NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 01-26-2011, 09:26 PM
Steve Birmingham

Default One that got away- then found again

I finally got a bit of time to research an interesting Fenway park postcard I have.

Part of the fun of this one was that I saw it around 1985, at the shop of a stamp guy who was dabbling in cards. I was into different stuff, and didn't buy it as it seemed a bit expensive at the time. I finally decided to get it a year or so later and it had been sold a few months before. I regretted not buying it for years.

Late 90's, I'm at the shriners show and in a dealers postcard binder is the same card. Not another copy, but the same card.

There's enough detail to figure out roughly the moment the picture was taken. August 19, 1934 Tigers pitcher Elden Auker is warming up before the bottom of the first inning of the second game of a doubleheader with catcher Mickey Cochrane. He'll go on to win 4-3 over Rube Walberg and Gordon Rhodes.
The bonus is how I knew it was the same card. The autograph on the back that both sellers described as being "some front office guy"

Frank Navin, Tigers owner. The day after he signed, he saw his team lose the world series to the Cardinals.
Duffys cliff would be removed after the season as part of a continuing remodeling.

I'm not sure who Morton Dawson was, But I'm thinking he might have something to do with the Dawsons sign that's on the hotel just above the Gem sign.

Steve B
Old 01-26-2011, 10:03 PM
Dan Bretta

You mean "Snapshot" and not "Postcard" right?

I used to collect baseball snapshots and some of my favorites were my early Fenway Park snaps.
Old 01-27-2011, 07:41 AM
Steve Birmingham

Wow. I can't believe I didn't notice that after all this time.

It sure is a snapshot.

I'd thought it was a real photo postcard, it's the right size. But yeah, there's no postcard backstamp.

Steve B
Who's heading to the corner with the duncecap for a couple minutes.
Old 01-27-2011, 11:36 AM
Dan Bretta

Either way it's a great shot...and even better since you know what game it came from.
Old 01-27-2011, 12:04 PM
Graig Kreindler

Agreed on ALL accounts. A really wonderful piece, Steve.

I love the fact that while looking at this picture, I can't help but think what the people in the crowd were thinking when they saw that wall in left. Afterall, '34 was the first year of the 'new' Fenway Park with those dimensions.

I'm glad I can still look at that same wall and daydream about Gem Razorblades.

Graig
Old 01-27-2011, 07:27 PM
Steve Birmingham

When some of my friends were decrying the "desecration" of Fenway by the new owners allowing so many ads especially any on the wall itself I showed them the photo. And said I'd like to see it returned to its 1934 state, Gem sign Duffys cliff and all.

Realistically, having seen the abominations the old owners tried to get approved as replacements anything that keeps Fenway around for another few decades is fine with me.

I was on Lansdowne st last month, and the latest bit of work is pretty extensive. The scoreboard had been totally removed. I haven't checked the website to see what's planned.
The workers were busy despite it being after 10PM, and there was even security, so no chance of a souvenir.

Steve B