NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Hockey, Olympic, Auto Racing And All Other Cards

Old 01-10-2019, 01:07 PM
Chuck Zso.lnai

Default white whale landed !

I had been searching for this card which I have only seen once before.

World record goals/game holder. Franz "Bimbo" Binder. Austria/Germany and Rapid

2018-12-21-11-11-28

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Franz_Binder
Set in progress: 1994 Upper Deck World Cup autographed
Set in progress: 1938 Konig Fussball
Sub set in progress: 1910-12 Sweet Caporal pins - Philadelphia Athletics - 4 of 11 complete (need: Baker, Murphy, Plank, Krause, Davis)

Successful transactions:
aro13
edsj
commishbob
jpaol99
Gonzo,
abroom
Brianp-beme
Dboneesq
Chris Counts
xplainer
Bobbyw8469

Last edited by Copa7; 01-10-2019 at 01:12 PM.
Old 01-10-2019, 03:53 PM
J.
Jonathan Rys.kamp

Default Awesome!!!

Congrats on the pickup. It’s always fun to get a card crossed off the list.

Would you also please post a view of the back? I’d love to see which variation it is.

Question: Why was this card a white whale for you? This set is not overly rare or hard to come by.
Old 01-10-2019, 03:57 PM
$cott Cl1nt0n

Congratulations Chuck!

Personally, I don't know much about that set but you can bet whenever I land a long sought after card, I'll be singing it from the rooftops.
Old 01-12-2019, 09:05 AM
Chuck Zso.lnai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Collect Equity View Post
Congrats on the pickup. It’s always fun to get a card crossed off the list.

Would you also please post a view of the back? I’d love to see which variation it is.

Question: Why was this card a white whale for you? This set is not overly rare or hard to come by.
2018-12-21-11-13-01

Here is a picture of the back. There are at least 4 variations on the reverse sponsors. While you say the set is not rare, I have two albums from this series. Neither has a slot for this and several of the Austrian players who were "annexed" to the German league and then to the German National Team. So while some cards may be abundant, others may be in a later series that appears to be scarce.

If you have other information on this set, if be interested.
Sub set in progress: 1910-12 Sweet Caporal pins - Philadelphia Athletics - 4 of 11 complete (need: Baker, Murphy, Plank, Krause, Davis)

Successful transactions:
aro13
edsj
commishbob
jpaol99
Gonzo,
abroom
Brianp-beme
Dboneesq
Chris Counts
xplainer
Bobbyw8469
Old 01-12-2019, 11:28 AM
J.
Jonathan Rys.kamp

Default Great Info!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copa7 View Post
While you say the set is not rare, I have two albums from this series. Neither has a slot for this and several of the Austrian players who were "annexed" to the German league and then to the German National Team. So while some cards may be abundant, others may be in a later series that appears to be scarce.
That is really interesting to note. I only collect 3 cards from this set (see my previous post on this), so I am not familiar with the set as a whole. Can you share which cards are easier and harder to find?

Maybe others can chime in and share this as well, so that we can share this knowledge.

Also, since I am trying for a master set of backs for the 3 players I collect, I'd love any information on which backs others find the most rare.

Are you also going for all 4 backs of every player in order to call the set complete?

Quote:
If you have other information on this set, if be interested.
Here are the best resources I am aware of for this set:
  1. Current Checklist: https://cartophilic-info-exch.blogsp...ssball-09.html
  2. Back Variations:https://cartophilic-info-exch.blogsp...-fussball.html
  3. Detailed Set Info:http://www.csogb.co.uk/Reference/Mul...igFussball.php

By the way, on the csogb.co.uk site link above, there is a matrix with each card being listed as "U, T, Z" but I can't figure out what that designation is referring to. Can anyone help me out on this?

I too am really interested in this set and would love any knowledge that people can share on it. Thanks to everyone for helping us learn more about these classic old sets!!!!
Old 01-12-2019, 01:26 PM

It wasn't clear to me either at first but I took the U, T, Z to refer to the cigarette factory in bold at the foot of the card. U is for Union (Ramona & Nilprincess backs), T for Turbacco (Turbacco & Nordmark) & Z for Zepter (Solo).

I have a Binder with the same back too. I wonder whether is there is an order to the back variations, eg is it based on location or date of release. FWIW most of the dozen or so "Ausland" & "Ostmark" I have are on the 2 narrow Ramon / Nilprincess variations.
Old 01-12-2019, 02:26 PM

Congrats, Chuck! Cool looking card.
Old 01-12-2019, 02:43 PM
J.
Jonathan Rys.kamp

Default Ditto

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelimey View Post
FWIW most of the dozen or so "Ausland" & "Ostmark" I have are on the 2 narrow Ramon / Nilprincess variations.
I agree that the most common seem to be the two "NilPrincess / Ramona (narrow)" variations.
Old 01-12-2019, 03:22 PM
J.
Jonathan Rys.kamp

Default New Variations???

I was comparing the variations of the backs of my cards, and I noticed what seems to be already known, but not cataloged variations.

On the two Narrow NilPrincess / Ramona variations, the primary identification of a difference between them is the with and without the "In Vorbereitung" clause. And on this site, both of the examples of the middle paragraphs begin with the word "Sammelalbum."

