NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 09-08-2018, 07:15 PM
Lucio Barbarino
Lu.cio Barb.arino

Default SGC is, with their new labels, balancing valuation with PSA. HARSH. Watch Video...

Man, these cards are all on the harsh side.

The Hack Wilson especially, was sold as a raw EX-MT by Probstein:

(https://www.ebay.com/itm/1933-Goudey...rdt=true&rt=nc)

, and I still can't disagree with them. An SGC 4.

Why is the Tris Speaker an A and not a 1? On the form I indicated "no", I don't want you to encapsulate an A card.. am I missing something?

1960 Topps McCovey I thought was a 6 all day. SGC 5.

The RObinson is the only one in the ballpark of what I expected.. this card was previously a BVG 5.5. SGC 5.

(Sorry for having the camera off-center for most of the video.):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x0Hw...ature=youtu.be

Last edited by luciobar1980; 09-08-2018 at 08:03 PM.
Old 09-08-2018, 07:27 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

There are some things that a magnifier will pick up which will show you why they are graded the way they are, would be my guess. Great looking cards.
Old 09-08-2018, 07:41 PM
Lucio Barbarino
Lu.cio Barb.arino

Ok, that's all well and good, as I even joke about not having a magnifying glass on me. Even still, I honestly believe SGC is trying to rebrand and reposition themselves with the new flip and harsher grading.

But, can someone once and for all explain why the Speaker is an A and not a 1, when I said NOT to encapsulate an A card on their form?
Old 09-08-2018, 07:41 PM
Manny
Banned

Surface gloss is one of the factors in grading. So it's not just corners and centering, but the surface quality. Harder to gauge than most variables.
Old 09-08-2018, 07:54 PM
Ben Silva
Ben Sil.va

Quote:
Originally Posted by luciobar1980 View Post
Ok, that's all well and good, as I even joke about not having a magnifying glass on me. Even still, I honestly believe SGC is trying to rebrand and reposition themselves with the new flip and harsher grading.

But, can someone once and for all explain why the Speaker is an A and not a 1, when I said NOT to encapsulate an A card on their form?
Because they made a mistake?
Old 09-08-2018, 08:02 PM
Lucio Barbarino
Lu.cio Barb.arino

Quote:
Originally Posted by bensie View Post
Because they made a mistake?
Did they? Because I honestly was unsure about it. Does it mean they think the card is altered, or not necessarily? It has pinholes but I cant imagine it's been altered (attempt at improvement) to be honest.

I'm sure there is something I'm missing on these cards, but that being said, still harshly graded IMO.

I'll be curious to hear more opinions when people start getting back SGC cards in the near future.
Old 09-08-2018, 08:38 PM
Lucio Barbarino
Lu.cio Barb.arino

I am almost ashamed to say it, but would a partial refund be a possibility/reasonable from Probstein on the Hack Wilson? They graded it EX-Mt, came back a 4.
Old 09-08-2018, 08:50 PM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Quote:
I am almost ashamed to say it, but would a partial refund be a possibility/reasonable from Probstein on the Hack Wilson? They graded it EX-Mt, came back a 4.
Woops double post.

Last edited by calvindog; 09-08-2018 at 08:55 PM.
Old 09-08-2018, 08:51 PM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Quote:
You thought it was a 6 so you obviously agreed with Probstein. And you paid a full 6 price. While I loathe Probstein, you expect him to guarantee what SGC will subjectively grade his cards?

Edited to add: if you were willing to pay a 6 price for a raw card, why not just buy an SGC 6? Wouldn't have cost you a penny more, you could have saved grading and postage fees and all that anxiety of waiting for your cards to be returned. Why take a chance of paying for the cost of a 6 when you believed the card was only destined for a 6 at best?

