NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 06-19-2009, 07:11 AM
Frank
Fra.nk Anth0ny

Are any of you guys who replied to this thread authenticators? If not , how do you personally know if a sig. is real or not unless you got it in person. You don't!!!!!!. How do you pick your authenticator? Your friend or buddy, bigestamount of advertising, most items by them in an auction? How do you know if they are good or not. It's very possible thet their all phonies. To you know it alls, you know nothing, the same as the authenticators.
Old 06-19-2009, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank A View Post
...To you know it alls, you know nothing, the same as the authenticators.
Thanks for the heads-up, Frank.

I'll keep it in mind the next time I buy or sell an autograph.
Old 06-19-2009, 11:51 AM
Je.ff Cl.ark

Hi J.Mcmurry. I don't disagree with you and everything I bought was obviously from a seller who "Authenticated" it. I of course trusted their opinion enough to purchase from them. Actually I bought most of my historical stuff from a select few. Dealers that had been around quite a while and I usually bought low end stuff and they carried high end stuff and knew they wouldn't risk a multi-million dollar business to sell $400.00 items. So I agree with your point. I have a problem with some dealers but primarily my issue is with authenticators who ridiculously inflate their credentials or out right lie and then are quick to besmirch or judge other dealers who have solid 30 year reputations. I am neither a dealer or authenticator. I had never heard of Garo until this thread.
Old 06-19-2009, 12:06 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffects View Post
Hi J.Mcmurry. I don't disagree with you and everything I bought was obviously from a seller who "Authenticated" it. I of course trusted their opinion enough to purchase from them. Actually I bought most of my historical stuff from a select few. Dealers that had been around quite a while and I usually bought low end stuff and they carried high end stuff and knew they wouldn't risk a multi-million dollar business to sell $400.00 items. So I agree with your point. I have a problem with some dealers but primarily my issue is with authenticators who ridiculously inflate their credentials or out right lie and then are quick to besmirch or judge other dealers who have solid 30 year reputations. I am neither a dealer or authenticator. I had never heard of Garo until this thread.

I might add that Jeff seems like a really nice guy, and my sr. by a few years, on the phone. Very pleasant call......

For the record- I do call some folks just to make sure we keep it real.....and I realize a roach can still crawl in under the door but it's not as easy as it used to be...happy collecting....
Old 06-19-2009, 12:34 PM
Je.ff Cl.ark

C'mon Leon, try two years. Ha Ha. Enjoyed our conversation.
Old 06-19-2009, 02:09 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Getting back to the point here....

Frank Garo may have the best of intentions, and may truly be an honest fellow. But what on earth makes him qualified to be an authenticator? Even if he got it right on the afroementioned Ruth Photo, he has been way off on countless others.

I have looked at hundreds of reliable Babe Ruth exemplars (team signed balls, personal checks, team/movie contracts, etc.) as have all the authenticators in question. It doesn't take a genius to identify a bad item. And as an earlier post stated, there are plenty of reliable authenticators besides Spence and PSA - Gutierrez, Jordan, Albersheim and Keating, to name just a few.

As stated earlier, I know beyond a doubt, that Garo has given his "seal of approval" to a slew of items that aren't even close to being good. Those awful Ruth/Gehrig examples posted earlier are just the tip of the iceberg. Garo is where people go after the respected authenticators have rejected their item. As a result, his LOA means nothing in the Industry. What does it tell you, that no respected/major auction house has ever featured a Frank Garo LOA, but that Coach's Corner does on numerous occasion?

Again... he may have no bad intent... he is simply an unskilled authenticator. I think that most of us (who really study these pieces) would be infinitely more scrutinizing if that's how we chose to make a living.
Old 06-19-2009, 05:18 PM

Thanks for the reply Jeff,

You're right, it basically boils down to doing business with people who you trust and feel comfortable with, but one shouldnt get upset when people on the board offer their opinion on an item or person in the hobby.
I consider such input to be valuable, and a large part of why this board is so great.

As far as the Ruth piece goes, the consideration of the cert needs to be thrown out the window, the seller needs to come to his own conclusion through research of both the signature and the seller of the item.
Old 06-20-2009, 09:24 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default agreed

I agree that it's great to see new faces over here on the memorabilia side and the activity level has been far increased with the new board. That being said I also agree it needs to stay civil. There were very rarely any arguments and name calling on this side on the old board.

Jeff- I know you are a decent guy but your language has to chill out on this board. Please remain civil and argue all you want to. If it continues then you won't be participating anymore and that would be a shame. "Perez" has been on the board a long time and to go after him, in a disrespectful manner, is not acceptable. Disagree with him, argue with him, all is good.....act unprofessional and/or name call.....not so good. Thanks for your understanding. IF you have too difficult of a time arguing and staying civil then maybe this isn't a good board for you to be on, again that would be a shame but it is what it is.....kindest regards (you can always shoot me an email if you want to explain anything privately).....

***I just re-read the above statements....as I only skimmed over them at first. Jeff is banned for 7 days from today for foul language

Last edited by Leon; 06-20-2009 at 09:29 AM. Reason: to state the banning
Old 06-20-2009, 11:17 AM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Sorry you feel that way, Jeffects. I never condemned the Ruth Photo... my implication was that it might well be good. The 3 pieces posted earlier by pscolgrafs speak for themselves, as being garbage. My point was that the authenticator in question gets some right and some wrong. Any average collector could do the same.

I don't have time to look for other bad Garo pieces to post here, and am done with posting on threads like this where name calling and negativity prevail. Have fun, and best of luck with those future investments.