NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Buy/Sell/Trade Section (must login, caveat emptor) > Tobacco (T) cards, except T206 B/S/T

Old 03-20-2006, 06:39 AM
Administrator

Default Polar Bear T206 partial set

Posted By: Joe

Edit: All cards back from SGC
http://www.internetville.com/images/thumbnails.php?album=3

Edit: I submitted all of the cards to SGC for grading. I will get them back in May and will post a link to new scans of them. Thanks everyone for the advice.

I have somewhere near 200 different cards in the T206 set (about 150 commons, 50 not commons).... all with the Polar Bear Back.

When I started collecting them about 15 years or so ago, I wanted to go for a set entirely made up of Polar Bear backs.

Anyway...
Now I am looking into selling them.

Many are in lower grade (1s or 2s if graded)... all have not been graded by a grading company...here are the questions...

I am wondering if it is worthwhile to grade all of them (with some sort of bulk grading order)... or is it not worth it for a common in lower grade?

also was thinking of throwing say 100 together in one lot to sell on eBay... 100 Polar Bear back t206s. Good idea?

Thanks in advance.

(edited message just to make my name clickable to email address)

Old 03-20-2006, 06:51 AM
Administrator

Posted By: David Vargha

Call Sean Skeffington at SGC. He would probably charge you $6-$7 each to grade all 200. Your best bet would be to take the time to sell them individually. If you are not interested in all of the hassle and have a price in mind, offer it up for sale on Net 54 first. I for one, would love to know what you want for them. E-mail me if you have a list and price in mind.

DavidVargha@hotmail.com

Old 03-20-2006, 06:59 AM
Administrator

Thanks for the info.

I was thinking GAI instead of SGC? I did get some cards graded by SGC at the Philly show, and some recently graded by GAI.

The guys at GAI were really nice, gave me time, let me sit and talk to Mike, the grader at the show, and go over different things about cards and grading. I just got a much better feeling about them.

So it is worth getting even those commons in lower condition graded?

I plan on going to the Hofstra Show (Long Island National in April) and will probably submit them all for grading there.

Old 03-20-2006, 06:59 AM
Administrator

Posted By: T206Collector

...you'll be quite happy you took the time to do that.

Old 03-20-2006, 07:14 AM
Administrator

Posted By: David Vargha

Mike Baker's a good guy. However, I prefer SGC over GAI and I'm sure we'd get at least 98% agreement here.

DavidVargha@hotmail.com

Old 03-20-2006, 07:24 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Steve M

in the 98%

Old 03-20-2006, 09:23 AM
Administrator

I have a decision to make... SGC or GAI.

I have heard SGC was the best for T cards (before these posts) and I went to them to grade some of my cards at the philly show... but then I went to another card show and a couple of dealers told me I was better off putting the cards in GAI slabs... that GAI brought more money/interest.

I didn't like the PSA setup at the Philly show. They were busy and I just didn't feel comfortable with them (maybe it was just because they were too busy, I know PSA is very well known / respected).

200 cards... would be good to make the right decision before slabbing all of those cards.

Does GAI make people on this board less interested in buying the cards? I guess what I am asking is -- Do people collect loyally from only one grader? or is it more about the cards?

Old 03-20-2006, 10:01 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Sean Coe

I think it is always more about the cards, but having said that most on this board prefer SGC.

Old 03-20-2006, 11:21 AM
Administrator

Posted By: PC

I've purchased hundreds of low to mid grade T206 commons in the last 6 months graded by SGC, PSA and GAI. GAI examples typically sell for less than SGC and PSA, and when I have the choice, I go with SGC over PSA, and PSA over GAI.

In grades of 1 and 2, the price differential between SGC and GAI for any individual card is not that great. But if you have 200 cards, then a few bucks more per card begins to make a difference.

Of course, it also depends on the grading deal you get betwen SGC and GAI. If SGC costs more than four or five bucks more per card to grade than GAI, then GAI may be the way to go. If the costs are about the same between the two, then I would, personally, go with SGC.

Good luck.

Old 03-21-2006, 06:11 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Cy

Joe,

If you would like to sell a large group of those T206 cards ungraded, I would be interested in buying them.

