NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 04-09-2002, 11:02 PM
Administrator

Default 1933 Ruth....solicitation e-mail????

Posted By: Brian C Daniels 

A guy from New Jersey sent me a letter some of you may have received offering a Goudey 33 Ruth card ( of course grading service confirmation is not optional based on sale** )

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?MfcISAPICommand=ViewItem&item=1816753719

The funny thing isn't even if it is good or not but thwe fact that the bid history is devoid of any of the known players,( you guys ). Anyone else get the letter or can appraise this beauty???

Old 04-09-2002, 11:12 PM
Administrator

Posted By: runscott

They bid on a fake t206 Cobb, not knowing the difference. I noticed later that they were selling high-dollar autographs, guaranteeing authenticity. I was interested in one of the autographs and asked how they could guarantee it. I also asked about the bid on the fake Cobb. The guy got very defensive, told me what an expert he was in the field, and started name-dropping. I never got a clear answer out of him. The bottom line is - there's no telling who he really got the Ruth card from.

Old 04-10-2002, 12:00 AM
Administrator

Posted By: vorthian

NM-MT? Right! Slab it then and make a few multiples of the $5300 bin. I don't like whats going on with the lower left area.

Old 04-10-2002, 02:25 AM
Administrator

Posted By: B C Daniels

I need you to send me the ad for the Cobb he bid on...........I see a trend...it's "2Seamers" garbage resurfacing again. I want to confirm it if possible.

Cardknowledge@earthlink,net

Old 04-10-2002, 07:41 AM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

this card is technically a 5-6.....and is overpriced.....and I agree the lower left is not looking good.....regards all

Old 04-10-2002, 08:22 AM
Administrator

Scott you did not see me bidding on Reprint baseball cards....you might have seen an employee of mine.....and if you check out the item...you will see
that I canceled their bid when I found this out. I would never have bid on any of those cards.
You got to be kidding.......I AM A ......PRO at this business....and I can teach anyone in this business the ropes.
Barry Helper probably had about 20% of my items in his collection.
I am an Authenticator and I only buy what passes my examination.
I put many items in the biggest
Auctiuons...Mastro....Lelands....Christie's...Soth ebys
I have been written up plenty of times in the Sports Collectors Digest...have been on TV and Do all the Major Nation Conventions in Antiques and Sports.
I have done interviews live at the Atlantic City Antique Convention on Collectibles and Antiques and I have exhibited my items in many museums.
So that is me in a NUT Shell.
Regards,
Frank

Old 04-10-2002, 08:27 AM
Administrator

I discussed the card (Ty Cobb with "Ty Cobb" back) with Frank at Nostalgic Gallery and he agreed that it was a fake, but said an employee had bid on it. Might need to "show that him the ropes" again.

Old 04-10-2002, 08:29 AM
Administrator

Posted By: John Wojak

I got the email from this guy also, and the card looks Ex/Mt to me IF, and it is a big IF, the bottom left corner is okay. Looks very fishy, like there was some erasing going there or something else.

Old 04-10-2002, 09:24 AM
Administrator

First of all who is "Barry Helper?" ...But spelling aside he is just foolish......if he thinks his Ruth he sold is anything more than a possible ex-mt then he needs to authenticate for Nasa or Pro .....regards all

Old 04-10-2002, 11:17 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Jim/jverri01

I was solicited on this one, as well. The minute I saw that lower-left corner - I smelled the sea (i.e., "the aroma of fish"). $5300. for this card is just INSANE. I guess I need to be spending less time OBSESSED with T206s, and more time selling Good/Good+ Goudey Ruth's at phenomenally exorbitant prices, heh? You guys are right, tho - this is a 10. NASA 10, anyway.

Old 04-10-2002, 11:43 AM
Administrator

Posted By: David

Boy, Scott, I hope you haven't kept all my emails .... I was just making jokes to Scott when I said all those things about the rest of you guys. Honest. And before it leaks out, I wasn't really the Jim Brown's body double in all his movies.

Old 04-10-2002, 11:49 AM
Administrator

I have a file called "Weirdos" (honest) and I save all of the classic emails from scam artists for my personal amusement - I considered this one a classic. I don't save much of anything else (other than, of course, back-issues of "Cycleback"!)

Old 04-10-2002, 11:51 AM
Administrator

...the email I copied from this guy was his own egotistical opinion of himself, which I am sure he would love everyone to see.

Old 04-10-2002, 08:00 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Julie Vognar

"jacsports" is high bidder on three of Jay Miller's Mayos...(see "bidder history" on the Ruth).

So,m lemme get this straight: someone supposedly Bought It Now through the mail? He's trying to get you to Buy it Now? What is going on? The lower left hand corner needs less work...

Old 04-11-2002, 06:49 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Jay Miller

I have dealt with jacspoarts before and had no problems. Julie--why are you mentioning him here?

Old 04-11-2002, 07:24 AM
Administrator

Is one of the best ebay'ers around.....I wish I could afford the cards he does....he bought my 2nd most expensive offering on ebay and paid and communicated very promptly.....a pleasure to do business with....regards all.....

Old 04-11-2002, 10:18 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Brian C Daniels

I wrote the guy a few letters....my first two were nbice and then after he gave me the bull**** business I wrote him (Jim),one of my "standard" hate mailers filled with facts and prayers for Satan to do his mother et.........( you know Jim,the ones that make you laugh* ) anyway,HE is now informong ME that he is going to implicate me to ebay*** for rule violation!!!! But of course,he mailed me and some of you in an attempt to circumvent the fees and sell it after hacking the e-mails from e-bay! I have had this happen before! Someone solicits me and then is going to file something with e-bay safe harbor.I never even heard of this guy before yesterday.I hope to meet him at a National. he likes to quote movies et........as Jack Nicholson stated as the Joker in Batman; " wait until he gets a load of me!" The guy wrote me five times telling me how honest and successful he is! I hate him!

Old 04-11-2002, 02:59 PM
Administrator

Posted By: vorthian

<< Is one of the best ebay'ers around.....I wish I could afford the cards he does....he bought my 2nd most expensive offering on ebay and paid and communicated very promptly.....a pleasure to do business with....regards all..... >>

Leon, I agree 100%. John is extremely professional and has my respect.

Old 04-11-2002, 06:21 PM
Administrator

The original post on this thread said that none of you guys (the board) had been on the multi-bid Ruth card. I dhwecked out the list and found "jacsports," (about ghalfway down the list, so I thought I woukld mention him as being a legitimate bidder. DASSAL.

Old 04-11-2002, 06:26 PM
Administrator

The original post on this thread said none of you (the board) had bid on the Ruth. I checked out the list of bidders (there were a lot) and found "jacsports" halfway down, so I thought I would mention him as being a legitimate bidder.
Dassal.

(no, this isn't a double print, but there were so many typos in the original one that I thought I should do it again.)