NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 05-20-2015, 10:28 AM
Greg Mitchell

Default Can someone explain how Saco River live auctions work?

There's one today and I've never been able to quite figure out how they work from the online "help." I guess you can place a bid in advance (which does not show up) and then at 5 p.m. ET it goes "live" and...what happens? All of the lots are open and you can see bids rise in real time until...what? Can you bid on anything when it's live? Thanks for any explanation....
Old 05-20-2015, 10:34 AM
Jason Stricker

Yes, you can leave bids in advance. It shows you the number of bids that have been placed, but not how your bid stands against other bids.

When auction is live, you can place real time bids, one lot at a time.
Old 05-20-2015, 10:50 AM
Greg Mitchell

You mean any lot even if you have not bid? And at what point do they close a lot?
Old 05-20-2015, 11:24 AM
Dave H@rford

Default A Regular Auction

When the auction is live, they start bidding at either the minimum bid or the previous bid done on-line prior. For example (fictitious), if you are bidding on at SGC 1 T206 Cobb Red, with an opening bid of $200, placed your own ceiling bid of $400, the live-auction will start with the price to whereever your $200 bid has been bumped by other bidders, lets say to $300. Then when the live auction starts, it opens at $300, and when that lot # is ready, ANYONE can bid during the live time (it goes lot by lot, just like a regular auction). The auction close is also just like a regular auction, you get a "going once", "going twice" and "sold" and that lot closes and they move to the next lot. Most auctions at Saco seem to be won by people standing in the auction room rather than online, but if you bid high enough, everyone has a chance, even prior to the live auction (say you really wanted this Cobb and put your early ceiling in at $900, it may never get outbid even live).

Dave
Old 05-20-2015, 11:55 AM
Chr!$ M!ll!c@n

Agree. I use LiveAuctioneers for the Saco auctions. Most of the time, i place early pre-auction bids. The guys are correct, its just like a 'live' auction or a Barrett Car auction to name one. Once the hammer hits, its done and moves to the next one.
I had only 1 issue in the past, where somewhere else had placed a bid, tho mine was a pre-bid and never fully understood why i didnt win it, even with their kind response.
If your looking at their T206's they can go for good money, i think the group/lots can find a deal hidden or one of those hard to find commons.
Old 05-20-2015, 03:52 PM
Chr!$ M!ll!c@n

ANY WINNINGS???
I logged in around lot 30-ish, so i missed what some early lots went for. I had 2 bids in.
I did watch the WAJO portrait go for like 2,500. And then the Cobb batt/off, for those that knew, it had like 1/3 paper loss on the Piedmont back. Depsite the tobacco dots on the front, it still went for like 425?? i think.
I gave up after that.
I guess i wait and see if i did win anything in the early lots. GOOD LUCK for those still watching/bidding
Old 05-20-2015, 04:16 PM
Sean Costello

The Walter Johnson portrait went for $3,000. Continuing my recent history, I was one of the underbidders.
Old 05-20-2015, 05:46 PM
Don Hontz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean View Post
The Walter Johnson portrait went for $3,000. Continuing my recent history, I was one of the underbidders.
Sean my friend was the underbidder at $2900---prices went fairly high--some bargains on common T206's---I was at the auction---They didnt have as many high end cards as previous, but when one did come up--it went top dollar.--I won 23 lots and did get the Carpenter OJ---I picked up the T205 SGC 45 Walter Johnson---The SGC 70 Bresnahan--a nice SGC 84 T206 Bill Burns--SGC 30 T206 Speaker---Those were my highlights----The Walter that went $3K was a beauty--with the juice, depending how u pay, it was around $3500---Don
Old 05-20-2015, 06:03 PM
Luke Keeler

I picked up a couple of nice, reasonably priced Polar Bears. I found the online bidding a lot easier then I had anticipated. Put in my bids a few days ago and they held up.
Old 05-20-2015, 06:12 PM
D0NN1E B

I won the Lumley SC350 Fac25... I liked the format of this type of auction. The item goes up for bid and your done in < 1 minute.
Old 05-20-2015, 06:49 PM
T0m C@rf@gn0

I got three of the T206 multi card lots. Will be available as soon as they arrive and I can scan them. 20 PB backs and 10 Piedies. Also got the Red Man lot, Dick Tracy card lot, 1913 Red Sox ticket and 1916 World Series program.

