NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 09-04-2002, 01:07 AM
Administrator

Default Pitching Performances

Posted By: Lee Behrens

This may be answering my own thinking but were there any greater pitching preformances than these two:

Start: Harvey Haddix 12 perfect innings

Relief: The guy that relieved Babe Ruth after Ruth got thrown out after letting the first runner on 1st. the reliever proceeded to pick this runner off and then pitch a perfect game.

Am I missing any greater?

Lee

Old 09-04-2002, 01:33 AM
Administrator

Posted By: jeff s

he pitched 2/3 of a scoreless inning!

Old 09-04-2002, 06:26 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Brian Weisner

Jay,

The "Guy" who replaced Ruth was Ernie Shore, who also roomed with Ruth on the road that year.

later brian

Shore is from my hometown Winston-Salem,where he became Sheriff after his playing days. Super nice Man!

Old 09-04-2002, 07:43 AM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

Exactly who they were but there were 2 pirchers that both pitched no hitters in a game.....I think it might have been a big game ie...Playoffs or something....and one of them lost in extra innings and I believe 1-0...only time a pitcher has lost a no hitter through 9......I am saying this because I remember reading it but just don't remember the specifics....regards all

Old 09-04-2002, 08:40 AM
Administrator

Posted By: john(z28jd)

Tom Cheney pitching 16 innings while giving up just 1 run and setting the major league record for strikeouts in a game with 21

Leon Cadore and Joe Oeschger pitching a 26 inning 1-1 tie

Jack Coombs pitching 24 innings winning 4-1 over Joe Harris who also went all 24 innings

Old 09-04-2002, 09:14 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Jay Miller

Roger Clemens pitching a one hit 16 strikeout game against Seattle in the playoffs.

Old 09-04-2002, 10:08 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Dr.Koos

...Steve Dalkowski's (Baltimore Orioles minor league pitcher in the early 60s under Earl Weaver) no hitter!
Steve was timed at the Aberdeen Proving Grounds, the same place that Feller recorded a 98.6 MPH pitch. Interestingly, this device, unlike a Radar gun which times the ball, usually in either mid-flight or out of the pitcher's hand, measured TERMINAL velocity. In order to be timed, a person had to throw the ball into a chute from a pitching distance and the device would read the terminal MPH of the thrown object. It took Dalkowski over 50 pitches to throw the ball into the chute! The reading was an impossible 120 MPH!! Eddie Feiner, the fast pitch softball wizard ("King and his Court"), who most major leaguers thought was a sterling accomplishment just to FOUL OFF one of his pitches in Charity Exhibition games, was timed at 104 MPH on this same device. Anyway, Dalkowski LOST a 9 inning no hitter by the score of 10-9, striking out 25, walking 19, and serving up his usual quota of wild pitches, some throw into the stands halfway between third base and home plate! He has one baseball card, a 1963 Topps rookie card (showing the standard 4 players). The minor league stats are INCREDIBLE, showing a huge losing W/L record in somewhere between 700 to 900 innings pitched with approx. 1100 strikeouts and 1100 walks!!
My vote for the second most incredible pitching performance is my pitching the 1952T Pro Mantle auctions on Ebay in an unfriendly climate of overwhelming adversity!!!

Old 09-04-2002, 12:25 PM
Administrator

but I'm pretty sure one of the pitchers you are thinking of, Leon, is Hippo Vaughn. Can't remember the other.

Old 09-04-2002, 12:37 PM
Administrator

This was Lee that posted originally not Jay, I take no credit for him, but you get a repreave Brian, Mom called me Jay on my birthday of all days.

Lee

Old 09-04-2002, 12:53 PM
Administrator

Atleast I got the last name right.
Who's older anyway?

Old 09-04-2002, 01:07 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Anthony

Jim Tobin and Hippo Vaughan, about 1918 or so?

Old 09-04-2002, 01:21 PM
Administrator

Jay is bigger, older, and uglier.

Lee

Old 09-04-2002, 04:04 PM
Administrator

Posted By: jay behrens

what he meant to say was that I got all the looks, brains and brawn in the family. Ever seen those Charles Atlas ads in the back of comics and magazines? Just draw a goofy looking mustache/soul patch thing on his face and that's Lee.

