NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 04-03-2016, 06:58 PM
Art Martineau

Default T206 Honus Wagner lot #1 in REA auction

Just reading about lot #1 in next weeks REA auction - T206 Honus Wagner, SGC10.
Here is a link to the Sports Collectors Daily article:

http://www.sportscollectorsdaily.com...r-t206-wagner/
Old 04-03-2016, 07:01 PM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Location: https://www.psacard.com/psasetregistry/mysetregistry/set/348387

man you just 'outed' an auction...!

thats a major violation...
Old 04-03-2016, 07:12 PM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1952boyntoncollector View Post
man you just 'outed' an auction...!

thats a major violation...
Seriously?
Old 04-03-2016, 07:17 PM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagetoppsguy View Post
Seriously?

Man i hope you arent serious saying that either...
Old 04-03-2016, 07:19 PM
Paul Herbener

Wasn't that the Wags that "Mr. Mint" had at Willow Grove back in the 80"s?
Old 04-03-2016, 07:37 PM
David $tephens

I'm confused. What did he do wrong? Was the in on a website and therefore public knowledge??? I'm unfamiliar with the unsaid rules of Internet Auctions.
Old 04-03-2016, 07:38 PM
Paul Herbener

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot172000 View Post
I'm confused. What did he do wrong? Was the in on a website and therefore public knowledge??? I'm unfamiliar with the unsaid rules of Internet Auctions.
I'm sure he was joking!
Old 04-03-2016, 07:40 PM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Quote:
I'm confused. What did he do wrong?
No, you are not confused. It is Jake that is confused. There are no rules about outing an auction. Leon has said that dozens of times.
Old 04-03-2016, 07:40 PM
Brendan Mullen

He was joking. It's fine to out a public auction. Not cool to out an eBay or similar auction.
Old 04-03-2016, 07:43 PM
je.sse @rnot

Quote:
It's generally considered bad form, but not against the rules to out an auction in case a member is bidding and doesn't want extra attention. In this case he was obviously joking.
Old 04-03-2016, 07:51 PM
Sean Costello

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokerplyr80 View Post
It's generally considered bad form, but not against the rules to out an auction in case a member is bidding and doesn't want extra attention. In this case he was obviously joking.
+1
Old 04-03-2016, 07:53 PM
David $tephens

What do you mean by outing? Does this mean if you see a card on EBay, it's best not to mention that listing until it has ended or risk drawing unwanted attention to a listing that someone on here is trying to get? I also figured that it was good business to bring up these larger auctions like REA or Heritage so folks maybe could find what they have been looking for. I will respect any unwritten rules on this forum or any other. Just wanting to know what they are helps. I wouldn't want to step on toes.
Old 04-03-2016, 08:17 PM
Eric Bea.chley

Quote:
What do you mean by outing? Does this mean if you see a card on EBay, it's best not to mention that listing until it has ended or risk drawing unwanted attention to a listing that someone on here is trying to get? I also figured that it was good business to bring up these larger auctions like REA or Heritage so folks maybe could find what they have been looking for. I will respect any unwritten rules on this forum or any other. Just wanting to know what they are helps. I wouldn't want to step on toes.
Yes. Imagine you spent 100's of hours searching for your personal Holy Grail. You finally see it listed in an unusual spot and are preparing to win it. Then it gets "announced" on the Board to everyone and another collector goes and makes an offer and gets it before the auction ends. D'oh!
Old 04-03-2016, 08:24 PM

This happened here a few weeks ago on a satchel Paige 48 leaf....is it illegal/bad form?
Old 04-03-2016, 08:30 PM
David $tephens

Quote:
Originally Posted by egbeachley View Post
Yes. Imagine you spent 100's of hours searching for your personal Holy Grail. You finally see it listed in an unusual spot and are preparing to win it. Then it gets "announced" on the Board to everyone and another collector goes and makes an offer and gets it before the auction ends. D'oh!
Oh, I get it. I have a few holy grail cards myself. But by the same token I would hope to find a lead on one of these cards through a site like this. There are folks on here that had cards posted and I didn't know it until it's too late. I do get it though. I guess that's what makes the PM function so essential.
Old 04-03-2016, 08:58 PM
je.sse @rnot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshwesley View Post
This happened here a few weeks ago on a satchel Paige 48 leaf....is it illegal/bad form?
It's never illegal or against the rules but is considered bad form in some cases. A 48 Paige on ebay would be seen by just about any one who is looking for one. T206 Wagners, 52 Mantles, and other high profile cards are, or should be exempt from this unwritten "rule." In my opinion at least, for what it's worth.
Old 04-03-2016, 09:01 PM
David $tephens

