NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 05-31-2017, 02:44 PM
Jason S!m@nds

Default USPS is the worst

Sorry, I need to vent. I dropped off around 20 bubble mailers at a blue USPS box on May 25th (6 days ago). Only a few of them have been scanned as of today. I have eBay messages (some not so pleasant) from 4-5 members asking me when things will get shipped and there is nothing I can do right now.

Hopefully it gets sorted out. Any suggestions?

Old 05-31-2017, 03:01 PM
John D.

Don't drop stuff in mailboxes. Take it into the post office and tell them to scan it right then. Most post offices do that anyway. You can thank your congressman for all the consolidations and the way that they have slowed the mail down in the past couple of years. Lots of stuff ends up sitting. If I send something to my next door neighbor it goes on a 140 mile round trip before it gets to him. Taking it in OR doing a carrier pickup assures that it gets right into the pipeline. (Wife is a postal worker)
Old 05-31-2017, 03:02 PM
Robert Williams

Never use the USPS Box...I learned the hard way not to use it when they "lost" one of my packages.....from now on, if I can't hand it to the clerk at the counter, I won't ship it.
Old 05-31-2017, 03:15 PM
Don Hontz

You can give packages to your mailman and he will scan them in his truck. I give him around 20-25 per week. Plus take care of your mailman at Xmas. My guy is a big help and saves me from going to the post office. I also get the 20 per cent discount on my eBay fees. As others stated,don't use the mailbox, sometimes the collectors miss the box.
Old 05-31-2017, 04:00 PM

Last year I had to mail a Carl Horner photo I sold to a fellow board member. It was a Saturday and in NYC a lot of USPS places are technically "open" but that just means the door is open and the label machine is on. I was on my way to brunch and brought the package with me to mail. Then I was THIS CLOSE to just printing the label and dropping it in the box. But I decided that was a terrible idea and I made my girlfriend walk back home with me so I could put it back. She was pissed until I reminded her of the money I'd made and stood to lose if it got lost.

Last edited by packs; 05-31-2017 at 04:01 PM.
Old 05-31-2017, 04:54 PM
Rick McQuillan

Default scans

If the carrier or clerk who picks up the mail from the blue box does their job correctly, the packages should be scanned as "pre paid acceptance" at that particular Post Office.

Talk to the Postmaster (not the clerk or the supervisor ) and tell the PM that you want to know which person collected the mail from the blue box on that particular day and you would like some disciplinary action taken against that person. It will take the PM about 3 minutes to get this info.

There is no excuse for this to happen.

T213-2 139 down 46 to go.
Old 05-31-2017, 05:08 PM
Jeff G@rf!nkel

What everyone said before about using the boxes..don't do it. I always give a Christmas tip to the guys who work for the PO. Not only are they nice guys, they go out of the way to take care of me if I need anything. I have shipped thousands of packages with USPS and only had a problem with 1 or 2. That is a great track record as far as I am concerned.

Jeff
Old 05-31-2017, 05:35 PM
Steven

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibuysportsephemera View Post
What everyone said before about using the boxes..don't do it. I always give a Christmas tip to the guys who work for the PO. Not only are they nice guys, they go out of the way to take care of me if I need anything. I have shipped thousands of packages with USPS and only had a problem with 1 or 2. That is a great track record as far as I am concerned.

Jeff
My track record is the same plus my mail lady is super cute...
Old 05-31-2017, 06:35 PM
Banned

Totally agree about taking care of the quality usps workers. Always leave a dollar in the tip jar.
Old 05-31-2017, 06:58 PM
Larry More.y

Two things....

First, I have had a few packages dropped in the blue box that do not receive a scan entering or leaving my local sort center...they do not receive their first scan until they reach a sort center near their destination. Possibly, your packages fall into this scenario.

Second, I routinely drop into a blue box and the only time multiple packages did not receive a scan I contacted the local post master. He explained to me that there is some sort of bin in the bottom of the blue box and that these four or so missing packages may have fallen to the outside of this bin and were missed by the USPS worker completing the pickup at that box. He said he would speak to this worker.....a few days later, they showed up in the system....likely these were missed in the blue box itself.

I would call the toll free USPS number and open a case...if you do not get anywhere, expedite your case.
Old 05-31-2017, 07:10 PM
Rob

I have nothing bad to say about the USPS.

I often use the self service kiosk with no problems.

As a buyer, I've had one item "lost" and considering the seller had "feedback hidden", I don't think it was ever sent.
Old 05-31-2017, 07:12 PM
Jeff Lowe

Default Always ask a receipt

If they won't do it talk to the Postmaster .
Old 05-31-2017, 07:24 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedsFan1941 View Post
Totally agree about taking care of the quality usps workers. Always leave a dollar in the tip jar.
Tip jar, WOW the begging is getting way out of control. Plus the USPS workers are one of the most overpaid groups there is.