And if you think Lee felt bad about being mistaken for me, how about me? How anyone could possibly get us confused, let alone our own mother is beyond me.

Jay

Old 09-04-2002, 04:29 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Ryan Christoff

Aren't there several Twins fans who are regular posters on the board? When evaluating a "great" pitching performance I would have look very carefully at the importance of the game. We can probably all agree that Game 7 of the World Series is as important as a game can get, so here's my pick for top pitching performance, followed by a few others, in order:

1. Jack Morris Game 7 1991 W.S. - 10 shutout innings
2. Don Larsen - nuff said
3. Any Bob Gibson World Series game
4. Satchel Paige - 3 shoutout innings for the K.C. Athletics at age 59. You'd think big leaguers could score a run of a senior citizen in 3 innings.

-Ryan

Old 09-04-2002, 04:47 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Anonymous

Ah yes, what a great October Sunday it was in 1991. I attended the Vikings thrashing of the Cardinals, then made it to a sports bar to watch the coronation. Jack Morris is a native Minnesotan, which made it all the sweeter. What a game!!! Tomahawk chop this!!!!!!
Gotta give it up to Larsen though too. Perfection in the Series, now that's almost mythical.
Side note: didn't Rick Wise once throw a no-hitter and hit two home runs in the same game? Not a bad day's work!
Regards.........Todd

Old 09-04-2002, 04:51 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Todd (nolemmings)

Got so teary-eyed I couldn't remember my own name. But enough living in the past-- join in Tbob and Behrens' bros:
"We're gonna win Twins, we're gonna score,
We're gonna win Twins, watch that baseball soar,
Crack out a home run, shout a hip hooray,
Cheer for the Minnesota Twins today!!!!!"

Old 09-04-2002, 05:32 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Julie Vognar

Tomahawk Chop, I hope the As fold.

Old 09-04-2002, 05:36 PM
Administrator

Posted By: jay behrens

be sure to check my auctions. I will be selling some much coveted 1987 and 1991 Homer Hankies. The last pair I sold on eBay, I got $45. Not bad for a snot rag. Now if I could just get Kirby or some other big name Twin to blow their nose in it, just imagine the money that would go for

Jay

Old 09-04-2002, 05:59 PM
Administrator

...What the Heck is the fascination with Minnesota!!! Of all the teams! Of all the places on the Earth!! MINNESOTA. There's not a more inhospitable climate on the planet than in Minnesota, with the possible exception of Northern Siberia or the Antarctic Circle!!! How humans can live there is unfathomable to me! Alien couldn't survive in Minnesota. You get 1 week of summer, a cool Autumn day is 1 degree and the thermometer never rises above 70 below with wind chills lower than liquid nitrogen throughout October to April!!! Plus, if THAT isn't bad enough, you have the horrible time change to get used to if by some misfortune you should wind up in this frozen wasteland that time forgot. If it's 8PM here, in Minnesota it's 1957!!! If God meant man to live in Minnesota, he wouldn't have given us the other 49 Continental states!

Old 09-04-2002, 06:27 PM
Administrator

Hi Ryan
Don't forget John Smoltz threw 9 shutout innings against Morris. He can't help Lonnie Smith can't run the bases and Bobby Cox is a great judge of talent, but a bad bench manager. I think that game was one of the greatest WS games of alltime. I believe Smoltz and Morris could have pitched all night without giving up a run. Charlie Liebrant, can we say homerun, everybody knew it before it happened. I hope this years series has atleast one game half as good. be well brian

Old 09-04-2002, 06:39 PM
Administrator

Posted By: jay berhens

A lot of it has to do with the fact that our buddy Bud wanted to contract the Twins. I think every baseball fan out there secretly or openly wants to see the Twins win the Series just for the sheer 'in your face' factor it would provide.

Jay

Old 09-04-2002, 07:11 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Elliot

Even a Canadian knows there is only 47 other continental states, not 49.

Old 09-04-2002, 07:17 PM
Administrator

both "British" and "Columbia."

easy mistake

Old 09-04-2002, 09:16 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Brian C Daniels

Christy Mathewson pitched 3 NO HITTERS in The 1905 World Series*** Winning it for them 4-1 in the series.
They called it the WhiteWash series of 05 and it is an MLB record for which Christy holds standing almost 100 years! No Bne will ever beat thaT !