I agree. When any of the Big Six T206 cards come up, I want to know because it's exciting! I may never get any of them but the folklore surrounding this hobby has a lot to do with those cards. I am totally understanding about not wanting to screw up somebodies deal on a card, but these cards aren't really secrets of you are in the market for one anyway.
Old 04-03-2016, 09:15 PM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Quote:
I agree. When any of the Big Six T206 cards come up, I want to know because it's exciting! I may never get any of them but the folklore surrounding this hobby has a lot to do with those cards. I am totally understanding about not wanting to screw up somebodies deal on a card, but these cards aren't really secrets of you are in the market for one anyway.
Right that was the point of my joke...its a T206 Wagner...its going to get attention.....making fun of the people that complain about outing auctions as well......not against the rules at all as stated....
Old 04-03-2016, 09:16 PM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Quote:
No, you are not confused. It is Jake that is confused. There are no rules about outing an auction. Leon has said that dozens of times.
Eh , i think you are the one that is confused, its like you are the only one that thought i was serious......
Old 04-03-2016, 09:29 PM
pete ullman

what the hell is going on here? i don't think discussing the #1 lot in one of the most anticipated auctions of each and every year...that just happens to be a t206 wagner is breaking any "outing" rules.
Old 04-03-2016, 09:41 PM
je.sse @rnot

Quote:
Originally Posted by ullmandds View Post
what the hell is going on here? i don't think discussing the #1 lot in one of the most anticipated auctions of each and every year...that just happens to be a t206 wagner is breaking any "outing" rules.
Do you and David not get that Jake was being sarcastic?
Old 04-03-2016, 09:44 PM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Quote:
Do you and David not get that Jake was being sarcastic?
No, Jesse, I don't. Do you not read the many ridiculously stupid posts Jake makes? I thought that was just another one of them.

Last edited by vintagetoppsguy; 04-03-2016 at 09:47 PM.
Old 04-03-2016, 09:49 PM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Quote:
No, Jesse, I don't. Do you not read the many ridiculously stupid posts Jake makes?

Jesse can you believe this guy.....well vintagetopps guys posts here attacking me (because apparently i was serious about saying that the original poster was breaking rules on a #1 auction item) are pretty stupid and ridiculous ....i know jesse had to read those posts....guess he will have to compare your ridiculous posts with some other posts i made on other threads to see which is more ridiculous.....but you have a head start...maybe i can catch up.....but as far as attacking someone with no basis you already won that reward..

Last edited by 1952boyntoncollector; 04-03-2016 at 09:52 PM.
Old 04-03-2016, 09:56 PM
je.sse @rnot

Jake, you have to admit some of your responses are out there. And I do think you should stop the comments on BST listings. I will admit I have been guilty of that before too but have stopped.

David I get what you're saying, kind of, but I took this one as just a joke. I say we move on.

It is pretty cool that a t206 Wagner is up for auction. I always find them fun to watch, and like to dream of owning one some day.
Old 04-03-2016, 10:02 PM
ja.ke liebe.rman

[QUOTE=pokerplyr80;1523009]Jake, you have to admit some of your responses are out there. And I do think you should stop the comments on BST listings. I will admit I have been guilty of that before too but have stopped.

Yeah, i sure hope others follow that when i post b/s/t items so i assume your comment is made for those people too...

you can talk about 'other threads' all you want but its obvious on this thread about who is being ridiculous, you obviously knew i was joking......heck there were threads already about talking about outing a 1952 Mantle...since the other poster seems to like to comment about other threads, i wonder why he didnt read that one which i already expressed clear views about how you can't out a huge card....i guess that thread was ridiculous as well...

