NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 12-11-2012, 05:31 AM
Phil Garry

Default Just curious..........

I am just curious, the last four threads that I have started where I was looking for help on something, each of the four threads ended with one reply other than my own. My history prior to that (to the best of my recollection) is quite similar. Can anyone tell me why that is?

Even the recent thread regarding volunteers for a Negro League project resulted in a much less than overwhelming number of responses. I know that there are a number of Negro League experts on this board as evidenced by the competitive bidding every time a quality item comes up for auction.

I believe in doing my part to help the hobby and educate collectors but I guess many do not agree with this philosophy. It seems more like a self-serving venture for many and if it does not help "ME" (and might even hurt "ME" in terms of knowledge and competition) then it is not worth getting involved in.

Last edited by bcbgcbrcb; 12-11-2012 at 09:37 AM.
Old 12-11-2012, 05:57 AM
Barry Sloate

It's certainly not personal Phil, and if I could have answered any of your questions I would have. Next time try putting the word "T206" in your title. You'll probably get 30 responses the first day.
Old 12-11-2012, 06:01 AM
Jimi

I echo Barry's response. Nothing personal. I wish I could have said more myself. I'd help you with the Negro League stuff, but not sure I'd be much help. After I sold off my Caramelo Deportivo set a few ago to a board member, I haven't done much with the league.
jimivintage@yahoo.com
Jimi
Old 12-11-2012, 06:36 AM
Phil Garry

Thanks, guys. You are two of the few that have tried to help whenever possible.

I agree with your idea, Barry. One is now at 449 posts and counting every day........

Last edited by bcbgcbrcb; 12-11-2012 at 06:41 AM.
Old 12-11-2012, 06:44 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

All it means is that in the marketplace of ideas you launched an Edsel. It happens. No need to whine about it.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 12-11-2012 at 06:45 AM.
Old 12-11-2012, 06:48 AM
Bill Lucier

Take it as a compliment, you have a deep and broad knowledge of the industry and thus there are few that can assist you. You have helped me in the past and it is greatly appreciated and as a new member I hope to offer help in the future. Bill.
Old 12-11-2012, 07:13 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Very honestly, and I hope no one would take it personally, but things I have no interest in I don't usually respond to (in the way of projects). Everyone in the world (well, on the board anyway) knows I am always here to help anyone with board stuff for their projects.

I guess it would be analogous to me doing a project on type cards. I wouldn't expect the T206-centric, Rookie HOF-centric etc...folks to jump on that wagon. If I started a project on E221 Bishop cards the crickets would chirp.
Old 12-11-2012, 07:23 AM
Phil Garry

Agreed, Leon. My expectations were geared towards those that collect Negro League material only or that is a major part of their collection.
Old 12-11-2012, 07:27 AM
Fr@nk Burke++

Default 449

The diversity of the Board should be applauded and enjoyed by all. To be certain the degree of expertise in all phases of the hobby is an asset to the Board as a whole and we all learn regardless of our own level of expertise. I've only been at this prewar business for less than 7 years. I know a helluva lot more now than I did when I started and a lot of that knowledge has been added in the last year since joining the Board.

No one has been more surprised and yes, at times, embarrassed that the silly Monster Number Thread has survived and in fact may be accelerating rather than slowing down. I fully understand that the scholarly input of that thread is essentially nil, but the feedback from the vast majority has been positive. I am not posting here to defend that thread in any way.

My point is that the success of the Board IMO is the diversity of content:

1. Expertise willingly shared by collectors such as yourself, Phil
2. Friendships developed as a result of verbal exchanges and B/S/T activity.
3. The generally civil conduct of Board members toward each other.
4. Amusement derived from some of the less scholarly threads.

The sense of community we share with several hundred folks who share common interests, but do not live down the street, is for many a welcome addition to our lives, as prewar baseball card discussions are usually met with vacant stares in our local social circles.

My activity on the Board has led to phone calls to a number of Board members, whom I now consider friends, that I never would have met otherwise. I'm convinced that I am not alone in my experience or feelings about this group.

The Board should not only make you less , but should also make you .