Some great advise on here but the sad truth is unless someone goes out of their way to help you out you are SOL.
Old 05-31-2017, 09:36 PM
Paul Peters

NEVER drop in a mail box.........bring them into the Post Office and they are scanned then and there.
Old 05-31-2017, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainier2004 View Post
Steven - Sometimes you gotta say WTF and ask her out
Old 06-01-2017, 06:08 AM
Phillip Abbott
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorth View Post
Tip jar, WOW the begging is getting way out of control. Plus the USPS workers are one of the most overpaid groups there is.

Some great advise on here but the sad truth is unless someone goes out of their way to help you out you are SOL.
Charity is out of control also.

I am with you on this one. I don't tip people to be good at their job. They should just be good, because they are getting paid and they want to keep their job. The entitlement in this country is out of control.

It is not like the service industry where they are getting a fraction of the minimum wage.

I forget where I was, but I saw a tip jar out. The only thing I re-call was having to pay, like triple what I would have in another scenario, and I thought to myself, "the audacity of that thing", and what it would be like if I swatted it off of the counter without breaking eye contact with the person at the counter.

With that said, I have never had a problem with the mail, or even a single package and this is now my 5th address over 30 years.

Last edited by PhillipAbbott79; 06-01-2017 at 06:10 AM.
Old 06-01-2017, 07:00 AM
Steven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jewish-collector View Post
Steven - Sometimes you gotta say WTF and ask her out
My wife probably wouldn't be too cool with that...I bet Id get a WTF then!
Old 06-01-2017, 07:10 AM
Al Richter

I have had the good fortune to travel extensively internationally since retirement back in 2007 and have come to appreciate our postal system, whatever it's shortcomings.
Old 06-01-2017, 09:49 AM
T!M R10rd@n

My worst experience with USPS was in the spring/summer of 1976 and it wasn't the USPS's fault.

Got a call from the Post Office that they had something of mine that they thought looked important.

Turned out that some dipshit had set off fireworks in the PO collection box at the corner and had burnt up the student loan application that I had mailed. Enough of it survived that the PO could figure out it was mine.

Got another application, filled it out again, and then proceeded to the actual post office to mail it in person!
Old 06-01-2017, 10:13 AM

Two weeks ago I had a package that was "delivered" according to USPS. I do not have it. It didn't arrive the day they say it was "delivered". When I talked to the Post Master, he said it was delivered. That's all they can go with. This was only a four dollar item, but it has happened to me once before. Awful.
Old 06-01-2017, 11:04 AM
Den*nis O*Brien

Default My Observations Regarding....

....the USPS echos what most people here have already stated. I am a fan of the postal service and consider them to be a terrific bargain and generally staffed by good, ethical and hard working people. I send everything, beyond 1st class envelopes, from the counter at my local PO. The clerk always offers me a detailed register receipt including destinations. I have always viewed dropping over sized/overweight envelopes as a crap shoot. I could have misjudged weight and under stamped the thing. It seems best to minimize the opportunities for problems and hand it to the counter person. Of course this limits the day, for most people, to do a shipping. But again....minimize the opportunities for trouble. And I also remember my rural carrier and substitute carrier at Christmas. I let them know that every piece of mail is important to me and their understanding of that is appreciated.
Old 06-01-2017, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjv815 View Post
Two weeks ago I had a package that was "delivered" according to USPS. I do not have it. It didn't arrive the day they say it was "delivered". When I talked to the Post Master, he said it was delivered. That's all they can go with. This was only a four dollar item, but it has happened to me once before. Awful.
Possibly dropped at the wrong house? That happened to me a few weeks ago. The envelope was mistakenly delivered to house #40 instead of my #48. Luckily, my neighbor is honest and brought the package to my door.