Tom C
Old 05-20-2015, 07:37 PM
Paul Herbener

That 1916 World Series program was sweet. You outbid me on that one and the Red Sox ticket. I got the lot of 3 World Series tickets, a 48 Leaf lot and a descent looking T206 Rube Merquard. I liked the format too, I wish it was later so I could pay better attention, stupid work kept getting in my way!!
Old 05-20-2015, 08:10 PM
B. Schneid.
Ben Sch.neider

Got a steal on T206 PB Hofer and a common. Although not looking forward to the outrageously high shipping costs to come. Still, I do like the format of this auction. Just wish the added costs weren't so high.
Old 05-21-2015, 09:50 AM
J3ff Thr0m

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawpawdiv9 View Post
I did watch the WAJO portrait go for like 2,500. And then the Cobb batt/off, for those that knew, it had like 1/3 paper loss on the Piedmont back. Depsite the tobacco dots on the front, it still went for like 425?? i think.
I gave up after that.
Had to laugh when I read that...... because I was the one who bought the Cobb. My first Cobb and it's by far my least favorite pose of the 4. I had a max of 400 initially but the bidding was out of order....one of the reasons I hate incremental bidding.

Based on what I've seen these last several months, I think the price was good for it, even with the back. The front looks nice for the grade. If I overpaid, it's not by much....

First Cobb. Yay me.
Old 05-21-2015, 09:57 AM
Sean Costello

Jeff, if you can live with the back damage, I think it's a good buy at that price.
Old 05-21-2015, 10:01 AM
T0m C@rf@gn0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thromdog View Post
Had to laugh when I read that...... because I was the one who bought the Cobb. My first Cobb and it's by far my least favorite pose of the 4. I had a max of 400 initially but the bidding was out of order....one of the reasons I hate incremental bidding.

Based on what I've seen these last several months, I think the price was good for it, even with the back. The front looks nice for the grade. If I overpaid, it's not by much....

First Cobb. Yay me.
The front of that Cobb is beautiful. The paper loss on the back is very weird if I recall. Like very clean loss not from mounting in a scrapbook that tends to be messy looking. I remember thinking that it looked like something had been covering that part of the back when it was originally printed. Just my initial thought anyway when I saw it. Very clean paper loss if that makes sense.

Tom C
Old 05-21-2015, 10:10 AM
J3ff Thr0m

Cobb back.

Old 05-21-2015, 10:36 AM
Greg Mitchell

That 1916 WS program--got scared off because they had no scans of scorecards that are supposed to be inside............
Old 05-21-2015, 10:59 AM
T0m C@rf@gn0

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregMitch34 View Post
That 1916 WS program--got scared off because they had no scans of scorecards that are supposed to be inside............
I was apprehensive but the bidding from the floor put me a bit at ease. They take photos of very little at this place for some reason. Team signed 1931 A's ball was listed as "1930's" and one photo was provided with a list of 5 or 6 important names that were supposedly on the ball. None were pictured (although you could see Cochrane who was not listed!!). If I get it and the inside is not included I will try to get a refund.

Tom C
Old 05-21-2015, 12:03 PM
Chr!$ M!ll!c@n

Quote:
Originally Posted by btcarfagno View Post
I got three of the T206 multi card lots. Will be available as soon as they arrive and I can scan them. 20 PB backs and 10 Piedies. Also got the Red Man lot, Dick Tracy card lot, 1913 Red Sox ticket and 1916 World Series program.

Tom C
SOrry if i bid you up on the 1916 Red Sox program. I saw the back and it showed Ruth smack in the middle. Had no idea it go for 900.
As for the Cobb guy, glad you got your 1st, i had no intent to discredit how the front did look, despite the spots. It did deserve that price paid. What made you decide to pick that pose? and not the portraits?
I am doing a 4 cobb run, and i picked up the Red first, because i like his pose, and saved up a bit to afford a nice green one, i showed recently above. Now i working on the bat on/off versions. Trying to decide to do a all 'raw' showcase or not.

