NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 08-14-2002, 08:00 PM
Administrator

Default 1933 DeLong

Posted By: Brock Ehmer

New here, and rather fresh back into the hobby of collecting. I am interested in vintage. The cards I wanted when I was a kid, but couldn't afford. Now I might be able to get a few here and there. Curious to know a little about the 1933 DeLong cards. Pretty much just want to know how heavy these are reprinted, and/or counterfieted. Any thoughts would be helpful.

Old 08-15-2002, 07:03 AM
Administrator

Default 1933 DeLong

Posted By: leon

Welcome to the Vintage board. Always nice to have some new blood come along. From my experience I have not seen any reprints of the Delongs. I would not doubt that there are some, especially possible from Larry Fritsch (King of Reprints-but not in a bad way), but I haven't seen any fakes being pawned off lately....as far as the set goes it is fairly widely collected and fairly scarce (as you know).....good luck in your endeavors and "go get 'em !!" best regards

Old 08-15-2002, 07:55 AM
Administrator

Default 1933 DeLong

Posted By: Mike Williams

Notice the wide borders....
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1850565573

Take care and welcome!

Mike

Old 08-15-2002, 08:51 AM
Administrator

Default 1933 DeLong

Posted By: goudey guy

A few years ago I came by a few that were pretty good quality reprints. The stock on them were thinner, but the cards looked aged and there was a spot on the back that probably contained the word "reprint", but it was scratched out. Incidentally, the cards had a dried yellowy glue on the back to make it appear as if it was removed from an album. So they do exist. Don't buy one unless you can see the backside and/or the thickness, or..just buy from a reputable seller.

Old 08-15-2002, 09:17 AM
Administrator

Default 1933 DeLong

Posted By: Tom

reprints too.....went to look at what I THOUGH was a nice vintage collection of T206's, Delongs and Goudeys locally only to find out they were worthless reprints. The card stock is definitely thinner and glossy (although the gloss can be removed by 'aging'). The original Delongs are pretty easy to tell from the reprints. The repints do have the tagline 'reprint' on the back, and like most other reprint scammers, they erase that and then age it somehow and try to pass off as real. My advice would be go to a large show and look at and touch some 'real' ones before trying to buy online. Also buy online from people who have good reputations if possible or buy only graded cards. Someone had some nice VG to VGEX Delongs that were SGC graded lately on ebay. I definitely feel Derek at SGC and those folks know their vintage cards MUCH better than PSA when it comes to this but the Delong reprints shouldn't be slabbed as they're pretty easy to detect.

Old 08-15-2002, 09:18 AM
Administrator

Default 1933 DeLong

Posted By: leon

Funny how this happens on the board. I knew I did not know the answer for Brock. I saw that he had not gotten a response so decided to just say my experience. I knew that when I did that, then some other kind folks would chirp in with the correct info.....sort of "pschology 102".... and Brock is a new guy and sometimes our new guys get overlooked a little.....thanks to the folks that corrected me ....and as always best regards

Old 08-16-2002, 08:44 PM
Administrator

Default 1933 DeLong

Posted By: Thomas

I love this set, but it is tough to complete. I only need 9 more cards to complete it but have run into a brick wall as far as finding the ones I need in the condition I can afford. The 15 cards I do own range from poor to very good.
As far as reprints go. I see alot of those Dover reprints on EBAY usually listed as such. But occasionally someone tries to pass them off as legit. But, like others have said here, the very wide borders give them away. Also the colors are extremly bright on the reprints.
I went to see the "Baseball as America" exhibit at the Museum of Natural History in NYC today and they had a nice Delong Lefty O'doul(also a nice Bill Terry but I don't need that one)among the baseball cards on display. Wonder what the chances of the HOF letting me have that card is?

Take care,
Thomas

Old 08-17-2002, 12:20 PM
Administrator

Default 1933 DeLong

Posted By: Bob Lemke

As long as the topic has been raised . . . I recently received a serious inquiry from a veteran dealer concerning the actual measurerments of DeLongs. We quote 2" x 3" in the SCBC. Can those who have cards which you're certain haven't been trimmed come on and quote measurements to the nearest 1/32nd"? Thanks much!

Old 08-17-2002, 03:06 PM
Administrator

Default 1933 DeLong

Posted By: John Wojak

Bob, I have a full set and I'll measure them and see how they fall. As to the reprints, yes, they are out there, but they tend to have wider borders than the originals and be on thinner paper than the originals. Originals are on fairly coarse paper, sort of like Goudeys and Diamond stars, but a touch thinner.