NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 01-05-2019, 12:45 PM
Jeff
Je.ff For.teza

Default Surviving Copies of the 1939 United States Card Collectors Catalog

I posted this thread over on the non-sport board. Dave Hornish suggested I add it here as well.

Hi. This year will mark the 80th anniversary of J.R. Burdick's inaugural run of the United States Card Collectors Catalog (subsequently named the American Card Catalog). Published June 1, 1939, Burdick produced only 500 copies which were reportedly personally bound by Burdick and his inner circle.

So it got me thinking....500 total copies. How many surviving copies might exist today?

I found 9. Any other unique front covers to add?

Jeff
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1939 ACC Tally.jpg (78.9 KB, 1473 views)
Old 01-05-2019, 03:28 PM
David Kathman

Second from the left on the bottom row looks like my copy.

Last edited by trdcrdkid; 01-05-2019 at 04:01 PM.
Old 01-05-2019, 05:33 PM
Robert Klevens

REA had this one too
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 39rea1.jpg (71.5 KB, 1400 views)
Old 01-05-2019, 05:36 PM
Robert Klevens

Found another one that appears to be different
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 39rea2.jpg (71.9 KB, 1408 views)
Old 01-05-2019, 05:47 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

I have one and will have to see if it is one listed. But these docs, shown before, seem pertinent to the thread too.

Old 01-05-2019, 06:04 PM
Jeff
Je.ff For.teza

David - I agree, your's is already pictured.

Robert - thanks for the submissions, however both are 1939 "Bulletins" and not the catalogs I'm seeking in this thread.

Great read Leon. Confirms the count. I'd like to pick-up a couple more for $.50 a piece.

Henry has one that is missing its cover. That brings the known count to 10.

There has to be several more held in personal collections. Let's seen them boys!

Jeff
Old 01-05-2019, 08:53 PM
Robert Klevens

Oops, I didn't even realize they said Bulletin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by teza11 View Post
David - I agree, your's is already pictured.

Robert - thanks for the submissions, however both are 1939 "Bulletins" and not the catalogs I'm seeking in this thread.

Great read Leon. Confirms the count. I'd like to pick-up a couple more for $.50 a piece.

Henry has one that is missing its cover. That brings the known count to 10.

There has to be several more held in personal collections. Let's seen them boys!

Jeff
Old 01-06-2019, 05:56 AM
Barry Sloate

I have to agree with Burdick on this one. Whenever I mount my cards into an album, I only use glue made of boiled up horses hoofs. I will only settle for the best.
Old 01-06-2019, 06:04 AM
David L.

Ha. That’s really interesting that Burdick talks about soaking cards.
Old 01-06-2019, 09:31 AM
Fr@nk Burke++

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrysloate View Post
I have to agree with Burdick on this one. Whenever I mount my cards into an album, I only use glue made of boiled up horses hoofs. I will only settle for the best.
Barry frequents that little sundry shoppe near Belmont Race Track, where he buys his Triple Crown Glue.

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Nearly*1000* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-24.
Over 680 sales with satisfied Board members served.
If you want fries with your order, just speak up.
Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 01-06-2019, 10:27 AM
Fred

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrysloate View Post
Time to call PETA?

Does anyone know how often updates were released? Sounds like a fun hobby collectible.
Old 01-06-2019, 01:19 PM
Barry Sloate

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankbmd View Post
Barry frequents that little sundry shoppe near Belmont Race Track, where he buys his Triple Crown Glue.
I actually have a big investment in a rendering factory. Nothing like the smell of glue early in the morning.
Old 01-06-2019, 02:52 PM
Mark Macrae

Here is a copy of mine, with the unique stain
Attached Images
File Type: jpg uscc.jpg (76.6 KB, 1101 views)
Old 01-06-2019, 03:34 PM
Jeff
Je.ff For.teza

Thanks Mark! That now brings the known count to a whopping 11... Who else can fill out the third row? Updated pic below.

Jeff
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1939 ACC Tally r3.jpg (74.0 KB, 1093 views)
Old 01-07-2019, 07:59 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Here is mine. I am not sure it's listed.

