NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 08-30-2012, 01:45 PM
Mi.ke Masi.nick

Default T205s with green borders

This Orval Overall card can be seen with a lot of varying borders. I've seen this one on eBay a few times and it looks legit, but I'm wondering why the border is truly dark green? Is it real? Printing issue? Or somehow faded over time?

Old 08-30-2012, 01:53 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

I think this subject was discussed some years ago on the board and the consensus was that the borders can "tarnish" and wear over time, exposing any color underneath them. We know for sure from misprints that the gold was the last ink applied and that the black was next to last:

Stands to reason that if the gold is worn off, the underlying colors would be exposed. I don't recall seeing one that was in nice shape but green bordered. Below is one from a small find of T cards some years ago. I could not believe how bright the borders of the T205s were, but on this one the lower right border has started to tarnish and wear and looks to me like the underlying color is starting to show through.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 08-30-2012 at 02:01 PM.
Old 08-30-2012, 01:57 PM
Belltown Vintage

If it's this green, the gold probably wasn't applied. It's also possible it was completely rubbed off.
Old 08-30-2012, 02:41 PM
Mi.ke Masi.nick

Here are a few more examples with green borders. I think there are enough of them out there with a green border that it's not simply a misprint of a few sheets here or there.

And just for contrast, here is a regular one:

Old 08-30-2012, 02:44 PM
Andrew Hunt00n

Adam is right, this was discussed a couple years ago and these do come with green borders. I think REA had a lot of green borders in their last auction also.

AndyH

The Great T206 Back Stamp Project: Click Here
My Online Trading Site: Click Here
Member of OBC (Old Baseball Cards), the longest running on-line collecting club www.oldbaseball.com
My Humble Blog: Click Here
Old 08-30-2012, 03:34 PM
Belltown Vintage

The card in the original post is different from the others shown - it does not have the gold at all, while the other cards appear to just have extremely light gold application.
Old 08-30-2012, 04:43 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

This Johnson has sort of green borders.....

Old 09-02-2012, 01:24 PM
Pup6913

Default Misprint compared to scraps.

There is a difference in the green boarders.

The ones in REA as well as some other "true green boarders" are void of any gold boarders and all are in rough shape as though they were scrapped from a sheet. I do believe these cards are printers scraps since I have yet to see any in decent shape without creasing and most have wavy boarders at least on one side of the card. I have a Nee that is void of the gold on the card but the being miscut shows a wavy boarder on the right and the conjoining card on the left shows a ribbon of gold on the boarder. So was this card cut from a sheet and scrapped? I think so but other think not.

The "other green boarders" always have a slight gold metallic presence on the boarders and was most likely caused by lack of gold ink during the printing process.

I can not prove this but I also cant prove it's not valid. I would like to hear any comments on this subject to prove or disprove the theory