NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 08-16-2002, 03:29 PM
Administrator

Default What Series Are From the Pre-War Era?

Posted By: James

Was wondering what series of cards fall into the pre-war era?

I know about "T" and "E" but are there others? All I have right now for a reference is Beckett Baseball Card Annual #3 (from about 1998) and cards are listed by manufacturer and not year.

Thanks

Old 08-16-2002, 03:35 PM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

There are hundreds. I strongly recommend you get the Krause Sports Collectors Digest- Baseball.....I would wait for the new one coming out in a few months....ther are "N" cards which are 19th century tobacco, D cards which are bakery, F cards which are Ice Cream, etc etc etc......just too many to list....good luck and best regards

Old 08-16-2002, 03:38 PM
Administrator

Posted By: BcD

tear out all the pages of post 1921 cards and there you will have about 80% of the cards you are wanting to know about.the rest can be found in thw original 1958*** ACC ( American card catalog ). I have two left! One for me and one for Leon's stocking at Christmas!

Old 08-16-2002, 08:13 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Julie Vognar

Not for the prices, but for the checklists--even though they aren't perfect, there're the best thing going. Pictures are pretty good, too.

If you're looking up prices, they'll usually be within 4K of what the thing actually goes for. Prices in a price guide are a joke.

SCD (how can such an inane magazine do something so useful???)also has the advantage of having a chronological as well as alphabetical index. so if you're not quite sure of the name, but have a 5-year span, you can almost always find it.

Old 08-16-2002, 08:16 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Julie Vognar

spend a few hours going through the first third of the guide (that's everything before 1980).

EVERYTHING isn't in it, but damn near.

Old 08-16-2002, 09:02 PM
Administrator

Posted By: brian parker

Everything that has been mentioned above is correct, but thought I would provide the complete title for this book to make it a little easier for you to track it down. The book is called the Standard Catalog of Baseball Cards. It is issued yearly by Krause Publications and is edited by Bob Lemke, a contributor to this board. Since it sounds like you are relatively new to the vintage bb card world, I would think the 2002 edition would be just fine, as you can pick it up now. You can find it at most of the big chain bookstores, and I imagine also on-line at Amazon, etc. This catalog, along with the three volumes in one The Encyclopedia of Baseball Cards by Lew Lipset (can be found on ebay for around $30.00, and is extremely informative as it gives detailed analyses of 'N', 'T' and 'E' card series) are the two must have books for anyone serious about collecting and acquiring knowledge about Pre-WW2 cards.

Brian