By the way there are many threads where people have said i was very helpful to them and also comments saying i made very useful posts....you cant simply just argue on a thread and say 'he says ridiculous things'

Last edited by 1952boyntoncollector; 04-03-2016 at 10:06 PM.
Old 04-03-2016, 10:09 PM
je.sse @rnot

It does appear that your sarcasm was lost on a couple of people this time but I got it. That's the problem with online posts I guess. Sarcasm and tone can be hard to detect, even though it seemed obvious in this case.

I mention the b/s/t comments because they bother some people and I think as a board we all should keep them to a minimum. Although some people invite them by refusing to post prices. That is another practice that I wish we could all agree to ban. No listing a card for sale without a price.
Old 04-03-2016, 10:13 PM
ja.ke liebe.rman

agreed as to comments on b/s/t .here is vintagetopps guy first post to my b/s/t saying i am insulting people..i dont think that was appropriate for b/s/t...first comment after my listing saying i am insulting people.......i think that was a ridiculous post.....and yes i then defend my post.but look at that behavior on b/s/t...if he just is proper he doesnt make any commments like that.....so theres a history there with this guy.....he wasnt going to give me the benefit of the doubt here......just giving full disclosure

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthr...hlight=basgall

by the way i dont think $1700 was that bad a price....its for sale this month in the Heritage Auction.....if card goes for more than $1700 which it is very likely .. i being attacked for offering a good deal on b/s/t

Last edited by 1952boyntoncollector; 04-03-2016 at 10:18 PM.
Old 04-03-2016, 10:30 PM
je.sse @rnot

In that case the comment shouldn't have been made, but it was also bad form to add the part about being above people's budget. You and I collect the same stuff and buy and sell here. And other members list pictures of single cards worth more than our entire collection. People will respond if the can afford it and are interested and will ignore it if they can't.

That's what I like about net54. You can have members posting Cobb collections worth a few hundred grand, and others selling 1990 upper deck Ben McDonalds. Something for everyone.
Old 04-03-2016, 10:42 PM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Quote:
In that case the comment shouldn't have been made, but it was also bad form to add the part about being above people's budget. You and I collect the same stuff and buy and sell here. And other members list pictures of single cards worth more than our entire collection. People will respond if the can afford it and are interested and will ignore it if they can't.

That's what I like about net54. You can have members posting Cobb collections worth a few hundred grand, and others selling 1990 upper deck Ben McDonalds. Something for everyone.
Again its b/s/t, if you can point to something in the ad and start commenting that opens the door for me to then comment on peoples b/s/t posts if i disagree in how its posted? of course not......either we can comment or we cant on b/s/t and..bottom line, his comments on b/s/t shouldnt have been made..and you can see from the other posts in the thread that he isnt exactly unbiased in his comments about being 'confused'..

plus the basgall card should end up being a very good deal..thats the funny part..it may sell for well over $2000 (i rarely see great deals on cards with no price listed)

Last edited by 1952boyntoncollector; 04-03-2016 at 10:47 PM.
Old 04-03-2016, 11:28 PM
qu@n nguy3n

It's a lose/lose proposition defending either party in this argument...so I'm just gonna say hi art you're probably glad you started this thread.
Old 04-04-2016, 12:06 AM
Bob Davies

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaddurbin View Post
It's a lose/lose proposition defending either party in this argument...so I'm just gonna say hi art you're probably glad you started this thread.
+1

And how 'bout that Honus card?
Old 04-04-2016, 05:16 AM
Frank
Fra.nk Anth0ny

Now, back to the Wagner. That is one ugly card!
Old 04-04-2016, 05:43 AM
J0$H B^ck!ey

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1952boyntoncollector View Post
Man i hope you arent serious saying that either...
He used the eye roll smiley .........
22/39 Unique Backs 56%
80/86 Minors 93%
25/48 Southern Leaguers 52%
6/10 Billy Sullivan back run 60%

237PSA / 94 SGC / 98 RAW

Excel spreadsheets only $5
T3, T201, T202, T204, T205, T206, T207, 1914 CJ, 1915 CJ, Topps 1952-1979, and more!!!!

Checklists sold (20)

T205 8/208 3.8%
Old 04-04-2016, 06:45 AM
Ben North

Quote:

We do have an "ignore" option on this site. It makes it so you see that Jake posted but only see the post if someone "quotes" it.