Successful sales transactions with jamorton215, gorditadogg, myerburg311, TAFKADixie, jimq16415, Thromdog, CardPadre

Last edited by Rich Falvo; 06-01-2017 at 11:14 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 06-01-2017, 11:14 AM
Don Hontz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Den*nis O*Brien View Post
....the USPS echos what most people here have already stated. I am a fan of the postal service and consider them to be a terrific bargain and generally staffed by good, ethical and hard working people. I send everything, beyond 1st class envelopes, from the counter at my local PO. The clerk always offers me a detailed register receipt including destinations. I have always viewed dropping over sized/overweight envelopes as a crap shoot. I could have misjudged weight and under stamped the thing. It seems best to minimize the opportunities for problems and hand it to the counter person. Of course this limits the day, for most people, to do a shipping. But again....minimize the opportunities for trouble. And I also remember my rural carrier and substitute carrier at Christmas. I let them know that every piece of mail is important to me and their understanding of that is appreciated.
Just curious, what do most guys give their carrier at Christmas---mine does a great job and I give $75---hope I am not too cheap, if so, I will take it up---the carrier told me most people don't give them gratuities anymore, They are not supposed to accept them, but you have to be discreet.
Old 06-01-2017, 12:59 PM
An$on

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donscards View Post
Just curious, what do most guys give their carrier at Christmas---mine does a great job and I give $75---hope I am not too cheap, if so, I will take it up---the carrier told me most people don't give them gratuities anymore, They are not supposed to accept them, but you have to be discreet.
I have a friend from high school that is a mailman and he says he only received gifts from 5% of his customers.

Keep in mind that, technically, they're not even supposed to receive cash at all. The USPS says you can give a gift valued at up to $20 but no cash or even gift cards. No gifts valued at more than $50 total in a year.
T207 (200/200)
E90-1 (118/121)
E90-3 (20/20)
E91A/B/C (85/99)
E93 (17/30)
E95 (12/25)
C59-61 (149/248)
N28/N29 (83/100)
W545 (158/200)
1901-02 Ogden Tabs (1,327/1,560)
1933-41 Goudey (265/478)
1934-36 Diamond Stars (53/108)
1939-41 Play Ball (368/473)

Complete: E47, E49, E50, E75, E76, E229, K4, N88, N91, R136, T29, T30, T38, T51, T53, T68, T73, T77, T118, T218, T220, T225, W512, W513, W542, W552, W565

Founder:
www.prewarcards.com
Old 06-01-2017, 01:02 PM
Bob Davies

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainier2004 View Post
Is a "mail lady" the opposite of a "femail man"?
Old 06-01-2017, 02:07 PM
Sean Costello

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stampsfan View Post
Is a "mail lady" the opposite of a "femail man"?
Maybe this is what is meant by the term gender fluid.
Old 06-01-2017, 02:16 PM
Mike

Two different issues bother me concerning my mail delivery.

First, on enough instances to consider it a trend, the tracking # says that it is delivered and it wasn't. It is delivered the next day. I have grown to expect it periodically. I can deal with it.

The situation that pisses me off just happened again this week. We happened to have our A/C go out over the holiday weekend. They made a temporary fix and came out on Tuesday to fix it right. At 1:30PM I was in my driveway shooting the breeze with the A/C tech as he was closing up his truck. I paid him and took a few minutes to confirm the Air was blowing cold. About 2 PM I walked to the center of the complex to the bank of mailboxes. In my box was an Orange Slip saying that a package was undeliverable because there was nobody home to sign for it. I went back to the house and checked the tracking #. It was marked "Undeliverable" at 1:27 PM. I do not get too many packages that require a signature. Perhaps it has been 6 in the last two years. My wife is home every day. She no longer drives and I take our only car to work. I/we have signed for exactly one package. Orange slips were left in the box for the rest.
Old 06-01-2017, 02:53 PM
Chr!$ M!ll!c@n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bocabirdman View Post
Two different issues bother me concerning my mail delivery.

First, on enough instances to consider it a trend, the tracking # says that it is delivered and it wasn't. It is delivered the next day. I have grown to expect it periodically. I can deal with it.

The situation that pisses me off just happened again this week. We happened to have our A/C go out over the holiday weekend. They made a temporary fix and came out on Tuesday to fix it right. At 1:30PM I was in my driveway shooting the breeze with the A/C tech as he was closing up his truck. I paid him and took a few minutes to confirm the Air was blowing cold. About 2 PM I walked to the center of the complex to the bank of mailboxes. In my box was an Orange Slip saying that a package was undeliverable because there was nobody home to sign for it. I went back to the house and checked the tracking #. It was marked "Undeliverable" at 1:27 PM. I do not get too many packages that require a signature. Perhaps it has been 6 in the last two years. My wife is home every day. She no longer drives and I take our only car to work. I/we have signed for exactly one package. Orange slips were left in the box for the rest.
I use to get those slips, UNITL I went and asked the postmaster himself -WHY??
We been home all day, like you said as well.
Ends up, they thought our drive-way was too long/far off the main road.
Which is nonsense!!! Its a good 1/4 mile gravel road. He even came up and said there was no reason for them not to do so.
So now, we don't get those slips anymore
Sometimes you just have to be a ass!!!
In return, we get large packages/ and Auction catalogs crammed in the mailbox now.
Old 06-01-2017, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Den*nis O*Brien View Post
+1 Well said !!!!!!
Old 06-01-2017, 08:57 PM
Jonathan Sterling

