NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > WaterCooler Talk- Off Topics

Old 12-15-2017, 08:47 PM
Kev1n @1les

Default Bummer of a thread, bummer of a day

I wanted to post here because I think so much of so many of you and I have done deals with many of you as well. In many ways, this site is my second home.

I lost my dog today. His name was Sampson. We called him Sammy. He was originally my mother in law's dog until she died in September 2010. He was a chihuahua/terrier mix. He was about 9 pounds soaking wet and he never, ever barked.

When my MIL died, my son (11 at the time) asked if we could take Sampson. I had a dog before that. A beautiful Shetland Sheepdog named Jasmine. My wife and I took her home from the kennel 6 weeks after we were married in 1996. She was our baby before we had babies and I loved her so much. Right after Christmas in 2007 she was diagnosed with severe congestive heart failure and we had to make a very difficult decision to put her down and 11.5.

I cried all night and decided that I was never going to be a dog owner again because the pain of loss was too much. Therefore, when we got Sampson, I declared that he was Conner's dog. I wasn't going to take him outside. He could sleep with him. I would feed him and make sure that he had a warm home, but he was their dog.

Over the last 6-12 months, Sammy has deteriorated. He lost all controls of his bowels and we make a mess where he sat. He lost weight and could no longer keep himself up when he went to the bathroom. I would have to hold him up. Because his functions were unpredictable, he spent more time in his cage. He could not see or hear and would continually run into things. When he went outside, he would walk in circles until he fell down.

It felt like it was time, but it just didn't feel like my place to decide when it was time for him. I wouldn't want the kids to make the decision about me when I became too much to handle.

We decided that it was getting close. Conner asked me to wait until he got home for his first semester of college. He got home yesterday. Today, we went and saw the new Star Wars movie and after it was over, when we got home, we took Sampson to the vet.

I took him in and explained our situation. I was actually hoping that the vet would tell me to put on my big boy pants and deal with a geriatric dog. Instead, she said that his quality of life was very poor. He was doing circles and she suggested that he might have a tumor or an inner ear issue. She said that Euthanasia was probably the best thing for him.

I signed a couple of things and then, after we had some time with him, I handed him over to her. Sampson trusted me - he always trusted me. I was tolerant of him but had grown to like him over the years. He was a good dog.

Instead, I handed him to a lady that sedated him and then gave him an overdose of an anesthetic. She did it on my orders. A few minutes later, the nice vet brought him back on a bed covered up. Conner and I cried for a few minutes and then we left. We are going to have him cremated. We will take his ashes and spread them over Carrie's mom's grave.

I am bummed. I didn't want to cry like this again and I tried to keep my distance - but the darn little thing became my little friend and now he is gone.

I am sorry for emoting. You guys are my second family and I needed to get these feelings down as this is a really sad day!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 984071C4-3152-4CE5-8892-6AC78AA451C6.jpg (15.0 KB, 60 views)

53-55 Red Mans Complete Set

Last edited by kailes2872; 12-17-2017 at 03:07 PM.
Old 12-15-2017, 10:09 PM
Lou Simcoe
L0u Sim.coe

I am sorry for your loss.

I'm sure Sampson knew he was greatly loved and cared for, and he thrived as a result of the love you and your family gave him. In return, Sampson gave you and your family the same love you had shown him.

Dogs are wonderful.
Old 12-15-2017, 11:49 PM

Kevin, we empathize more than we could put into words. Our dogs, past and present, are every bit our friends and family.
Having to part with any of them, after the years of joy and companionship and hilarity they've given, is heart-rending,
and on the rare the occasion we've had to help them move on, the decision is excruciating. But know, from what you
described, you absolutely did the right thing.
Never forget your little guy's peculiarities and best moments, and console yourself with the knowledge that
you afforded him a great life and gave him as much joy as he gave you.
https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/baseballgames/

Successful transactions with: bocabirdman, GrayGhost, jimivintage,
Oneofthree67, orioles93, quinnsryche, thecatspajamas, ValKehl
Old 12-16-2017, 04:42 AM

Deeply sorry for your loss, Kevin. It definitely is sad to lose a furry companion. We lost our Pomeranian a few months ago as well. Gone are the days in which he would hang out on the sofa, play with his dog toys, and cuddle everyone before bed time. One of the things I would always have in mind is at least, he’s happy now, up in the heavens, enjoying unlimited supplies of doggy treats.

Godspeed, Sammy.
Old 12-16-2017, 08:06 AM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Very sorry for your loss.
Have the first dog of my life right now and I'm in my mid 5os. She's 10 and starting to really slow down. I don't want to imagine that day. Unreal the level of love you develop for these guys.
Old 12-16-2017, 08:14 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by kailes2872 View Post
I wanted to post here because I think so much of so many of you and I have done deals with many of you as well. In many ways, this site is my second home.

