NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Basketball / Cricket / Tennis Cards Forum

Old 10-18-2016, 07:50 PM
Kin K.

Dale,

Here are scans of the two Beehives that I got graded:

img822 by kekinsley, on Flickr

img823 by kekinsley, on Flickr

Unfortunately, Beckett graded items do not scan well. The plastic is thicker so that's why they look so bad. I even did it in a dark room. A little frustrating but it is what it is. Also, they are actually slightly bigger than the surface of my scanner. That's why the pics appear cut off.

I did pick them up at a local show. We have shows in our area most weekends but the one that I attend most frequently as a regular seller that has nothing but hockey (he's originally from Ontario) and he had them. They were the only two. I think they said they were his brother's at one time, if I remember correctly.

Andrew Shaw was a nice guy when I met him. For some reason I expected he wouldn't be, but I'm glad that I was wrong. I actually have a (online) collecting friend in Ontario that's buying and sending me some Canadian stamps. I'm going to send a TTM request to him and see how it goes.

I also scanned the pages below that were in the first Beckett Vintage Collector magazine. This was the first that I learned about the Beehives and where most of my limited knowledge comes from.

img824 by kekinsley, on Flickr
img825 by kekinsley, on Flickr
img826 by kekinsley, on Flickr
img827 by kekinsley, on Flickr

Have a great evening!
-kin

Quote:
Originally Posted by irv View Post
I'd love to see them, WVU, that would be great!

I am glad my Father kept those envelopes and the advertising piece. I have seen a few envelopes for sale but never the advertising piece itself. I thought there were only 5 but there are 6 in total.

I'm curious where you purchased your Beehives, was it in the State of Texas? If so, that is interesting, considering their lack of popularity and the fact they made it all the way down there.

Glad to hear Beckett grades them. I have been told Beckett is a great resource for info and prices. Guess I should join to see for myself.

Dale

EDIT: Just read some of your blog, Kin. Very interesting. I am looking forward to reading more. I see your a Andrew Shaw fan. This was 2 years ago. My son was fortunate to play a game of shinny with Andrew Shaw. He was a great guy!!
T206/T213 Scoops Carey back run: 4/4 !00% complete

Focus: open wheel/Indy 500 cards (1911 ATC Auto Drivers (T36), 1954 Stark & Wetzel 500 Winners, 1960 Parkhurst Indy Speedway Winners & 1960s Marhoefer Indy 500), match books & post cards.

Successful purchases from dnanln, pre1960sets, jp1216 & sebie43; RAKs from CW & LuckyLarry
Old 10-19-2016, 07:05 PM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Originally Posted by wvu_class_of_2001 View Post
Dale,

Here are scans of the two Beehives that I got graded:

img822 by kekinsley, on Flickr

img823 by kekinsley, on Flickr

Unfortunately, Beckett graded items do not scan well. The plastic is thicker so that's why they look so bad. I even did it in a dark room. A little frustrating but it is what it is. Also, they are actually slightly bigger than the surface of my scanner. That's why the pics appear cut off.

I did pick them up at a local show. We have shows in our area most weekends but the one that I attend most frequently as a regular seller that has nothing but hockey (he's originally from Ontario) and he had them. They were the only two. I think they said they were his brother's at one time, if I remember correctly.

Andrew Shaw was a nice guy when I met him. For some reason I expected he wouldn't be, but I'm glad that I was wrong. I actually have a (online) collecting friend in Ontario that's buying and sending me some Canadian stamps. I'm going to send a TTM request to him and see how it goes.

I also scanned the pages below that were in the first Beckett Vintage Collector magazine. This was the first that I learned about the Beehives and where most of my limited knowledge comes from.

Have a great evening!
-kin
Thanks, Kin. Great pics and article!

Did you purchase your Beehives already graded or did you yourself get them graded? If so, can you remember the cost?

Yeah, Andrew Shaw is definitely nicer off ice than he is off, but I assume most are, hopefully?

It was a fun day watching my son be able to skate/play hockey with him. He not only taught the kids a few things, he inspired them to be better, stay in school and get good grades, etc. It was a great experience for my son and one he'll likely never forget.

Thanks again, Kin.

Take care

Dale.
Old 11-05-2016, 08:19 AM
D@le Irv*n

I have been getting a few inquiries lately about my Beehives, and although, at this point, I don't really plan on selling them, I am curious if there is any new updates/news about them?

Also wondering, if someone is a member, if they'd mind checking out what this lot sold for, if if did, back in 2011, for me?
https://sports.ha.com/itm/hockey-car...a/7037-80096.s

Thanks
Old 11-05-2016, 10:43 PM

$65,725 including buyer's penalty.
Old 11-06-2016, 05:09 AM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Originally Posted by spec View Post
$65,725 including buyer's penalty.
I was ready to say WOW, but considering this completed set, with all the extras, is super rare, I guess I shouldn't be too surprised.

The Cy Wentworth, if it's of him in a CDN's sweater, is worth over $8,000 alone.

A recent auction of 89, which a guy PM'd me about thinking they were mine, just sold for $777.00 so they are receiving some love/attention, which is good to hear.
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/HUGE-lot-of-1...sAAOSwx2dYCLzm

Thanks for providing the info, Spec. I appreciate it very much!
Old 11-27-2016, 09:46 AM

Default Beehives

Hi Irv.

I just looked over your list of Beehives and I can see you used the Beehive Museum website to compile your list. Most of the photos on that site came from 2 or 3 collectors and even that sight does not have a complete list of all available photos. This is truly one of the most difficult sets to complete. I am in the process of putting all my Beehives on a flicker account. I live in the country so the internet service is real slow( a little faster than dial up ). If you lookup billsmart2 on flicker you will see it. I have a very complete list of all known Beehives as well as the unconfirmed ones along with most of the extra items such as the planes, order forms, tokens cans and collars, etc. This is a far more extensive set than most people realize. If you need any help just ask. I have over 800 of the 1023 hockey players known to exist as well as olympians, airplanes, who's who books etc. I also have over 200 doubles I am willing to trade
Old 11-27-2016, 07:23 PM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billwinkle View Post
Hi Irv.

I just looked over your list of Beehives and I can see you used the Beehive Museum website to compile your list. Most of the photos on that site came from 2 or 3 collectors and even that sight does not have a complete list of all available photos. This is truly one of the most difficult sets to complete. I am in the process of putting all my Beehives on a flicker account. I live in the country so the internet service is real slow( a little faster than dial up ). If you lookup billsmart2 on flicker you will see it. I have a very complete list of all known Beehives as well as the unconfirmed ones along with most of the extra items such as the planes, order forms, tokens cans and collars, etc. This is a far more extensive set than most people realize. If you need any help just ask. I have over 800 of the 1023 hockey players known to exist as well as olympians, airplanes, who's who books etc. I also have over 200 doubles I am willing to trade
Great info, Bill. Thanks.

I returned your PM.

Looking forward to talking some more.

Dale