NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 06-30-2019, 07:10 PM
Je.rry Spillm@n

Default Show professionally graded cards that you consider inadequately graded or in error.

33GROVEPSA8a.jpg

1887Keefe.jpg

1914CJWagner.jpg

honus.jpg

n43-ewing.jpg

psa-cj.jpg

N300Shindle.jpg

prince.jpg

M116Brown.jpg
Old 06-30-2019, 08:05 PM

Default Ducky Medwick ; 1934 Gold Medal Foods Basic 12

...no argument on the number grade but AARRGGHHH on the mis-identification by two different professional organizations ; the card is a 1934 Gold Medal Premium from Wheaties. Now I need to find one in a Beckett holder so I'll have the trifecta.

Old 06-30-2019, 08:14 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

The T206 "Honus" you show is no longer in the pop report, FWIW.

Some of those early grades are gifts, some are probably due to chemical treatments returning years after the card was slabbed.

My biggest grading issue has been cards that deserved the MK qualifiers that did not get them:

Three red marker drawings got a straight PSA 5?

Pencil writing on the back of this Ty Cobb HOF postcard and it got a straight PSA 4. MK is supposed to be one of the qualifiers that you cannot get removed, even if you request No Qualifiers.
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.
Old 07-01-2019, 12:50 AM
Bob Davies

This might end up being the longest thread in the history of Net54.
Old 07-01-2019, 03:07 PM
Ge0rge Tr0end1e

Default Not sure if you meant to include "undergraded"

3601412_12521368_1[1].jpg

3601412_12521368_2[1].jpg
Old 07-01-2019, 03:50 PM
Ben North

Here are 6 PSA got WAY wrong. The first picture has a PSA 9 and a PSA 7. The 9 is mislabeled, it has the cheapest of the error versions actually in the slab but it is labeled as the most expensive. The 7 is counterfeit just like the 2 PSA 8s pictured and the 2 PSA 9s. Yes it is fairly easy to get a counterfeit card into a PSA slab. I won't out the gentleman because I think he is a member here. He has an amazing collection of 89 Fleer Bill Ripken error versions all in PSA slabs. He has so many cards with alterations so obvious Stevie Wonder could see them but PSA slabbed them with a # for him.

For those that don't understand printing. Those counterfeit Ripken cards are 10X as hard to counterfeit than a 50s card with white borders.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ripkenfake.jpg (74.4 KB, 459 views)
File Type: jpg big3.jpg (48.8 KB, 464 views)
File Type: jpg ripkenfakes.jpg (75.9 KB, 457 views)

Last edited by bnorth; 07-01-2019 at 03:52 PM.
Old 07-01-2019, 05:32 PM
Steve Birmingham

I don't think one would be harder than another because of the borders or lack of borders. But I wouldn't mind hearing the reasoning behind that.

If those are a few of the cards with the large TM or R symbol, I was able to examine one firsthand, and it was really a puzzle.

Short version
It didn't have most of the traits of fakes from the 1990's. In some ways it could be said to have none of the common ones.

But it was- for a 1989 Fleer, definitely non-standard

It DID have several traits that made me lean away from thinking it was fake. Subtle stuff that at the time would require work most counterfeiters didn't/wouldn't do. At least one of those things was not typical for 89 Fleer. I'm still not certain what to think of it.

Just after, I bought a few non- error versions as a small lot. Mostly because they had clear differences on the back of one card. And all of them are just fine.

In the end, I suppose the "fake" label is the easiest, the card is atypical in several ways. But where they aren't ways that are typical for someone making a fake card, I don't think that's 100% certain.

My suspicion is that those particular fakes were done in-house at one of Fleers printers. Maybe legitimately as a "special" for HSN or shop at home.
Fleer is of course long gone, and I'd assume their records got thrown out, so we will probably never know.
It's not a totally crazy notion, the big shopping networks and at least some retailers did get special stuff from other manufacturers, and UD both reprinted their own cards, and faked stuff they were the licensed printer for.
Old 07-01-2019, 05:42 PM
Steve Birmingham

I think this one got a generous grade, I wouldn't have gone much above a 2. Not that I'm unhappy with the grade it was given....

This one has a light crease starting at the top center and going almost to the center of the card. Probably from being removed from a plastic page.

I also have a few like this, when I see 50's and even the occasional 60 with rounded corners I get a fleeting moment of annoyance.

Old 07-01-2019, 05:49 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve B View Post
I don't think one would be harder than another because of the borders or lack of borders. But I wouldn't mind hearing the reasoning behind that.

If those are a few of the cards with the large TM or R symbol, I was able to examine one firsthand, and it was really a puzzle.

Short version
It didn't have most of the traits of fakes from the 1990's. In some ways it could be said to have none of the common ones.

But it was- for a 1989 Fleer, definitely non-standard

It DID have several traits that made me lean away from thinking it was fake. Subtle stuff that at the time would require work most counterfeiters didn't/wouldn't do. At least one of those things was not typical for 89 Fleer. I'm still not certain what to think of it.

Just after, I bought a few non- error versions as a small lot. Mostly because they had clear differences on the back of one card. And all of them are just fine.

In the end, I suppose the "fake" label is the easiest, the card is atypical in several ways. But where they aren't ways that are typical for someone making a fake card, I don't think that's 100% certain.

My suspicion is that those particular fakes were done in-house at one of Fleers printers. Maybe legitimately as a "special" for HSN or shop at home.
Fleer is of course long gone, and I'd assume their records got thrown out, so we will probably never know.
It's not a totally crazy notion, the big shopping networks and at least some retailers did get special stuff from other manufacturers, and UD both reprinted their own cards, and faked stuff they were the licensed printer for.
We will have to agree to disagree. I did read your "report" and completely disagreed with everything in it.
Old 07-01-2019, 06:07 PM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorth View Post
We will have to agree to disagree. I did read your "report" and completely disagreed with everything in it.
I'm still on the fence after a few years, and very open to the cards being fake. At any rate, they don't belong in holders labeled as the error version, maybe not at all

It was a while ago, and I don't recall if I ever sent the second half of the detailed report. I can't find it on my computer, so I may not have finished it and sent it.

