old 06-14-2013, 07:41 PM
Cliff

Default Rubes Armpit

Mine has a stick figure on it (factory misprint?)

IMG_0013.jpg

IMG_0014.jpg
Old 12-28-2021, 05:58 AM
Ry@n \/3tt3R

I am looking through all the cards I need for the 520. Is this considered part of the 520? If so, that would mean there are 4 Marquards, not 3.
Deals Done: GrayGhost, Count76, mybuddyinc, banksfan14, boysblue, Sverteramo, rocuan, rootsearcher60, GoldenAge50s, pt7464, trdcrdkid, T206.org, bnorth, frankrizzo29, David Atkatz, Johnny630, cardsamillion, SPMIDD, esehombre, bbsports, babraham, RhodeyRhode, Nate Adams, OhioCardCollector, ejstel, Golfcollector, Luke, 53toppscollector, benge610, Lunker21, VintageCardCo, jmanners51, T206CollectorVince, hockeyhockey

Collecting: T206

Monster #236
Old 12-28-2021, 07:33 AM

No. The Marquard with red 8 on armpit is not one of the 520 needed to complete the set. As you probably know, a complete set is 524, and includes the Wagner, Plank, Magie error and Doyle NY Nat’l. However, these 4 are considered so rare and/or expensive that the hobby deems a set of 520 (without the big 4) as complete. See the PSA registry options. I am not sure why the Magie and Doyle are part of the 524, but the Marquard, as well as other oddities, is not part of a “complete set”. But nevertheless it is not. Very cool card though and worth owning in my opinion - I need one!
Old 12-28-2021, 10:02 AM
Ry@n \/3tt3R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhotchkiss View Post
No. The Marquard with red 8 on armpit is not one of the 520 needed to complete the set. As you probably know, a complete set is 524, and includes the Wagner, Plank, Magie error and Doyle NY Nat’l. However, these 4 are considered so rare and/or expensive that the hobby deems a set of 520 (without the big 4) as complete. See the PSA registry options. I am not sure why the Magie and Doyle are part of the 524, but the Marquard, as well as other oddities, is not part of a “complete set”. But nevertheless it is not. Very cool card though and worth owning in my opinion - I need one!
Thank you... this is good to hear as it is one less higher price card I need to find!
Deals Done: GrayGhost, Count76, mybuddyinc, banksfan14, boysblue, Sverteramo, rocuan, rootsearcher60, GoldenAge50s, pt7464, trdcrdkid, T206.org, bnorth, frankrizzo29, David Atkatz, Johnny630, cardsamillion, SPMIDD, esehombre, bbsports, babraham, RhodeyRhode, Nate Adams, OhioCardCollector, ejstel, Golfcollector, Luke, 53toppscollector, benge610, Lunker21, VintageCardCo, jmanners51, T206CollectorVince, hockeyhockey

Collecting: T206

Monster #236

Last edited by Oscar_Stanage; 12-28-2021 at 10:02 AM.
Old 12-28-2021, 11:08 AM
P@trick R.omolo

This Marquard print flaw variation is an example of it's not what you know but who you know that counts. PSA's stance has always been that they won't grade a specific card if it isn't cataloged yet they started grading these despite the fact that they weren't cataloged (and still haven't been that I'm aware of).