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Nearly*1000* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-24.
Over 680 sales with satisfied Board members served.
If you want fries with your order, just speak up.
Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 12-11-2012, 08:32 AM
Phil Garry

Well put, Frank.
Old 12-11-2012, 08:57 AM
Archive

Hi Phil

As others have said, its nothing personal.

Speaking for myself, honestly I'm a rookie when it comes to anything other than T206s.

I try to help other board members if I can, but quite frankly I don't have much knowledge to offer when it comes to other baseball topics on this board.

Jantz
Old 12-11-2012, 09:16 AM
Phil Garry

"Even the recent thread regarding volunteers for a Negro League project resulted in a much less than overwhelming number of responses. I know that there are a number of Negro League experts on this board as evidenced by the competitive bidding every time a quality item comes up for auction.

I believe in doing my part to help the hobby and educate collectors but I guess many do not agree with this philosophy. It seems more like a self-serving venture for many and if it does not help "ME" (and might even hurt "ME" in terms of knowledge and competition) then it is not worth getting involved in."

This particular concept seemed to work out very well when three of the most knowledgable collectors in the hobby on one given subject joined forces to produce a masterpiece book pertaining to Old Judge baseball cards.

Last edited by bcbgcbrcb; 12-11-2012 at 09:37 AM.
Old 12-11-2012, 09:42 AM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcbgcbrcb View Post
"Even the recent thread regarding volunteers for a Negro League project resulted in a much less than overwhelming number of responses. I know that here are a number of Negro League experts on this board as evidenced by the competitive bidding every time a quality item comes up for auction.

I believe in doing my part to help the hobby and educate collectors but I guess many do not agree with this philosophy. It seems more like a self-serving venture for many and if it does not help "ME" (and might even hurt "ME" in terms of knowledge and competition) then it is not worth getting involved in."

This particular concept seemed to work out very well when three of the most knowledgable collectors in the hobby on one given subject joined forces to produce a masterpiece book pertaining to Old Judge baseball cards.
Phil, you are actually in perfect position to get what you want: you have a small group of interested people, not a massive group of helpers.

Work out your plan with those guys, come up with a succinct definition of scope, an outline, and anything else that will help give board members a 'visual' of what you plan to do. THEN ask again for volunteers.

I think the above approach will help you get past all the things that make such projects difficult to get off the ground. I won't get into detailed examples, but if you think about the approach Tim, Jim, etc took for their site, the approach I took with mine ten years ago, the approach the Old Judge guys took - you'll see three drastically different approaches, with three different results. Learn from that and do it better.
Old 12-11-2012, 10:33 AM
Steve P
Steven Pacc.hiano

I would deff respond to any thread that either interests me or that I have knowledge about, or that I can offer advice.
Successful transactions with: Drumback, Mart8081, Obcmac, Tonyo, markf31, gnaz01, rainier2004, EASE, Bobsbats, Craig M, TistaT202, Seiklis, Kenny Cole, T's please, Vic, marcdelpercio, poorlydrawncat, brianp-beme, mybuddyinc, Glchen, chernieto , old-baseball , Donscards, Centauri, AddieJoss, T2069bk,206fix, joe v, smokelessjoe, eggoman, botn, canjond

Looking for T205's or anything Babe Ruth...email or PM me if you have any to sell.
Old 12-11-2012, 11:05 AM
J@son M1ller

If people have looked at the thread but not responded, you can probably assume that they were not able to add to what you put down. I remember one thread you started where you asked for early postcards. I did a quick search and didn't find anything in the 1903-4 range that you were looking for so didn't think it helped to say "didn't find anything".

I think if people's eyes have looked at the thread, then you have at least titled the thread appropriately and gotten views. Whether people respond or not should then tell you the interest level or ability to help.

In many cases, the threads you put out there are very specific. I think Adam makes a good point. If you look at some of the stuff that Adam posts, you'll see that he also has very specific knowledge that is sometimes appreciated and commented on and sometimes appreciated silently.

“Blessed is he who expects nothing, for he shall never be disappointed.”
― Alexander Pope