NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 07-16-2007, 04:13 PM
Administrator

Default Any other Figurine collectors out there?

Posted By: Keith

Do any of you guys out there collect vintage sports figurines?
I collect (in addition to many other things) football nodders, kail statues, and hartlands with a focus on Philadelphia Eagles items.
Are there any prewar sports figurines to speak of?

Here are some photos of my stuff.

Old 07-16-2007, 09:10 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Max Weder

This is the only one I have, but I'll never admit it in public

Old 07-17-2007, 09:15 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Rhys

I know some people collect the Rittgers Statues from the 1940's for display. You can pick them up pretty cheap when they pop up on ebay every now and then and they make for a cool display.

Rhys

Old 07-17-2007, 11:16 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Mike

I've got the Rittgers set. I also have most of the early 60's hall of fame busts. many still in the original boxes. I also have the bigger Jimmie Foxx ceramic, not the small cheap piece of junk, but the real one. I also a statue of Mathewson and Joe Jackson. And the autographed #7 of mantle. i think they made like 355 of them or something like that. Also have some of the cheaper ceramics of Ruth and gehrig. The 7 inchers. I have more, but can't recall which ones.

Old 07-17-2007, 03:31 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Rob Dewolf

Old 07-17-2007, 04:41 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dan Bretta

Nice stuff Rob. Did you get all that dinnerware just recently or was it only the creamer that you posted about the other day?

Old 07-17-2007, 04:46 PM
Administrator

Thanks, Dan.

I picked up my first piece of that about seven years ago. The airbrushed-looking pieces on the right are tougher to come across than the ones on the left, which were used at the Stadium Club at Cleveland Stadium. I'm pretty sure that the only piece I'm missing of the dark-red pieces is a saucer to go with the coffee mug. But that's only a guess, since there's no checklist or anything like that.

Old 07-17-2007, 05:04 PM
Administrator

Rob, on the lefthand side of your shelf are those Mazzolini (Sp?) figurines? And is that unpainted one a prototype? You have a very impressive collection.

Old 07-17-2007, 05:20 PM
Administrator

Thanks again, Dan.

Yes, they're all Manzolini (I'm not sure if this is spelled correctly and am too lazy to look it up) figures. The middle two are vintage, albeit with bases of different thicknesses.

The left one simply is unpainted, and I have my doubts it's vintage. There was a run of these produced in the eighties by a gentleman who had similar molds to that of the original. He didn't produce them with the intent to deceive, but unfortuantely I see them being passed off as originals. The painting is the tell-tale sign, as newer ones have a flat finish compared with the originals.

The one on the far right is one of the newer ones that, along with several others, originally was manufactured by the man mentioned above for a native American Indian group that was putting on a presentation to Cleveland Indians management, trying to persuade the club to do away with Chief Wahoo. They ordered a couple figurines painted black, a couple with Asian features, etc. The point being that the club would never use those types of Chief Wahoos because they would be deemed offensive, so why use Chief Wahoo? The man produced a few more than needed and eventually sold them.

I got this one from a good friend who's a very respected Cleveland Indians collector around these parts and bought the extras, so I have every reason to believe the story. In fact, my friend is the person who sold you your most recent Lincoln pin.

Small world, huh?

Old 07-17-2007, 06:08 PM
Administrator

Bud Carter? Super nice guy...he even refunded me some of my shipping. You don't see that on ebay very often.

Old 07-17-2007, 06:19 PM
Administrator

I know I'll never meet a nicer or more honest person than Bud. He helped me immensely in putting together a complete collection of Indians pencil clips, and his advice and knowledge over the years has been invaluable. Just a great guy. Refunding part of your postage cost on an eBay transaction is just a glimpse of what kind of character he has.

Old 07-17-2007, 07:35 PM
Administrator

Posted By: DMcD

Because I grew up watching Mantle and the Boys, I couldn't resist buying this set of figurines of the '61 Yanks. Some of the likenesses are incredible. Left to right are Richardson, Kubek, Maris, Mantle, Howard, Berra, Skowron (Yay!), Boyer, Ford and Mgr. Houk. Wished they had done the previous year if just to have ol' Casey. Have a Berra Hartland in addition to the Mantle and Mays jobs. Otherwise, I am more of a card collector although I do have a nifty collection of WW2 era hula dolly figurines (whose naughty bits have been edited in order to placate He Who Must Be Obeyed).

Old 07-18-2007, 03:15 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Joseph

Rob DeW,

I am clearly not worthy of my logo pic.

Old 07-18-2007, 05:01 PM
Administrator

I'm just glad my house has never been picketed by anti-Wahoo groups. If they knew of all the Chief stuff inside ...

Old 07-18-2007, 08:52 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dan

I enjoy collecting figures and other memorabilia. I very rarely post and have never posted a picture so I am not sure if this will work but here are a few items that are in my collection.

Old 07-18-2007, 08:58 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Clint

Wow guys, I love the displays. They are really first rate. Dan, welcome to the forum. Looking forward to your future posts.

Clint

Old 07-18-2007, 09:13 PM
Administrator

Dan, great displays there. I love those display cases. Looks like you're hoarding all the Nellie Fox Hartlands.

Old 07-19-2007, 04:21 AM
Administrator

Beautiful display and collection Dan. I want to move my collection into a similar display after I have the other half of my basement finished and have room for it. I see your collection has a focus on Minnesota items. Do you have any Eagles harltands or nodders that you be interested in trading? I have some Vikings nodders that I could part with.

Old 07-19-2007, 07:14 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Dan

Thanks to everyone for the compliments. I am just excited to be able to show off some of my collection to people who appreciate it. My wife and most of my friends could care less about sports memorabilia so it is nice to be able to show some of it off to people who know what it is.

Keith, I am pretty sure I don't have any Eagles Hartlands. I am looking for the following if anyone has them - Real Face Vikings Nodder or the Type 4 Toes Up Vikings nodder? I also would like to get the Vikings KAIL small down lineman.

I really enjoy seeing the different displays.

Dan

Old 07-19-2007, 11:29 AM
Administrator

Hello Dan,

I do have a Vikings toes up nodder but not sure which type. I'll check it when I get home tonight. The only other Vikings nodder I have is the basic merger series gold base

thanks
Keith

Old 07-19-2007, 12:32 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Tom Boblitt

piece made for 100th anniversary of the first Louisville Slugger in 1984........tough piece to come by.......

Old 07-19-2007, 06:33 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Mike H

I went through a nodder phase years ago and am glad I did. They are great fun to collect and have a real charm to them. They are at the top of the two shelves with a few other figures on the lower shelves.

[IMG][/IMG]

Old 07-19-2007, 07:52 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Joseph

Marked 1913 Louis V. Aronson (ie Ronson) 1913, allegedly modeled after
Honus Wagner...

Old 07-19-2007, 08:10 PM
Administrator

I no longer have this one (sold it last year) - but I found this at a garage sale for a quarter a couple of years ago. Made by Plasto - I have also seen an umpire in the same series.