Dan, stop watching " My Koosin Vinny " and get in here to defend grandpa Matty!

Old 09-04-2002, 09:53 PM
Administrator

Posted By: B C Daniels

And leon resembles Kid Hippo himself!

Old 09-04-2002, 10:11 PM
Administrator

Posted By: TBob

you've never been there.
Lakes in the city limits, brutal but beautiful winter nights, starry summer nights listening to the Twins on the radio as The Killer smacks another one in to the Bloomington night, friendly people, the sounds of the warming house at the local skating rink, Joe Kapp, Tony "O", Bud Grant, Kirby Puckett, the Iron Men, Bronko Nagurski, Metropolitan Stadium, the "U", the Little Brown Jug and Paul Bunyan's Axe. A great state.
The best thing about the weather is it keeps furiners out. When Minnesotans do leave to go to another state, it raises the IQ of both states.

Old 09-05-2002, 12:38 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Tom

in this year's little league world series for the Valley Sports All-Stars (from of course, LOUISVILLE, KY) versus somewhere in Texas team. 9 inning no-hitter with 19 strikeouts. Game won by Valley Sports in the 11th. Went on to win WHOLE she-bang too........he won the final game against Japan while setting a record for strikeouts in the WS with about 45 or so through 3 games. Okay, I'm partial............

Old 09-05-2002, 01:51 AM
Administrator

Posted By: B C Daniels

1975 I remember hearing Monte Moore's voice announcing it even still. I was there. he mowed down the great 75 A's team like they were crab grass! Also,how azobut the perfect game against THE TWINKIES!!!!!! OF ONE

JAMES AUGUSTUS "CATFISH" HUNTER !!!!!!

Old 09-05-2002, 10:21 AM
Administrator

many of the perfect games have been thrown against the Twins, but hey they have 2 World Championships!!!!!!!!!

And working on number 3.

Twins will waste all of the American League!!!!!!

Lee

Old 09-05-2002, 11:08 AM
Administrator

Posted By: JamesW

May 15, 1918

Walter Johnson and Lefty Williams pitch an 18 inning, 1-0 game. Both going the distance.

James Walker, Jr.

Old 09-05-2002, 11:13 AM
Administrator

..my visiting Minnesota, about 18 years ago. It was the end of Sept./beginning of October and unusually warm that time of year in New York. I took a warm jacket because I had heard stories, though didn't believe them at first, of Minnesota's Plutonian type climate, which could freeze and crystallize a living being in their tracks! When the plane left NYC, it was a balmy 88 degrees, but upon landing in Minnesota, which was already shrouded in complete darkness at 2:30 in the afternoon, I wouldn't have been the least bit surprised if they had told me that we landed on another planet! The guy on the airstrip that was guiding the plane into the terminal with those signal lights in his hands was wearing a Spacesuit, complete with a helmet and the sky looked similar to the scene in "Alien" (the first one)when the spaceship landed! It looked like it was snowing but what was falling from the sky looked more like frozen confetti. Like a vortex of icecicles filling the frozen atmosphere. Just THROWING a baseball under conditions such as this (in pre-indoor days) without it being deflected by the icecicles or having the ball freeze right into the air in mid-flight is an amazing feat, let alone pitching ANY kind of complete game.

Old 09-05-2002, 01:55 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Brian Hodes

In 1952 then minor leaguer Ron Necciai threw the game Nolan Ryan spent his illustrious career trying to throw -- Necciai faced 27 men and struck them all out !
Later that season he was (not surprisingly) called up by the Pirates. His major league record for that stint in 1952 is a dismal 1-6 with a 7.08 ERA.

It would be virtually impossible to be any more dominant than Necciai was on that one fateful day 50 years ago.

Old 09-05-2002, 03:20 PM
Administrator

Posted By: ty_cobb

I believe Tom Seaver holds the record for consecutive
strikouts with 10, and 19 in that game, and was presented
with the Cy Young award following that same ballgame
in 1970.

Old 09-05-2002, 03:31 PM
Administrator

Posted By: ty_cobb

The best pitching performance hasn't started yet!
The B.C. boys are on their way. Adam Loewen
(drafted 4th overall) should be down in 2004
and Jeff Francis (drafted 9th overall) should
be down with the Rockies next year.