To the OP- Please quit PM'ing me with questions. Any question about the ACC can be asked here, publicly. Based on the PM's I hope this whole exercise wasn't to try to increase the value by showing how rare these are. They would be more valuable if there was more demand but many of these were kept over the years. Now, if you have ACC supplements, that is another level of scarcity but the value still isn't a ton due to lack of demand. Good luck either way. Many of us study the old history because we like it, not for any money that can be made from it.
Thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg accz.jpg (79.1 KB, 1045 views)
Old 01-07-2019, 06:22 PM
Jeff
Je.ff For.teza

Leon,

Your's does appear to be an add. That put's us at 12!

As for your other comments, I love the history of card collecting perhaps more than I do collecting cards. I feel pretty confident in saying that my thread is not news to anyone on here. We all know that the early ACC's are tough, especially 1939. No hidden agenda on my part. Feel free to delete this thread if you want.

Jeff
Old 01-07-2019, 06:36 PM
Jeff
Je.ff For.teza

Updated pic with Leon's added. Enjoy!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1939 ACC Tally r4.jpg (73.5 KB, 1012 views)
Old 01-07-2019, 06:39 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

No reason to delete a thread. I was just making a comment. Obviously myself and several others on the board enjoy studying the history of the hobby. And actually, even if it was only monetarily motivated, it's not a problem. I was sort of referring to all of the PMs (I guess from the non sports side) which I was a part of, somehow or another. But if you enjoy studying the history of the hobby for other than a flash ( of time) in the pan, all the better. The more the merrier. I am sure there are more than a few members who have one but won't really chime in. Most members don't post, they only read. To each their own. Happy Collecting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by teza11 View Post
Leon,

Your's does appear to be an add. That put's us at 12!

As for your other comments, I love the history of card collecting perhaps more than I do collecting cards. I feel pretty confident in saying that my thread is not news to anyone on here. We all know that the early ACC's are tough, especially 1939. No hidden agenda on my part. Feel free to delete this thread if you want.

Jeff
Attached Images
File Type: jpg acc1943b.jpg (78.2 KB, 1012 views)
Old 01-07-2019, 09:22 PM
Jeff
Je.ff For.teza

Thanks for posting the 1943 supplement Leon. I have not seen that. I have a 1949.

Jeff
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1949 ACC Suplement Page 1.jpg (81.0 KB, 990 views)
Old 01-07-2019, 10:24 PM
Eric Bea.chley

interesting now the 1943 Supplement values 66 cards at $2.00 a piece, of which the T206 Wagner and Plank are just two of them.
Old 01-10-2019, 07:22 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Burdick was always against the monetary aspect of collecting. He kept values down, in his catalogs, because of that. There are several different, yearly supplements known.

Quote:
Originally Posted by egbeachley View Post
interesting now the 1943 Supplement values 66 cards at $2.00 a piece, of which the T206 Wagner and Plank are just two of them.
Old 01-10-2019, 07:28 AM
Rich

I think, based on what I've read about him, Jeff Burdick would be very disappointed with the state of the hobby right now - counterfeit cards, reprints, trimmed cards and above all, astronomical prices, especially on vintage cards which were really what he loved, that have priced so many people out of the hobby. Burdick wanted collecting to be open for all and be for the sake of collecting, not investing.
Old 01-12-2019, 05:43 PM

Default Official 1939 catalogue reproductions?

I picked up a 'modern' (1990) Card Collectors Bulletin, published by Chris Benjamin, that advertises reprints of the US Card Collectors Catalog 1939. I've never seen any of these reproduction copies come up - does anyone know how many of the reproductions are knocking around?

And, while we're on the topic, does anyone know how the Burdick/Bray CCB become resurrected in this modern format? Does anyone keep records of the full list of CCBs extending into this more 'modern' era?