Send me an E-mail.

cyrilp@visuallink.com

Thanks.

Cy

Old 03-21-2006, 06:26 AM
Administrator

Posted By: T206Collector

I always take into account a discount when bidding on GAI cards, because the ones that I've acquired have been overgraded and won't crossover into SGC holders.

Go with SGC and you will not be disappointed. (By the way, the lack of customer-friendliness at the PSA table is just one of the reasons many of us no longer use PSA.)

Old 03-21-2006, 06:55 AM
Administrator

cy -

I will work on getting a list together and scans done for all of them (was going to do that before submitting them for grading anyway)....

I will then email you the list and a link to the images (If I figure out how, I will post them all on my website).

If anyone else is interested in receiving the email list with link, let me know and I will email them to you as well.

I should have all of the scanning /listing done by next week some time.

Thanks,
Joe

Old 03-30-2006, 08:42 PM
Administrator

Edit: ****By the way... all cards shown at link below are available for sale.

Okay,

I finally scanned them all in.

Here is a link for all who are interested...

http://www.internetville.com/images/displayimage.php?album=2&pos=0

181 ungraded T206s, most all of them Polar Bear backed (maybe 10 or so are Old Mill)

Here is a link to all of the card "albums", showing some other cards and some graded ones.

http://www.internetville.com/images/index.php

in addition, I have 12 cards being graded by GAI right now including Demmitt St. Louis... and when I get these, I will add them to the site.

Thanks,
Joe

Old 03-31-2006, 06:51 AM
Administrator

Posted By: greg buscemi

are you looking to sell in bulk or can you sell a few singles I cant afford them all

Old 03-31-2006, 09:58 AM
Administrator

Right now I have a couple of people who have contacted me through this forum with interest in buying the whole lot.

And a handful of others have contacted me for individul cards.

Until I get through a 'sale' or 'no-sale' from the people offering to buy the whole lot, I am hesitant to sell individual cards.

But... if you are interested in any individual card, please send me an offer -- I am going to start a list of who is interested in what so that I can get back to people in a timely manner (as there seems to be a bunch of inquiries coming in).

I am also faced with the decision of:
To grade or not to grade?

I already contacted SGC and have filled out all of the forms for Bulk submission... I will be at a card show (that SGC will be at) next week... so I have to make the grading decision soon.

Old 03-31-2006, 11:16 AM
Administrator

Posted By: JimB

You can't go too wrong with PSA on T206s. I think popularity of grading companies depends on the set and the grade of the card. Blanket statements about vintage cards in SGC and 50's and 60's in PSA are simplistic and inaccurate in my opinion. That said, I think a lot of mid to low grade T206 collectors (at least the vocal ones on this board - and it is not at all clear they are representative of the buying public as whole who are interested in these types of cards) prefer SGC.
JimB

Old 05-02-2006, 02:45 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Joe D.

Just wanted to post a little update...

I will have the nearly 180 T206s back from SGC this weekend (most are Polar Bear backs, some Old Mill, and I am hoping a brown Old Mill is in there).

If I am able to, I will scan them all and repost a link (hopefully will have it ready for next Monday). All will be available for sale or trade.

ungraded link:
http://www.internetville.com/images/thumbnails.php?album=2

Old 05-02-2006, 06:28 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Marc S.

when they come back. Please shoot me an e-mail

Old 05-08-2006, 07:31 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Joe D.

I picked up all of the cards from SGC (at the Philly Show)....

All cards available for trade or sale. I will be going through all of them to try to come up with pricing... but if you are interested in any of them contact me (first come first served)

SGC graded -

http://www.internetville.com/images/thumbnails.php?album=3

Here are some cards that did not get slabbed by SGC (trimmed, minimum size, too much card missing)...

http://www.internetville.com/images/thumbnails.php?album=12

Edit: emails coming in quickly (and I am trying to respond as quickly as possible). If you are interested in any, please do not wait for a posted price - send an email inquiry and I will get to a price ASAP... so that I could consider you first in line for that card.

Edit:
list of pending or sold items...
-Adkins
-Gandil
-Greminger
-Hooker
-Seitz
-Street
-Warhop