NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 12-10-2004, 11:59 AM
Administrator

Default OT - Auction Catalog Descriptions

Posted By: DD

The verbosity of descriptions of the collective targets of our mania and obsession, regarding items offered by the paragon of esteemed auction emporiums, seems thoroughly unnecessary and complicated. As the hobby of sports memorabilia matures, are we to expect palindromic haikus, and odes to cardboard playthings composed in iambic pentameter? Will competition amongst the auction giants force one to outdo the other, utilizing video re-enactment of memorabilia finds, and DVD's catalogs to all, for the sake of claiming a title of most grandiose catalog, such title surely having to exist to justify why this excess of language is used to begin with.

In laymen's terms, who writes the descriptions for Mastro, and other auction houses, and do they feel it is necessary to compose pages of text when describing a piece of cardboard? Think of the auction catalog printing costs that could be avoided on most of the items offered.

I clicked on John's (wonkaticket) link in the Mastro wins post and could not believe that a description composed of 409 words and 2616 characters (including spaces) is needed to describe a PSA 10 T-206 card?

Outside of items that require explanations and proof of provenance, does anyone read these descriptions in detail at all? Mastro's description of the Old Judge lots in his current auction is concise and gives all the information needed to bid. However, the hockey set uncut sheet lot uses the words magnitude, impart, configuration, luscious, treasures, and cornucopia all in the first paragraph.

I am only stating my opinion, and not b*tching about this, and honestly am writing this only as comic relief to see how many big words I could squeeze into a paragraph. On the other hand, how many of you think these descriptions are pretty silly? Looking back at what I've written, I'd better stop since this is getting too long as well.

Old 12-10-2004, 12:14 PM
Administrator

Posted By: andy becker

the copywriter is obviously paid by the hour
from my selling experience less is definetly more....but i doubt that mastro would go "textless".

Old 12-10-2004, 03:20 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Anonymous

..Mr. Bigelow I presume.

Old 12-13-2004, 11:16 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Brian H (misunderestimated)

Some observations...

As noted above, the Old Judge lot descriptions were quite terse -- I think that's because the bright folks at MastroNet know that real prospective bidders for these kind of lots only need to know (and perhaps only want to hear) the facts. They don't need to be told how old/rare/valuable Old Judge cards in large groups are -- they just need to be told which cards are in the groups (in the terms spoken by Old Judge mavens).

Conversely, the Donlin T206 card description (perhaps written by Robin Leach after getting kicked out of a Starbucks for drinking too much). Well, what sells that card is not simply that it's a Donlin T206 (avg. price about $50 in OK shape). Donlin was a pretty good player, colorful guy in his day..... No, what sells that card is the condition....Or more, specifically, the holder which tells all potential buyers how rare and valuable the card is. And no, just writing "PSA 10" won't cut it. These potential bidders need to know what that means -- how rare it is, how that makes it not only the best T206 Donlin but the best T206. Now maybe you've got the big dollar guys interested they want to own the BEST .... Well why would that matter? I don't know but it does to alot of folks with a lot of money (and admittedly to some extent, sometimes, even to me).

Old 12-14-2004, 04:37 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Bozo

I got a headache from reading the Donlin description.

Old 12-14-2004, 05:32 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Scott

It has absolutely no effect on my bidding (as far as I know) but the catalogs are fun to read.

Old 12-14-2004, 10:08 AM
Administrator

Posted By: JimB

They can get a little verbose at times, but their catalogues can be very educational, particularly on the obscure issues. I think they do a great job on the catalogues.
JimB

Old 12-14-2004, 10:40 AM
Administrator

Posted By: hankron

Some people like the sacharine descriptions and some people don't (I'll take a pass), but as long as they're accurate that's what counts.

Old 12-14-2004, 10:52 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Nick M.

As most of you know I write auction descriptions as my part time job.

I can tell you it is difficult to be descriptive and not boring at the same time. I have always enjoyed reading auction catalogs, so for me writing is fun. As Brian said, you have to cater to the audience that will be bidding on the item you are describing. Also, you have to pepper that with a few of the basics for those who may not know allot about the item but are interested in bidding.

Nick

Old 12-14-2004, 11:43 AM
Administrator

Posted By: hankron

As a bidder, I need lengthy explanation/history for an item I'm not familir with (Thomas Edison's cane or Toto's Oz-used collar), but don't want that 'kiddie beginner stuff' for a lot I'm familiar with. Obviously MastroNet or other auction house isn't catering the catalog to me or any other individual, and writes many auction lots as if the reader is new to the area. Which is more than understandable ... As I said, as long as the descriptions are accurate, I can live with the flower prose.