NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 02-13-2007, 06:23 AM
Administrator

Default T210 Rarity Debate

Posted By: William Turner

Since I recently became intersted in these cards I noticed that there are disagreements over what the rarest of the eight series in the set are. Some collectors say that series 7 is the rarest while others say that series 8 is the rarest, and what about series 6 for that matter. I was just wondering what everyone's opinion on this issue is.

Thanks

William

Old 02-13-2007, 06:45 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Bill Stone

Boy we are really on a T210 phase here. I don't think we can ever know for certain on the question of rarity--since I concentrate on Series 6 it seems to me that is the hardest to find but I am sure that those who are trying to complete 5, 7 and 8 would legitimately claim they are the hardest--I do seem to see Series 2 more frequently than the others --I guess it is in the eye of the collector !

Old 02-13-2007, 07:05 AM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

From watching what trades hands, and is sold in auctions and on ebay, I would guess that the 6,7,8 series are all tough...with 7 and 8 being seen less often than the others. Not to totally hijack this thread, but I don't want to start yet another T210 thread, how rare are yellow bordered T210 cards? Not orange, but yellow. I saw one yesterday in a private collection (awesome collection) and was floored by it. I saw several orange bordered ones but the yellow was awesome....anyone seen others?

Old 02-13-2007, 07:13 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Joe Jones

I think that only series 3 can be found with a yellowish border, but correct me if I am wrong. There was one on the large t206/t210 display that was on ebay last month.

Old 02-13-2007, 07:22 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Jay

William --Did you get the email I sent regarding the series 6 card?

Jay

Old 02-13-2007, 08:19 AM
Administrator

Posted By: William Turner

Yes I did recieve your email from earlier with your address information. I am waiting for my tax return to come in so I will have enough spare money for the price of the card. I will be in touch soon. Also, thanks for everyone's comments. I really love this board.

William

Old 02-13-2007, 08:27 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Tom Boblitt

That T210 Set was completely registered--right?

Old 02-13-2007, 08:31 AM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

Had I mentioned "Registry" to this gentleman he probably would have put his glasses on and said "it's out of register?"

Old 02-13-2007, 11:35 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Bob

I picked up an orange border T210 in a recent David Bryan auction and was frankly surprised at the lack of bidding. It was an SGC 40 with no creases and appeared undergraded (we know how tough SGC can be). For a while there, orange border cards really brought a premium, I was surprised at the bidding nonchalance on this card. That's fine though, i wish collectors would get nonchalant about all the sets I am collecting.
On another topic, I know that many collectors and a good number on this board are Jewish and I was just wondering how many pursued pre-war cards of Jewish ballplayers in particular. I have seen price spikes on some players from several sets that isn't reflected by similar players in the set who are not Jewish.

Old 02-13-2007, 11:36 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Bob

With regard to rarity, I still believe that series 6 cards are the toughest to find, even tougher than 7s and 8s, but that is just my opinion.

Old 02-14-2007, 06:51 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Frank Wakefield

I've been thinking about this.... Mr. Lipset had series 8 the most difficult. Maybe that was true 30 years ago. Might still be true.

Might be that 30 years ago hardly anyone chased after T210s at all, and of those that did the series 8 cards were more popular than the series 6 cards. Series 8 cards depict players in a higher level of baseball, and have more eventual major leaguers. The players are more recognizable, as are the cities. Few of the guys made it to the majors, and they all played in little towns. This would all make series 8 cards more popular.

Both 6 and 8 are very difficult to complete, because 6 has Stengel and 8 has Jackson.

I think that sometimes, as prices on cards vary, it is very much about the change in demand out there, instead of the relative supply.

It seems that completing either series in a considerable endeavor, one that can't be accomplished merely by throwing money at it.

Frank

Old 02-14-2007, 07:47 PM
Administrator

Posted By: eric p.

i have owned about 1000 t210's in the last 7 years, i have had 2 stengels in that time, there's a difference between which series is tougher to complete and which series is tougher to locate as a single card, there's a member on the board who is only 1 card away from completing all 8 series, and the card he is missing is not from series 8,7 or 6, if i took an educated guess i would say that there's less than 50 cards that exist of each player from series 8,7,6 and 5 (series 5 is much tougher than you think), less than 70 cards from series 4, less than 125 from series 3 and less than 250 from series 1 and 2, those estimates are on the high side, there's only 1 known t210 set to exist and a rumor of a second to exist.

Old 02-14-2007, 09:01 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dave

I think there are probably more T210's out there that have still been "unfound". My experience with these cards is tjhat series 5 was always the toughest to locate cards for.
On a side note about rarity ; I was recently talking with some long time collector friends in New Orleans....they personally know of thousands of T cards that were destroyed by the hurricane, and just think about how many others that were unknown were lost. My friend Greg lost several Red Suns and other T card rarities to Katrina.

Old 02-14-2007, 09:38 PM
Administrator

Posted By: robert a

Eric.

Thanks for that interesting information.

Leon.

A yellow bordered t210 ended on ebay last month hidden in a lot.
First time I had ever seen one.

Rob