(screenshots below)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg img2s.jpg (72.7 KB, 929 views)
File Type: jpg img1s.jpg (85.0 KB, 933 views)
Old 01-12-2019, 08:42 PM
David Kathman

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim_uk View Post
I picked up a 'modern' (1990) Card Collectors Bulletin, published by Chris Benjamin, that advertises reprints of the US Card Collectors Catalog 1939. I've never seen any of these reproduction copies come up - does anyone know how many of the reproductions are knocking around?

And, while we're on the topic, does anyone know how the Burdick/Bray CCB become resurrected in this modern format? Does anyone keep records of the full list of CCBs extending into this more 'modern' era?
I've never seen Benjamin's reproduction of the 1939 USCCC, but I have some of his other spiral-bound publications from that period.

I have most, but not all, issues of Card Collector's Bulletin from the mid-1950s to the early 1980s. (Plus all from 1939-44 and all but a few from 1944-1950.) Unfortunately I don't have my list here with me, but I can look at it Monday. Charles Bray took over the editorship from Jefferson Burdick in mid-1949, on CCB's tenth anniversary, so that Burdick could focus on organizing, cataloguing, and mounting his card collection for the Metropolitan Museum of Art. (I posted Burdick's 1947-1949 articles about that process here: http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=240887 .) Starting in the late 1960s, there were fewer and fewer articles in CCB, and it became more and more just an auction listing. From the mid-1970s on, I don't remember seeing any articles in CCB other than brief news items and announcements from Bray. In the early 1980s, the format became more erratic, as did Bray's typing; he sometimes forgot to include the issue number, the date of the issue, and/or the ending date of the auction. The last issue I have is from 1982 or 1983, but I'm not sure if it's the last one that was published before Bray died in 1984. After his death, Chris Benjamin bought the rights to the Card Collector's Bulletin name and historical content, and in 1986 or 1987 he began publishing a new incarnation, which was much more focused on articles and no longer included an auction. I'm not sure how long that incarnation lasted, but I don't think it went past about 1993 or so; I have some but not all of those. I can look next week and see what issues I have.
Old 01-13-2019, 03:39 AM

Default Compiling an offical list of CCB issues and other publications ......

That's interesting to hear how Chris Benjamin picked up the rights to CCB. His issue numbering seems to follow on from the volume and issue# pattern established by Burdick and Bray - but no idea whether there is a smooth progression of issues.

It would be great if we could join forces to compile some form of official list of the hobby journal issues and start to create some form of orderly catalog of the hobby publications - starting from that first Burdick issue, or even the [8] articles he wrote in Hobbies - see George Vrechek article on early articles:
http://www.oldbaseball.com/refs/SCD_Hobbies.pdf

In the UK, I have catalogued (at least in my head!) most of the mainstream hobby publications, starting from a few that appeared in the 1930s. For example, the London Cigarette Card Company magazine (currently known as "Card Collectors News", but which has had several name changes over the years) has been issued continuously from October 1933, mostly monthly, and the January 2019 issue is number 892 (volume 80). There are a few mis-types and missing issues in many of these, based on loose editorship / illnesses / wartime intervention etc over the years - so the 'complete runs' are rarely smooth monthly / bi-monthly etc. So some care and research is required, to fill in all the gaps.

We would need a suitable location/place/forum to coordinate such an effort.

And it would also be great to then publish this, in due course, as a lasting record for similarly minded hobby history enthusiasts!

I'm new to net54baseball.com, but maybe we need a new thread for this to explore whether such an effort is possible .....
Old 01-13-2019, 09:08 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Well, happy to observe you aren't a flash in the pan about collecting and studying the (baseball) card collecting hobby. I don't know that a list of every hobby publication is even possible? There is no doubt both David and I (and many others) have some unique, or almost uniquely saved, publications. It would make it difficult to try to get them all. But it could be fun trying. And, if I am not mistaking, there was at least 1 1929 article, concerning collecting. George V and I have exchanged a lot of communications and information over the years. He is one of the best at studying Burdick and the early hobby.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim_uk View Post
That's interesting to hear how Chris Benjamin picked up the rights to CCB. His issue numbering seems to follow on from the volume and issue# pattern established by Burdick and Bray - but no idea whether there is a smooth progression of issues.

