NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 04-01-2002, 04:29 PM
Administrator

Default this is why I snipe

Posted By: runscott

Please, don't anyone complain about snipers to me. I put in a bunch of high bids the other day, not planning to be around tonight when some auctions ended, and I'm going to pay through the nose because of it. It's quite irritating because the competing buyers are just running the bids up, clearly unsure how much they are willing to pay, but quite willing to jack my price up (a few non-comittal bucks at a time)- am I whining? Yes, but only once.

Look for my return to sniping in the future!

Old 04-01-2002, 04:49 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Julie Vognar

when i found a card sitting at $120, I decided to test the waters. By the time I'd bid $255, and was still getting "sorry," I figured I didn't want to go any higher.

Then I started thinking about the poor sap who bid $300 as soon as he laid eyes on the card. I tossed and turned. "If only, "I thought, "I could RETRACT all those bids and leave him with his $120 card (+whatever others bid).

next morning, it was so easy. After carefully reading all the warnings, I pressed "retract," and every one of my bids disappeared (oh yes, i had to make up an excuse for what I did ("Card is too perfect. I think it may be trimmed.")

Then i sent the high bidder a brief e-mail (not through e-bay) telling him what I'd done, and that my reason for retraction was "pure bull," a asort of 'heads up."

He got the card for $128. He never wrote me, but, as you can imagine, the seller wrote me 4 or 5 times! I answered his first e-mail, and then I clammed up.

It sat on my record ("bid retraction") for 6 months.

There was no communication between me and high bidder, but I think you still call it 'bid shielding." Anyway, I'm an outlaw.

They say confession is good for the soul. I'm not sure, when all you sellers come down on me, I'm going to feel that way!

Maybe you'll get me kicked off--the board, e-bay. Maybe it would be just as well.

Old 04-02-2002, 12:12 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Ryan Christoff

Julie,

In your above post, would you mind explaining what this part means:

"(I'd looked up the guy's bidding record, and he wasn't rolling in either dough or bidding smarts, and he was black--take my word for it)"

I mean the black part. I'm not sure I understand.

Thanks,

-Ryan

Old 04-02-2002, 04:54 PM
Administrator

Posted By: vorthian

<< Look for my return to sniping in the future! >>

Welcome back.

Old 04-02-2002, 07:59 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Tbob

You mentioned you put in some high bids only to see them run up but I seem to recall some T213s last night in which you came in and sniped me at the wire including a Baker card with 2 seconds left so you'll get no sympathy from this corner. I had to resort to some sniping last night because the snipers were out in force and if I hadn't, I would never have won the few HOFers I did. It's frustrating, I agree, to lead wire to wire on cards all week long only to see a card go down in flames when someone comes from out of left field to snipe. I have learned the hard way and Pete and Scott B. have convinced me that sniping is the only way to go. I still back off a snipe when I see certain individuals I have had dealings with leading at the end, but I also know that everyone snipes and if there is a card I really want I'll go after it.

Old 04-02-2002, 08:35 PM
Administrator

Posted By: petecld

All's fair in Love and Auctions!

Old 04-07-2002, 05:33 PM
Administrator

Posted By: runscott

I shouldn't have complained - lots of bidders keep bidding a few bucks at a time until they get tired of the game - that's to be expected on ebay, especially with so many bidders that really don't know what they're willing to pay for a card until they see someone else's bid (that's why I snipe!)...but why would I want your sympathy? I came out of that evening with several very nice t213's at reasonable prices. I'm quite happy. And I hope you like the cards you won as well.

Old 04-07-2002, 06:47 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Julie Vognar

I guess I've said this ten times: why bid the most you can with 6 days left when you can bid it with 6 seconds left? Which way are you most likely to win?

And of course sometimes you get outsniped. Unles you have all the money in the world. I'm very poor, but I never buy anything but baseball cards and photos, so I JUST get by.

EEK--there's that origina;, oh so carefully thought out post of mine. I wish it would vanish...