Last edited by pawpawdiv9; 05-21-2015 at 12:14 PM.
Old 05-21-2015, 12:10 PM
David Sims

I was going to bid on a few items until I saw the buyers premium and decided the prices were not as good as I thought. If the BP was about half of what it is I would have easily tried to spend my money.
Old 05-21-2015, 12:34 PM
Don Hontz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thromdog View Post

First Cobb. Yay me.
Talk about laughing---I consigned the T206 Cobb to the auction---I purchased it about a year ago in another auction house and paid more for it than it sold---You got a nice Ty Cobb Great front for the grade--the paper loss on the back held it back on the grade.
Old 05-21-2015, 12:39 PM
T0m C@rf@gn0

Quote:
SOrry if i bid you up on the 1916 Red Sox program. I saw the back and it showed Ruth smack in the middle. Had no idea it go for 900.
As for the Cobb guy, glad you got your 1st, i had no intent to discredit how the front did look, despite the spots. It did deserve that price paid. What made you decide to pick that pose? and not the portraits?
I am doing a 4 cobb run, and i picked up the Red first, because i like his pose, and saved up a bit to afford a nice green one, i showed recently above. Now i working on the bat on/off versions. Trying to decide to do a all 'raw' showcase or not.
Depending on the condition the program is worth $1,500 and up.

Tom C
Old 05-21-2015, 01:07 PM
J3ff Thr0m

Quote:
No problem! I thought it was funny because I debated that last bid which I felt was the breaking point on the piece.

Cobb bat on is my LEAST favorite of the Cobb T206 cards. But the front of that card is so darn good for a 10. I've held off buying the 4 Cobbs but am close to the end....this one just seemed to be the one I wanted for this pose.

Red pose is my favorite.....now if only I can find it in a low grade EPDG I would probably donate a kidney.
Old 05-26-2015, 01:27 PM
Luke Keeler

Received my cards today. Really quick shipping and was a lot smoother process then I had anticipated. Wish I would have bid on some of their earlier auctions now!
Old 05-26-2015, 01:59 PM
T0m C@rf@gn0

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKeeler View Post
Received my cards today. Really quick shipping and was a lot smoother process then I had anticipated. Wish I would have bid on some of their earlier auctions now!
Am hoping mine arrives soon. Paid within 10 minutes of getting invoice. They seem very accommodating there. I have won something in each of their last two auctions and will make sure they stay on my radar.

Tom C
Old 05-26-2015, 02:18 PM
J3ff Thr0m

Did they send a confirmation number from FedEx? I paid immediately too but never got a shipping number....
Old 05-26-2015, 02:29 PM
Luke Keeler

Jeff, I only remember getting a confirmation that my payment went through, nothing about shipping. I paid the 21st so it must have shipped immediately to get from Maine to Wyoming this quickly, with a holiday thrown in to boot.
Old 05-26-2015, 02:51 PM
J3ff Thr0m

Thanks Luke.....would be nice if today!
Old 05-26-2015, 03:07 PM
D0NN1E B

I received my card today.
Old 05-26-2015, 04:59 PM
T0m C@rf@gn0

I was told on Thursday that it would be shipped Tuesday (today). Called today and was told shipping manager is on vacation and person handling things could not answer my question right away and would need to call me back. No call back today.

This is not a complaint. My paying Thursday and even them taking week to ship out isn't terrible. My problem is that I have interested parties waiting on the contents and am going by what Saco told me regarding when it would be shipped.

Hearing that others who paid at the same time I did have already received their items whereas mine has not yet been shipped is a bit of a pisser though.

Tom C
Old 05-27-2015, 10:40 AM
B. Schneid.
Ben Sch.neider

I haven't received mine either and I paid immediately. You'd think with the high premium and the unusually high shipping costs, they would be shipped sooner.

I like the format of their auction, but not the added costs...especially if the items aren't shipped promptly.
Old 05-27-2015, 10:49 AM
Adam Goldenberg

Default Shipping

On the flip side, I just paid for my Heritage win from May 15. I expect to receive the package before the National, if I am fortunate.
Old 05-29-2015, 09:27 AM
J3ff Thr0m

I am a little disappointed this go-round with Saco. I called and they said the shipper will have it out on Monday.....via USPS Priority. I paid last Friday.

Between the delay and the cost, I'd definitely say it's disappointing.
Old 05-29-2015, 11:10 AM
Chr!$ M!ll!c@n

Thats sad to hear, I just got my Green Cobb today from Heritage. It ended like 10 days ago.