It would be great if we could join forces to compile some form of official list of the hobby journal issues and start to create some form of orderly catalog of the hobby publications - starting from that first Burdick issue, or even the [8] articles he wrote in Hobbies - see George Vrechek article on early articles:
http://www.oldbaseball.com/refs/SCD_Hobbies.pdf

In the UK, I have catalogued (at least in my head!) most of the mainstream hobby publications, starting from a few that appeared in the 1930s. For example, the London Cigarette Card Company magazine (currently known as "Card Collectors News", but which has had several name changes over the years) has been issued continuously from October 1933, mostly monthly, and the January 2019 issue is number 892 (volume 80). There are a few mis-types and missing issues in many of these, based on loose editorship / illnesses / wartime intervention etc over the years - so the 'complete runs' are rarely smooth monthly / bi-monthly etc. So some care and research is required, to fill in all the gaps.

We would need a suitable location/place/forum to coordinate such an effort.

And it would also be great to then publish this, in due course, as a lasting record for similarly minded hobby history enthusiasts!

I'm new to net54baseball.com, but maybe we need a new thread for this to explore whether such an effort is possible .....
Old 01-18-2019, 04:17 PM

Default CSGB library copy of the US 39 catalogue

The CSGB has a copy of the 1939 USA catalogue. I don't, however, have a photo of the front cover. You'll have to make do with the entry on the website, shown below. The CSGB library is here:
https://www.card-world.co.uk/referen...rials/library/
Attached Images
File Type: jpg US 39.jpg (59.9 KB, 802 views)
Old 01-18-2019, 07:28 PM
David Kathman

I'm a member of the Cartophilic Society of Great Britain and was in touch with their librarian a couple of years ago. Those books are stored away in his attic, somewhere in the Midlands, I think. I should try to e-mail him again, because he was going to photocopy some things for me.
Old 01-06-2022, 05:17 PM

Default Is this thread still live? My copy needs to be added

Younger generation here checking in. Going into to 2022 I've decided to change the way I go about collecting. I hate what the "new" collectors are doing. It's ruining this great hobby. Due to that, I've decided to focus on the "middle" period between WWI and WW2, starting with the 1933 Goudey set. I'm well on my way there and was also able to find an original 1939 ACC that I picked up.

It doesn't seem to be part of the group so I wanted to have it added.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1HjW...ew?usp=sharing
Old 01-06-2022, 08:06 PM
Val Kehl

Nice first post, and congrats on acquiring this important hobby pub!
Seeking very scarce/rare cards for my Sam Rice master collection, e.g., E210 York Caramel Type 2 (upgrade), 1931 W502, W504 (upgrade), W572 sepia, W573, W575-1 E. S. Rice version, 1922 Haffner's Bread, 1922 Keating Candy, 1922 Witmor Candy Type 2 (vertical back), 1926 Sports Co. of Am. with ad & blank backs. Also T216 Kotton "NGO" card of Hugh Jennings. Also 1917 Merchants Bakery & Weil Baking cards of WaJo.
Old 01-07-2022, 08:07 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbeCurry View Post
Younger generation here checking in. Going into to 2022 I've decided to change the way I go about collecting. I hate what the "new" collectors are doing. It's ruining this great hobby. Due to that, I've decided to focus on the "middle" period between WWI and WW2, starting with the 1933 Goudey set. I'm well on my way there and was also able to find an original 1939 ACC that I picked up.

It doesn't seem to be part of the group so I wanted to have it added.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1HjW...ew?usp=sharing
Agree, nice first post and welcome to the forum....I have 2 copies of the 1939 edition....plus a uniquely known letter announcing it.

Here is a thread concerning Burdick.

https://www.net54baseball.com/showth...Burdick+letter

Old 01-07-2022, 09:42 AM

Hi Leon,

Wow, such an incredible letter. Have you made it through the thousands of letters and other ephemera from the Wagner lot? Looks like you have some really great content to write a book
Old 01-07-2022, 09:54 AM
Hank Thomas

Such an interesting topic. I'll have to go back and search for other early hobby pubs threads.
Old 01-07-2022, 09:56 AM
J@mes Nonk.es

The Burdick letter is great. My favorite line: Give me all the dope and ideas you can think of.
Old 01-07-2022, 10:52 AM
David M.