For the last three weeks I have been sweating on a USPS package. Package was shipped from Mass on May 10th and dropped of the face of the earth until it was finally scanned on May 29th In Memphis TN. I live in NJ so kinda went off track. The problem was it was an Item That I purchased from Ebay for $50 that sender sent first class with no insurance. The last recorded sale of this same item was north of $6,000.00. So if it was in fact lost I would have gotten my $50 returned and missed out on my one opportunity to own this item because 6k is about $5500 more than I have ever paid for a sports program. But just over 3 weeks after it was mailed it showed up today in my mailbox. I only ever ship priority mail and hand to clerk in PO and have never had an issue shipping. But have had 3 packages lost from sellers mailing first class with box drops. Very happy it is not 4 packages.
J
Old 06-02-2017, 10:47 AM
Robert Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfanNY View Post
For the last three weeks I have been sweating on a USPS package. Package was shipped from Mass on May 10th and dropped of the face of the earth until it was finally scanned on May 29th In Memphis TN. I live in NJ so kinda went off track. The problem was it was an Item That I purchased from Ebay for $50 that sender sent first class with no insurance. The last recorded sale of this same item was north of $6,000.00. So if it was in fact lost I would have gotten my $50 returned and missed out on my one opportunity to own this item because 6k is about $5500 more than I have ever paid for a sports program. But just over 3 weeks after it was mailed it showed up today in my mailbox. I only ever ship priority mail and hand to clerk in PO and have never had an issue shipping. But have had 3 packages lost from sellers mailing first class with box drops. Very happy it is not 4 packages.
J
Can I ask what kind of Sports Program it was?
Old 06-02-2017, 01:01 PM
Jonathan Sterling

1951 Yankees opening day program that came with a laminated page from the sporting news about Allie Reynolds 2nd no hitter from that year. Seller listed it as a program from the no hit game when in fact it was Mantles first game. In Memorabilia section I posted a thread where I go over documenting the hows and whys I came to learn it was 100% an opening day program. Said I would post some pics when it arrived then proceeded to sweat for 3 weeks as it disappeared in the postal system. There have been 3 or 4 sales of 1951 opening day programs in the past 5 years or so, but turns out only one of them was actually a real opening day program ( the one that sold for big money). In fact there is an ebay seller with a fake program listed. I say fake because it is partially scored as an opening day program when it like a couple others that sold they are not. So the program is intentionally altered to make it seem like something it is not that is why I use term fake. 99.9% of time clubs print one program and one scoring page for a particular series vs a visiting club. But in this case a player named Gene Markham who was sent back down to the minors opening day because Phil Rizzuto came back early from an injury caused the Yankees to print a second scoring page for the second game of the series to correct for his departure. Creating a unique program for Mantle first appearance and first hit. Now I believe there are 3 known copies.
Old 06-05-2017, 07:04 PM
Jason S!m@nds

An update:

The packages have still not arrived. I opened a case with USPS, but that is going no where.

I have refunded all TWENTY buyers to the tune of $444.78 (it could've been worse). Most of the buyers were understanding, some weren't. As of writing this, only one buyer has resorted to giving me neutral feedback. That buyer gave me this gem (read bottom to top):

Anyway, lessen learned. No more blue post boxes.
Old 06-05-2017, 07:09 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhs5120 View Post
An update:

The packages have still not arrived. I opened a case with USPS, but that is going no where.

I have refunded all TWENTY buyers to the tune of $444.78 (it could've been worse). Most of the buyers were understanding, some weren't. As of writing this, only one buyer has resorted to giving me neutral feedback. That buyer gave me this gem (read bottom to top):

That sucks. Keep checking on those tracking #'s. I have had several packages do exactly what yours are doing now. Some of them have taken up to 3 months to arrive and a few members on here can confirm that.
Old 06-05-2017, 07:16 PM
Robert Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhs5120 View Post
An update:

Sorry you had to learn the hard way Jason. Hopefully one of those twenty would be honest and tell you that they got the card. Then you can proceed how you would like.
Old 06-05-2017, 07:22 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

I just had an important parcel that USPS Tracking says was "Left with Individual". Yet it was not... it was never delivered, or even left on my front porch. Whatever party did receive it in error has had 5 days now to get it over to me. I know when something arrives here in error, I just walk it (or drive it) over to the neighbors' house.

So I guess they are simply keeping it, and it's time for me to file a claim as well.