NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 12-14-2018, 12:23 PM
Eric S.

Default SGC registry issue - heads-up!

Not sure if anyone else has run into this problem, but if you get cards graded by SGC under their new system, they WILL NOT load into the legacy registry! Nor can SGC force them in; they have a completely different format!

I spoke to Matt today and he confirmed this. He will not promise a completion date for the new registry. To add frustration, SGC will also not (except under “exceptional circumstances” grade cards now under the old system and label.

So, if you want to enter any cards you just had graded into the registry, FORGET IT for an indefinite period. I am very frustrated and disappointed with this. Severe case of overhyping and underdelivering.

Successful transactions with ecRich, HTBB, MPeich, Pencil1974, JLoewke, Darkhorse9, Therajah, eb548, Cards 2121, etc.
Old 12-14-2018, 01:47 PM
Cory

Their technology has always been horrible and that’s the main reason for their lack of competiveness. No secrets about it. They have better customer service and fine with grading. Virtually every aspect of their tech is awful.

Cory Weiser
Old 12-14-2018, 02:24 PM
Steve Birmingham

So the new cards can't be put in the old registry, and the new registry isn't working?
And when it is the old cards won't be able to go in the new registry?

That's pretty messed up.
Old 12-15-2018, 02:52 PM
Eric S.

I should have mentioned in my note above - if you would be so kind as to help, please send an email to Matthew Clark at SGC asking that this issue be solved ASAP.

His email is: mclark@sgccard.com or mclark@gosgc.com

Thanks,
Eric Schmidtke

Successful transactions with ecRich, HTBB, MPeich, Pencil1974, JLoewke, Darkhorse9, Therajah, eb548, Cards 2121, etc.
Old 12-20-2018, 01:21 PM
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baseball Bob View Post
Not sure if anyone else has run into this problem, but if you get cards graded by SGC under their new system, they WILL NOT load into the legacy registry! Nor can SGC force them in; they have a completely different format!

I spoke to Matt today and he confirmed this. He will not promise a completion date for the new registry. To add frustration, SGC will also not (except under “exceptional circumstances” grade cards now under the old system and label.

So, if you want to enter any cards you just had graded into the registry, FORGET IT for an indefinite period. I am very frustrated and disappointed with this. Severe case of overhyping and underdelivering.
I had same issue with my T205 set--now Im not sure what to do. I'm half way done and either have to buy green labels but who knows how long old registry will be up or just stop
Old 12-20-2018, 01:49 PM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

Break your cards out and switch to PSA. The grading costs will probably be made up for by an increase in the card's market value.
Old 12-20-2018, 03:34 PM
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldjudge View Post
Break your cards out and switch to PSA. The grading costs will probably be made up for by an increase in the card's market value.
funny you mention that---1st off I was a big fan of SGC
I sent this email since they do not really have much information on this, as if it was rushed and they do not know what the future holds

I guess without a timeline and if in the future it may or may not be able to
mix, you are making it sound like I have really two options, to continue with
old labels that may not be supported on the registry in the future or switch to
PSA and crack out the cards that I have. I wish you had better news for my set.
thank you for getting back to me Matt.
Old 12-20-2018, 03:54 PM
Peter Spaeth

I am not saying this critically at all, but other than the competitiveness at the very upper end which I sort of get in terms of ego, I don't really understand the point of registering a set or the concern if the registry is unavailable. I suppose it has some utility in terms of organization but surely that can be accomplished in other ways.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 12-20-2018 at 03:54 PM.
Old 12-20-2018, 04:52 PM

This is pathetic. Pretty much no excuse for making announcements about new features and then being totally unprepared... Why not just wait until they are ready? PSA literally is laughing right now. When someone has tries them for the first time with their new labels and this happens, there is no coming back.

Last edited by murphy8276; 12-20-2018 at 04:54 PM.
Old 12-20-2018, 05:22 PM
D P M

If you remember the new features were "leaked" by the promotion company when a web page went live. SGC never actually announced anything. The day after the promotion company web page went live with SGC info the SGC website put up that "something awesome is coming" page when you loaded their website.

I have a strong feeling that promotion company released without SGC giving the ok and now they are paying the price. (pure speculation on my part)

Just like collecting I have no problem waiting for something awesome to come down the pipe line. I don't need the now now now of today's world.
Old 12-21-2018, 04:22 AM
Lonnie Nagel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millerd33 View Post
If you remember the new features were "leaked" by the promotion company when a web page went live. SGC never actually announced anything. The day after the promotion company web page went live with SGC info the SGC website put up that "something awesome is coming" page when you loaded their website.