I lost my dog today. His name was Sampson. We called him Sammy. He was originally my mother in law's dog until she died in September 2010. He was a chihuahua/terrier mix. He was about 9 pounds soaking wet and he never, ever barked.

When my MIL died, my son (11 at the time) asked if we could take Sampson. I had a dog before that. A beautiful Shetland Sheepdog named Jasmine. My wife and I took her home from the kennel 6 weeks after we were married in 1996. She was our baby before we had babies and I loved her so much. Right after Christmas in 2007 she was diagnosed with severe congestive heart failure and we had to make a very difficult decision to put her down and 11.5.

I cried all night and decided that I was never going to be a dog owner again because the pain of loss was too much. Therefore, when we got Sampson, I declared that he was Conner's dog. I wasn't going to take him outside. He could sleep with him. I would feed him and make sure that he had a warm home, but he was their dog.

Over the last 6-12 months, Sammy has deteriorated. He lost all controls of his bowels and we make a mess where he sat. He lost weight and could no longer keep himself up when he went to the bathroom. I would have to hold him up. Because his functions were unpredictable, he spent more time in his cage. He could not see or hear and would continually run into things. When he went outside, he would walk in circles until he fell down.

It felt like it was time, but it just didn't feel like my place to decide when it was time for him. I wouldn't want the kids to make the decision about me when I became too much to handle.

We decided that it was getting close. Conner asked me to wait until he got home for his first semester of college. He got home yesterday. Today, we went and saw the new Star Wars movie and after it was over, when we got home, we took Sampson to the vet.

I took him in and explained our situation. I was actually hoping that the vet would tell me to put on my big boy pants and deal with a geriatric dog. Instead, she said that his quality of life was very poor. He was doing circles and she suggested that he might have a tumor or an inner ear issue. She said that Euthanasia was probably the best thing for him.

I signed a couple of things and then, after we had some time with him, I handed him over to her. Sampson trusted me - he always trusted me. I was tolerant of him but had grown to like him over the years. He was a good dog.

Instead, I handed him to a lady that sedated him and then gave him an overdose of an anesthetic. She did it on my orders. A few minutes later, the nice vet brought him back on a bed covered up. Conner and I cried for a few minutes and then we left. We are going to have him cremated. We will take his ashes and spread them over Carrie's mom's grave.

I am bummed. I didn't want to cry like this again and I tried to keep my distance - but the darn little thing became my little friend and now he is gone.

I am sorry for emoting. You guys are my second family and I needed to get these feelings down as this is a really sad day!
Very sorry for your loss. I had to have a 13 yrs old, best friend mini beagle put down, around 8 mos ago. It was one of the hardest days of my life. I did the same thing in letting her have every day she could. The vet told me I should put her down but I knew it wasn't time yet. Trixie would tell me. Around a week later, after force feeding and Sub Q water for week, she told me. I have four more, fairly young dogs. Each of those, when they pass, will be a really, really bad day. Just know you gave your doggie the best life it could have. That is all we can do. Don't be sorry for getting it off your chest a little. Many members are dog lovers. WE understand.
Old 12-16-2017, 08:36 AM
Richard Simon

My heartfelt sympathies to you.
I have always been a cat person and I know what it means to lose a pet who has become a family member. It is very, very difficult.
I have found that getting a new pet as soon as you feel comfortable with it is the best thing for all.
www.bonanza.com/booths/richsports
--
"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure."- Clarence Darrow
Old 12-17-2017, 09:09 AM
T0dd M@rcum

So sorry. I have an old redbone hound I love dearly.
Old 12-17-2017, 12:39 PM
Bill H@e1ig

So sorry to hear this...Pets do hold a very special place in our lives

My condolences

Bill
Old 12-17-2017, 02:20 PM
Jeff H

I feel your pain Kevin. It is a very difficult decision to make. My wife and I have also gone through this. It was a couple of years before we finally got another dog. Glad we did, she is terrific. As mentioned in some of the previous posts we can become very attached to our pets.
Old 12-17-2017, 03:11 PM
Sean Sullivan

I am very sorry to hear about your dog. That sucks.
Old 12-18-2017, 04:14 AM
ThreadKiller

Default Doggie Heaven

Kevin:

it sucks whenever we lose our pets - dogs are better than people in so
many ways!

miss mine constantly - sucks that my personal schedule doesn't allow
me to properly provide for them, but I'm lucky I realize that, unlike so
many others, and I look forward to the day when I too can accommodate
and provide a proper lifestyle - to re-up with a much-deserving - and loved -
four-legged friend some day!

my 80-year old mom is *begging* for a dog, but as much as I'd love to
make her happy, I cannot consciously see either myself - and especially her -
taking one in minus the necessary care needed, and I'm just not gonna allow it!