NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 09-04-2013, 09:43 AM
Chad

Default M101-2's how rare?

I am a pre war Cubs collector and recently purchased 12 M101-2's at a pretty high price thanks to some shill bidding. The bidder that bid me up even had to retract some of his bids after "accidentally" outbidding me. That aside....how desire able and rare are these Sporting News supplements?
Any info would be appreciated.

Chad
Old 09-04-2013, 09:47 AM
Ken

A bunch of them went yesterday on Ebay in the PWCC auction. I don't know if that will tell you how rare they are but it will give you some current prices.
Old 09-04-2013, 11:34 AM
Todd Schultz

They are not scarce in general, but are obviously condition sensitive, as they are printed on medium-heavy paper. They were available for years as an incentive for subscription to TSN (through at least 1916) as supplies were abundant, although as time passed I believe the supply for some of the subjects may have become exhausted. A few can be found with subscription advertising on the back--those are popular but always (or nearly so) found with fold lines.

As for desirability they are gorgeous, especially when found without tears or heavy creases. The m101-2s sold by PWCC had album or adhesive residue on the backs that in many instances had been almost completely removed. Given that they are blank-backed this is of little import to many. Still, it would affect their technical grade if that matters. I have found that Beckett grades these, and harshly, but they look fugly in their thick oversized holders IMO. I bought a couple that way off EBay just because their technical grade belied their appearance--still, if I could find a safe way to extract them from their tombs I would.

I followed more than a dozen of these last night and thought they all went for reasonable prices--except the Cubs. Cubs commons went for 2-4X all the others, and when Jimmy Archer and Heinie Zimmerman go for double Chief Bender and Clark Griffith, more than Wheat and about as much as Joss, it does raise an eyebrow. If those are among those you won, it looks like you should have sniped.
If we are to have another contest in the near future of our national existence, I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's but between patriotism and intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition and ignorance on the other. - Ulysses S. Grant, military commander, 18th US President.

Last edited by nolemmings; 09-04-2013 at 11:36 AM.
Old 09-04-2013, 02:19 PM
Scott Mt. Joy

Agree with Todd and Im pretty sure they have a 14 day return policy if you think you were shilled I would think hard about returning.
Old 09-04-2013, 07:05 PM
Chad

Yes it was me who won all the Cubs through Ebay last night and I learned a valuable lesson. Don't bid early and high. The real problem I have about this whole situation is the bid retractions. The guy (or gal) goes with the Ebay ID of: the coop. Apparently PWCC is turning him in to Ebay for the retractions but they are only going to give me the benefit of the shill bidding on one of the 12 auctions. Expensive lesson learned. Thanks COOP!
Old 09-04-2013, 07:28 PM
Todd Schultz

A board member did this? Maybe there's an explanation--he does say he's a life-long Cubs fan.
If we are to have another contest in the near future of our national existence, I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's but between patriotism and intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition and ignorance on the other. - Ulysses S. Grant, military commander, 18th US President.

Last edited by nolemmings; 09-04-2013 at 07:31 PM.
Old 09-04-2013, 07:48 PM
Chad

So I've heard he is (a Cub fan). Why punish me by bidding me up to the very last dollar on each auction. I guess we are just two avid Cub collectors going for something we both really wanted.
I vented enough. Lesson learned on my part.
Old 09-05-2013, 09:17 PM
Lee B.
lee be.hrens

With patience you can get nice ones fairly inexpensive, I have a bunch that I purchase on appearance basis, I usually had to pay around $20 for commons. I never found that any seem tougher than others, unless you are talking about the ad backs.

Lee
Old 09-06-2013, 01:05 AM
Dav1d Sh1p$ey

They are cool looking. I bid on a few in the PWCC auction but didn't win any. Everything seemed so expensive.
Old 09-06-2013, 06:50 AM
pete ullman

I agree with the sentiment that they are not rare... I have picked these up at antique stores Four $10-$20 apiece... Mainly commons in very nice condition. Some of the Hall of Famer's will set you back pretty big bucks... Unless you're willing to take damaged ones They are quite frankly a steal For what they are!

For me the size is a turn off.
Old 09-07-2013, 05:58 AM
Phil Garry

I like them but no where near as rare as its predecessor, the M101-1's.
Old 09-07-2013, 11:39 AM
Doug Goodman

Quote:
Originally Posted by t206 cubs View Post
Yes it was me who won all the Cubs through Ebay last night and I learned a valuable lesson. Don't bid early and high. The real problem I have about this whole situation is the bid retractions. The guy (or gal) goes with the Ebay ID of: the coop. Apparently PWCC is turning him in to Ebay for the retractions but they are only going to give me the benefit of the shill bidding on one of the 12 auctions. Expensive lesson learned. Thanks COOP!
Always snipe.

Always bid the maximum amount you are willing to pay.

Never bid again.

There is no logical reason to bid early.

The later you bid, the less time anybody has to outbid you.

I would be curious to see the bid history on the ones with retractions, but I'm too lazy to find them on ebay searching finished auctions. If you "won" items with bids that were higher than another bidder, but that same bidder retracted bids that were higher than yours, I personally would refuse to pay for the items any amount that included the other guys bids. Meaning that your winning bid should go down to one bid increment above the third bidder involved, assuming there was one, and if the bidding only involved you and the retracting guy, then I would only pay the opening bid amount.

Of course, I've been thrown off of ebay multiple times, so maybe I'm just an asshole. Insert smiley face here.

Doug