Last edited by calvindog; 09-08-2018 at 08:54 PM.
Old 09-08-2018, 09:12 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

Quote:
Either send back for a full refund, or eat it. You're probably outside your return window anyways. And if you do return it because it didn't grade what you expected, please leave your eBay handle so people who want to can add it to their block lists.
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.
Old 09-08-2018, 09:14 PM
Lucio Barbarino
Lu.cio Barb.arino

Was just bringing it up hypothetically. The Wilson is probably the most I’ve ever spent on a raw card, because it looked great. I did agree based on the auction pics, and still a bit baffled by the grade. That doesn’t mean that probstein couldn’t theoretically stand behind the grade they assigned. Ya know, the fact that the overwhelming majority of their cards are graded and this one wasn’t almost makes me suspicious that they saw something that I didn’t and still can’t see. Hmmm

Quote:
Originally Posted by calvindog View Post
You thought it was a 6 so you obviously agreed with Probstein. And you paid a full 6 price. While I loathe Probstein, you expect him to guarantee what SGC will subjectively grade his cards?

Edited to add: if you were willing to pay a 6 price for a raw card, why not just buy an SGC 6? Wouldn't have cost you a penny more, you could have saved grading and postage fees and all that anxiety of waiting for your cards to be returned. Why take a chance of paying for the cost of a 6 when you believed the card was only destined for a 6 at best?
Old 09-08-2018, 09:15 PM
Lucio Barbarino
Lu.cio Barb.arino

Dude, F off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarmee View Post
Either send back for a full refund, or eat it. You're probably outside your return window anyways. And if you do return it because it didn't grade what you expected, please leave your eBay handle so people who want to can add it to their block lists.
Old 09-08-2018, 09:17 PM
Lucio Barbarino
Lu.cio Barb.arino

Geez, It’s almost like some people are just waiting for the chance to jump at your throat. The internet.
Old 09-08-2018, 09:27 PM

I think it really depends on the grader at that respective company. Some are tough while others are more lenient. With the amount of volume these companies receive I honestly don't think there is a consistent standard.

Last edited by Orioles1954; 09-08-2018 at 09:28 PM.
Old 09-08-2018, 09:31 PM
Orlando Rodriguez

My rule of thumb is that if a raw card looks really good, it has probably been popped out of an unfavorable holder. But if you must take a chance, a second rule of thumb is to pay for it as if it were two grades lower than you think it may be.

Last edited by orly57; 09-08-2018 at 11:03 PM.
Old 09-08-2018, 09:32 PM
Lucio Barbarino
Lu.cio Barb.arino

Yeah, it looked so nice and I put some faith in Probstein.

Quote:
Originally Posted by orly57 View Post
My rule of thumb is that if a raw card looks really good, it’s probably been popped out of an unfavorable holder. But if you must take a chance, a second rule of thumb is to pay for it as if it were two grades lower than you think it may be.
Old 09-08-2018, 10:43 PM
Ben Silva
Ben Sil.va

Quote:
So crack it out and send to psa if sgc is too harsh.
Old 09-08-2018, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Geez, It’s almost like some people are just waiting for the chance to jump at your throat. The internet.
This thread is either the internet hating on you or it is free, yet wise, advice regarding your assumptions about buying raw cards online. You decide.
Old 09-08-2018, 11:55 PM
Lucio Barbarino
Lu.cio Barb.arino

Everyone is taking my words and distorting them so I’ll just stop.
Old 09-08-2018, 11:55 PM
Mike P.ap

Default ????????????

Lucio,

What stands out to me the most (and I am being critical) is that you ask for honest opinions on your cards.......yet.........the video takes a full 80 seconds to even get to the first card...........then when you get to the Wilson, you spend a whopping 10 seconds on showing us the actual card. Well not really since you show us literally nothing significant to base our opinion on.

If you REALLY wanted our honest and subjective opinions why didn't you just re-shoot the video and actually show us something we could comment on? You admittedly tell us your camera skills were poor but you still show us the video which does not help at all.

The Wilson appears to be a very interesting card to discuss, analyze, and to give our opinions on but you don't help us at all. An Ebay page is a pretty basic tool. A nice video would have been great.

Just IMO, my 2 cents, peace,

Mike

PS In other words, your thread could have been very interesting but the tools you provided us to assist were lacking. I appreciate your effort. Nice cards BTW.

Last edited by vthobby; 09-08-2018 at 11:58 PM.
Old 09-09-2018, 12:00 AM
Lucio Barbarino
Lu.cio Barb.arino

Sorry, the video was not really meant to be a detailed look at the cards. I just thought it would be fun to show my actual reactions. I’ll post a few pics tomorrow. I’m sure there is something I’m missing on the Wilson, I should have looked over it better before sending it in for grading, I admit that.
Old 09-09-2018, 12:06 AM
Mike P.ap

Default Fair enough.....

