NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 06-12-2013, 02:11 PM
Ted Zanidakis

Default The T206 "Elite Eight" have become the "Elite Eleven"

A recent internet survey that has sampled 100,000+ T206 cards has revealed that the unique group of eight T206's that I have referred to as the "Elite Eight"
has 3 additional "cousins"....therefore, now we have the "Elite Eleven".

For you new guys on Net54 that are interested in such nitty-gritty regarding T206's, I will reprise the history of the "Elite Eleven" here............

Back in 2006, a number of us T206 "Nut-54er's" conducted numerous surveys on this forum. Sparked by Barry Arnold's famous EPDG thread, we had tons of fun.
One of these surveys focused on certain "150/350 series" cards. This particular survey resulted in sorting out 14 subjects from the then known 150/350 series.

1st.......initially we narrowed this group of 14 subjects to 7 of the 8 that are pictured in this 1st group of scans.....Dahlen, Ewing, Ganley, Tom Jones, Karger,
Lindaman, and Mullin (horiz.).....and, we included Lundgren (Cubs). These 8 guys barely qualify as 150/350 subjects, by virtue of the fact that they are very
rarely found with a PIEDMONT 350 back. No SOVEREIGN 350, SWEET CAPORAL 350, etc..

2nd.......in this process, we discovered Red Ames (hands at chest) and Larry Doyle (throwing) are 150-Only subjects. Previously, thought to have been 150/350
subjects.

3rd.......Frank Schulte (front view) was originally considered in the surveys as part of this "Elite" group, not enough info was available then to include this card.
A unique sample of a PIEDMONT 350 Schulte has been confirmed (no EPDG yet); so, it has been included in this group in recently.

4th.......although, Schaefer and Spencer were originally considered in the surveys as belonging to this "Elite" group, these two subjects were uncertain back in
2006. Therefore, they were not included in the original "Elite" group.
My recollection is that Shaw was not considered.

What makes these 11 subjects quite unique is this.....the majority of the population of these 11 are found with 150 series backs (PIEDMONT, SOVEREIGN, and
SWEET CAPORAL). Also, very rarely with Brown HINDU (Karger & Mullin have yet to be confirmed with this back). Furthermore, the Bob Ewing, Tom Jones, and
Tubby Spencer cards are also found with the SWEET CAPORAL 150, Factory 649 (overprint) back.

Original "Elite Eight" subjects

Three additional subjects

Although Lundgren (Cubs) was not printed with HINDU, SOVEREIGN, nor SWEET CAPORAL....this card is very similar to the ELITE 11 with respect to
the initial 350 press runs of PIEDMONT 350 and EPDG.

TED Z

__________________________________________________ _____________________
LOOKING FOR these T206 guys to complete my AMERICAN BEAUTY 460 sub-set

AMES....CAMNITZ....CRAWFORD (bat)....DOYLE (port)....JORDAN (bat)....McGRAW (port-cap)
McQUILLAN (bat)....TINKER (bat off)....WILTSE (port-cap)
Old 06-12-2013, 03:41 PM
Craig M

I love it Ted!

...so tell me, what recent turn of events led you to include the new three?

Craig
Old 06-12-2013, 06:00 PM
Ted Zanidakis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig M View Post
I love it Ted!

...so tell me, what recent turn of events led you to include the new three?

Craig

Hi Craig

The Schaefer & Spencer were suspected back in 2006 when we were doing a survey in Barry Arnold's EPDG thread. Art Mrtineau responded to that
survey indicating that Schaefer very likely belonged to this Elite group.

I was monitoring Spencer in the survey. But, for whatever reasons which I cannot recall, both of these subjects were discontinued from the survey.

Anyhow, to answer your question, it was recently brought to my attention that it is evident that Schaefer, Shaw, and Spencer are only found with
the ususl complement of 150 series backs.....and, the PIEDMONT 350 and EPDG backs. But, not with SOVEREIGN 350, nor SWEET CAP 350, nor any
other 350-type back.

This fact is based on empirical data gleaned from a huge T206 survey of 100,000+ cards.

TED Z
Old 06-12-2013, 07:42 PM
Craig M

Tim...you said "selfishly holding back"...

That could not be further from the truth; it's called being smart.

I would like to thank you, Ted and the countless others that continue to pour your heart and soul into T206 research. It amazes me that it's been over 100 years and secrets about T206 are still being revealed.

To witness this in my lifetime is a very special day for sure and I look forward to more reveals.

"gratias tibi"

Craig
Old 06-13-2013, 11:30 AM
Ted Zanidakis

Default The T206 "Elite Eight" have become the "Elite Eleven"

The following info provides the status of 10 of these ballplayers during the time period of April 1909 >> 1910 season which may well explain why these guys
were "short-circuited" with respect to the usual full complement of 350-type backs (as are typical of most of the other T206's in the 150/350 series group).

Note
The timeline of the transitional status of these 10 player's is approximately concurrent with American Lithographic's start-up of printing their 350 cards.
Of which the PIEDMONT brand was printed first.

Bill Dahlen...............Oct 27, 1909....signed by Brooklyn

Bob Ewing...............Jan 10, 1910....traded tp the Phillies

Bob Ganley..............May 18, 1909....traded to Philadelphia A's

Tom Jones...............Aug 20, 1909....traded to Detroit

Ed Karger................June 9, 1909.....sold to St. Paul Saints (American Association)
.............................July 26, 1909....traded to Boston (AL)

Vive Lindaman..........July 7, 1909....Major League career ends

Carl Lundgren...........Apr 23, 1909....Major League career ends

Germany Schaefer.....Aug 13, 1909....traded to Washington

Al Shaw..................1910....played with Wichita Jobbers (Western League)

Tubby Spencer.........1910....played with St. Paul Saints (American Association)

Needless to say....the PIEDMONT 350 cards and the EPDG cards of these 12 - T206's are very rare and will usually sell for a premium.

Unless, of course, you are lucky to find any of them selling for a common price. I don't think that will occur with the Lundgren card

Questions are welcomed, and appreciated.

TED Z
Old 06-13-2013, 11:39 AM
nels0n aud.et

Interresting thread Ted

THX
Old 06-12-2013, 03:51 PM
Tim

I've been sitting on information about these cards for some time now. Admittedly, I have been selfishly holding back in an effort to try and acquire an example of each of these before exposing all of the cards and their difficulty. Fortunately with today's crazy prices I'm almost complete. Now that the cats almost all the way out of the bag, myself and a couple other collectors have been tracking and collecting these cards for years and believe the list includes at least one more subject.

Here are a couple of mine.

Old 06-12-2013, 04:18 PM
Chris Browne
Administrator

Tim I had those 11, you think there are more?