NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 03-25-2011, 04:19 PM
Seth Y

Default Who else has had a card destroyed by PSA? RIP E98 Walsh Green

Just got the wonderful call from Scott at PSA telling me my E98 Green Ed Walsh was defaced and basically is impossible to identify now that they tried to slab it. They have definitely lost a customer. I mean it wasn't that great looking in the first place, had some paint chipping, but all I wanted was a PSA 1 or A to protect it. To destroy it is just dumb.

If anyone has one please let me know! I have a blue and red and was going for all 4 colors...green is out of the mix and I need another!
Old 03-25-2011, 04:41 PM

Default destroyed?

I'm not sure I understand? I guess I didn't realize a card can be defaced during the grading process by any grading company???? How can it happen, anyone ever seen how they vacuum seal them in the container?
Old 03-25-2011, 05:13 PM
Seth Y

Trust me thats what he said. At first it just had some paint chipping now he told me when the machine did the thing it got defaced and is impossible to identify if you didn't know what it was before.
Old 03-25-2011, 06:06 PM
Dave

Just curious if they compensate you in any way or is/was it at your own risk.
Old 03-25-2011, 06:38 PM

That definitely sucks Seth.

Since PSA destroyed the card, they should at least reimburse you for what you had purchased the card for, but they'll probably want to give you vouchers for future submissions instead.
Old 03-25-2011, 06:46 PM
Scott S

Sorry to hear it. I had a 1915 CJ Bender and they apparently thought 'bend' was an instruction and not part of the name.

I had a scan of the card just before sending to PSA and was able to show them the 'before' scan, but after some back and forth, I ended up getting my next $200 order comped. I would rather have had the card without the crease, but I took the free subs since I know no one is perfect and the occasional issue could happen with anyone.
Old 03-25-2011, 07:47 PM
Larry

Default Bent corners

Had a 1970 Reggie Jackson in NMt-Mt submitted to them raw, and it came back a five, as I recall years ago, due to a bent corner. Unfortunately, it didn't have the bent corner when I submitted it. The only time I've submitted cards since was when they were grading on-site at various Nationals.

Larry
Old 03-25-2011, 10:35 PM
qu@n nguy3n

alot of the other problems in the thread can be attributed to psa's mishandling...but i won't put the blame on the 100% for the e98. these are very prone to flaking on the surface, especially if they're beginning to flake already (if i remember the e98 green walsh correctly).

i've had a couple e98s where when i take the raw card out of the sleeve i can see some specks or flecks being left behind in the sleeve. who knows maybe they were soaked or treated before and this is the aftermath. e94s same thing.
Old 03-26-2011, 03:21 PM

Default I had this happen to me

I had this happen to me with a 1977 Sportscaster card. Those are thin cards and the card was going to grade a 9 (according to PSA). It got ruined in the encapsulation process and PSA gave me enough free grades to more than make it worth while.
Old 03-26-2011, 04:13 PM
Glyn Parson

Default This happens sometimes

This happens sometimes particularly with E98's and a couple of other caramel issues prone to chipping. If they are willing to make good I dont see it as a problem. Stuff happens.
Old 03-26-2011, 04:32 PM
Marty Pritchard

At a show, I was shown my Mays card that had been scraped on the front when they were holdering it. They mailed me a check for the card.

I gave SGC a card that had been misidentified. They corrected the problem by putting the card into the correct labeled holder. The correctly identified card was of a lesser value than the misidentified card would have been. I was given a smile for the difference in value.
Old 03-26-2011, 06:12 PM
Pup6913

Quote:
Originally Posted by martyp View Post
At a show, I was shown my Mays card that had been scraped on the front when they were holdering it. They mailed me a check for the card.

I gave SGC a card that had been misidentified. They corrected the problem by putting the card into the correct labeled holder. The correctly identified card was of a lesser value than the misidentified card would have been. I was given a smile for the difference in value.

Not sure what the issue was on this deal. Damaged card- you are owed. Mis-labeled card- worth more by defrauding only. SGC doesn't owe anything and you could have left it in the slab right???
Old 03-26-2011, 07:10 PM
Danny Smith

I submitted a fragile card to PSA a few years ago at the national and after Their reps warned me of how rough encapsulation could be on that particular card, I decided to slab it anyway. It worked out fine but I guess I'm curious, is the SGC slabbing process as potentially harsh on a fragile card as PSA's? I've got a couple more super beaters I'd like to slab.

Danny
3) Crawford
4) Magee
5) O'Hara

N172 Want List
1) Phenomenal Smith (all poses and variations)