Ok, this is my opinion on the Wilson only.

Without any other defects like OC, Staining, Print Defects etc......,this card is a straight 6. I think you thought the same thing in the video?

However, it does have some slight staining on the borders, and the print dot on the front up top to the right. Print circle? I understand that 1933 Goudey's do have these issues occasionally but to me this card is a 6 PD or a 6 ST which technically puts it 2 grades below a 6. Hence the 4 grade.

I believe if this as sent to PSA it would be a 4 or a PSA 6 (ST) or PSA 6 (PD).

Now why did Probstein call it EX/MT? Because on the surface it does exhibit a strong EX/MT appearance. Of course the ST or the PD could be subjective based on personal opinion or tolerances. To each his own I guess.

Thanks for posting, Mike

Last edited by vthobby; 09-09-2018 at 12:07 AM.
Old 09-09-2018, 12:40 AM
Greg

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtgmsc View Post
Ok, this is my opinion on the Wilson only.

Without any other defects like OC, Staining, Print Defects etc......,this card is a straight 6. I think you thought the same thing in the video?

However, it does have some slight staining on the borders, and the print dot on the front up top to the right. Print circle? I understand that 1933 Goudey's do have these issues occasionally but to me this card is a 6 PD or a 6 ST which technically puts it 2 grades below a 6. Hence the 4 grade.

I believe if this as sent to PSA it would be a 4 or a PSA 6 (ST) or PSA 6 (PD).

Now why did Probstein call it EX/MT? Because on the surface it does exhibit a strong EX/MT appearance. Of course the ST or the PD could be subjective based on personal opinion or tolerances. To each his own I guess.

Thanks for posting, Mike
Add to that three of the four back corners have noticeable fraying without putting it under light or high magnification and on the back above the 211 there is a small bit of the top border that is flaking off.

That McCovey is nearly missing an entire border. Never gonna 6.

Roy Campanella
Zack Wheat
Pre-War
Jackie, Ruth, Cobb, Tickets, Type 1 Photos, Trout

http://plaschkethysweaterisargyle.blogspot.com

Roy Campanella PC
Zack Wheat PC
Random Vintage
T206s

Successful Net54 Transactions: 10
Old 09-09-2018, 02:08 AM
Ro.b Gui.1fo.y1e

Quote:

My experience is to be very careful when buying ungraded cards from Probstein. He has a 30 day return policy, which is great. But he doesn’t provide a very good description like PWCC does if it is a nice ungraded card.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-09-2018, 03:32 AM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Location: https://www.psacard.com/psasetregistry/mysetregistry/set/348387

Again, all of this difference of opinion shoes the value of third party graders...man all of the returns that would happen before them on disagreements on 'EX' etc..

however, isn't a PSA 6 (st) still considered 'EX' So a PSA 4 with no qualifier can still be the same as PSA 6 'EX' with non mentioned qualifier when selling a raw card....so isn't in fact any EX card with a qualifier still considered an EX?

I have not seen anyone ever say their raw card is a 'EX-st-mk' etc...they just say EX... They just say look at the pictures etc and dont mention an 'EX with qualifier, and thats when i email them during the auction to say anything up with the card as i cant tell by the pictures...

Last edited by 1952boyntoncollector; 09-09-2018 at 03:33 AM.
Old 09-09-2018, 03:35 AM
P@trick R.omolo

FWIW it looks like Beckett gave the Wilson a 4 in a raw review before
it was "cleaned up" a little.

Wilson Beckett 4.jpg

Wilson Goudey.jpgWilson Beckett Goudey.jpg

Wilson Goudey Back.jpgWilson Beckett Goudey Back.jpg

Wilson Goudey - Pair.jpg

Wilson Goudey Back - Copy.jpg
Old 09-09-2018, 06:35 AM
Lou Simcoe
L0u Sim.coe

Great looking cards!

Despite the grades, if you ever decide to sell them, some potential buyers / buyers will look past the grades and focus solely on the card itself.

They'll buy the card, not the holder.