I have a strong feeling that promotion company released without SGC giving the ok and now they are paying the price. (pure speculation on my part)

Just like collecting I have no problem waiting for something awesome to come down the pipe line. I don't need the now now now of today's world.

I agree the wait is not a big issue - It will be troubling, however, if they are unable to migrate current SGC Registry Cards into the New Registry.

Also, for some reason I feel like having my cards in a "registry" with scans gives me some piece of mind in that if I ever have to produce documentation of exact cards I own (possibly Insurance purposes?) - It would be readily available. Yes?

Last edited by toledo_mudhen; 12-21-2018 at 04:23 AM.
Old 12-21-2018, 05:46 AM
Troy Rambo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
I am not saying this critically at all, but other than the competitiveness at the very upper end which I sort of get in terms of ego, I don't really understand the point of registering a set or the concern if the registry is unavailable. I suppose it has some utility in terms of organization but surely that can be accomplished in other ways.

I use the PSA registry to register my sets and have sets ranking from 1st on the registry to 170th so I'm all over the place there. Certainly there's an ego thing and I don't think it's limited to the upper end of the spectrum. In fact, I had a guy competing with me for 15th place or something on one of the sets I used to own.

For me, it's a way to catalogue my collection through a 3rd party in case something bad happens to it as well as seeing what's out there that other like minded collectors have. Additionally, it's been a great tool to share with family and friends as I work to have front/back scans of all the cards I own.

I know you weren't being critical but I figured giving a little color on the why of it may make some sense.
Old 12-21-2018, 09:19 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by trambo View Post
I use the PSA registry to register my sets and have sets ranking from 1st on the registry to 170th so I'm all over the place there. Certainly there's an ego thing and I don't think it's limited to the upper end of the spectrum. In fact, I had a guy competing with me for 15th place or something on one of the sets I used to own.

For me, it's a way to catalogue my collection through a 3rd party in case something bad happens to it as well as seeing what's out there that other like minded collectors have. Additionally, it's been a great tool to share with family and friends as I work to have front/back scans of all the cards I own.

I know you weren't being critical but I figured giving a little color on the why of it may make some sense.
Understood. I am not a set person but I do use collectorfocus as an organizational tool.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 12-21-2018, 09:35 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Yeap, there are an infinite number of ways to organize collections online but a lot of PSA collectors want to have the biggest testicles and need to know they are NUMERO UNO!! I think it's great for those so inclined but for me I don't need to be the biggest or best. The registry is great marketing, no doubt about that. Hopefully SGC will have a good one soon for those so inclined. I like their grading (and BVG grading) much better than PSA's....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
Understood. I am not a set person but I do use collectorfocus as an organizational tool.
Old 12-21-2018, 10:18 AM
Chase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
Yeap, there are an infinite number of ways to organize collections online but a lot of PSA collectors want to have the biggest testicles and need to know they are NUMERO UNO!! I think it's great for those so inclined but for me I don't need to be the biggest or best. The registry is great marketing, no doubt about that. Hopefully SGC will have a good one soon for those so inclined. I like their grading (and BVG grading) much better than PSA's....
Yup! Seems collectors need to show off because as you suggest there are numerous ways to host a collection online but they do not come with awards, recognition and a dinner honoring the best. It is not what you do when people are looking but what you do when they aren't.
Old 12-21-2018, 10:53 AM
bR!@N R0+H

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorewalker View Post
Yup! Seems collectors need to show off because as you suggest there are numerous ways to host a collection online but they do not come with awards, recognition and a dinner honoring the best. It is not what you do when people are looking but what you do when they aren't.
Preach.

Greenberg collection
Old 12-21-2018, 12:17 PM
Rick Clemens

I am on the set registry and dont have any interest in some sort of way to show off. It helps keep track of the cards and if I ever sell being high up on the registry increases the value of an entire set. I dont think the SGC registry has that dynamic. SGC cards dont cross over consistently because they grade cards more liberally. I dont want cards in less valuable holders with a company that is less stable. I am also life long investor in real estate, stock and bonds etc. Now that the cards are so valuable I treat them like an investment and my investment is safer, more valuable and more desirable in PSA holders. With all that said I do admit they are a pain in the but to deal with.