I downloaded the entire catalog page by page from someone's website (or maybe it was posted on Net54). It is 112 individual pages. I don't remember who posted it, but it looks like the Dan Calandriello copy.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg United States Card Catalog Pg1.jpg (55.7 KB, 577 views)

Last edited by GasHouseGang; 01-07-2022 at 10:54 AM.
Old 01-07-2022, 06:48 PM
Jeff
Je.ff For.teza

Nice add Abe. Your copy has been added.

Jeff
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1939 ACC Tally r6.jpg (75.1 KB, 527 views)
Old 01-07-2022, 07:26 PM
Frank Wakefield

As stated above, Mr. Burdick would most likely be displeased with the current state of the hobby.

And as to his mention of soaking; people would have started soaking T206s soon after the cards came out. A collector gathers cards, pastes them into an album, then it isn't long until additional cards have been gathered which could lead to reorganizing the order on the pages. How many of us have moved cards a few spaces over in 9 or 15 pocket sheets? I truly believe that there are very few T206s that are in decent shape or better that didn't get soaked at some point. And I see nothing wrong with that.

Founding fathers... Burdick, Nagle, Wagner (the collector).

A wonderful letter, and thread. Kinda makes me wish I'd not gotten a hardbound, newer ACC; and had instead gotten that 1939 edition. Thanks for posting.
Old 04-15-2022, 11:18 AM

Default Just bought a 1939 copy off of ebay

Thanks for this post I used it to help authenticate a copy I was looking at that I believe to be legit. It just showed up in the mail and looks very clean. If I wanted to authenticate and possibly slab it similar to how comic books are slabbed, who would you all recommend? I believe CSG is the leader in comics but have no idea if they’d be able to deal in this. Thoughts?
Old 04-15-2022, 11:36 AM

Also happy to post pictures to add to this thread
Old 04-15-2022, 12:02 PM
Scott Russell

Quote:
Originally Posted by darb44 View Post
Thanks for this post I used it to help authenticate a copy I was looking at that I believe to be legit. It just showed up in the mail and looks very clean. If I wanted to authenticate and possibly slab it similar to how comic books are slabbed, who would you all recommend? I believe CSG is the leader in comics but have no idea if they’d be able to deal in this. Thoughts?
CGC is the portion of that company that does comics and magazines. I'm sure they'd love to grade it.
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions
Old 04-24-2022, 09:05 AM
Jeff
Je.ff For.teza

Updated image to include Brad's recent pick-up.

Jeff
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1939 ACC Tally r7.jpg (192.5 KB, 306 views)
Old 04-27-2022, 09:52 AM

Default Grading/Authenticating/Slabbing?

Hey all,

Here was my response from CGC... any other options you guys are aware of?

Brad

EMAIL RESPONSE:
Good morning Brad,

Thank you for reaching out to CGC Trading Cards. It looks like you have a very interesting collectible on your hands. Unfortunately, we would not be able to accept or grade this currently. We apologize for the inconvenience. Please let us know if you have any additional questions.

Crystal Matthews
Customer Service
Certified Collectibles Group
p. 941-360-3990 | f. 941-360-2553
collectiblesgroup.com
Old 09-15-2023, 12:18 AM
Robert Klevens

I've been wanting to add this historical book to my collection for years so I was thrilled to get this copy. I don't believe it is listed above.

Regards,
Robert Klevens
Attached Images
File Type: jpg acc.jpg (138.1 KB, 172 views)
Old 09-15-2023, 08:51 AM
Rocky Rockwell

Default Burdick Letter

Last paragraph first page…. “ Picking up small wants at good high rates is a loss of money as a rule. I get one occasionally and try to take it if I can get it right but most owners want about 10 times the real value.” Things haven’t really changed that much LOL 😂