Niced cards will still bring the price.
Old 09-09-2018, 08:41 AM
pete ullman

I just got some results from my latest sgc submissions...and am quite disappointed on a few as well!! I finally got my cj wajo graded...and was not happy!!!
Old 09-09-2018, 09:11 AM
Anson

I think all TPG are trying to tighten up. Nobody wants the reputation for being the softest. What I've learned is, the toughest grades are on this forum.
Old 09-09-2018, 10:44 AM
Lucio Barbarino
Lu.cio Barb.arino

Oh wow! How do you know this/how did you find that out? I mean that's definitely the card.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat R View Post
FWIW it looks like Beckett gave the Wilson a 4 in a raw review before
it was "cleaned up" a little.

Attachment 328148

Attachment 328141Attachment 328142

Attachment 328143Attachment 328144

Attachment 328145

Attachment 328146
Old 09-09-2018, 10:46 AM
Lucio Barbarino
Lu.cio Barb.arino

Yeah, I really think this is the case, and why not start tightening up to coincide with the new labels?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Throttlesteer View Post
I think all TPG are trying to tighten up. Nobody wants the reputation for being the softest. What I've learned is, the toughest grades are on this forum.
Old 09-09-2018, 10:46 AM
Lucio Barbarino
Lu.cio Barb.arino

I'd be curious to see the card! Post pics if you can!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ullmandds View Post
I just got some results from my latest sgc submissions...and am quite disappointed on a few as well!! I finally got my cj wajo graded...and was not happy!!!
Old 09-09-2018, 10:55 AM
P@trick R.omolo

Quote:
Oh wow! How do you know this/how did you find that out? I mean that's definitely the card.
Just 10-15 minutes of research.
Old 09-09-2018, 11:03 AM
Sean Fitze
Se.an Fi.tze

I hope they don't go like PSA or I will just have to keep my 53 Bowman set raw.
Old 09-09-2018, 11:11 AM
Lucio Barbarino
Lu.cio Barb.arino

Can someone else comment on the Tris Speaker? The seller was bbcemporium and it was part of what they called the "Delaware Find", which was an original owner collection. For that reason I really can't believe it was trimmed. Furthermore, when I submitted, I said "NO", please do not slab any cards deemed "A". It's crazy that I still don't understand this. Do they this card is altered? It does have small pinhole if that makes a difference. In the auction listing they said:

"Since the card has pinholes, it will receive an automatic grade of 1 from all major third party authenticators. For this reason, we are not having these cabinet cards graded and will offer them ungraded. We stand 100% behind their authenticity and will provide a full refund if a PSA or SGC deems otherwise."

Last edited by luciobar1980; 09-09-2018 at 11:14 AM.
Old 09-09-2018, 11:21 AM
Lucio Barbarino
Lu.cio Barb.arino

Would you mind posting a link as I cannot find the thread or posting this all came from.

Quote:
Old 09-09-2018, 11:22 AM
Lucio Barbarino
Lu.cio Barb.arino

SO.. you guys would not be perturbed in my shoes? Probstein calls it a 6.0 when it was previously a 4.0 raw reviewed Beckett, I get it graded by SGC and it comes back a 4. It's all on me huh?
Old 09-09-2018, 11:40 AM
Lar.ry Buch.heim

You said in your video the Speaker would be a "1" or Authentic because of the pin holes. Are you disappointed in the grade or the fact they encased it, because a screwdriver will solve the case real fast.

On the Wilson, if it came back a "5" would you still be mad? If you think it's high just crack and resubmit it.

The '33 Hack Wilson is notoriously off centered and this one is near perfect...JUST ENJOY IT!!
Old 09-09-2018, 11:46 AM
P@trick R.omolo

Quote:
Would you mind posting a link as I cannot find the thread or posting this all came from.
It wasn't in a thread or post just some old fashion card research.