However, in looking at my cards I have another Narrow NilPrincess / Ramona without "In Vorbereitung" clause variation and in the middle section it begins with the word 'Prachtv' in the first paragraph and 'Dazu' instead of 'Zu' in the second paragraph.

When I looked at the back examples listed on Alan Jenkins' site, he shows this same back in his example.

So there are is a new variation right there.

Additionally, it appears that the Solo no "In Vorbereitung" clause "Postscheckkonto" on this site also contains the "Prachtv-Dazu" opening words but the one on Alan's site does not, which means there is another variation again.

In a very small sample 2 of the 15 known variations include the "Prachtv-Dazu" wording (including two different brands), so my guess is that other variations also include the "Prachtv-Dazu" wording as well - potentially this could even double the variation count.

This means that the number of variations now has jumped to at least 17, with a whole bunch more possible:
  1. 08 Turbaco (Blue) - with "In Vorbereitung" clause
  2. 08 Turbaco - with "In Vorbereitung" clause
  3. 08 Turbaco (Blue) - without "In Vorbereitung" clause
  4. 0.8 Nordmark (Blue)
  5. NilPrincess / Ramona (wide)
  6. NilPrincess / Ramona (narrow); with "In Vorbereitung" clause
  7. NilPrincess / Ramona (narrow); without "In Vorbereitung" clause without "Prachtv/Dazu" paragraphs
  8. NilPrincess / Ramona (narrow); without "In Vorbereitung" clause with "Prachtv/Dazu" paragraphs
  9. Ramona (brand name to left)
  10. Ramona (brand name to centre); with "früher 4 Pf"
  11. Ramona (brand name to centre); without "früher 4 Pf"
  12. Solo - (Medium); without "In Vorbereitung" clause; with "Postscheckkonto" without "Prachtv/Dazu" paragraphs
  13. Solo - (Medium); without "In Vorbereitung" clause; with "Postscheckkonto" with "Prachtv/Dazu" paragraphs
  14. Solo - (Small); with "In Vorbereitung" clause; with "Postscheckkonto"
  15. Solo - (Medium); with "In Vorbereitung" clause; with "Postscheckkonto"
  16. Solo - (Large - separated from "3⅓"); with "In Vorbereitung" clause; with "Postscheckkonto"
  17. Solo - (Large - separated from "3⅓"); with "In Vorbereitung" clause; without "Postscheckkonto"

Am I missing something or does this match what everyone else is seeing?

Does anyone else have any other "Prachtv/Dazu" paragraph backs?

If this is indeed the case, I don't know whether to jump for joy because I discovered a new variation, or to cry because I now have to go track them down. This set is getting so incredibly complex for a back-collector-completist like me
Old 01-15-2019, 10:43 AM
Ani.sh Kan.abar

Beauty card - congrats on finding one!
Old 01-15-2019, 02:40 PM
Chuck Zso.lnai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Collect Equity View Post
That is really interesting to note. I only collect 3 cards from this set (see my previous post on this), so I am not familiar with the set as a whole. Can you share which cards are easier and harder to find?

Maybe others can chime in and share this as well, so that we can share this knowledge.

Also, since I am trying for a master set of backs for the 3 players I collect, I'd love any information on which backs others find the most rare.

Are you also going for all 4 backs of every player in order to call the set complete?

Here are the best resources I am aware of for this set:
  1. Current Checklist: https://cartophilic-info-exch.blogsp...ssball-09.html
  2. Back Variations:https://cartophilic-info-exch.blogsp...-fussball.html
  3. Detailed Set Info:http://www.csogb.co.uk/Reference/Mul...igFussball.php

By the way, on the csogb.co.uk site link above, there is a matrix with each card being listed as "U, T, Z" but I can't figure out what that designation is referring to. Can anyone help me out on this?

I too am really interested in this set and would love any knowledge that people can share on it. Thanks to everyone for helping us learn more about these classic old sets!!!!
I know for a fact that the checklist on the 3rd site is incomplete. It's missing Ireland, Holland and Portugal in the last section. And as I mentioned, the Austrian players were a later series, after the annexation.

But it does give a better idea how vast the set is and why some cards are more common while others rarer.

The U, T, Z is for the designation of variants - Union, Tutbaco, Zeptor .

Successful transactions:
aro13
edsj
commishbob
jpaol99
Gonzo,
abroom
Brianp-beme
Dboneesq
Chris Counts
xplainer
Bobbyw8469

Last edited by Copa7; 01-15-2019 at 02:45 PM.
Old 01-17-2019, 11:23 AM
J.
Jonathan Rys.kamp

Quote:
I know for a fact that the checklist on the 3rd site is incomplete. It's missing Ireland, Holland and Portugal in the last section. And as I mentioned, the Austrian players were a later series, after the annexation.
Yes, that page does seem out of date. At the top it says the set has 340+3 different cards, but then in the checklist grid below it only has a little over 300 of those listed. Also, the back checklist is not near complete, as I have a number of different brand backs for players that aren't marked. That said, it is a daunting checklist to put together and I am impressed with how much is there. My guess is they just haven't had time to update it yet, since it's a such a large and dynamic project.

What about the checklist on the FCIE:
https://cartophilic-info-exch.blogsp...ssball-09.html

It lists the set at 343 players and lists them all out. Do you know of any players in the set that are not on that list?