The part I do know I sent was the technical info. Thickness, how the cardstock and inks reacted to both long and shortwave UV and maybe a few other things, for a fake, a real one, and a couple control cards If I remember correctly, a glossy and an update and maybe something Canadian.

I'd love to discuss any of it in detail. Maybe outside this thread, as it's not really the right place.

Lets just say most fakes are pretty obvious and show the same signs of the same sort of sloppy work. These are a bit different.
Old 07-01-2019, 06:17 PM
Ted Zanidakis

Acquired this card several years ago. I thought it did not deserve an "A".
But, it didn't cost me much (so I cannot complain).

Anyhow, I recently, cracked it out....and, submitted it to SGC

This time they graded it a "60".....

TED Z

T206 Reference
Old 07-01-2019, 10:14 PM
Rocky Rockwell

Default Trimmed?

Great photo image but to me the side and bottom borders look to be a bit small....maybe slight trimming? What do you think?
Old 07-01-2019, 11:10 PM
Jerry Tate

Default Mothers Bread and Mino

Two I used to have...the Wagner batting is a Mother's Bread and the throwing is a Mino...Jerry
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2wagners.jpg (72.1 KB, 368 views)
File Type: jpg 2wagnersback.jpg (70.1 KB, 373 views)
Old 07-02-2019, 08:05 AM

A little tuesday morning T206 humor for you tobacco card aficionados out there

Old 07-02-2019, 03:35 PM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiceDocter View Post
Great photo image but to me the side and bottom borders look to be a bit small....maybe slight trimming? What do you think?
That's pretty much the normal American Beauty. Except for how nicely it's centered. Most are skinny and sometimes a bit short, but way off center percentage wise.
Old 07-03-2019, 09:43 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

How about ones they won't grade?

Old 07-03-2019, 10:22 AM
Ben North

Pretty sure this one should have received a Authentic grade.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 58aaron.jpg (76.7 KB, 201 views)
Old 07-03-2019, 11:33 AM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Here are 6 PSA got WAY wrong. The first picture has a PSA 9 and a PSA 7. The 9 is mislabeled, it has the cheapest of the error versions actually in the slab but it is labeled as the most expensive. The 7 is counterfeit just like the 2 PSA 8s pictured and the 2 PSA 9s. Yes it is fairly easy to get a counterfeit card into a PSA slab. I won't out the gentleman because I think he is a member here. He has an amazing collection of 89 Fleer Bill Ripken error versions all in PSA slabs. He has so many cards with alterations so obvious Stevie Wonder could see them but PSA slabbed them with a # for him.

For those that don't understand printing. Those counterfeit Ripken cards are 10X as hard to counterfeit than a 50s card with white borders.
This one just arrived yesterday, Ben.

Can you tell from the scans if it is real or not? (I should have done more homework prior to purchasing! )
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bill Ripken FF.jpg (75.1 KB, 194 views)
File Type: jpg Bill Ripken FF back.jpg (74.5 KB, 192 views)
Old 07-03-2019, 11:46 AM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by irv View Post
This one just arrived yesterday, Ben.

Can you tell from the scans if it is real or not? (I should have done more homework prior to purchasing! )
That one looks good. There are a ton of fakes out there of that card and its variations. Some guy in Iowa started printing(home printer) them up a couple years ago but they are very easy to tell they are fake in hand.

The ones I posted are fake but done with a real printing press. The biggest give away is the thinner card stock, the very obvious second generation photo, and the recropping of the photo.

PSA has stopped grading the high quality fakes i posted. SGC and Beckett has always rejected them as counterfeit.
Old 07-03-2019, 11:49 AM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
That one looks good. There are a ton of fakes out there of that card and its variations. Some guy in Iowa started printing(home printer) them up a couple years ago but they are very easy to tell they are fake in hand.

The ones I posted are fake but done with a real printing press. The biggest give away is the thinner card stock, the very obvious second generation photo, and the recropping of the photo.

PSA has stopped grading the high quality fakes i posted. SGC and Beckett has always rejected them as counterfeit.
Thanks Ben.

I purchased it from a reputable seller so I assumed it was real but after reading your post, I wasn't so sure anymore.

Last edited by irv; 07-03-2019 at 11:49 AM.
Old 07-03-2019, 07:29 PM
Greg C

This one is easy. Spot the error
Old 07-03-2019, 09:28 PM
Sean McGinty

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowpopper View Post

This one is easy. Spot the error

Leaf!!
Old 07-04-2019, 06:05 AM
Albert Bee

Default grade

Wow,
collectors pay these people to do this !! ??
Old 07-04-2019, 07:32 AM
Howard Che.r.n.i.ck

I recently owned a small lot of Armour coins where 6 of them were mislabeled by PSA.

Each one was labeled 1959 Armour Coins when they should have been 1960 Armour Coins.

I am not the original owner and did not notice the mistake until I started selling these at my eBay store.

Nothing surprises me anymore when I hear these crazy stories about grading companies.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 47016-001.jpg (71.7 KB, 109 views)
File Type: jpg 47016-002.jpg (70.8 KB, 107 views)

Buythatcard

http://stores.ebay.com/Buythatcard
Old 07-05-2019, 01:46 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

Looks like it's been through a washing machine. Plus its tab is torn off. Not sure how this got anything but a Poor/Authentic.
There's not even a cut-out area for the missing tab in the gasket.
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.