I should add that I was being facetious about it getting cleaned
up a little as it looks like it had a serious cleaning and was
possibly bleached after the Beckett review.
Old 09-09-2018, 11:51 AM
Peter Spaeth

I just got back a small group of nonsports. I thought the grading was harsh, but very consistent in that their ranking of the cards matched mine very closely. It is what it is and I am fine with it as these are just for my collection anyhow.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg armstrong64.jpg (37.6 KB, 334 views)

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 09-09-2018 at 11:53 AM.
Old 09-09-2018, 11:59 AM
Peter Spaeth

Another nice thing about SGC on the NS side is that they are willing to do the research to grade cards PSA would just kick back as not already in their database.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 09-09-2018, 12:08 PM
Ben Silva
Ben Sil.va

Quote:
SO.. you guys would not be perturbed in my shoes? Probstein calls it a 6.0 when it was previously a 4.0 raw reviewed Beckett, I get it graded by SGC and it comes back a 4. It's all on me huh?
uh, yes, it's all on you. You got greedy and took a gamble, hoping to flip a card and make some extra cash. Who knows where probstein got that card. How are they supposed to know it was raw card reviewed?

It's like they say, you can't cheat an honest man. You made a bad purchase here. Caveat emptor, chalk this up as a lesson and move on.
Old 09-09-2018, 12:13 PM
Lucio Barbarino
Lu.cio Barb.arino

Ok, touche'. It's possible (and probably likely) Probstein had no idea. Saying I got "greedy" and assuming I was going to flip the card? That's all on you bud and what you are bringing to the conversation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bensie View Post
uh, yes, it's all on you. You got greedy and took a gamble, hoping to flip a card and make some extra cash. Who knows where probstein got that card. How are they supposed to know it was raw card reviewed?

It's like they say, you can't cheat an honest man. You made a bad purchase here. Caveat emptor, chalk this up as a lesson and move on.

Last edited by luciobar1980; 09-09-2018 at 12:18 PM.
Old 09-09-2018, 12:16 PM
Lucio Barbarino
Lu.cio Barb.arino

Well, if you read it carefully they say it would come back a 1, and that they stand behind it behind authentic, not that it would come back authentic. But that's not a big deal. I'm more just confused WHY this came back as A and not a 1, and always have been confused about this.

Does the A mean they think it is altered as in Trimmed/Recolored or would the pinholes themselves be considered an Alteration??

Quote:
Originally Posted by PiratesWS1979 View Post
You said in your video the Speaker would be a "1" or Authentic because of the pin holes. Are you disappointed in the grade or the fact they encased it, because a screwdriver will solve the case real fast.

On the Wilson, if it came back a "5" would you still be mad? If you think it's high just crack and resubmit it.

The '33 Hack Wilson is notoriously off centered and this one is near perfect...JUST ENJOY IT!!
Old 09-09-2018, 12:19 PM
Lucio Barbarino
Lu.cio Barb.arino

I will! It's a beautiful card, no matter the technical grade.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PiratesWS1979 View Post

Old 09-09-2018, 12:27 PM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
You have to remember Probstein, and whoever else is in the business of making money.
Most people talk up/describe things in their favor when they are selling automobiles, their house, atvs, dirt bikes, boats just to name a few.

I have never dealt with Probstein and likely never will based on what I have read here about him, but that is me.

With that being said, I agree, your 4 looks like it was graded tough.
I have never sent any of my cards in to get graded, and now, seeing the grades you received, I am even less likely to do that now?
Old 09-09-2018, 01:17 PM
Lou Simcoe
L0u Sim.coe

Lucio,

I assume you already know this, but just in case.....all of the major Ebay and auction sellers submit very large quantities of cards for grading.

If a card comes back graded lower than what they believe it should be, the card will likely get cracked and sold raw.

You have some great looking cards!
Old 09-09-2018, 01:33 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
False modesty. I have never seen someone as adept at tracking down a card's history as Pat.

Old 09-09-2018, 01:35 PM
Peter Spaeth

Buy raw with caution especially from graded card sellers. It's as simple as that.

Old 09-09-2018, 03:10 PM
Tyler Smith
Tyler Sm.ith

Quote:
You’re acting outrageous man. You bought a raw card and it graded lower than expected. Disappointing but not really a big deal. As for the A vs 1, I’m surprised you don’t know that any alteration, including pinholes, should get an A and not a numerical grade. I believe this is the policy for both psa and sgc. And going off on people who are calling you out on your nonsense is ridiculous.

Last edited by ronniehatesjazz; 09-09-2018 at 03:11 PM.